Between the Raindrops

Unwanted Surprise

Cameron’s POV:
“Do we have to come back home today?” Abby asks. We’re heading for the airport in a few hours, leaving behind Jamaica.
“Yes, Abby, we do. Don’t you want to see Cali and Claire again?” I ask her and she pretends to think about it. I look at her.
“I guess. But I do like being with just you and not having anyone interrupt us.”
“Well that’s what we have an apartment for.” We still haven’t bought a house and I won’t tell her the reason why; it’s a surprise she’s going to love.
“Cause there’s so much privacy there.” She rolls her eyes.
“Abby, we’ll move out of it one day.”
“Don’t you think I know that?” She yells. “I’m sorry, it’s just, weird.”
“I know it is.” I hug her, preparing for the tears.
“No crying now. This is the end of our honeymoon and I’m not going to ruin it with tears.”
“Look at you, Abby.” She grins.
“Don’t get too used to it, babe.” She tells me and continues packing.
“Wouldn’t dare.” I walk in the bathroom. “Abby, can’t you clean up the toothpaste from the sink?” I ask her and she laughs.
“You still don’t know I won’t after we've been living together a while.”
“I was hoping you would have learned.” I laugh.
“We have a maid here for a reason.”
“Not at home.” I tell her.
“Oh, so that’s not why we got married?” I walk out.
“For that, I’m going to have to get you.” I tackle her and she squeals.
“No, Cam, don’t mess up my hair.” I smile.
“Like this?” I ask and flip her hair in front of her face. She starts kicking and punching, but she’s missing me.
“You’re so going to pay for this.” She kicks more and I laugh, then she kicks me in the shin.
“Ow, geez, Abby.” She sits up, her jaw dropped.
“Did I hurt you, Cam?” She asks and is running for the ice bucket. I hide the pain and limp over to her.
“Don’t worry about it, I’m okay.” She makes me sit.
“It’s already bruising. I’m sorry. Cam, why are you laughing?” She asks then starts laughing, too.
“Looks like I paid.” I tell her and she sits next to me.
“Are you sure you don’t want ice for it? We have a long plane ride back home and I’ve already packed pain killers; I’m not getting them back out.”
“I think I’ll live.” I tell her. We finish packing and head for the airport. She falls asleep soon after we takeoff. I wake her up when we land and she kisses me.
“I love you.” She says.
“I love you, too.” We grab our luggage and I drive to the apartment.
“Wait, Cam, stop.” I pull over and then I see it. She sees Cali and Zach’s apartment building. She jumps out and runs in. I run after her.
“Abby, don’t do it!” I yell after her.
“Cali, Zach, what’s going on?” Abby asks. I should have told her earlier; I should have let them tell her. I just didn’t want to ruin our wedding or honeymoon.
“Maybe you should come inside, Abby.” Zach tells her.