Between the Raindrops

The Incident

Cameron’s POV:
“You must be Cameron. I’m Ryder Pierce.” I shake Abby’s dad’s hand.
“Hi, I’m Sarah.” Her mom hugs me and Abby runs downstairs.
“So, we’re leaving now and he’ll have me back by ten.” She tells her parents.
“You can stay out till eleven if you lose track of time.” She and I both look at her dad.
“Really?” She hugs him and we leave. I open the door for her and she smiles.
“Are you ready for our second date?” I ask her and she laughs.
“Definitely. If I haven’t scared you off yet, then you’re special.”
“You can’t scare me off.” I tell her. I drive to the mini golf place.
“Oh, the one place where you’re gonna beat me.” She laughs and I run to open the door for her.
“I think I could beat you at Guitar Hero.” I tell her.
“Hey, not fair.” She tells me, smiling. I take her hand and we get in the line to pay.
“All is fair in love and war.” I tell her and she raises an eyebrow.
“I’m not quite sure that’s what that means. It’s more saying we can trick each other and hide stuff, but okay, if that’s how you want to play this.”
“Should I be afraid now?” I ask her and she laughs.
“Let’s just say, you, me, and a club to play mini golf could end tragically.” I put my arm around her and we walk to get our clubs.
“I’ll have to watch my back then.”
“But all is fair, so you should trust me.” She winks and swings her club around. I catch it in mid-swing.
“Be careful with that thing.” She laughs and we walk to the first hole. She swings and the ball goes wildly.
“Dang, what’s sad is that’s my best shot ever.” She laughs until I get in the hole on the first shot.
“Here, let me help you.” I grab her arms and help her swing. It goes in on the second chance.
“Thank you!” She spins around to thank me and I duck.
“I like my head attached to my neck.” I say, laughing. Her hands fly up to her mouth.
“Cameron, I am so sorry. Did I hit you?” She asks.
“No, I’m fine. Don’t worry about it, Abby.” She picks up the club and I get the balls. We walk to the second hole and she swings.
“Look, I got a hole in one!” She screams and I give her a high five.
“Congratulations.”
“I’m a fast learner.” I get ready to hit and then I see her, the wind blowing in her hair. “Uhm, you’re worse than me.” She laughs and I realize I moved the ball an inch. I start laughing.
“Sure looks like it.” I go to hit again and it takes me five times.
“This is only the second hole, Cam, you better get your act together.”
“I’ll try.” It’s hard with you distracting me, though. She ends up beating me by a point and I drive her home.
“Good night, Cameron.”
“Night, Abby. See you next Sunday?” I ask her.
“Sounds great. Call later for details?”
“Of course.” She smiles and shuts the door when I walk off.