Today, Destiny Is Our Friend.

The Era of the Phoenix

“We've received many claims, all of which proved to be false.” The man, a tall ancient male with a long white beard and blue eyes, said calmly. “How can you be certain?”
My mother, a short thin woman with long black hair and golden eyes, spoke kind and gentle, as if she were talking to one of her children. “The signs are undeniable, it has become very obvious that our daughter is indeed the one. She has not only showed immense talent in her earthbending but her firebending as well, but she-”
“Enough.” The man held up a pale hand, the sleeve of his blue robe sliding down to expose five thin fingers. “Let us see for ourselves. Where is the girl?”
My mother smiled warmly. “Amaya, please come in here.”
A very young, very untrained Avatar Amaya burned a hole through the wall, stumbling in with a large grin on her face. She smiled before stomping on the ground, making a medium-sized chunk of earth rise in front of her and fly across the room. It hit and shattered a large vase.
“I'm the Avatar!” She screamed. Then, with a quick hand gesture, a few drops of my mothers famous spice tea flew in the living room and hit the mans colleague square in the face. He grimaced but quickly shook it off.
My mother and father chuckled and looked upon me as if I were the greatest thing they had ever seen, the White Lotus looking at me the same way.

Eleven years ago, I was just a small child who couldn't seem to find her place in the world; with a firebending mother and an earthbending father, I never fit in anywhere and I was constantly made fun of for having a mother who belonged to the 'enemy side'. Now I'm a teenage Avatar who's mastered two and a half elements and lives in the Earth Kingdom, trying to live a normal life although sometimes it seems impossible. Being the Avatar isn't as great as it sounds, especially in these times.
The world has been separated again; the nations are becoming more and more independent and Republic City is no longer safe. The Water Tribes, Earth Kingdom and the very few Air Nomads still alive today are huddling in fear at the sight of the enemy, the enemy who never truly seemed to fade away.

The Fire Nation.

Over the years since Aangs time, there have been secret meetings among firebenders, bringing about ideas of the olden days when fire was the most powerful force of all. Gathering a hidden following, most of the firebending population decided that their defeat was most definitely not final, and that they were ready to create a new era, an era in which the Fire Nation would conquer and destroy all on their path to victory.
This era was to be called the Era of the Phoenix.
This new movement was put into motion about two months ago. Even after just a few months, the Fire Nation had wiped out hundreds of people, just like last time. People are going missing, losing their bending and dying. No one is stopping them and the armies are dying in vast numbers.
As of this moment I'm sitting in an underground bunker, deep beneath the city and surrounded by earthbending soldiers with a few members of the White Lotus. I'm antsy in my seat, hearing the screaming people and blasts of fire being thrown above us. I hear one particular blast and wince at the screams of terror that follow.
My mother placed her hand on my shoulder. “You're going to be okay, do not worry. We're safe.”
“Yeah, we're safe. They're not.” I point upwards towards the ceiling.
“All is well, it's just-”
“Just the thousands of citizens of Ba Sing Se? Yeah, don't worry, all that matters is that I'm okay.” I retorted. One of the members of the White Lotus, Shu, cleared his throat.
“We were given specific orders from Avatar Korra to keep you safe at any cost. She-”
“Isn't that what they told her about Aang wanting to keep her safe? They lied to her, so how do I know you aren't lying to me?”
“Amaya.” My mother warned. “Silence.”
“You are the Avatar, the one who is to bring balance to the world, the ultimate defense against evil. We cannot risk you dying, not today, not here.”
“If I'm 'the ultimate defense against evil' then why am I not up there fighting? Why am I not stopping them?”
“Because this is but a minor threat, nothing to get worked up about!” Shu protested. I stood and looked around at all of the people, from the White Lotus members to the soldiers to my frightened mother.
“I don't care what you think.” I said. “I'm going up there.”
“Amaya!”
“No!”
I raised a fist and watched a tunnel form above us, cutting through the earth and straight to the surface where the light was seeping through. I raised the earth beneath me and flew through the tunnel, the earth closing up below me as I went. The second I was above the earth, a blast of fire was shot and my ears rang at the yells of anger around me.
“The Avatar!”
“Attack her!”
I was surrounded by Fire Nation soldiers; at least ten. I took my fighting stance and shot a boulder at them, knocking a few out. I did this a few times and knocked a few more soldiers to the ground.
Before I knew what was happening, multiple Earth Kingdom soldiers were at my side, shooting more boulders at them. I sighed, but continued fighting.
“Amaya!” My mother flung her arms around my neck, pulling me down to the ground with her as the soldiers guarded us. I angrily pulled away and stood, shooting a blast of fire at another soldier.
This was ridiculous, I'm a fighter, not someone who runs and hides with their mother. How was I ever supposed to be the Avatar if people couldn't even take me seriously?