Status: Under heavy editing!

The Human Mind Is Not a Terribly Logical or Consistent Place

Chapter 14

The Human Mind is Not a Terribly logical or Consistent place

Chapter 14

I stood aboard the enterprise listening to the people above me. Kirk and Leo were currently distracting the alien race while Uhura, Spock, and Sulu were fixing the volcano. I laughed listening to Leo and Kirk run one after what would be their ride and the other from the species we were trying to save. Kirk stopped short pulling out his weapon and stunning the creature Leo was running after, “Dammit, man! That was our ride! You just stunned our ride!” Leo yelled.

“Ah, Great,” Kirk said through deep breaths. The species was getting closer to them and they took off running towards the cliff.

“What the hell did you take?” Leo asked running behind the captain.

“I have no idea, but they were bowing to it,” Kirk replied opening his communicator. “Kirk to shuttle one, locals are out of the damage zone. Spock, get in there, neutralize the volcano and let’s get out of here,” Kirk yelled into to communicator.

“We have to do this now! I told the captain the shuttle wasn’t built for this kind of heat,” Sulu said as they readied for the drop.

“Captain, did the indigenous life form see you?” Spock asked.

“Spock he is clear they haven’t seen him. . . yet,” I replied into the communicator.

“The Prime Directive clearly states there can be no interference in the internal development of the
civilization,” Spock replied.

“I know what it says! Which is why I’m running through the jungle wearing a disguise!” Kirk yelled back slightly out of breath as him and Leo continued running. “Now drop off your super ice cube and let’s go! Kirk out!” Kirk yelled hanging up the communicator.

“You’re good,” Uhura said to Spock who got ready with the device.

“If we’re gonna do this, we’ve got to do this now!” Sulu told Spock, “The ash is killing our coils,” Sulu finished trying to hurry Spock up as he sat down in the driver seat.

“You sure you don’t want me to go instead?” Uhura asked Spock.

“That would be highly illogical as I am already outfitted. . .” Spock said before Uhura rushed in her nervous getting the best of her.

“Spock, I was kidding,” She said before kissing the glass of his helmet. “You got this.”

“Guys!, we have to go! NOW!” Sulu yelled back at them.

“Kirk and leo were running as the species through spears at there fleeing forms. “They’re trying to kill us!” Leo yelled at Kirk. “They’re trying to kill us, Jim!” Leo yelled again as a spear flew over his head.

“I’ll see you in 90 seconds,” Uhura told Spock before moving to her seat in the front the doors closing behind her so they could drop Spock down.

“Do it, do it,” Sulu told Uhura who was holding the drop lever. She slammed it forward and watch ashes fly up where Spock once stood.

“Spock be quick and careful,” I explained.

“I know doctor,” he replied softly falling through the air.

“I can’t hold this position. Spock I’ve got to pull you back up,” Sulu explained as the ship beeped.

“Negative. This is our only chance to save this species,” Spock replied with persistence. “If this volcano erupts the planet dies.”

“Pull him back up, Sulu. We aren’t losing Spock over a routine mission,” I ordered.

“Pull him back up now!” Sulu ordered to Uhura who pulled the lever to bring him up but as Spock started to move up the rope snapped leaving him in the volcano.

“Spock, are you okay?” Uhura asked worry in her voice.

“I am. . . Surprisingly alive. Stand by,” Spock replied.

“We have to get him back, I’ll suit up,” Uhura said turning to Sulu.

“We have to abandon the shuttle,” Sulu replied.

“We can’t just leave him, Sulu!” She fought.

“Uhura you have no choice abandon the shuttle or you fall with it,” I said over the comms.

“Uhura I’m sorry,” Sulu said sadly.

“Spock, we’re going back to the Enterprise. We’ll get you out of there,” Uhura said through the comms.

“Captain, I’m ditching the shuttle,” Sulu told Kirk.

“Wonderful,” Kirk replied sarcastically.

“Uhura! Ready to swim?” Sulu asked stripping down to his swim outfit.

“I’m ready,” she replied already in hers.

“Jim! Jim! The beach is that way!” Leo yelled to Kirk.

“I know we’re not going to the beach!” Kirk yelled placing the scroll in a tree for the species and they continued towards the cliff.

“Oh, no, no, no!” Leo yelled. “I hate this!” He complained.

“I know you do!” Kirk yelled back. as they continued running right off the cliff and into the water below where we waited in the Enterprise.

I walked down with Scotty to retrieve the men from the chamber. My 4 month pregnant belly showing through my dress. “Do you have any idea how ridiculous it is to hide a starship at the bottom of the ocean? We’ve been down here since last night! The salt water’s gonna ruin the -” Scotty rambled until Kirk cut him off.

“Scotty! Where’s Spock?”

“He is still down in the volcano, the rope snapped and the ship had to be abandoned, sir,” I replied as we made our way up to the bridge.

“Captain on the bridge,” Chekov said as we arrived at the bridge. Everyone moving into the positions.

“Lieutenant, do we have an open channel to Mr. Spock?” Kirk asked Uhura the nervous Uhura.

“The heat’s frying his comms but we still have contact,” Uhura replied looking at Kirk who nodded slightly.

“Spock?” Kirk asked through the comms.

“I have activated the device, Captain. When the countdown is complete, the reaction should render the volcano inert,” Spock explained.

“Yeah and that is going to render him inert,” Leo said looking at Kirk.

“I can hold up a shield but I can’t promise he will be completely safe from the blast,” I said looking up at the captain who shook his head no.

“We don’t need you injured as well and a death. De we have use of the transporters?” Kirk asked Sulu and Chekov.

“Negative, sir,” Sulu replied.

“No with these magnetic fields,” Chekov explained.

“I need to beam Spock back to the ship. Give me one way to do it,” Kirk ordered.

“Maybe if we had a direct line of sight. If we got closer. . .” Chekov started but Scotty cut him off.

“Hold on, wee man! You’re talking about an active volcano! Sir, if that thing erupts, I cannae guarantee we can withstand the heat!” Scotty said his accent think in his words.

“I don’t know that we can maintain that kind of altitude,” Sulu added.

“Our shuttle was concealed by the ash cloud but the enterprise is too large. If utilized in a rescue effort, it would be revealed to the indigenous species,” Spock explained.

“Spock, nobody knows the rules better than you, but there has got to be an exception,” Kirk fought.

“None. Such action violates the Prime Directive.”

“Shut up, Spock! We’re trying to save you, dammit!” leo yelled at him.

“Doctor, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.” Spock replied.

“Spock, we’re talking about your life!” Kirk yelled.

“A rule cannot be broken,” Spock replied his comms breaking up.

“Spock!” Kirk yelled at the comms. “Try to get him back online,” Kirk ordered to Uhura.

“Ninety seconds to detonations,” Chekov announced. As Uhura tried to connect to Spock.

“If Spock were here and I were there, what would he do?” Kirk asked Leo and I.

“He’d let you die,” Leo replied looking straight forward. As Kirk though over his words.

I looked over at Kirk, “Raise the ship so no one has to die. I’ll take the fall if it comes to that,” I stated as Kirk gave orders to raise the ship. The Enterprise push up through the water and over to the volcano letting Spock transport back into the ship just before the device went off.

“Spock! You alright?” Kirk asked as we ran, to Spock.

“Captain, you let them see our ship,” Spock stated.

“He’s fine,” Leo waved off.

“Bridge to Captain Kirk,” Uhura said through the Comms.

“Yes, lieutenant.”

“Is Commander Spock on board, sir?” She asked.

“Safely and soundly,” Kirk replied.

“Please notify him that his device has successfully detonated,” she finished turning off her comm.

“You hear that? Congratulations, Spock. You just saved the world,” Kirk congratulated.

“You violated the Prime Directive,” Spock replied.

“Oh, com on, Spock. They saw us, big deal,” Kirk replied.

“I’m at fault here Spock, I’m taking the fall for this if it gets out of hand,” I explained to him.

“How when you are not the one giving orders?” He asked.

“I am higher rank than everyone on this ship after London, I choose to stay in my place, now be happy you are still alive. Only a true friend will choose to save a life when they can be fired for it,” I stated sharply.

“I wouldn’t piss her off, hormones drive women crazy,” Leo warned as I smiled at him.

“I am confused by many of your actions,” Spock sighed removing his helmet.

“Don’t worry only 5 more months of my hormones, but I will still be higher ranked Commander,” I stated before turning away.