Status: Under heavy editing!

The Human Mind Is Not a Terribly Logical or Consistent Place

Chapter 4

The Human Mind is Not a Terribly Logical or Consistent Place
Chapter 4

The ships bursted into Vulcan space as it dropped out of warp. The flaming hull of a Starfleet ship barreling towards the bridge. “Emergency evasive!” Pike yelled.

“On it, Sir!” Sulu yelled back as the Enterprise dips fast and hard and the spinning debris just scrapes the ships. The bridge shakes slightly but rights itself. We noticed the Narada floating above the planet our eyes all widened at the monumental ship.

Spock snapped to Pike as an image flashed on his console, “Captain, they’re locking torpedoes!” He spoke as we all look to my father for safety.

“Full reverse, come about starboard ninety degrees! Drop us down underneath them! Prepare to fire all weapons! And Adrien how is your shields doing?” Pike ordered looking at me.

“I don’t know if I can cover the whole ship. What about the ship’s shields?” I asked as he looked intently at me.

“Wait, what shield? How could Adrien have shields of her own?” Leo asked looking between us.

“I’m surprised she hasn’t told you yet Dr. McCoy, you are her favorite after all. Adrien Pike is a powerful telepath and telekinetic. Have you never wondered how she can easily get into peoples minds, she can do it without the machines it is just a harder and longer process,” Pike spoke as Bones looked at me closely. “She gets it from her mother,” Pike smiled turning back to Sulu. I placed my hands up holding them steadily as I willed an extra shield to form around the front half of the ship. I immediately started to shake from the amount of power I was using to hold the shield at full strength around the large space that I could cover.

The Narada fired a torpedo and in a strategic move, the Enterprise drops and tumbles, the torpedo separated and passed right between our nacelles hitting a deflector dish and the main dish.

“Our main shields got hit they are at thirty-two percent! Their weapons are powerful, Sir, we can’t take another hit like that!” Sulu spoke looking over the ships shields.

“Get me Starfleet Command!” Pike ordered.

“Captain, the Romulan ship has lowered some kind of high energy pulse device into Vulcan atmosphere-- its signal appears to be blocking our communications and transporter abilities,” Spock spoke as the communications were dead.

“All power to forward shields-- prepare to fire all weapons! Adrien release your shields, I want you to go for the torpedoes, try to being them down!” Pike ordered as I took a breath dropping the shields. The Enterprise moved around the debris firing photons at the Narada which takes the hits with ease.

“Divert auxiliary power from port nacelle to the shields!” Pike ordered as the people ran around.

“Captain, we’re being hailed!” Uhura yelled as Pike nodded to her and she started bringing up the viewscreen.

“Hello,” the tattooed Romulan spoke smiling.

“I am Captain Christopher Pike, to whom am I speaking?” My father ask as we watched in silence.

“I am called hero,” Nero smiled as Kirk took a deep breath beside me.

“You’ve declared was against the Federation. Withdraw, and I’ll agree to arrange a conference with Romulan leadership at a neutral loca--” Pike started but the Romulan interrupted him.

“I do not speak for the Empire. We stand apart. As does your vulcan crew member. . . isn’t that right? Spock?” Nero spoke coldly as all eyes snapped in Spock’s direction.

“Pardon me. But I don’t believe you and I are acquainted,” Spock looked over the Romulan closely.

“... no, we’re not. Not yet. I would like you to see something Spock. Captain Pike-- your transported capability is disabled. You will man a shuttle and come aboard the Narada for negotiations. That is all.” Nero spoke but before he could cut off the transmission I stopped him.

“Wait!” I yelled causing the Romulan to look at me and nod his head, “Take me instead of my father. I know you aren’t really going to negotiate with him. I know you plan to torture him until the information you desire is given, but please take me instead I can achieve all of the same information he will give you,” I finished looking at him.

“I’m sorry Adrien but I only want the Captain,” he spoke turning off the transmission.

“He’ll kill you, you know that,” Kirk looked over at Pike.

“Your survival is unlikely,” Spock said as he calculated the survival rate.

“Captain, we gain nothing by diplomacy-- going over to that ship is a mistake, think of your daughter,” Kirk spoke as the looked at my frozen state.

“I, too, suggest you rethink this strategy,” Spock agreed as Pike continued.

“I understand that,” Pike said turning to the bridge, “ I need officers who have been trained in advanced hand-to-hand combat!” He spoke out to the whole bridge.

Sulu’s hand raised, “I have training, Sir!”

“then come with me -- Kirk, you too, you’re not supposed to be here anyway. Adrien I want you to come also,” My father told us before turning to Chekov, “Radio the engine room, have chief Engineer Olsen meet us at Shuttle Bay Five,” Pike ordered Chekov.

“Aye, Keptin.” He nodded.

“Let’s go.” Pike ordered as we followed him off the bridge. As I left I waved at Bones who nodded back at me giving me that silent be careful.

We hurried through the Enterprise towards shuttle bay as Pike started telling us what to do, “Without transporters, we can’t beam off the ship, can’t assist Vulcan, can’t do our job. I’m creating an opportunity: Mr. Kirk, Mr. Sulu, Dr. Pike, and Mr. Olson will space-jump from the shuttle. You’ll have chutes -- you’ll land on that machine they’ve lowered into the atmosphere that’s scrambling our gear-- you’ll get inside, disable that thing then beam back to the ship,” as Pike finished Kirk and Sulu shared a scared look as I smiled.

“What’s the matter boys never space jumped before. Don’t worry if you miss the plat form I’ll
make sure to put you on it,” I smiled looking at them.

“... Okay” Kirk said still shocked.

“Mr. Spock, I’m leaving you in command of the ship. Once we have transport capability and communications back up, you’ll contact Starfleet and report what the hell’s happening here,” Pike spoke to Spock who nodded before Pike turned to Kirk. “Something you’ve got only precious few minutes to figure out. If all else fails, fall back and rendezvous with the fleet in the Laurentian System. Kirk. I’m promoting you to First Officer,” Pike finished as everyone stood shocked.

“What!?” Kirk asked in shock.

“Captain,” Spock tried to object.

“While I’m gone we need to keep the chain of command. And you two make a swell team,” Pike pointed out as we stopped in the bay.

“Captain. Please. I apologize, but the complexities of human pranks escape me.” Spock said still finding it hard to believe that Kirk is now First Captain.

“It’s not a prank, Spock. And I’m not the Captan. You are. And Adrien please be careful don’t use to much of your powers,” Pike hugged me then walked off.

“Once we knock out that machine... Sir, what happens to you?” Kirk asked.

“I guess you’ll have to come get me,” Pike said before turning to Spock, “Careful with the ship. She’s brand new,” Pike smiled then turned to us, “Suit up gentlemen and lady,” He nodded to us as we departed ways.

We get dressed in our sleek airdrop armor, web belts, chute packs, harnesses, helmets, and com-sets. We race into the shuttle and take our seats facing each other across the narrow aisle Engineer Olson grinned in excitement. “I am pumped to kick some Romulan ass! No joke. BRING IT ON!” Olson yelled as we all looked at him and nod.

Kirk turned to Sulu, “ So what kinda combat training d’you have.”

“Fencing,” Sulu said proudly making me smile lightly.

“... Fencing.” Kirk says unimpressed looking at him.

Our shuttle leaves the bay and over the Vulcan planet, as the shuttle descends the Narada comes into sight. From it’s belly the cord reached down to the planet where the beam shot into the planet. The shuttle glides to a hover 60,000 feet above the drill. A Klaxon sounds, signaling depressurization of the cargo lock-- we readied our equipment, snatching fro head straps and standing on the lip of the airlock.

“Pre-jump on one: Three, Two, one.” Pike says through our coms as we are slammed into the roof of the Cargo hold as Gravity dies. “Good luck,” Pike continued hitting another button opening the shuttle bomb bay doors instantly pulling us out of the hull.

“WHOOOAAHYYYEAAAHH” Olson yelled as we got closer and closer the the drill. One by one we stabilized falling face down to the drill at incredible speed. We angled our hands and feet for control, guiding ourselves toward the drill. Sulu pulled his chute first, then Kirk and I. The chutes snapped open pulling us upward as Olson zoomed past us.

“OLSON,PULL NOW, NOW!!” Kirk yelled as Olson deployed his chute at the last 50 ft it releasing completely at the last 30. His chute billowed out, opening too late. His body lammed into the edge of the circular drill, bouncing off hard steel and right into the center where the swirling vortex spun. Olson’s body was instantly eviscerated in the plasma light.

We approach the drill more terrified than ever before as Kirk slams down hard against the drill edge, bouncing but quickly gets his footing as I drop in behind my landing hard and rolling to the edge where Kirk grabs my arm before I fall over it. The chutes auto retract into our bags. Sulu not as lucky as us get’s his chute snagged 20 yards away from the drill jerking him upside down. The wind is so intense Sulu is blown sideways causing his chute lines to rub against the metal along the suspension rig.

We quickly run over to him as Kirk yells up at him, “I’m coming for you!” As Kirk tries to climb up, Sulu’s cables begin to snap. Sulus tries to climb back using his chute cables toward the rig.

“Behind you!!” Sulu yelled causing us to spin around to see Romulans. One tackles Kirk to the edge of the drill platform but before I could go after him another grabbed my short hair throwing me back. I stand up quickly running towards the Romulan knocking him over as I willed a piece of metal to fly off the drill and straight into the Romulan. Sulu slid down the the cables pulling his retracting sword out attacking one of the Romulans causing it to fall off the edge and into the vortex. Kirk pulled out his phaser shooting a Romulan off the drill and to his death. after the Romulans are gone we move against the wind towards the hatch. We open the hatch the outer hatch dropping in to find a control console, Sulu starts flipping switches , which do nothing.

“None of this is familiar-- the interface, the controls--” Sulu said as he looked over the switches.

“Step back--” Kirk ordered us.

“What, you have an idea?” Sulus asked as Kirk lifted up his phaser.

“Yeah, yeah I do,” Kirk said before firing the Phaser at the console. The immense column of light disappears, leaving only a towering swirling vortex of dirt. As we pull ourselves out of the control cockpit we start to hear a sound. A high pitch shriek getting louder as it falls toward them they look up just in time to see the red matter pod rip right past us.

“NO,” I yelled running to the edge of the drill watching it plummet to the surface of Vulcan. At first there was nothing just a cloud then a huge shockwave came up to the drill shaking the drill and making us lose our balance as I fell over the edge of the drill.

“Kirk to Enterprise-- they just launched something toward the planet and it sent Pike over the edge of the drill!!” Kirk yelled in the com.

“Help!!” I yelled as Kirk and Sulu ran to the edge to see me barely holding on as they start pulling me back up the platform shakes causing Sulu to fall over the edge. “Kirk let me go!!” I yelled as I ripped my hand out of his falling after Sulu. As I fall behind him I use my telekinesis to slow his speed bringing him closer to me. Kirk jumped down grabbing on to me as we fall closer to Sulu.

As we slam into Sulu Kirk starts yelling at us, “ I gotcha! NOW PULL MY CHUTE!” We open his chute but the triple weight on one chute automatically rips it away as we free fall faster to the ground.

“Guys all I can do is slow us down,” I yelled forming a field around us slowing our rate of fall.

“ENTERPRISE, WE’RE FALLING WITHOUT A CHUTE!!! BEAM US UP!!! BEAM US UP!!! ADRIEN IS TRYING TO PROTECT US BUT IT IS JUST TOO MUCH FOR HER IT’S GOING TO KILL HER BEAM US UP!!” Kirk yelled

“I’m trying! I can’t lock on your signal!” The transporter chief yelled as my vision starter to blur and my nose bleed from holding the shield.

“You’re moving too fast! Can Adrien slow you down anymore?” The transporter asked.

Kirk looked over to me and my weakened state before speaking, “No and if she pushes herself anymore she will die.”

We here a cut off as we get even closer to the ground, “ENTERPRISE, WHERE ARE YOU?!” Kirk yelled as my shield started to flash on and off.

“holdonholdonholdonholdon!” Chekov yelled trying to save us.

“NOW NOW NOW!!! DO IT NOW!!!!” Kirk yelled as were whooshed past bursts of lava.

“Compensating gravitational pull and-” before Chekov could finish I passed out.

Third person POV

They materialized in the transporter room, the engineers stare in amazement and relief as Chekov laughs. Kirk Moves off of Adrien as she lays motionless on the floor. The everyone stops celebrating as blood pools from her nose, mouth, and ears. Her breathing was shallow and barely noticeable.

“Adrien!! Can you hear me!! Adrien!!” Kirk was yelling and shaking her body as Bones ran through the room.

“Oh god,” he stopped noticing the damage that was already done to her. “Give her to me Kirk I need to get her to medical now,” Bones ordered as Kirk picked her up and handed her over to Bones.

Spock hurried into the room pushing past Bone and Adrien, “ Step aside-- I’m going to the surface,” Spock spoke as the Engineer worked the display.

“The surface of what? YOU’RE GOING DOWN THERE? ARE YOU NUTS?!” Kirk yelled at Spock.

“Energize,” Spock said before dematerializing.

Bones POV

“Goddammit Adrien why did you have to do this. Why do you have to have some special ability that can kill you,” I spoke placing her on the bed as the nurses surrounded her. “No stop!” I yelled at them catching their attention, “No one can work on her but me not even the nurses. That has always been her one rule. The nurses nodded walking away from her. I pulled the scanner over her letting it read her heart rate as I grabbed a wet wash cloth whipping away the blood from her perfect face. The scanner beeped and I grabbed it looking over her specs. She had elevated BP, along with her heart and breathing rate. I grabbing the oxygen tubes attaching them to her face and gave her a hypospray to help lower her heart rate. “Please darlin I need you to wake up for me,” I whispered rubbing my hand over hers. I felt her breath become less shallow as her eyes opened slightly.

“Leo,” she whispered as I looked up from the scanner.

“Hey Supergirl, how ya feelin,” I smiled at her as she laughed.

“Nicknames? That is Kirk’s thing,” She laughed smiling at me.

“I know,” I smiled back at her helping her sit up.

“I’m fine by the way just a little exhausted. That happens a lot when I over use my powers,” She spoke as I looked in her ears and eyes.

“How did you come the these powers exactly?” I asked sitting in the chair in front of her.

“I was born with them. My mother died in child birth aboard my father’s ship and dad says it was he last breath that gave me my life and powers. My mother wasn’t human. She was half Betazoid and half human. She was part of the human line that received the Telekinetic gene and the Betazoid genes gave her her telepathy which intern was given to me,” She explained to me her abilities and how she trained to control them.

“You know Leo I’ve never seen you so worried before,” She smiled as I looked up at her.

“Well-- um-- I was really worried about you. I’ve known you for three years and I could’ve lost you and Kirk. I mean who would I have if you two died,” I stubbled out trying to cover up my words.

“Nice try Doc but I heard you specifically say you were worried about me,” she smiled catching me
redhanded.

“Look I just-- I really care for you Adrien. I think I-” I was about to tell her I loved her but she stopped me pressing the soft lips that my mind dreamed of against my rough ones.