Status: Under heavy editing!

The Human Mind Is Not a Terribly Logical or Consistent Place

Chapter 7

The Human Mind is Not a Terribly Logical or Consistent Place
Chapter 7

I ran towards the bridge with Leo in tow hearing whispers of Kirk and an unknown man appearing on the ship. The bridge doors whooshed open as I stepped into the bridge slightly saluting Spock as I walked towards him. “Ah yes Dr. Pike, it seems Kirk and another man have appeared on our ship,” Spock spoke calmly.

“And Why do you need me?” I asked looking at him.

“If they do not cooperate is why you are here,” Spock said sternly as the bridge’s doors opened. Kirk and another man were ushered in by the security guards as Spock moved towards them. Leo placed his hand on my back reassuring me that nothing bad would happen.

“Surprise,” Kirk smiled cockily as Spock ignored him.

“Who are you?” Spock asked towards the unknown man who was severely confused.

“He’s with me,” Kirk answered for him.

“We’re traveling at warp, how did you manage to get aboard this ship?” Spock asked sternly.

“You’re the genius you figure it out,” Kirk said staring back at Spock.

“As Captain of this vessel I order you to answer the question or suffer the consequences,” Spock said as Kirk eyed my saddened face.

“Well I’m not telling. Captain,” Kirk said confounding Spock. “Does that frustrate you? My lack of cooperation... does it make you angry?” Kirk finishes but Spock ignores him.

“You are not a member of this ship’s crew. Under penalty of court martial, I order you to explain to me how you beamed ab--” Spock said focusing on the man again.

“-- Don’t answer him,” Kirk order the man who got more confused.

“You will answer me,” Spock ordered as all eyes turned to the man who froze.

“I’d rather not take sides,” he spoke laughing lightly.

Spock nodded back to the security guards, “Escort them to the brig.” But before the guards could

do so Kirk interrupted.

“What is it about you, Spock? Your planet was just destroyed -- your mother murdered -- and you’re not even upset?” Kirk’s words were strong as I stood in shock realizing what he was trying to do.

“Your presumption that these experiences interfere with my abilities to command this ship is inaccurate--,” Spock defended.

“Ha! And yet you said fear was necessary for command. I mean -- did you see that bastard’s ship? Did you see what he did?” Kirk fought pushing Spock’s buttons slightly.

“Yes, of course I --” Spock said tensely before being cut off again

“So are you afraid or aren’t you?!” Kirk asked getting louder

“I will not . . . allow you to lecture me about merits of emotion.” Spock said getting tenser. Kirk moves closer to Spock as everyone in the room watches the scene before us.

“Then why don’t you stop me,” Kirk pushed. I breath in as I look over to Sarek who watches the event in front of him.

“Step away from me, Mr. Kirk,” Spock said trying to stay calm.

“What is it like? Not to feel? Anger. Or heartbreak. Or the need to stop at nothing to avenge the death of the woman who gave birth to you?!” Kirk yelled getting closer. I stepped forward slightly getting ready to intervene.

“Back away,” Spock growled with anger.

“You must not feel anything! It must not even compare for you! you must not have lover her at all!” Kirk yelled pushing Spock over the edge who quickly punched him and continued punching him until he is chocking Kirk.

“Spock Stop!” I yelled as I tried to pull him away but he didn’t stop he just tossed Kirk aside and turned wrapping his hands around my neck chocking the life out of me. I heard yelling in the background but it didn’t stop until Spock’s father’s strong voice broke through.

“Spock!” Sarek yelled causing everything to stop. Spock red-faced released his grip. I gulp air into my lungs as I fell to the floor grabbing my throat coughing slightly as Leo ran over towards me glaring at Spock who back away from me. Spock looked around at the stunned faces of the crew members and my injured self. Spock turned to his father, Sarek, who was the most disappointed of all.

Spock turned back to Leo and I as he spoke trying to hold on to the last of his dignity, “Dr. Pike, Dr. McCoy. I am no longer fir for duty. I hereby relinquish my command on the grounds that I have been. . . emotionally compromised. Please note the time and date in the ship’s log.” After a moment Spock walked out of the room, Sarek following a moment later.

“I like this ship it’s exciting,” the man said as I rolled my eyes standing up with Leo’s help.

“Congratulations, Jim. You got Adrien hurt and now we’ve got no Captain and no first officer to goddamn replace him.

“Yeah we do,” Kirk smiles. Leo and the rest of the crew freeze as Sulu and I point at Kirk.

“My father made him first officer before he left,” I said horsely as everyone’s eyes widened.

“WHAT!?” Leo yelled looking around.

“Thanks for the support!” Kirk smiled as he moved to the Captain’s chair passing Uhura.

“I sure hope you know what you’re doing,” She whispered harshly to him.

“So do I,” Kirk replied after a moment. Kirk studied the chair before sitting in it and grabbing the
mic, “Attention crew of the Enterprise. This is James Kirk. . . Mr. Spock has resigned commission and advanced me to acting Captain. I know you were all expecting to regroup with the fleet, but I’ve ordered a pursuit course of the enemy ship to Earth. I want all departments at battle stations and ready in ten minutes. Either we’re going down, or they are. Kirk out,” Kirk said finishing his announcement.

“I want some answers,” Uhura ordered Kirk. “Right now. Where the hell’s you get trans-warp technology?” She continued.

“Yeah, you know that;s complicated,” Kirk started.

“Do I look simple to you?!” Uhura yelled.

“I’m a PhD in astrophysics, I think I can handle it-- how’d you get back?” Sulu asked as we all watched him.

“You vant us to trust you but you von’t tell us the truth?” Chekov said as people silently agreed.

“No. No, I won’t-- hey, I’m Captain now! I don’t have to tell you anything! Now listen: we need to figure out a way to catch up and get to Nero’s ship,” Kirk said putting off the question.

“There’s not a chance. They’re gonna be in geosynchronous orbit around Earth in ten minutes. We’ll never make it,” Sulu explained.

“Even if we could, you can’t go in guns blazing, not with their technology, that’s suicide,” Leo said looking at Kirk.

“And I can’t protect the ship from hits like that again,” I added.

“Then we find a way to get on that ship and steal the black hole device away from them, and you are coming on the ship with me so you wouldn’t protect the ship anyway,” Kirk said looking at us.

“Well you can forget transwarp. No way to predict the Narada’s position from here,” the still unnamed man said.

“Wait hold up, you are taking Adrien down there with you on that dangerous ship!? What if she is hurt? Hell she is already hurt,” Leo defended me as I put my hand on his chest trying to calm him.

“It’s fine Leo. I’ll go to save my father,” I reassured him as Kirk nodded.

“Uhura: anything from Captain Pike?” Kirk asked turning to Uhura.

“No. . . I’ve been monitoring all channels,” she stated.

“Keptin Kirk? Excuse me, Please, could I. . .?” Chekov timidly asked as we continued our discussion.

“Yes, Chekov-- you don’t need to ask permission to--,”Kirk Explained to Chekov.

“Based on the Narada’s course from Vulcan, I’ve projected that Nero will travel past Saturn. If we could drop out of warp behind one of Saturn’s moons, say, Titan, the magnetic distortion from the planet’s rings will make us invisible to Nero’s sensors. We could follow him to Earth by staying in his blind spot,” Chekov explained.

“What blind spot,” Kirk asked.

“Its exhaust wake. If we adjust our shield frequencies , they shouldn’t detect us,” Chekov smiled as we looked closely at him.

“Wait a minute-- anyone understand thus kid? How old are you?” Leo asked skeptical about his knowledge.

“I am seventeen, Sir, how old are you,” Chekov smiled as he asked Leo the same question.

“We’re all old enough to shave here,” Leo replied with a raised eyebrow.

“Doctor. . . Mr. Chekov is correct,” Spock spoke from behind us. Everyone turned in surprise to see him back so soon. “I apologize Dr. Pike my emotions were not in control earlier and I took them out on you,” Spock apologized bowing slightly to me.

“Spock next time your emotions aren’t in check you better make sure you don’t take them out on someone who has only helped you. Adrien has only ever been kind and you dare place your hands on her again you will feel more pain than you have ever felt before,” Leo said poking Spock’s chest as he got in his face.

“I understand Dr. McCoy and I apologize for harming the woman you love,” Spock apologized as I blushed.

“Now that your guys’ relationship is out there and open can we get back to the problem at hand?” Kirk asked as I blushed even more and nodded.

“Right, I have reviewed Mr. Chekov’s telemetry. If Mr sulu can maneuver us into position, I can beam aboard Nero’s ship,” Spock explained to Kirk.

“I won’t order you to do that, Mr. Spock,” Kirk told him.

“Romulans and Vulcans share common ancestry. Our cultural similarities will make it easier for me to access their ship’s computer to locate the device,” Spock explain as everyone stared in awe. “Also, my mother was human. Which makes Earth the only home I have left,” Spock said with a slight smile as the room looked at Spock filling with deep respect.

“I’m coming with you, and so is Adrien,” Kirk told Spock as I nodded agreeing.

“I would cite regulation, but i know you will simply ignore it,” Spock said after a moment.

“Then we’re coming with you,” Kirk smiled as Spock looked between Kirk at the captain’s chair and me and Leo’s side.