An Nimh Milse

I'd Rather Live

A young robin, just learning to fly, hopped along the cobble stone path. He paused to peck at the ground, seeing something Darcy didn’t as she watched him. The Young Robin, whose feathers were still spotted and not yet the bright red of a full adult’s, flapped his wings a few times as he hopped along. For a moment Darcy wondered if he knew how to fly, but then he spread his wings and took off into the nearby bushes where his nest most likely was. Of course The Young Robin was ready to fly, she should have never doubted him to begin with.

“Darcy!” Sheila called from across the courtyard. “Where have you been? We were looking for you!”

“I’ve been here,” she smirked sitting up straight on one of the many decorative rocks in the area. “I told Mom I would find you later.”

“Well she must not have heard you, she went into a panic when she turned around and you were gone.” She muttered, irritated with this whole situation. “She made me go look for you.”

She raised an eyebrow, “why didn’t she just call?” she asked holding up her phone.

“Because she’s old and doesn’t understand how to use technology and not inconvenience her youngest daughter who was about to get the cute tour guides number.” She folded her arms over her chest.

Darcy laughed, “Sorry La, but I don’t think you’re his type.”

“Why? He was checking out the cute custodian wasn’t he? God knows I was,” she sighed lustily. “I didn’t know minimum wage could look so fine-”

“Uh no,” she chuckled cutting off her sister and holding up a torn off corner of brochure, “he passed it to me shortly after we pass the library.”

“That was like two steps into the tour!” She protested.

Darcy scrunched up her nose, “I know; I suspect he recognizes me from my work.”

Sheila groaned as she sat next to Darcy on the rock, “I hate competing with an underwear model.”

“Oh you love me,” she laughed bumping the younger woman with her shoulder.

“Yeah but your profession makes my sex life nearly nonexistent,” she sighed resting her head on Darcy’s shoulder.

“Well you can rest happy knowing you’ve gotten more than ever have,” Darcy laughed, “underwear model or not.”

“Oh please,” Sheila rolled her eyes. “You and Gavin were bumping uglies on a regular basis and everyone knew it.” Darcy didn’t say anything as she stood up and Sheila nearly fell off the rock. “Hey! What the hell?” she demanded jogging to catch up with her sister who was marching across the courtyard.

“We should get back to the tour,” Darcy smiled back as the younger woman. “Mom’s got to be going out of her mind. They should be at the cafeteria right about now so if we cut through the art buildings we can meet up with them before they head to the dorms.”

“I sometimes forget that you actually went to college before coming home and declaring it to be beneath you,” She said finally catching up with her sister.

“A complete waste of my time,” She smirked, “that whole semester was nothing but annoying.”

“Because your new career path is going to get you so far in life.” She rolled her eyes as they entered the art building.

“It’s temporary,” Darcy laughed as her sister’s jab. “Till I figure things out.”

“What is it you even want to do by the way?” Sheila asked before pausing in the doorway of a room with an attractive male standing stark naked at the head of the class.

It was Darcy’s turn to roll her eyes as she dragged Sheila away, “I don’t know,” she answered her sister’s forgotten question. “I honestly don’t know.”

They caught up with their parents right at the boy was finishing up the tour. He left them to their own devices shooting a suggestive wink at Darcy as he left. They waited calmly for Fallon to finish a few last minuet errands before he was officially a graduate. They sat in the cafeteria talking casually when a flash of white blond caught Darcy’s attention.

“Findlay’s,” Gavin greeted them as he approached their table. “Long time no see!”

“Oh Gavin, sweetie,” her mother beamed standing up to hug him. The rest of her family stood as well and she slowly got out of her seat. “How are you?”

“I'm doing great Ma’am,” he smiled, turning to shake her father’s hand.

“Why are you here?” Darcy asked, mustering up as much civility (which was little to none) as she posed her question.

He looked at her, his face softening, “I'm looking to get my masters here. I was just coming to check out the courses-”

“You can do that online,” she stopped him.

“Yes well I like to get a feel for campus-”

“Graduate work is all online,” she cut him off again. “Why are you really here Gavin?”

He sighed, sliding his hands into the front pockets of his jeans, “Can we talk?”

She raised an eyebrow, “I'm sorry but talking at this point is about six years too late-”

“Darcy-”

“I wouldn’t want to burden you with my ‘crap’,” she snapped before turning and walking away from the group.

No one followed her and she was thankful for that as she made her way back outside. She walked slowly through the campus, the cool spring wind rushing around her as she paused. Six years ago Gavin turned his back on her and it was nearly the end of Darcy Findlay.

The Little Bird hopped along the ground but unlike the Young Robin she had couldn’t fly to the safety of the nest. Her wings had been clipped, she would never fly again. She should have died that day but the Little Bird was stronger than anyone thought. She got up, she fought, and she survived. Because the Little Bird would not die at the hands of the lying Hawk.

She’d rather live than let that happen.