Status: Finished. No sequel.

My Favorite

Age - 23 Years

With the entirety of Stark Industries under my belt, I sat in my cushy office and played minesweeper. I know I should put a bit more effort into running the company, but until advancement was made down in Research and Development, I didn’t have much of anything to do. There were a few things in the tray on my desk, but I pretended like they weren’t there.

Mom says I’m already an image of my Dad, but at least I have Jarvis to keep things straight for me. I didn’t tell her that Jarvis had already become a master at copying my handwriting, and was already helping me sort through the mess of contracts and reports on my desk that needed my signature.

Speaking of Jarvis, he entered into my office unannounced and seated himself at the chair in front of my desk. He looked worried, and I knew that he tended to worry about the little things. That is until he opened his mouth to speak.

“I’m afraid I may have upgraded myself too much, Holly.”

“What have you done?” I grimaced as I failed my current round and swiveled my chair straight to look at my butler/friend/assistant/confidant/etc. He was so much that I didn’t know what to even call him, anymore.

“I know you’ve known about my tweaking. But I fear that I may have gone too far with my emotions center. I’m not even sure if I want to stop it, though.”

“Go on?” Jarvis didn’t tend to beat around the bush, so I was understandably frustrated when he continued to dance around the true meaning of this conversation.

“I think, in my constant tweaking, upgrading and experimenting, I may have unlocked something that should not have come to be. I think I may love you, Holly. I am sorry.”

I felt all of the breath leave my lungs in one swoop, and I reach for Jarvis’ hands with my own shaking ones. The synth-skin from S.H.I.E.L.D. is a marvel, and I’m not sure how I feel about the fact that it’s even warm, like there’s blood flowing underneath it. I pretend the structure underneath my fingers isn’t metal and wiring, and I let the words come out into the air where they belonged.

“I may love you too, Jarvis.”