Status: Finished. No sequel.

My Favorite

Age - 5 Years

I wish I could tell you my earliest memory of Jarvis, but he’d always been there from the first day. Even in my earliest memory of anything, Jarvis was always there, always making sure I didn’t hurt myself.

I remember that Mother always kept some kind of easy to make food in the kitchen – Dad would always work himself so hard, and unless there was something that was quick to eat, he usually wouldn’t eat at all. I wanted to help him, since he was downstairs working on his big shiny suit.

As I climbed up on the counter, I could hear Jarvis chiding me from all around the room, “Be careful, Miss Stark. Would you like me to call your father to help you?”

“No! No, Jarvis. I’m making a surprise for Dad, don’t tell him!” I shushed Jarvis as I turned from the cupboards and looked at the ceiling. Jarvis made a sort of hum of assent, but I knew he was watching me carefully, as he always did. He always made sure I didn’t hurt myself – too badly, at least. He’s a disembodied A.I., there wasn’t much he could do in the way of stopping me from falling down the stairs, or running into the corner of the kitchen’s island as I always did.

Carrying the bowl of cereal in my arms, I tottered my way down the stairs. Getting into the actual work room was difficult – Dad was facing away and I needed a key code to get in the doors. But Jarvis always let me pass without a code. Jarvis was the best.

“Jarvis?” I called quietly, but he could always hear.

“Of course, Miss Stark,” and the glass door clicked open. My arms were full, but Jarvis took control and held the door open for me. Jarvis was my favorite thing in the world.