Dream Girl

Dream Girl

‘Tell me that you love me. You say you don’t but you don’t know…’ Tears stained his cheeks as he stood, motionless, looking at a picture of them together. They were only five years old- in fact it was the day he’d told her that she was his dream girl. ‘I see you in my dreams, and you are so fair…’ Then he looked at another photo, this one of a not-so-wonderful memory. It was of his twelfth birthday. She’d been standing beside him on the porch. Tears gleamed in the corners of his eyes as he remembered the pain on her face when she told him she was moving away. ‘…I tried so hard to find you- but you were never there…’

Another memory; this one a good one. It was her senior prom and she said she refused to go unless with him. He was in a traditional black and white tuxedo and she in a dark green ball gown. ‘…You’re my dream girl and no one can compare…’ He remembered the smile on her face as he slid the white rose corsage over one elbow-length silk glove. Her brown eyes sparkled with happiness…he had never felt so needed in all eighteen years of his life. ‘…You’re always with me in our kingdom far away…’ That evening had passed by much more quickly than either of them had hoped. Not wanting it to end, he drove them up to the lake about thirty minutes from her house. They talked for hours, about everything—from getting their driver’s licenses to their hopes and dreams for the future. Then she told him how badly she’d missed him and he finally confessed his true feelings for her. Then the two of them joined in a kiss so full of passion- so full of love- that he’d found it hard to breathe. Eventually, their overwhelming love for one another overtook them both and they joined together as one. ‘…You will be her majesty and together we will reign…’

Now, slipping slowly back into reality, the tears flowed more freely than ever before. He had wanted to say so much to her. He wanted to hold her. To breathe in her scent of vanilla and roses. To love her and show his love to her just one more time. The last images in his mind were what the accident must have been like. He glanced for the final time at those beautiful eyes that had once made him so complete—now they’d only fill his heart with pain. The green flecks would no longer lighten the dark orbs. ‘…You’re my dream girl, and you’ll always be that way…’ he sang softly, wiping the last tear from the corner of his eye. He ran his fingers lightly through her long brown locks along her hairline. He began to walk away but turned around once more to look at the etched stone at the head of the dark wooden casket:

In Loving Memory
Jordan Taylor Hanson
March 14 1983 ~ June 10 2005