Status: Completed

One Shot

One Shot.

I stood anxiously at my desk, waiting for my blonde haired, blue eyed beauty to walk into the room. Well, she used to be mine. Sadly, I let her get away freshman year. It was such a bad break-up that we didn't start talking again until a couple months ago...and it's senior year. Over the years, we would sneak quick glances at each other and smile in the hallways, but never actually spoke. Now we sit next to each other in Government class and can't stop talking.

"Hey, loser." Gemma's sweet voice filled my ears. My heart skipped a couple beats. I slid into my desk and took a quick glance at her. She had on a black T-Shirt with some band that I didn't know on the front, dark blue skinny jeans, and her old beat up low top Chuck Taylor's that she has had since freshman year. She definitely wasn't the most girly girl in the world, but that was part of the reason I loved her.

"Gemma. Give me gum." I said, holding my hand out to her. She looked at me and smiled her bright, amazing smile.

"So demanding." She giggled. Her giggle was the most amazing sound that had ever hit my ears. "What's the magic word?" She asked, pulling a pack of spearmint gum out of her backpack.

"Now." I smiled.

"Hmm... No, I don't think that's right." She held the gum farther away from me.

"Well, I think it is." I said reaching over and tickled her sides. She tried slapping my hands away as she giggled like crazy.

"Okay! Okay! I surrender!" She said, out of breath, and handed the pack over.

"That's more like it."

"Bully." She teased as a substitute teacher walked in the room.

"Good afternoon, everyone. I'm Miss Blake. Obviously Mr. Stonem isn't here today. I'm going to do roll call then give you a worksheet on the twenty-seven amendments." She said. Then she pulled out the attendance sheet and started rolling through everyone's names. She eventually got to Gemma and I. "Gemma Thompson?"

"What? Oh, here." Gemma said, coming out of her own little land.

"Okay. Finally, Lucas Vargus?"

"What's up?" I said.

"Alright. Well, it looks like everyone is here. Who wants to take this down to the office for me?" Gemma raised her hand and raised mine as well. "Only one needs to go."

"Well, Lucas and I are kind of a package deal. Sooo, both of us need to go." Gemma pushed. I tried not to get big headed at the fact she called us a package deal.

"Fine. Hurry back, though." Miss Blake snapped. Gemma popped up, snatched the paper out of Miss Blake's hand, then grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the room.

"So we are a package deal now?" I teased as we walked farther away from the room.

"Well, I kind of figured that you would like to roam around instead of doing a stupid worksheet on the twenty-seven amendments. But, if you want to go back, I can wander around all by myself." She smirked. I looked back at the doorway we just rushed out of, then quickly turned around, and broke into a run.

"Race you to the office!"

"Hey! That's no fair! You cheated!" She called and chased after me. We hit the stairs and all I heard was a loud thud and the most beautiful laugh. I turned around and saw Gemma on her butt and the attendance sheet slowly floating to the ground.

"What happened?" I laughed.

"S-shoes. T-t-turned. Sl-slipped." She laughed hysterically. I surprisingly knew what she meant. After dating her for 5 months I had learned to understand her incoherent speech. As she was turning the corner, her shoes slid and she fell. I laughed harder than I had in awhile. I grabbed her hand and helped her up. Then, I swooped down and picked up the attendance sheet.

"You obviously haven't lost any of your clumsiness." I laughed.

"Psh, I wish! If anything I've gotten more clumsy." She smiled. "My butt hurts now."

"That's awesome, Gem." I said, then mentally slapped myself. Gem was the pet name I gave her when were dating.

"Wow..." She blushed. "I haven't been called that in so long. After we broke up, I kind of banned everyone from calling me that. It hurt to much to hear." As soon as those words came out of her mouth, I could tell that she had mentally slapped herself. Her bright blue eyes grew wide with shock and her cheeks turned an even deeper red.

"Really..?" I asked. She looked at her feet and nodded. She looked up when we reached the office. She said she'd be right back, ran inside to drop off the paper and came out smiling.

"Welp. Where to next? This school isn't going to explore itself." She beamed, as if the conversation we just had never happened.

"I could use a nice, long drink of water. The water fountain by the music rooms normally seems to be forgotten about." I winked. She laughed and headed over to the music wing of the school. It was also the most abandoned part of the school.

"You know, I'm really glad we started talking again, Luke. I've missed this. I've missed it a lot." Gemma grinned.

"Yeah, I've miss-"

BANG!

Gemma and I shot around and looked down the empty hallway we had just been walking down.

"W-was that a-" Gemma started.

BANG! BANG!

"Yes it was." I said and grabbed Gemma's hand. I pulled her down the hall where it split off into another hall and hid behind the wall.

"Dear students and faculty," Mrs. Lore's, the office receptionist, voice filled the quiet hallways over the speakers. "We are under total lock-down. Block all your windows and lock all doors. If you are in the hallway, hide. Now." Her voice was incredibly shaky. Then, there was a scream and a gunshot.

"Oh my God..." Gemma whispered. Her hands were clenched down on my left arm. Tears threatened to spill from her eyes. She was obviously scared, and honestly, so was I. I attempted to keep a calm look on my face though. I didn't want her to even more scared.

"Alright. We have to find somewhere to hide like Mrs. Lore said." I said peeking around the corner. It seemed clear.

"The kitchen! It's not that far and I really don't think the shooter would look in there." Gemma suggested

"Good idea. We got to hurry." I intertwined my fingers with hers and quickly, but softly, headed back down the hallway toward the cafeteria. It was super quiet in the halls. It seemed like the whole place was abandoned. My heart was racing a hundred miles per hour. I had to get Gemma to safety.

We started to turn the corner to the cafeteria hallway, but there was someone walking down it. They were tall and in all black. In their right hand was a .22 handgun. The shooter. I quickly pushed Gemma back behind the wall. Luckily, the shooter was walking the other way and had his back turned. Gemma had started to quietly cry and was literally shaking with fear. I pulled her into my arms and kissed the top of her head.

"Shh. It's going to be okay, Gem. We're going to be okay. I promise. I will keep you safe. She looked up at me, tears sliding down her cheeks.

"Luke... If something happens to us... I-I just want you to know that... I love you. I always have..." She whispered. My heart nearly flew out of my chest.

"I love you too, Gem." I whispered back. I lifted my hand up and wiped away a tear that had fallen from her terrified eyes. She stood on her toes, wrapped her arms around my neck, and kissed me. I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her closer to me. The kiss ended too soon, but I knew there would be more to come.

"Awe. Isn't that just the cutest thing?" A voice beside us said. I turned my head and saw the shiny .22 and a tall person hidden from head to toe in a black outfit.

"Nolan?" Gemma asked.

"Well, I guess what they say about blondes isn't true, or did you just have a lucky guess? It could also help that we have had Art and English together for the past three years." The shooter said, pulling off the black ski mask to reveal a long face, with dark brown eyes, and short jet black hair.

Nolan Barham. A total drama and art freak who knows almost everything you need to know in the media world. He is every teachers favorite student and everyone else's personal punching bag, including myself.

I pushed Gemma behind me and Nolan let out a demonic laugh. "Silly, Lucas. I don't want to hurt Gemma. She is a total sweetheart to me, and she isn't really that bad on the eyes. Obviously you know that." He said winking at her. I felt Gemma put her head on my back. "You, on the other hand, have treated me like complete and utter shit. Pushing me in the halls, calling me names like faggot. Oh! Not to mention you totally destroyed my sketch book."

"That was Kevin! Not me!"

"But you just stood there, watching and laughing!" He spat. "You know. I went to the principal and the vice principal about it. They did absolutely nothing. That's why they are dead. And that's why you're going to die too." Nolan raised the gun and next thing I know, Gemma is standing in front of me.

"Gemma! What are you doing?!" I yelled, trying to pull her back behind me.

"Nolan, please stop this. I understand that you are to your limit, but does that really mean that you have to take people's lives?" She cried.

"Gemma, don't be stupid. Move." He said lowering the gun.

"You're the one being stupid!" She rolled. Anger flashes across Nolan's face and he raised the gun again.

"What did you say?" He said slowly.

"Put the gun down and put your hands behind your head! Now!" A police officer came into view. Gemma reached into her pocket and pulled out her cell phone, showing that she had called the cops. Nolan's eyes got huge and his jaw dropped.

"You god damn cunt!" He shouted and put his finger on the trigger.

"Gemma!" I shouted and pushed her to the ground as a shot rang out. My shoulder was suddenly burning with pain as more shots rang out, this time by the police. Nolan's body went limp and hit the ground with a thud.

"Lucas!" Gemma yelled and leaned over me. "Oh my God! You're shot! Why did you do that?!" She yelled.

"I promised that I would keep you safe. I keep my promises." I smiled. She let out a little laugh and leaned down to kiss me.

"We are never wandering around the school again." She laughed.

I laughed with her. "I love you, Gemma Thompson."

"I love you too, Lucas Vargus."
♠ ♠ ♠
My first One Shot story, literally called One Shot.

What do you think?

Good or no?

Your guys comments inspire me to keep writing.

Please tell me what you think.

Even if it's criticism.

I need to knowww! Haha.

Thanks,
Taylor Elizabeth♥