Be Your Everything

Kat

10 o’clock in the morning, Alice and Danielle left the house to meet Katerina for a slightly late breakfast.
“What’s she like?” Alice asked anxiously, glancing around the café in search of the girl who hadn’t yet turned up.
“She’s lovely, really.”
“That tells me nothing!” She exclaimed in a sudden panic. She was having major concerns of having to sit with a girl for an hour that she may or may not get on with. Awkward situations made her squirm and say stupid things, which wasn’t good for anyone in close proximity.
“Calm yourself,” Dani giggled, pointing to a girl with medium length dark red hair. As she weaved her way through the maze of tables and chairs the sun caught her skin and Alice was forced to notice just how pale she was.
Katerina’s blue eyes were bright with excitement as she pulled out the chair across from the two girls that were already seated and sat down herself.
“Alice, this is Kat, Kat, this is Alice.” Dani pointed out each girl to the other with a smile.
“Nice to meet you.” Alice gave her best smile, though she was sure it looked fake because she wasn’t feeling very relaxed at all.
“Same to you!” Kat grinned, flashing her pearly white teeth. She didn’t seem perturbed by Alice’s lack of enthusiasm, and got straight to choosing what she was going to eat. “I’m definitely having a bacon and egg muffin,” she announced, looking up, “because they pile the bacon on here.”
Alice felt an abrupt sense of respect for the girl sitting in front of her. Not only did she eat like a normal person, but also she seemed genuinely happy to be there. “I might have the same, if that’s the case,” she beamed, leaning toward Dani slightly as Kat looked away, “and I thank you for talking me into this. She’s even a ginger!”
Dani, who dipped her head appreciatively, spoke in hushed tones; “I’ll admit the hair colour kind of put the idea in my head…”
Alice turned her eyes back to Kat, who was watching the two chatterboxes out of the corner of her eye. She looked slightly worried, and Alice felt herself sympathizing, “Don’t worry, we were just talking about the way you and I have the same hair colour,” she giggled, pointing at Kat’s head, who visibly brightened.
An hour later and Kat was calling Alice’s phone to save her number into her phone. The ‘blind friend date’ had gone superbly and Alice felt like she had truly made another friend. How did she ever think making friends was hard to do?

“You’re sure you’ve got all your stuff?” Dani questioned as she prepared to lock the door. Michael was standing off to the side, waiting for the two women to get going.
Alice nodded and held up the bag she had brought with her. Then, a thought occurred to her, “Dani, you wouldn’t happen to know anywhere that’s looking for staff, would you?”
Dani, whose eyebrows were high on her forehead in surprise, nodded slowly, “Yeah, exactly where we were today. I know for a fact that Gabby, a lady who used to work there, has gone off on maternity leave.”
“That was surprisingly easy. What’s the catch?”
Dani shrugged, “You’d have to ask them that, I’m afraid. Ready to go?”

Alice was stood outside Harry’s flat thinking it over. Should she just walk in or should she knock? Deciding on the polite option, she knocked. Almost 2 minutes went by before Harry, donned in baggy track pants and a fairly tight black top opened the door. For a second, he looked confused – but then he laughed.
“You just knocked on your own door, you silly girl!”
Alice rolled her eyes, “Okay, laugh it up. I wasn’t trying to be polite or anything …”
Without warning, he pulled her into a warm hug. She dropped her bags onto the floor and wrapped her arms around his torso. Despite how unexpected the affection was, she was enjoying the way his breath tickled her neck, and the way his fingers gently gripped her waist.
“What was that for?” she whispered as they finally pulled away.
“I guess I just missed you,” he smiled timidly, resting his forehead on hers.
“You’re so strange.”
“Why?” he frowned.
“I just can’t understand what you’d miss about me.”
“You’re kind of stupid,” Harry commented, grinning. Moving away, he shook his head, and then without another word, he picked up the bags Alice had dropped, walked soundlessly back inside, and left her standing all alone.
Feeling somewhat confused, she followed him inside. “What does that mean?” she called after him.
“You’re just stupid!” he shouted back, his voice coming from his own room.
“Is that why you missed me?”
She heard him laugh loudly. “Yes!”
“Now that’s stupid.”
He strolled into the hallway and stood in front of her, just to roll his eyes and then walk straight past her. Alice rushed to follow him; still curious as to what the hell the guy was thinking.
“Oh come on, whatever is in your head can’t be that much of a secret.”
“I’ll sound like a complete twat if I say what I’m thinking,” he admitted as he moved around the kitchen, grabbing a box of cereal out the cupboard, “Want some?”
She nodded reluctantly, “Yes. And I don’t care how ridiculous it sounds, I want you to say it.”
He sighed dramatically and shuffled around the counter to stand in front of her, “If I’m gonna make a fool of myself, might as well do it properly,” he mumbled, not looking at her. His eyes found hers as he spoke, “I missed everything about you.”
Whatever she had been expecting, that definitely wasn’t it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've got another 3 chapters on top of this one to post, so I'll probably post another one in a few hours. Then I'll post the other two tomorrow. To give you an idea of the time frame, it's 7pm here right now on a Friday. (: