Be Your Everything

The Room

6.14 A.M.
Harry was awake. He had tried to get back to sleep, but whenever he closed his eyes there she was. He couldn't understand why he was thinking about her so much, a girl he'd only met a few times and spoken only a few words to.
With an exaggerated sigh he threw the covers off himself and set his bare feet on the icy-cold floorboards. He winced as they creaked with every footstep and movement. Looking around the room, he noted just how much of a mess it had become since he’d moved in – there were clothes strewn over the floor, half-filled pieces of paper scattered on the chair in the corner (he had tried at writing some lyrics), and empty sweet wrappers in a pile next to the bed from when he’d gone all out and bought two bags to help him wallow in self-pity. That had been days ago. He’d clean it after he had a shower, he decided. He left the shower feeling a little more relaxed and padded into the kitchen and poured himself a bowl of Coco Pops.
He leaned on the counter and stared into space as he shoveled a spoonful into his mouth. He was thinking about home, wondering how his mum and sister were doing.
When he finished he placed his empty bowl on the counter, grabbed his mobile off the counter, and went to his speed dial list and dialed his mother’s number. She answered after 3 rings.
“Harry?” she questioned, sounding both worried and happy.
“Don’t worry, mum, nothing’s wrong,” he chuckled.
“You forget you’re in the papers, Harry.”
He didn’t know what to say to that.
“How have you been?” she asked sympathetically. He despised the tone in her voice – he didn’t need to be felt sorry for.
“I’ve been great,” he kept his tone even and played with the hem of his black t-shirt.
“Harry-“
“I’m fine, mum.”
He heard her sigh on the other end of the phone line. “Alright then.”
“I was just calling to see how you’re all doing…” he told her in an effort to change the subject.
“We’re fine. I’m getting over a bit of a cold, but I promise you we’re all well. Where are you now?”
“Er… I’m in a small town a fair way from London.”
“Oh, right. Yeah, I was told you’d be going away for a while. Do you know how long you’ll be gone?”
Harry knew she was wondering when she’d get to see him again. He had only just returned from tour when everything had gone down the drain. He missed her too, there was no doubt about it, but he knew that as soon as she was able to see him in person she would begin questioning, nagging, and fussing.
“I’ve got no idea. But I promise I’ll come see you as soon as I can.”
“I’m holding you to that,” he could hear her voice becoming choked. He was about to tell her not to cry, but- “I’ll let you go now, sweetheart. See you soon?”
“Yeah, mum, see you soon.”
“I love you.”
“Love you too,” he smiled and pressed end call, tears welling up in his eyes despite himself. He didn’t move for a few more minutes, too lost in thought to care. Why had he done it? It hadn’t done any good to anyone.
A car horn a few streets away brought him back to reality and he shook his head free of the unwelcome thoughts. He winced again at the creaking floorboards, not wanting to wake Liam, as he made his way to his room. Without any hesitation he went about plucking odd bits of clothes from the floor and chucking them into the dirty washing basket. He made a mental note to do a load of washing soon.
By the time 10 o’clock came around he had cleaned the whole house, including Liam’s room when he woke, and had almost finished watching a movie.
He paused it when he heard a knock on the door. It was 5 minutes from the end. He switched the TV off and strolled to the door, trying his best to look casual. He wasn’t feeling it.
When he opened it there she stood, fumbling with the sleeve of her shirt and looking at the ground.
“Hi,” he smiled and opened the door wider, stepping aside slightly. “Come on in.”
“Where’s your friend?” she asked immediately as if she was afraid he’d disapprove of her being there.
“He’s gone shopping,” Harry assured her. Liam had also taken all the dirty washing with him to the Laundromat.
“Oh,” was all she said, glancing around the room. In fact, he noticed, she was looking anywhere but him.
“Tea?” he offered, making his way to the kitchen to show her that he was making one for himself anyway – he knew she was the kind of girl who would say no if she thought it was any sort of hassle.
“Um… sure,” she gave him a weak smile and stood awkwardly, biting her lip. It was something she did when she was nervous, he had noted over their last few meetings.
“How do you have it?”
“Two sugars and a little milk,” she murmured, still avoiding his eyes.
“Are you alright?” he asked, unknowingly venturing into dangerous grounds.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm literally over halfway through another chapter so it should be up soon. It's pretty intense so watch out! ;) xo