Be Your Everything

Independent

Alice's eyes fluttered open and slowly began adjusting to the light. It wasn't daytime, but the brightness of the room almost overwhelmed her. The lights were on and someone was pottering around in the kitchen.
Then she became aware of just how warm the surface below her was. She started and looked up to see Harry's face, his chest rising and falling with his gentle breathing. She was slightly shocked at first but within a minute felt completely calm. She decided that she trusted him - what with all the confessions they had both made earlier that day.
"You're awake," a voice startled her and she looked up. Harry's friend and housemate was standing over her with a kind smile. "Are you hungry?"
"Er..." she bit her lip, feeling a little uncomfortable and out of place. "Sure."
"Do you like toasted sandwiches? I'm not the most amazing cook if you know what I mean..." he chuckled.
"That's fine. I probably should head home soon anyway."
"Alright. Oh, your phone was ringing before," he informed her with a look on his face that told her he'd only just remembered.
"Thank you," she tried her best to look grateful.
Alice reached into her pocket and pulled her mobile out, only to fin 3 missed calls and 2 new messages... all from her mum. "Ah, shit..." she cursed and pressed call back.
"Alice, for god's sake! Where are you?"
"I was gone for almost 3 days and you didn't call once, now all of a sudden you care?" Alice surprised herself by how hostile she was being.
Her mum didn't answer straight away but she she did she sounded hurt. "I was upset."
Alice couldn't believe her ears. Before she could answer, however, Harry stirred and opened his eyes. She looked away and answered her mother. "I was, by definition, missing and you tell me you were upset? Pathetic."
Harry was giving her a quizzical look but she shook her head quickly.
"I'm sorry, Alice, I never meant-"
"Don't, mum. I'm close to 20 years of age and I'll come home whenever I bloody well please."
And with that she hung up.
"Are you okay?" Harry spoke, and Alice had to do a double take when she heard his voice. It was much deeper than usual and made her slightly hot under the collar. (AKA it was hot ) "Oh um, yeah. Just my mum is..."
"Difficult?" Harry supplied with half a smile.
She reciprocated with a smile of her own and nodded. "Yeah, pretty much."
"Liam?" he called.
- and there his housemate was as if he had been waiting to be called. "Yeah?"
"Do I smell food?" Harry wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.
"He's making toasted sandwiches," Alice grinned, suddenly feeling a giddy sort of happiness. Telling her mother exactly how she felt and what she was thinking, that she was actually independent, was something different for her, something she had been wanting and needing to do for a long time. See, Liz had a habit of thinking her daughter was still 12, still unable to think for herself.
Harry raised his eyebrows at her and beamed. "You've already met!"
"Well, you were asleep mate," Liam chuckled then dragged his feet back to the kitchen.
"So do you feel any better now? Y'know, since last night."
Alice smiled timidly. "A little. Thank you by the way."
"What for?" Harry looked genuinely surprised.
"Being there for me. Not many people are..." she bit her lip and looked away.
"What do you mean by that?"
"I don't exactly have many friends... or any really..."
"Seriously?" he gaped. "You don't have many friends? But you're so-" he cut himself off and Alice could swear she saw him blush.
"I'm so what?" she raised a questioning eyebrow.
"Erm... you're so beautiful..."
A grin spread across her face. "Thank you. I'm not sure I agree with nor believe you but it's nice to hear all the same."
He scoffed. "As if you don't believe me. You do have a mirror in your house right?"
"Food's ready!" Liam's voice rang out from the kitchen, interrupting their conversation.

Alice licked her fingers and pushed her second plate of food away from her, half finished. "I cannot eat anymore."
"You've eaten more than me," Liam pointed out with a laugh.
"I eat like a fatty, I know."
"And you're so skinny! How do you do it?" Harry got down on his knees and held his hands out in front of him in prayer form. "Teach me your ways!"
"Alright, I'm outta here," Liam mumbled, and made a timely exit.
"Oh my god, get up!" Alice covered her face and giggled.
"What? Am I embarrassing you?"
"Yes!"
"How? We're the only ones in the room!" Harry smirked and used Alice's thighs to pull himself up from the floor and to his feet.
He stood in front of her and stared at her face until she looked up from her feet and saw him there. Her mouth fell open a little as her eyes made contact with his.
Oh, god... she thought, unable to say anything out loud. His eyes were such a gorgeous shade of green that it rendered her speechless.
Within seconds he had taken his chance and pressed his lips to hers in a chaste, sweet kiss. It wasn't anything more than it needed to be and didn't last any longer than it should have.
"Shit," said Alice, eyes wide.
"I'm sorry, I-"
"Don't apologize," she told him hastily. She had wanted to kiss him too, but now she was seeing flashes of what she imagined the future to be - Harry having to leave, not to mention the girls that would probably try to kill her if they found out what had just happened in this kitchen. She'd end up by herself again, probably with a broken heart to top it all off. It obviously didn't sound ideal. "I should uh... I should go home..."
"No, look... I just- I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable..."
"You didn't," she assured him, shaking her head. "I just don't think this - us - will work out."
He was silent for a moment, a frown on his face. "Why?"
"Harry, you're a celebrity, and I'm me. You live in London, the big city, and I live in this tiny town. It's not... it's not meant to be."
"How do you know it's not meant to be?"
"I can just-"
"What, see the future?"
Alice sighed and looked away. She knew she liked him, of course, but just couldn't work out if being hurt was worth any kind of shirt-lived happiness.
"Give it a go?" he pushed, a hopeful smile gracing his face. "Let me take you out. A proper date."
Shit. Now she had been put on the spot. How could she make a decision like this so lightly?
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, you all hate me for that ending. I've already started the new chapter though so you won't need to wait too long. I love you guys! Hope you like the chapter xo

Shoutout to these people for their lovely comments-

xiheartwolves

Harry_Styles

CrazyPebbles21

unmade beds

THANK YOU ALL! <3