Status: Keep watching for updates

Shout the Call

Chapter 14

“Let it go, Bea,” Aaron said as I made to follow after Jack, “let him get on with it.”

“I know honey but I do feel a little to blame in all of this. I’ve come into the fold, a fold that’s tight knit; no outsider’s. Now I’m here and in a way I can kind of understand him.”

“He’s just jealous, that’s all Bea. He knows how much I’m into you.”

“Obviously,” I said, feeling slightly smug, “that’s as plain as the nose on your face. Don’t you feel even a hint of guilt?”

“What the hell for?” Aaron shouted, making it clear that I had hit a nerve, “I haven’t got anything to prove or justify. I was never exclusively his and I never, ever will be.”

Aaron was completely right, of course but I still felt bad for Jack.

“I know that Aaron but please don’t let it lie like this,” I replied, “You’re a tight band, great friends and you have a gig tonight; at least try and clear some air for that.”

“And you think Jack’s going to listen to a single word I say?”

“I don’t know whether you’ve noticed honey,” I answered, “but he hangs on your every word. I also know you think a lot of him as he does of you too. Get it sorted Aaron or you’ll regret it forever.”

Aaron’s silence was deafening. He was raging war with himself; he was totally right yet wrong all the same. He cursed under his breath, sighed and stormed out after his best friend.

******

Time flew and before I knew it, it was to get in the pit and take position. There were three other photographers with me; a fact that excited me. There’s always a friendly competition and banter when there’s a few of you rushing around in a narrow space.

Anticipation was building quickly amongst the crowd but it felt somehow different this time. The crowd were, if this is possible, even more eager than usual. The chants of ‘Shout the Call’ began low and deep but quickly escalated to screams as the house lights went out and the band barrelled on stage. After shooting through the usual ‘three song rule’, we all filed out of the pit. I introduced myself to the three others and we swapped business cards without even thinking and parted ways.

I wasn’t watching at all where I was going as I headed down the harsh, neon lit corridor to our room so the startled yelp I let out was no surprise as I slammed, almost head on, into Jack.

“I’m so sorry,” I stuttered.

“You should be,” Jack said angrily, “just watch where you’re fucking going, huh?”

I looked at Jack in shock; there really was no need for that, especially after I had apologised.

“Look, I know you’re upset about earlier,” I said, quickly stopping myself from saying much more. I didn’t want to let on that I knew what had happened between the two of them.

“Why would I be upset?” he asked, sensing that I knew more than I really should do.

“Oh, no reason,” I answered, hoping I could come back with a believable retort, “It’s just not something you want to walk in on, is it really?”

“Can’t say I’m bothered to be honest, Beatrice,” Jack replied and by using my full, first name, I knew he meant business.

“Cool,” I replied simply, beginning to feel fear well up in my chest.

“Well, actually – no, it’s not!” Jack shouted through gritted teeth and clenched jaw, “You think Aaron likes you? You really think he wants you?”
“Not that I have to answer that,” I answered, feeling my fear disperse, making way for anger, “and although it has absolutely nothing at all to do with you, but yes – I think he does.”

Jack laughed; it was dramatic and false.

“For God’s sake, Bea, Aaron is a vampire – we all are.”

“And?”

“Have you seen all the shitty movies and read all those godforsaken books?” Jack asked, irritated.

“I’ve watched a few, yes.”

“We drink blood,” he replied. I rolled my eyes, how boring. Jack went on, “We drain idiot human beings, much like you, of their blood.”

Even though I didn’t want to get angry, I couldn’t help it and Jack knew full well he was causing chinks to appear in my armour.

“Cool. Thanks for the lovely chat, Jack. I really have enjoyed it but while you go off and drain some idiot human beings like me, I think I’ll go and help myself to hospitality. Knock ‘em dead.” I turned to walk away but not before noticing his irritated expression. It was clear he didn’t like my attempt at sarcasm.

Jack’s face suddenly turned angry again as he threw me up against the wall. He pinned me to the spot, leaving me absolutely no room to move or manoeuvre out of his grasp.

“He only wants you for one thing, you know that right? So what’s say I beat him to it?” He whispered into my ear before he pulled my head to one side, exposing my neck. I felt his breath tickle my skin and then his lips brush over it.

I shut my eyes tight and just as I braced myself for the inevitable, there was a thwacking sound and Jack dropped to the floor. I opened my eyes to see Aaron standing in front of me, behind Jack’s crumpled heap of a body; he brandished a baseball bat in his right hand.

“You okay?” he asked, shaking with anger and adrenaline.

“I am now.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Update folks. Thanks in advance