Status: Keep watching for updates

Shout the Call

Chapter 15

“Oh my God,” I said, suddenly remembering Jack was flat out on the floor, “is he going to be okay?”
“You’re telling me you care about the shit bag?” Aaron replied, confused and somewhat shocked.
“Well, yes, a little bit.”
“Why Bea? He just tried to drain you for Christ’s sake!”
“I’m aware of that. I’m not stupid, Aaron,” I said, puzzled by my sudden defensiveness of Jack, “You guys have been through too much together. I don’t want to be the one who ruins that.”
“You’re out of your mind, you know that!” Aaron spat at me, shaking his head and laughing.
My throat became thick and I struggled to keep tears back.
“Please Aaron,” I said, my voice shaking, “don’t talk to me like a child. I’ve more than aware of the situation and surroundings I’m in. I’m far from out of my mind.”
Aaron’s demeanour shifted almost immediately. He knew I was no fool and that my head was screwed on the right way. He pulled me to his chest and held me like as though he would never let me go. He let out a deep, heavy sigh.
“Oh Bea, I’m sorry sugar. I’m just wound up. Just put yourself in my shoes though; you would have done the same, right?”
“Maybe not exactly,” I replied, “I don’t think I would have had the balls to do what you just did but yes, it would definitely have got my back up.”
“Would it make you feel any better if he wait until he comes round?” Aaron asked reluctantly before placing a tender kiss on my forehead.
“Oh, so he will come round then?” I asked, smiling cheekily, “because that blow would have rendered any mere mortal extinct.”
We both laughed and stepped over to the opposite wall. We rested our backs to it and sank down to sitting positions.
“You realise we might be here a while, right?” Aaron asked, leaning into me.
“I spy with my little eye.”

******

Jack winced and groaned as he unfurled himself. I swear I could hear his bones crunching, almost as if they were resetting themselves.
“So nice of you to join us,” Aaron said as he stood up. He stepped over to Jack and kicked his feet sharply, “enjoyed your nap?”
“What?” Jack replied, sounding drunk, “What happened?”
“How very convenient,” Aaron replied, turning to look at me out the corner of his eye. Jack still looked utterly bemused.
“What the hell are you going on about?”
“Oh, so I assume you don’t remember me catching you trying to drain Bea?”
I half expected Jake to look disgusted, maybe even shocked but no.
“And?” Jake replied, “Because we all know that’s the only reason she’s really here, right?”
“Fuck you Jake,” Aaron shouted, right up in Jake’s face.
“Ooh, someone’s getting riled. Hit a nerve, have I?”
“Bea, get out of here,” Aaron urged but I was in no way ready to leave.
“Um, I don’t think so honey,” I shot in, “I think I have more than a right to be here, don’t you?”
“Don’t argue with me, not now. Please, just get out of here.”
I couldn’t quite believe what I was doing but I stood, rigid; nailed to the spot. My stubbornness was kicking in.
“Actually,” Jack said, interrupting our little lover’s tiff, “I personally think its best that Beatrice hangs around. It’s about time she heard some home truths.”
“What truths would those be then Jack?”
“You know damn well what, Aaron!”
“Oh, I think I know what this is all about Bea,” Aaron said, turning to me.
“Jack, I know about you and Aaron,” I said, stopping my boyfriend from going any further. Jack’s face dropped and any amount of smugness he was feeling quickly disappeared.
“What have you done? What have you told her?” Jack shouted at Aaron, grabbing hold of his shirt and yanking him towards him.
“The truth” he replied with a smirk, “and nothing but the truth, so help me God.”
“You bastard Aaron!” Jack spat.
“What’s the matter mate; I thought you wanted Bea to know everything?”
Jack could not deny it and therefore had no argument. He had no words. Aaron seized his opportunity to gloat.
“Yes, she knows everything and I mean everything,” Aaron confirmed, “that’s what you do when you love someone, Jack. You talk to them and if something’s bothering you, you talk through your troubles.”
This wasn’t awkward at all.
“You don’t love her, Aaron; she’s only here because you want to feed on her. It’s that simple.”
“Change the bloody record Jack. This shit’s boring the hell out of me now.” Aaron said and the look on Jack’s face suggested he knew he was losing the battle.
“Now,” Aaron continued, “even though you’ve pissed me off, and believe me, my friend, that is a pretty epic understatement, I’m willing to put this shit to bed. No matter what, we are Shout the Call and whether you like it or not, we’re bound by contract to tour the hell out of this record. Oh, and also, you’re my best friend in this world. So, let’s just get back to business, shall we?”
I immediately felt incredibly proud; it takes a big person to offer out the proverbial olive branch, especially when they’re not even the slightest bit in the wrong. Aaron extended his hand to Jack. Jack grabbed it and shook it strongly before he was pulled into a tight hug. I
I’m positive I didn’t see the look of evil on Jack’s face before he looked straight, smirking sinisterly.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm typed right up now to chapter 20, so there'll be five chapters posted over the next day or so to keep you up to date.