He Haunts Me

The Interview

“Good morning sunshine!” my mom ripped my comforter off me. “You have to wake-up and go to school!” Why is she so cheery in the morning? “I’ll do it tomorrow.” I mumbled rolling over and burying my face in my pillow. “Nice try, get up.” my mom pulled me off my bed and I landed on the floor with a thud. “I want you dressed before I leave.” my mom reminded me as I laid flat on my back staring at the ceiling.

“Good morning, Cecilia.” Jasper looked down at from where he was standing next to me in pajama pants and a plain navy blue t-shirt. His black hair was tousled and he wore a scowl on his face, as he always seemed to. I hugged my self for warmth that my shorts, tank top, and Jasper were robbing me of. I couldn't help but notice the minty vanilla scent Jasper carried with him. “What’s good about?” I moaned enjoying his scent, even though he was a jerk. “Well for me, TV.” My TV lit up and the sound of the News theme filled my ears.

Jasper and I ignored each other all morning. Except for him telling me to brush my hair. I ignored him and did a few other things before I brushed my hair. “Bye.” I grumbled leaving Jasper wrapped in my comforter he seemed to like. “Yeah.” he replied mindlessly without taking his eyes off the television screen. Why were we acting this way? Jasper was whining all night. Not like the ‘I’m bored’ whine, like he was in my closet whining wordlessly like he was in pain. When I asked for him what was wrong, his only response whining louder. I finally had to resort in listening to my iPod to drown him out.

I left earlier than normal but the vibes I was getting from Jasper was one the I was un-welcomed, more than usual. I noticed a tiny Starbucks near a gas station on my way to school. I stopped and got a Frapicchino then continued to my way to school. The school grounds were mostly empty so I sat on concrete stairs were no one seemed to be the last two days. I took out the current book I was and continued where I left off. “Well don’t you look sophisticated with your Starbucks and your book.” Nick sat next to me on the cold concrete.

“Sophisticated huh? I was going more for the loner look, damn.” I closed my book and stuffed it back into my bag. Nick was laughing lightly. “Um I write for the school News Paper, I know it’s probably the lamest thing ever but” he rambled. “No, I think it’s cool.” I cut him off. He grinned “Okay, well I have to write about an artist at our school and there is only this one girl Violet who I wrote about at least ten times. So when the editor told me to write another article about Art I was like ‘Hey, Cecilia’s an artist.’ so I was wondering if I could you know interview you?”

“Sure.” I smiled brightly. “Okay sweet, so can I come over after school to see your art and interview you?” he asked awkwardly. “Yeah, that’s fine.” I mixed my drink with the straw. “Alright, so I’ll see you later.” he got up and left me once again alone on the concrete. What else is new? The school day drug on and nothing happened. Nothing ever does happen at school.

Jasper wasn’t the anywhere to be seen when I came home. I kind of expected that. I threw my bag on the couch like I did everyday and headed to my room. I was looking forward to Nick coming over but I didn’t know exactly when he was so I rushed to change out of my plain black t-shirt and into a dark teal t-shirt with a faded image of Transformers on the front. I pulled on a mustard colored hoodie. I grabbed my guitar. I left my dirty clothes on the floor and grabbed two folders from my Art room and ran downstairs excitedly.

It may seem crazy but I thought maybe Nick could be my friend. Sure we weren’t exactly friends yet but we were heading toward friends, right? I waited and hour and a half strumming mindlessly while I looked at the TV when finally the door bell rang. At this point I was convinced that I was making up Jasper yesterday. I dropped my sunburst guitar, Sunny, and stood up breathing deeply and straightening out my hoodie before I pulled the door open. “Hey.” Nick smiled weakly with his hands in the pockets of his orange hoodie. “Hey.” I greeted stepping aside and letting him in.

“Sick guitar.” Nick face lit up when he saw Sunny sitting on the couch. “Thanks.” I smiled brightly. I loved that guitar more than I loved anything. “Alright well, um, I have folders here that have some of my art in them.” I said walking into the living room. “Alright.” Nick looked through the folders silently. I made me nervous. Maybe I sucked at art and my mom just told me I was great so I would have high self esteem. Oh shit-oh shit-oh shit. I began panicking. “These are...amazing.” Nick finally said looking up from the pictures. I smiled in relief “Thanks.”

Nick continued by asking me pointless seeming questions. What does my favorite color have to do with my art? What does my favorite band matter? Why is my family background important? I didn’t ask any of the questions. I didn’t want to seem rude. Out of nowhere there was a flash. Nick grinned at me from behind his camera. “Wait, I wasn’t ready!” I protested. “That’s alright. The best kind of pictures are taken when you’re not ready. Well I really should be going.” Nick stood up from the couch. “Um alright, bye.” I said fallowing him to the door and watching him walk toward his house for a few seconds before I closed and locked the door.