Status: Pre-write

Semper Fi, I love you

One/One

"I love you," she wrapped her small arms around his neck and hugged him tight.

"I love you more," he argued back jokingly. His arms snaked around her waist and held her close. The last thing he wanted was for this moment to end. Luke kissed her forehead softly. "I love you, so much." He fought back tears that kept threatening to fall. Luke knew it wasn't weak to show tears, but this was his baby girl and she was scared so was he. Luke rocked back and forth a little bit with her in his arms. The silence was as golden as Heavens gates'. Luke then realized that was the last place he wanted to be any time soon. He sighed softly, "C'mon, let's go and tell everyone."

Melody sighed and held his hand. Her thoughts were flying everywhere. She was just asked to be someones wife, and then he broke the news that he is enlisting at the end of the week. Melody fought back the tears that had been wanting to fall since he told her. Melody looked up to her fiance and bit her lip, "I love you." The only words that seemed to escape her peach lips, three words that she knew had only ever meant something when they were heard by Luke. Melody let the light shine over her small body as they stepped out into the summer air. Her mother was standing out by her father, the two were chatting about something, Melody ran over to them. "Mommy, I'm get married!"

Her mother's mouth dropped open in excitement. She hugged her nineteen year old daughter and kissed her cheek, "I knew you two would end up together." Her mother smiled and hugged her tight. Then she released Melody as Luke came over. She hugged Luke tight and kissed his cheek, "Treat my angel right." She whispered and hugged Luke tight.

Luke chuckled, "I will always treat her right, ma'am." Luke was the perfect country boy. He never swore in front of adults, he held open doors for girls and he always respected the women in his life. Luke was a charmer, and always had been. All through high school girls were after him, and he always turned them down. His heart had been stuck on Melody since the day they met, fourteen years ago to the date. He chuckled, "She's the love of my life."

Melody felt the pink rush into her cheeks, she bit her lip. Then she looked down to the silver ring and remember what was engraved on the inside. 'June fourteenth, nineteen ninety eight.' The day they had first met when Melody moved into town. She blushed deeply, then the tears hit her eyes again. They still had to make the announcement of his enlisting. Melody looked to Luke and took his large hand with her small one and bit her lip, "Should we tell them?"

Everyone in the group became quiet. They were expecting her to announce a pregnancy. "Everyone, I'm enlisting this Friday." Luke sounded so confident. He smiled broadly and wrapped his arm around Melody. There was a roar of clapping and hoots. Luke was the youngest of six brothers, each of them had enlisted. Each of them had served, it was Luke's turn now. Not that Melody was too happy with the choice, she accepted it with an honor. She loved him and knew that her soon-to-be-husband would be serving the beautiful country that allowed them to meet.

The rest of the night was a blur. The rest of the summer was a blur. Luke was enlisted and he was ready to be shipped off to basic. Melody hugged him tight as he stood there. His hair was cut straight, and his outfit was pressed. Melody started crying, she knew it was only training, but she wasn't ready for him to leave. It meant when he came back in a few months they were to be married, then a month after that he was going to leave. She wasn't ready for that and she didn't care if it sounded selfish. Melody wanted the marriage she saw everyone else have. She bit her lip and hugged him tighter.

Luke smiled, "I love you, Melody McEntire." He kissed her softly and picked her up for a moment. Feeling every small inch of her body. He smiled as the kiss broke.

"I love you too, Luke Brentts." She smiled and leaned her head against his chest. With a small sigh she waved as he walked away. Her body suddenly felt cold as he walked away. Luke was her sunlight and she wasn't sure if she could live through months of just having the moon. Melody turned as the bus pulled out. She walked over to her mother and leaned into her for a hug. Tears trickled down her cheeks. She just wanted her love with her.

---

Melody smiled and ran up to her fiance. He was standing there adorned in the blue suit and white cap. She hugged him tight and he spun her around. Tears of happiness fell from her soft cheeks. She was ecstatic. His returning only meant one thing, in two weeks they were going to be married. Melody squealed in delight and kissed hm deeply.

Luke hated being away from her more than anything in the world. He held her and kissed her and smiled. "I missed you." He whispered then scooped her up and ran her to his truck. She drove it over for him, he put her into the passenger side and climbed into his side. With a huge smile he wrapped his arm around his girl and started up his old Chevy. The music started up and Trace Adkins started pouring through the speakers. Luke sang along with a grin and kept Melody close. She just sat there and laughed like a high school girl again. She felt like a little kid as they drove around town, letting the mud fly up behind them. Soon the two pulled up in font of a white house. Luke grinned and kissed her again, "Our home."

Melody blinked a few times, then smiled. "Ours?" She jumped out of the car, her small jean shorts clung to her as she ran up onto the porch. She giggled and stood there as Luke turned up the music, Melody started dancing on the porch. Her hips swayed from side to side as she ran a hand through her chestnut curls. Melody wiggled her finger and bit her lip. "C'mere!"

Luke got out of the truck and ran up to her. He was still in his Marine clad as he kissed her neck, "Ours, forever." He grinned and nipped her neck softly. He then scooped her up and ran into the house. His mother had been working on decorating and getting everything ready. Luke smiled and ran her up the stairs. With a grin he laid her on the bed then ran into the bathroom where he slipped off his outfit and left himself in just his boxers.

Melody bit her lip and felt herself blush. Luke kissed her softly and held her close. Melody smiled, "I love you."

"I love you more."

---

Melody smiled as her father handed her off to Luke. She felt her whole body turn red as she blushed deeply. The love of her life was standing there in front of her, his body was dressed to perfection. Melody bit her lip and smiled deeply. The ceremony seemed to rush by. Before she knew it she was being asked for her vows. Melody cleared her throat, "Luke, ever since the day we met I haven't been able to stop thinking about you. You have never failed to make me feel like a princess, and I love you more than life itself. You were my first kiss in the seventh grade. It was a dare and it was my thirteenth birthday party. I was so nervous because I liked you a lot, and I was afraid you wouldn't like me after we kissed. I was wrong." There was a little giggle from the crowd. "When I was sixteen I decided it was time to introduce you as my boyfriend. You asked me out by carving my name into the old oak tree. I giggled and accepted. You held me close, then we went to my house and I told my parents. They were ecstatic because they loved you. Hey, everyone loves you still." She smiled and fought back tears. "The day you asked me to marry you was perfect. I agreed with no hesitation, even though you told me you were enlisting. It broke my heart, but I knew you were doing something amazing." She stopped again and looked out to her mother, she smiled and urged her to continue. "Luke Brentts, you stole my heart and I don't know what I would do without you. I'm so grateful to say I am the wife of a Marine. I love you from now until the day we are at God's door and past that." She finished and her best friend Jenny wiped her eyes as Melody bit her small lip.

The priest smiled and looked to Luke, "It's your turn, son."

Luke sighed and took out a piece of paper. It was written all over, both sides. "Melody, where do I start? You're beautiful, smart and funny. I love everything about you. Your smile, your hair, your heart and the cute little way you scrunch your nose up when you don't like something. But the thing I love the most is that you're mine now and forever. I have wanted to be yours since the first day we met. I was five and I thought you were cute, then as we grew I realized you were beautiful. And now? I can only call you gorgeous, because those other words just don't fit you at all." He smiled, "I remember our first kiss, our first hug the first time we held hands and walked down the school hallways. Everyone knew it was bound to happen, but as usual, we were too stupid to see it at first. I'm just glad you agreed to be my girlfriend, or I would've had to cut that tree down so nothing would be awkward." He chuckled softly. "My mother loves you, my little sister Jenny just can't get enough of you. H-ell, you two are best friends, sometimes I thought you were only with me so you could be her friend." A few laughs escaped the people there. "But Melody, I just love you. You're my angel, you're the reason I'm still alive. You're the reason I enlisted, I wanted to enlist so I could protect more than just this country. I enlisted so I could protect the love of my life and my family." He beamed a light red. "I want nothing other than to be yours. I love you, Melody Brentts. From now until the end of all time." He folded the paper back up and shoved it in his pocket.

The ceremony continued, "Do you Melody McEntire take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold through sickness and health, through richer and poorer as long as you both shall live?"

"I do."

"And do you, Luke Brentts take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold through sickness and health, through richer and poorer as long as you both shall live?"

"I do."

"It is now my pleasure to announce you man and bride. You may kiss your bride."

Luke cupped her small face in his gloved hands and leaned in. His lips touched hers softly.

"Ladies and gentlemen, it is with my greatest pleasure to announce Mr. and Mrs. Luke Brentts!" Everyone stood up and clapped wildly as the young couple ran down the steps and out the door. It was now their turn to start their lives together.

---

Melody let out small sobs as she looked at the small white test. A pink plus sign adorned it. Melody cried harder, she was afraid. Luke had left for his time to serve and she was left alone. Melody didn't want to tell anyone, she didn't want them to feel pity for her because she was alone for the time being. Melody continued to sob and shake. She sat on the bed in the large house she was left with. She grabbed the picture from their wedding day and held it to her chest as she cried. Melody knew it would happen, she knew she'd end up pregnant the moment Luke left. She wasn't so much upset as she was afraid. Now that she as for sure pregnant, she didn't want there to be a chance of her being left alone with a small child.

---

Luke laid down for a moment, he sighed softly to himself. He just wanted to be home with the love of his life. He was ready to start a family with her. He didn't want to be gone from her. Thoughts of Melody drifted through his mind. Each one about her smile and laugh. Her small nose scrunching up as she tasted beer for the first time. Her laugh when he fell off the four-wheeler and landed in the mud last summer. Luke sighed and stood his ground. He knew it would be over soon and he could go home and hold his small wife in his arms. That's all he wanted, was to hold her and tell her that everything was alright and that they could start their family together. Then a thought hit Luke, 'If she isn't already pregnant.'

---

Melody was rushed into the hospital. Her contractions were only seconds a part and she knew the baby was coming. She screamed out and grabbed Jenny's hand and cried. She wanted Luke to be there, but she knew that wasn't happening. With a cry she let tears fall. Soon she was propped up and was told to start pushing. After an hour and a half of pushing she was greeted by a loud cry. "It's a boy!" Melody cried and shook. A boy, a little Luke. "Wait, I think there's another one." Melody blinked, she hadn't been expecting two. "One more push." Melody barely had anything left in her body. She pushed and then was greeted by another cry, "It's a girl." Melody cried hard. She was the mother of twins. The mother of twins and she couldn't even share the moment with the love of her life.

---

Melody finished the dishes and wiped her hands on the towel. She heard knock at the door. Walking over to it, she opened it slowly and bit her lip. She hated opening the door, she was just afraid of the worst. Tears threatened to fall. Her hand clasped over her mouth as she saw what stood in front of her. A man, six foot four, a small smile on his lips. He took his cap off and smiled at her. "Ma'am, I'm here to talk to you."

Melody broke down at the door, Luke had done what he promised. He returned to her. His arms wrapped around her body as he held her tight. "You didn't tell me you were coming home." She finally managed.

"It was a surprise." He smiled softly and kissed her forehead. Melody cried harder, then two little bundles came crawling out of the living room. A little boy with bright blue eyes and a little girl with deep brown eyes. "W-what?"

Melody nodded softly and cried harder, this times tears of joy. "You're a daddy."

Luke scooped up the little bundles then kissed his wife, "We're a family."

"I love you." She leaned against him and bit her lip with a smile.

"I love you more."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoyed it.

My best friend of three and a half years is in basic right now to become a Marine. This is inspired by him and his hopeful future.

Thank you all, to our troops out there.

xx