Status: Active

If Jealousy Could Kill

Chapter 18: Vacation Time

“Haruna, are you okay?” The eldest brunette looked up from the sudden voice that had snapped her out of the thoughts plaguing her mind. She saw her girlfriend standing in front of her, the room key held in her hand and a sweet smile on her face. She had her head tilted to the side as her curious eyes stared into Haruna’s.

“I’m fine,” Haruna answered, doing her best to make her tone sound confident. Tomomi couldn’t help her sigh, she knew Haruna wasn’t fine. She was probably letting her mind wander out of control again.

“Are you sure?” Tomomi continued to push. Haruna let out a huff of air, scratching the back of her neck. Tomomi could see right through her. Haruna really wasn’t okay, but she wasn’t exactly upset either. She was simply worried about Rina. It was just in her nature to worry about Rina when she left her alone as she had.

“I’m sorry, Timo. I’m just thinking about Rina. She looked so upset when we left…” Haruna let her sentence trail off, her eyes looking away from Tomomi.

The night Haruna had originally told Rina of her and Tomomi’s plans; she had thought Rina’s sudden burst of sadness was just that, a sudden burst that didn’t mean much. It had only been a few days since she told the three of them about their plans, the couple in question having decided to leave for the following weekend. Ever since she’d told Rina, she could see Rina’s mood had dropped. Haruna realized quickly that the sadness that night wasn’t something momentary. She didn’t understand or know why Rina was so upset but that didn’t stop Haruna from feeling responsible for it.

“Rina just isn’t used to you being away. I mean, you two are practically always together, aren’t you? When was the last time you were away from her like this? She just needs some getting used to it. I’m sure Miyuki and Mami will help keep her busy until you come back, they’ll make it so she won’t even realize you’re gone,” Tomomi assured her.

Haruna sighed, shaking her head. She felt Tomomi wrap her arms around her, pulling their bodies together in a close hug. It seemed like their roles were getting reversed a lot more often lately. The usually sensitive Tomomi was finding herself having to comfort Haruna a lot more; it had only gotten worse ever since Miyuki started dating Rina. Tomomi didn’t mind comforting Haruna, but it still worried her when the usually independent brunette became so upset like this. It was simply so different from her normal behavior that Tomomi couldn’t help but worry at least a little.

“I promise you that Rina will be fine, she just needs some time getting used to it.” Tomomi pulled away from Haruna but kept her hands on her arms, holding her tightly. “Now, I don’t want you thinking about Rina or Miyuki. I don’t even want you thinking about Mami. This is our weekend and it’s supposed to help de-stress you, so no thinking about anything that would upset you. Got it?”

“I got it,” Haruna said with a soft giggle. The way Tomomi had tried to sound bossy and authoritative with her tone made Haruna laugh, it just looked and sounded very odd on someone as childish as Tomomi. Haruna leaned up and gave Tomomi a quick kiss for her words of encouragement.

She was probably right; Haruna just had to accept that. Tomomi did have a point when she said Rina and Haruna were always together, Haruna couldn’t remember the last time she or Rina had gone away without the other. Even when the girls went back to Osaka to visit their families, they’d usually both go together with Mami. All three girls had their families back in Osaka so it was easier for the three tight-knit friends to just go home together. This weekend would be the first time in forever when Rina and Haruna would be miles apart from each other and not see one another for a few days.

“Thank you, Haruna. Just remember that Rina has got two great people by her side. Mami alone is enough of a handful to keep Rina busy so I’m sure she’ll be doubly busy with Miyuki as well,” Tomomi said. She smiled when she saw Haruna laugh at her comment about the trio. “Now let’s go find our room.”

“Lead the way, Miss Ogawa,” Haruna said, a sly smile on her face. Tomomi sneered at Haruna for her sarcastic comment before she laced her hand with Haruna’s, pulling the older girl towards the hallway of the small building.

The two girls had chosen to come up to a small spa in the mountains only a few hours away from Tokyo. The couple had chosen a small motel nestled within the woods of the town of Hakone-machi. Haruna had never heard of it but Tomomi claimed to have heard great things about it. It wasn’t the largest place in the popular resort town, but Haruna preferred it. The hotel felt quite homey because it wasn’t bustling like many other hotels in this town might be.

Haruna’s eyes scanned the hallways as Tomomi led her down them. They passed by many different groups of people from couples to families, all here for a relaxing trip to a hot spring and a spa.

“This is our room,” Tomomi said finally, bringing the couple to a stop. She let Haruna’s hand go, setting her bag down onto the floor before beginning to fiddle with the lock. After a few seconds of struggle, she managed to get the door open. She reached back and grabbed Haruna’s hand before picking up her bag and dragging her girlfriend into the room.

As the two girls made their way into the room, Haruna’s eyes wandered about, taking in all of the scenery of the room. Tomomi could hear the older girl murmur out a ‘wow’ and a small laugh left the younger girl. Haruna was so impressed by this and it wasn’t even really that much of an expensive place. She was just happy that Haruna was enjoying herself so far.

Tomomi let Haruna’s hand go again before she sat the bag back down onto the floor, leaning it up against the bed. She twirled around to see that Haruna had done much of the same thing, the older girl now taking steps towards Tomomi. Haruna wrapped her arms around Tomomi’s waist, nuzzling her head against the taller girl’s chest.

“This is already so lovely, Timo. Thank you for bringing me,” Haruna murmured softly. Tomomi giggled, wrapping her arms around Haruna and giving her a tight squeeze. Haruna lifted her head and when she did, the younger girl connected the two of them in a kiss.

“Well, we’re only here for two days so let’s make the most of it, okay?”

“I wish we were here for longer,” Haruna said. Tomomi smiled at her girlfriend’s comment, leaning down and kissing her again. She held Haruna close to her, deepening the kiss between them. She pulled away from Haruna finally, bringing up a hand to run her fingers through the older girl’s soft hair.

“Why don’t we go get something to eat and then we can get into one of the springs?” Tomomi suggested to her.

“That sounds like a perfect plan to me,” Haruna agreed. She broke away from Tomomi’s grasp, grabbing her hand and dragging the younger girl out of the room. Tomomi let out a small squeak from the sudden pull but her squeak soon turned to laughter as she let herself be drug along.

***

Tomomi was lying down on the bed on her stomach, her feet swinging back and forth in the air while her hands busied themselves with her phone. She let her head loll to the side as her eyes stared lazily at her phone. She was waiting patiently for Haruna to get out of the shower so the two of them could make their way out to one of the hot springs at the hotel but of course, as usual, it was taking Haruna nearly forever in the bathroom. She really didn’t understand what took Haruna so long all the time.

The brunette let out a soft sigh, her head drooping downward as she picked out a game to play on her phone, the long sleeves of the robe she wore making it only slightly harder to do so. She’d finished her shower a few minutes ago before turning it over to Haruna, who had offered to share the shower with Tomomi only for the younger girl to decline the offer while blushing madly.

Tomomi was in the middle of a puzzle type of game when she felt the bed shift, signaling that someone had sat down next to her on the bed. It didn’t take long for an arm to snake over her head, taking the phone out of her hand. She let out a small laugh when she felt the person get up, followed by the sound of a drawer opening. She heard the distinct sound of the phone being dropped in the drawer come a few seconds later.

“If I am not allowed to think about anyone else then you are not allowed to talk about anyone else. You can have your phone back when we leave for home,” Haruna informed her girlfriend, who only laughed even more at the bossy tone Haruna had used. Tomomi really should have seen that one coming.

“Possessive much?” Tomomi joked with her. She didn’t get a response though, just simply hearing the sound of footsteps making their way back to her.

Haruna came back to sit down next to the still laying Tomomi on the bed. She could feel the small hand on her back and a smile came to her face. She let her head drop down onto the bed while the hand on her back began to lightly move itself up and down. She could see Haruna bring an arm up to her face, her rough fingertips gently running themselves along Tomomi’s cheek. The younger brunette pushed her head forward, kissing the exposed skin of the arm.

Tomomi’s actions stalled when a though occurred to her. Exposed skin? If Haruna was wearing her robe then she wouldn’t have any skin on her arm exposed. She sighed softly at the thought and heard Haruna giggle, knowing very well that the thoughts going through Tomomi’s mind were going through Haruna’s as well.

“Haru, are you wearing any clothes?” Tomomi asked, deciding it was better to just get it over with. She could hear Haruna let out a chuckle before the older girl kissed the back of her neck.

“That depends, does a towel count?” Haruna asked. Tomomi let out a groan only for it to be met with more laughter from Haruna. Haruna was such a handful sometimes.

“Haruna!” Tomomi said in a scolding tone. “Go cover yourself.”

“Technically, I am covered,” Haruna pointed out. Tomomi could hear the laughter that Haruna was trying to hold back cling onto her words. The younger brunette shook her head, dropping her head downwards.

“Can you ever stop being such a pain all the time?” Tomomi could see Haruna’s head reach around, the older girl kissing her lovingly on the cheek.

“Not really, Timo. Being a pain is kind of my thing,” Haruna retorted. She patted Tomomi gently on the back before speaking up again. “Relax, I’ll go put on the yukata so we can get going.”

“Thank you,” Tomomi said as she felt Haruna get up from the bed. She could hear the soft footsteps make their way across the room to wherever Haruna had laid her own robe.

“I don’t see why this bothers you so much though. We’re both girls, it’s not like I’ve got anything you don’t have. Besides, we’re girlfriends at that and you’re going to see me naked soon at the spring anyway.”

“That’s exactly why though,” Tomomi pushed in. “It’s not appropriate for me to look at my girlfriend like that.”

Tomomi didn’t get a response and as the silence drug on, she was beginning to worry that she had somehow upset Haruna with her comments. Her reactions really had nothing to do with Haruna personally; it was just how she was raised. It wasn’t much longer before Tomomi could hear Haruna coming back over to her.

She saw Haruna kneel down by the bed she still laid on, giving her a gentle smile. Haruna had her hair tied back into a ponytail, a few stray strands hanging down into her face and making her look that much more beautiful in Tomomi’s eyes.

Haruna reached out an arm, bringing it up so her fingertips could gently caress Tomomi’s cheek again, and the soft material of her yukata brushing against Tomomi’s cheek as well. Haruna leaned forward and gave Tomomi a gentle peck.

“You’re so traditional,” she said once she separated the two girls. Tomomi furrowed her eyebrows together, staring at Haruna in confusion. It was taking everything in the older girl not to laugh at the expression on Tomomi’s face at the moment. Haruna was trying to be sweet and sincere right now, laughing at Tomomi’s expression would completely ruin that.

“Is that bad?” Tomomi squeaked out finally. Haruna chuckled, shaking her head in response.

“It’s different for me, but it’s a good different. You’re kind of cute when you get all traditional on me like this. I promise I won’t push you into anything. I’m just joking, I hope you know that.” Tomomi could feel herself beginning to blush from Haruna’s rather odd compliment. She could see Haruna give her a big grin before the older girl slapped her hard on the back. “Well come on then, we’ve got a hot spring to enjoy, don’t we?”

“You change so quickly,” Tomomi murmured, which only caused the girl to flash her another big grin. With a heave, Tomomi pushed herself off the bed. She brushed down her yukata to straighten it out before turning to Haruna and lacing their hands together.

Without another word, the two girls finally left their rooms, making the short distance down to where they knew one of the hot springs was. When the girls got to the right door, Tomomi slid it open, pulling Haruna out into the darkened outside. The younger brunette’s footsteps stopped abruptly when she looked around, noticing that there was no one else out there.

“No one is here,” Tomomi pointed out.

“Thank you, Captain Obvious,” Haruna cracked, earning herself a glare from her girlfriend. Haruna laughed at the glare she received, breaking her hand away from Tomomi. She patted Tomomi’s cheek lightly as she passed her girlfriend, making her way over to the rocky spring in front of them. “It is like 9 at night, you know, I’m sure most people are sleeping by this point.”

The girls hadn’t left Tokyo until late. Even when Tomomi left school for the weekend, she still had to wait a few extra hours until Haruna got off work. By the time they were leaving, it was already five and from the nearly two hour drive, it didn’t put them at the hotel until around 7. By the time they were finished eating and Haruna had gotten finished with her shower, it was nearing 9 pm. Tomomi didn’t mind being out here this late if it meant being in a hot spring though and neither did Haruna, they had both been eagerly awaiting to do something like this since Tomomi suggested it.

Tomomi moved forward, following her girlfriend’s lead but she stopped again when she saw Haruna begin to undo her yukata. She knew this was normal for a hot spring but it was still Haruna. Tomomi tried to look away but she found herself staring anyway. She watched Haruna drop the yukata to the ground and she could instantly feel her face beginning to heat up as she found herself staring at her girlfriend. She really couldn’t help herself.

Her fingers picked at a loose string on her own yukata while she watched Haruna slowly lower herself into the water, pulling her ponytail up and letting it drop onto the side of the spring so it wouldn’t touch the water.

“You can stop staring at me now,” Haruna said suddenly, catching Tomomi off guard. She could hear another squeak come out of her girlfriend and a satisfied smile came to Haruna’s face, Tomomi was always adorable when she made sounds like that.

“I-I was not staring!” Tomomi insisted. She cleared her throat, making her way over to spring that Haruna was soaking herself in.

“You’re such a liar,” she heard Haruna say. She could hear the familiar, smug tone clinging onto Haruna’s words and she knew the older brunette was enjoying having caught Tomomi staring at her. She knew Haruna was probably feeling an odd sense of pride and satisfaction in that after the conversation they had just had in the room.

Tomomi only huffed in response to Haruna’s words. She turned her back to Haruna even though the older girl wasn’t looking at her before she began to undo the tie that held up her own yukata. She pulled the tie off, setting it on the table and letting out a gentle sigh. She looked back over at Haruna, noticing that the older girl now had her head leaned back against the edge of the spring, her eyes closed. Haruna really did look so peaceful right now.

She smiled, finally letting her yukata slip off her body. She laid it down onto the same table she’d placed the tie on and made her way over to the spring. Making slow movements, she lowered herself down into the water, letting out a content sigh as the warmth wrapped around her body. It felt so nice; it was like being wrapped up in a warm blanket.

Tomomi could feel the water moving around her. She looked over and saw that Haruna had moved herself closer to Tomomi. The older brunette cuddled their bodies together, her head leaning down onto Tomomi’s shoulder. Tomomi smiled sweetly at her, moving her hand submersed in water and wrapping it around Haruna’s waist.

“This feels so nice,” Haruna breathed out. She nuzzled her head against Tomomi’s shoulder before leaning up, placing a few kisses on Tomomi’s chin and returning her head to Tomomi’s shoulder.

“When we have more time, I promise I’ll bring you back to one of these places,” Tomomi said. She could feel Haruna nuzzle her head against her shoulder again, a soft murmur of agreement leaving the older girl beside her. Tomomi looked down at Haruna’s face, smiling when she saw the older girl had let her eyes close. “Don’t fall asleep in here now,” she taunted jokingly.

“Oh be quiet and stop ruining the moment,” Haruna shot back, which only made Tomomi laugh. She tightened her grip around Haruna as much as the water would allow, bringing the two girls together. At this moment, Tomomi felt more content and happier than she had in a long time. She couldn’t think of anything that would make her happier than she was right now.

The two girls may not have much time to spend at this place but Tomomi fully intended to use the time to grow closer to Haruna and strengthen their relationship.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter did require research but it was worth it. Some basic info:
Hakone-machi is a real town in Japan. According to Google Maps, it is about 2 hours away from Tokyo. The hotel Haru and Tomo are staying at is real as well, but only loosely based on the real thing. Out of all the hotels I researched, I liked this one's setting the most.

The last thing is that it is customary in Japan for people to not wear any clothing within a hot spring, nudity at hot springs is not uncommon. Many hot springs ban clothing near their springs, the only exception being things like a yukata (a light summer kimono) which can be used to cover yourself outside of the water if you so desire. Clothing is banned to keep the water cleaner as hot springs are a natural occurrence in Japan. It is also more relaxing....... or so I am told by my friends in Japan who actually have the ability to go to these places.

I hope you liked the chapter~