Status: Active

If Jealousy Could Kill

Chapter 5: Meeting the New Maid

“Rina,” Haruna said in a sing-song voice, poking the sleeping girl’s cheek. “It’s time to wake up.” Rina groaned, rolling away from Haruna and pulling the covers over her head in an attempt to shield herself. Haruna puffed her cheeks out, folding her arms across her chest. “Get up before I resort to drastic measures.”

“You wouldn’t,” Rina said from beneath the covers, her words muffled by the covers over her head. Haruna was a bit of a hypocrite. She hated when people woke her up in a harsh way, or at all for that matter, but she was more than happy to wake others up in the same ways. She found it kind of fun actually.

“Rina! It’s already noon! Who was it that said yesterday that I should try to get up earlier?” Rina only groaned again in response to Haruna’s badgering. She just wanted to sleep. Why couldn’t Haruna just let her sleep? Wait…. Noon? As in 12 pm in the afternoon? Rina shot up with a small shout, the realization hitting her as she grabbed the clock that sat on Haruna’s end table to look at the time. Rina had spent the night in Haruna’s room. But this was how the nights always ended after Rina was forced into a scary movie. After the movie, Rina insisted that Haruna let her sleep in her room for the night; she was too scared to sleep alone in her own room. It was all Haruna’s fault though. She made her go to the movie. It was always Haruna’s fault.

“Why didn’t you wake me sooner?! Why didn’t you set an alarm?!” Rina shouted, throwing the covers off and hopping off the bed. Her classes had started hours ago; she was going to be so late! Her perfectionist side was causing the panic to set in. She couldn’t be late. She couldn’t miss school! It simply wasn’t an option.

“Ne, Rina, what’s the big deal over missing one day?” Haruna leaned back against the wall as she sat on the bed, watching the panicking girl scramble around the room. Haruna was waiting for Rina to remember that she wasn’t in her own room and would not be finding her clothes or school items in here. Rina stopped her actions, turning to Haruna.

“I’ve never missed a day!” Rina had said it like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“Rina, you’re in university now, not high school. One day isn’t going to matter that much to your professors, just stay home with me today. You deserve a break anyway.” Rina sighed softly, hanging her head in defeat. Haruna did this on purpose and there was no way Rina was going to beat her in this. “Rina, come lay down with me for a while.”

Rina didn’t bother to fight Haruna. Maybe she was right, missing one day wouldn’t matter much, would it? She could always apologize to her professors tomorrow and blame it on Haruna if they asked her about it. Rina crawled back onto the bed, crawling into Haruna’s outstretched arms. Haruna wrapped her arms around the young girl, cradling her closely to her chest.

“Are you feeling better from last night?” she asked, rubbing Rina’s back. Rina nodded against Haruna’s chest, wrapping her arms around the older girl’s small torso.

“I’m not scared anymore. Thank you for staying with me last night.”

“Well, it’s the least I could do after you put up with that movie for us.” Haruna laughed softly, Rina would always put up with things she hated to keep her friends happy. It was how she worked. The super sweet side of Rina’s personality was one of the reasons so many people liked her.

“So, Haru, now that you’ve kidnapped me from school for the day, what do you want to do?” Rina’s eyes glanced up at Haruna who seemed to be in thought.

“I don’t know. I didn’t get that far.” Rina let out a disappointed sigh. Of course she hadn’t. She never thinks these things through all the way. Rina really should have expected that one. “I was hoping we could just spend some time like this together.”

“What?” The response was low, spoken in an almost inaudible tone that Rina was sure Haruna hadn’t been able to hear. The young girl was surprised, it had been a while since Haruna had offered to just cuddle and relax with her like this. They used to do it all the time when they were younger but the older they got, the less it seemed to be happening. Rina glanced up at Haruna again, a small smile beginning to play on her face. She snuggled closer to Haruna, her grip on Haruna’s torso tightening. She loved just laying like this with Haruna. She loved just being together with her.

“We used to do this all the time, Rina. We haven’t just been together like this in so long; you’re always busy with school or work.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry, I guess I’ve been busy with work too.” Haruna let out a soft sigh. Things had changed since they were younger; they had less time to just relax together. Haruna had hoped since Rina was almost done with school that they’d have more time together, but she knew that wasn’t going to happen. Not with Rina planning to pursue a career immediately after she graduated.

“Ne, Haru, don’t you have work tonight?” The mention of work had made the thought occur to Rina. Rina knew the answer but at the same time, she didn’t want to admit it. She didn’t want it to be a reality. She needed Haruna to confirm it.

“Yeah.” Rina let out a soft sigh, shifting nervously by Haruna’s side. They could stay like this for a while, but soon Haruna would have to leave for work. She’d be stolen away again. “But I’m yours until then. I’ve turned off both of our phones so we can be alone today. We need a little bonding with each other.”

“Haru, we live together. We’re forced to bond every day.”

“Stop ruining the moment,” Haruna scolded, earning herself a small giggle from Rina. Haruna let her arms go from around Rina, scooting her body down as the two were laying side by side before Haruna draped her arm over Rina’s waist. Rina re-wrapped her arms around Haruna’s waist, snuggling close to her again, gently nuzzling her head against Haruna’s body.

“You’re so soft and cute,” Haruna murmured. Rina could feel the blush coming to her cheeks. Haruna noticed the red tint to Rina’s face and she couldn’t help the laughter that escaped her. Rina was so adorable when she was blushing.

***

“So this is where Haruna works?” Tomomi asked, staring up at the small café building in front of them. The café’s building wasn’t that big, the painting was white and the windows had pink shutters on them. It seemed like a pretty cute place. Rina nodded in response to Tomomi’s question.

“Yup, ready to go in? I’m sure she’ll be ecstatic to see us!”

“Or she’ll want to hit us. Either way works for me,” Mami said shrugging. Mami was the first one to enter the café, pushing open the glass doors and stepping up to the waiting area. The two others followed her into the café, Tomomi’s eyes darting around it quickly. The café really was small and cute. There weren’t too many tables and Tomomi could see two waitresses running around the restaurant, making sure to take care of the minimal amount of customers there. The tables and walls were white, all of the whiteness shining brightly from the lights overhead.

“Hello! Welcome to Ma--…. Oh no.” Haruna’s cheery expression faded as she saw the three of them standing there. Mami smirked at the girl, her hands shoved in her pockets as Rina grinned, waving happily to Haruna. Tomomi’s attention turned in the direction the words had come from, her mouth dropping open when she saw Haruna. Tough girl Haruna stood on a few steps away from them in a black maid outfit with a white lace headband covering her hair that was curled and falling over her shoulders. Her feet adorned black strap shoes with white stockings reaching up her legs.

As Tomomi’s brain came back to her body, she instantly slapped a hand over her mouth, trying to keep her laughs quiet. She didn’t want Haruna to hear her laughing, she was sure the girl would make her pay if she laughed at her in that outfit. Now it all made sense. All of those servant jokes that Mami had been cracking on the way over here all made sense now. She understood why Mami and Rina enjoyed coming to this café so often when Haruna was working.

“Is that anyway to greet your customers?” Mami scolded playfully, continuing to smirk at the brunette. Haruna could feel the heat burning behind her cheeks. It wasn’t like her to feel so embarrassed, but there was something about Tomomi seeing her in this ridiculous uniform that made her embarrassed. Maybe it was just because she wasn’t used to it. Rina and Mami came here to bug her all the time just because they could; she was used to seeing them. But she wasn’t used to seeing Tomomi here.

“Can it, Sasazaki. What are you three doing here?” Mami made a clicking sound with her tongue at Haruna’s retort, shaking her finger in a scolding manner at the feisty brunette.

“Well, Timo here asked me if I knew where you worked so I decided that instead of telling her, I would just show her!” Mami said seeming so proud of herself. Haruna let out a huff of air, clenching the tray she held in her hand tightly. Of course this was all Mami’s idea, that little blonde had a way with trouble. She was always either making it or attracting it. She was just a magnet for it.

“Fine. Come this way,” Haruna said, turning on her heels and walking off without waiting for the reply. Mami and Rina laughed as they followed their embarrassed friend to a free table, Tomomi still too shocked to say anything worthwhile. She never thought she’d see Haruna dressed in something so cutesy. Then again, she never thought she’d see Haruna waiting hand and foot on anyone. As the girls sat down, Haruna leaned close to Tomomi, hissing a threat to her.

“Make one small laugh, Ogawa, and I will make you regret it,” Haruna growled. Tomomi couldn’t help the small laugh that escaped her because of Haruna’s threat. No matter how much she tried to hold it back, Haruna was just encouraging it. There was no way she could take Haruna’s silly threats seriously when she was dressed like that. Really, what was she going to do? Smack Tomomi with a tray? She wasn’t looking very threatening here.

“Thank you, my dear server,” Rina remarked. Haruna hit Rina in the back of the head, earning a melodramatic cry of pain from her. “Stop it!” Haruna didn’t respond, instead setting a small menu in front of each of the girls.

“I’ll be back in a few minutes to take your orders.” Haruna turned on her heels, walking briskly away from her friends and the constant giggles coming from them. You’d think a bunch of 20-something year old people would act a little more mature, but that would be no fun for them. Her friends often came here to harass her at work when they got bored; there was just something about making their friend serve them that made it so much fun. It made for nice payback for all the times Haruna had forced them to serve her.

“So that is really what Haruna has to wear to work every day?” Tomomi asked. She watched the brunette intensely. From afar, she noticed Haruna laughing and joking with another table, no doubt trying to get a good tip out of them. A majority of money from waitressing came from the tips anyway. You had to learn to con them out of your customers.

“Yup! Cute, isn’t it?” Rina beamed. Well, cute was one word you could use to describe Haruna’s outfit. The two girls could hear their blonde friend snicker, mumbling something under her breath that neither girl could make out.

Tomomi shook her head, picking up the menu Haruna had sat in front of her. Opening it, Tomomi saw that the menu didn’t have a large array of items on it, though she guessed that should have been obvious from the small size of the café. Most small ones didn’t have that grand of a selection.

“What do you guys normally get?”

“I like their cheesecake!” Rina said.

“We normally don’t get any real food here, Rina just orders some deserts to chow down on while we enjoy ordering Haruna around for a while,” Mami responded with a devilish smirk on her face. The café was about the only place the girls could order Haruna around at, every other place she’d probably start hitting them if they tried it.

“But you should try the cheesecake,” Rina chimed in again.

“Well since Mami is being of no help, I guess I’m going with the cheesecake,” Tomomi decided, shutting the menu and pushing it to the side of the table where Mami and Rina had sat theirs. The girls waited patiently, watching Haruna dart from table to table before she reluctantly walked back over to her friends’ table.

“Did you guys decide yet?”

“Miss Ono! That is no way to speak to the customer!” Mami scolded. Haruna gritted her teeth, glaring at the blonde. Oh she would pay for this soon.

“What would you like this fine evening?” she said, her voice sounding strained as she forced the nicer phrased question out.

“I’ll take a strawberry smoothie,” Mami responded, grinning widely at Haruna. Haruna huffed out a puff of breath, blowing her bangs to the side as she turned to Rina.

“And you’ll have the cheesecake I assume?”

“Yes, ma’am!” Rina said happily, fake saluting Haruna. Haruna turned her attention to Tomomi who was once again staring intently at her friend. Tomomi was being overcome by a wave of unknown emotions. She didn’t exactly know what to make of Haruna right now.

“What can I get you, Timo?”

“Um… I… Um… I’ll have the cheesecake as well,” Tomomi stuttered out. From beside her, Mami snickered again. Tomomi was making her crush on Haruna far too obvious.

“Your orders will be out momentarily,” Haruna said, bowing to the girls as she would any other customers.

“Oooh, Haru can use big words,” Mami said, she and Rina snickering afterwards. Mami cried out as she felt Haruna’s foot crush her own, her head slamming down onto the table as she groaned in pain. Just when she thought she was safe from Haruna’s wrath. Mami could only be thankful that Haruna didn’t wear heels to work. With a smug smile on her face, Haruna turned on her feet, walking back to the kitchen area to put in the order.

“Don’t you ever learn?” Tomomi asked with an amused expression on her face. Mami lifted her head, flipping her hair back and out of her face in the process.

“The pain is worth it just to see her reactions. She’s got such a short temper.” Tomomi could only shake her head at the blonde’s response. There were just those little qualities of Mami’s that confused even Tomomi, and that took a lot to do. It was only a few minutes before Haruna returned with their food.

“Ne, Haru, when are you getting off work tonight?” Rina asked, clapping happily when Haruna sat her cheesecake in front of her. After setting down the other girls’ orders, she decided to answer.

“Until close, it won’t be for a few more hours at least.” Rina pouted at Haruna’s answer, that’s not the one she wanted. The café didn’t close until 9 pm, and that was still two hours away. Haruna laughed softly at Rina’s reaction, ruffling her hair a bit. “But once I’m done, I’m all yours for the rest of the night.”

“I’ll come pick you up, okay?” Haruna nodded at Rina’s question, although she had said more as a statement than anything. There wasn’t much arguing with Rina when she set her mind to something. She may be a bit on the childish side but when she wanted something, she set her mind to it and didn’t give up until she got what she wanted. With that, Haruna turned on her heels again, walking away from her group of friends to attend to her other customers. She planned to avoid those three for the rest of her shift if she could.

****

Rina waited patiently, rocking back and forth on her heels outside of the café as she waited eagerly for Haruna to get off of work. The café had already closed, but Haruna had to stay a few minutes after to help make sure everything was sorted out and put away correctly. Rina whipped around when she heard the door to the café open, smiling as she saw Haruna and a co-worker come out. Haruna was dressed back into her regular jeans and a t-shirt; she would never be caught wearing that uniform outside of the café. She always made sure to change clothes before and after work.

“See you tomorrow, Haru,” her co-worker said, giving her a wave before walking off to head home. Haruna turned to Rina, giving her a wave.

“Did you wait long?” she asked.

“Not at all!” Rina replied, shaking her head. Haruna hooked her arm with Rina’s, pulling the younger brunette closer to her.

“Well in that case, guess it’s time to head home for a little more bonding before you fall asleep on me.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Maid Haruna.
I couldn't help myself. I had to.