Status: Work In Progress

All Downhill From Here

What're You Hiding?

After Mr. White had showed up, I spent the rest of the day brainstorming as to why he was here for Jesse. Nothing that came to mind seemed like a good reason for that to happen and it was really frustrating to me. I really wanted to know what was going on that I didn’t know about. Why would my old Chemistry teacher come by and ask for Jesse? It was weird.
I walked down the stairs and into the kitchen. I opened the pizza box and pulled out a slice of pepperoni, black olive, and mushroom pizza. I took a couple of bites and sighed, wandering into the living room and grabbing my now warm Coke. I walked back into the kitchen and ate the rest of my pizza slice before throwing the crust on the plate that was on the counter.
I peered around the doorway as I heard the door beginning to unlock. I pursed my lips as I saw Jesse come in and looked down at the pizza box. “Carson?” Jesse called as I heard his keys jingle and then clank against the table. “Kitchen,” I said, loud enough for him to hear me. Soon enough, Jesse walked into the kitchen and looked at me and then to the pizza box, “Oh, hey. Food.” He walked over and reached into the box, grabbing out a slice of pizza and immediately taking a large bite from it.
I stared at him and raised a brow, “You just went out for dinner.” “What’s your point?” he asked with a mouth full of pizza. I chuckled and shrugged, “No point, I guess.” I leaned my hip against the counter to face him and sighed. I debated on asked Jesse what Mr. White was doing here and if he had been keeping in contact with him since high school, but I didn’t want to seem... I don’t know, all up in his business or anything. I mean, although I was dying to know why he had shown up, it honestly wasn’t any of my business. What Jesse did with whoever was his business, not mine.
“So, how was your night?” Jesse asked, pulling me out my thoughts. I shook my head and shrugged, “It was alright, I suppose.” He nodded and threw the pizza crust back into the box. “Did you have fun with Andrea?” I questioned. He nodded at me and smiled, “Yeah, yeah... It was cool.” I nodded and chewed on my bottom lip for a moment before sighing. He looked at me with and odd look and then around me, grabbing my Coke and taking a gulp. “So, guess who stopped by today?” I said.
Jesse shrugged his shoulders and set the can down on the counter and letting out a loud belch. I made a weird face at that and shook my head, slightly chuckling. “I don’t know, who?” he asked, reaching into the pizza box and grabbing another slice of pizza. I pursed my lips for a couple of seconds before wetting my lips with my tongue and saying, “my old chemistry teacher, Mr. White.”
He froze and stared at his pizza continuously, not saying anything. I stared at him and raised a brow at his reaction, or lack there of. He took a slow deep breath and looked over at me slowly. “Oh? Uhm... What did he say?” he questioned, nervousness filling his voice. I shrugged my shoulders for a second and tilted my head slightly, “He just asked if you were home.” He nodded slowly and pursed his lips for a second and set the pizza down on the plate beside him. “What else did he say?” he asked me, sounding a little bit more nervous than he did before.
“That’s all he asked,” I told him, telling the truth for the most part. “Oh... Okay, that’s weird,” he mentioned. “How do you know Mr. White, Jesse?” I questioned, curiously, not intending to poke or prod on the situation. He put the palm of his hand on the back of his neck and shrugged, “He was my chemistry teacher in high school.” “Hm,” I raised my brows at him for a second before nodding, “What a small world.” He chuckled awkwardly and nodded, “Yeah, it is, isn’t it? Heh.” I nodded and sighed, looking over at the almost empty box of pizza, “Well... I’m going to bed now. I’ve got to be up early for that interview.” I pushed off of the counter and then walked out of the kitchen before Jesse stopped me by grabbing my arm.
“Hey, are you... Alright?” Jesse questioned me, giving me concerned eyes. I raised a brow and nodded, “Yeah, of course. Goodnight, Jesse.” I pulled away from him and walked up the stairs and into my room. I really wished I knew what was going on between Jesse and Mr. White, but I knew it wasn’t my business, so I wasn’t going to push any farther on the situation. I changed into some clothes and crawled into bed, in hopes that tonight I would be able to fall asleep and stay asleep throughout the entire night.
All of a sudden my door bust open and Jesse stood in the doorway, looking at me. I lifted my head and looked at him, confused and slightly shocked. “Are you sure that’s all that he wanted?” he questioned. I leaned over and turned on the lamp beside my bed and then looked back at Jesse. “What?” I asked, raising a brow at him. “Is that all Mr. White asked?” he asked me, curiously. I sat up and shrugged my shoulders, “Uh, yeah. That was it.”
“Are you sure that was all that he wanted? Just asked if I was here, huh?” he ran his hand over the top of his head and leaned against the doorway. I nodded, getting annoyed with his questioning about this, “Yes, Jesse. That was it.” “Just came up to the door, asked his question, and left?” his tone was frustrated as if he didn’t believe me. I sighed and rolled my eyes, “Yeah, that was it. That’s all he asked and all he wanted.” He stared at me for a while and took a deep breath. “What’re you hiding from me, Carson?” he furrowed his brows and crossed his arms over his chest.
I brushed my hand through my hair, getting my bangs out of my face and scoffed at his question. “What’re you hiding?” I snapped, raising a brow at him and clinching my jaw. He shifted his weight and shrugged, saying, “What gave you the idea I’m hiding something?” with an annoyed tone now. “Oh, gee, I don’t know, Jesse. Maybe the fact that my and your old chemistry teacher just come knocking on our door. What the hell was that? Why’re you still in touch with the guy?” I inquired, suspiciously, “I know something’s up.”
He fell silent for a little while and began tapping his shoe on the hardwood floor, in which was way of showing he was growing impatient and probably with my lack of true explaining. I grew impatient with him as well and rested my back against the headboard, also crossing my arms over my chest. He was taking a rather long time to say anything, which made me think that he was making up a good enough excuse in his mind to say to me or that he was truly pissed at me and wasn’t going to say anything to me. I sighed and closed my eyes, awaiting his answer, which seemed to be taking longer than it actually was.
“We sometimes hang out,” Jesse finally spoke. I opened my eyes and looked at him, giving him a questioning look. “You go and hang out with some old guy in his mid fifties?” I inquired, not believing his answer. “Yeah, man. I sell him weed, sometimes,” he stated, “And besides, he's not even fifty, yet.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Recommend, subscribe, and comment, please? Pleaseeee? c: