Status: In Progress

Each Moment, Only Once

Chapter One

Songbirds sang happily, hidden in the high dense branches of the tree tops while butterflies danced in the warm breeze and flowers bloomed all across the rich green countryside. It was a picture perfect setting, apart from for the somnolent cries of battle and the black smoke bellowing from a burning castle. Crimson stained the ground in deep puddles, almost always next to a prone corpse as the battle raged on with more fervor.

Atop a grassy knoll some miles away from the battle sat a lone rider, straddled across the back of a fiery chestnut gelding. The battle was watched with guarded, yet sad eyes. It wasn’t the first time the shadowed rider had seen bloodshed and death, but as with every loss of life the rider couldn’t not help but grieve. For every soul lost had someone who would cry upon hearing of their passing, someone who loved them, needed them but could no longer hold them.

The gelding snuffled loudly and stomped his flashy white legs in impatience. The rider effortlessly soothed the restless horse with kindly whispered words and gentle pats to his lean neck. The rider’s features were hidden by the shadows of the great flowering boughs of a Sakura tree, but from the rider’s wardrobe, a dark blue yukata with white lotus flowers in full bloom printed all over it in a celebratory fashion the gender could easily be discerned to be female. When the chestnut gelding snorted in annoyance and pulled against his reins, the rider spoke.

“Calm yourself Kasei, it will be over shortly.” The voice was distinctly feminine and with a gentle nudge to the gelding’s flanks, the horse moved out of the shadows and into the light, unveiling the rider’s features.

She was a young woman barely into her twenties with a soft round face, framed by long dark toffee-blonde hair held back by a loose band and striking teal eyes, which held a sadness and insight that only those who have seen too much would have. True to her previously spoken words, the gory battle quickly came to an end with a joyous war cry.

The victor, Takeda Shingen was a daimyo of impressive stature and military prestige. His soldiers were clothed in red and black armor, not so dissimilar to the drying crimson spilt upon the ground. One of the many weary yet smiling foot soldiers waved his arm in the air and the young woman quickly nudged the fidgeting gelding into a speedy trot towards the soldier.

“Are there many injured?” She inquired with a frown as she pulled the gelding to a stop beside the man.

“Yes, I’m afraid so Kaito-san.” The man nodded solemnly. “From what I can tell there aren’t many that are fatally wounded, which surely is a blessing. They are being moved over there.” The blood-splattered man pointed towards a now crowded knoll.

“Thank you, please do look after yourself.” The woman told him with a small, kind smile before she prodded the gelding towards the cluster of wounded soldiers. Upon arrival a young boy, no older than thirteen at the most, ran up to the young woman and took the reins of her horse as she slid out of the saddle. The young woman gave the boy a familiar smile and he grinned back.

“Don’t worry Yua-nee I’ll take good care of Kasei while you’re busy.” The boy said as he pat the chestnut gelding on his pink nose.

“Thank you, Kenta-kun.” Yua told the cheerful boy as she passed him to tend to the wounded.

The first man she came to had a severely injured left arm. A deep ridged gash lay open and gushing crimson for almost the whole length of his arm, the depth was great, as the white bone beneath could be seen. The raggedly breathing man groaned and trembled when Yua grazed the tender flesh with her fingertips in examination. With a sparse glance at the man’s sweat drenched and pain crinkled face Yua quickly got to work on saving his mutilated appendage before infection set in or amputation was necessary.

Hours later, Yua wiped her sweaty brow with the sleeve of her yukata and stood from her last patient, a young soldier with a nonfatal head wound. Her once clean clothing and skin was now stained with dirt, blood and sweat, among other things she was too tired to acknowledge. Indifferent of her appearance, Yua collapsed to the ground beneath the welcoming shade of a nearby tree. Her heavy eyelids quickly closed in a much needed moment of rest.

There had only been twenty soldiers injured during the battle and even though most of them hadn’t had seriously fatal injuries, the others had. One of the soldiers had lost an ear and three fingers on his left hand, while another had to have one of his legs partially amputated. She could still hear his sobbing screams and the snap of the bone as the head physician finished sawing off his now useless appendage.

Unfortunately she was quickly disturbed from her peace by a familiar loudly exuberant voice calling her name. With a heavy sigh, Yua cracked open her heavy eyelids to gaze at the stern faced, yet clearly excited young male before her.

“Did you see the battle Yua-san?” He asked deafeningly and Yua visibly winced at his tone. Her eyes narrowed slightly in irritation and pain at her on coming headache before she forced her tired body to stand to its full height. Her chin just barely reached the top of his red clothed shoulders.

“Yes, I saw. Congratulations on your victory Sanada-danna.” She said indifferently with a customary polite bow, before she passed him, her gaze downcast and very different from her usual positive mannerisms.

Yukimura frowned and attempted to reach-out to her in order to apologize, but the sudden presence of his leader Takeda Shingen stopped him.

“Leave her be, Yukimura. No matter how many times she witnesses battle, her reaction to the aftermath will always be the same. She will be back to her normal self by tomorrow morning, if not sooner.” The intimidating daimyo told the young warrior firmly his arms crossed over his broad chest.

“Hai, Oyakata-sama!” The russet haired male shouted enthusiastically, before he started to guide his wayward soldiers to their proper place.

The burly daimyo quirked a small smile as he watched his future successor race down the hill towards the resting soldiers, but frowned when his gaze turned to watch the young healer slowly amble back towards the injured soldiers, lost in her own private thoughts and swamped by her conflicting emotions.

Yua was bent over a hand basin full of freshly drawn water, washing the filth from her skin. Her yukata was ruined and could not be saved, but she didn’t mind. It was only fancy dyed cotton and held no true value. She had others, although it had been one of her favorites, she could still easily let it go. It was after all for the sake of others in need and in her mind there was no greater cause.

Yua was the only female healer in the Provence of Kai that was sent onto battlefields with the soldiers and the head physician, as she was a competent warrior herself, though not to the extent of Takeda Shingen or her danna, Sanada Yukimura. She was both a healer for the people of Kai and a retainer of the young, spirited future-general Sanada Yukimura, even though she usually cleaned up his messes.

In many respects she was more like a glorified babysitter. However even she had to admit that they had a closer relationship than that of master and servant, due to the many years of being together. Their relationship was akin to that of squabbling siblings on most days.

“Hmm, lost in deep thought are we Yua-chan?” A teasing voice asked startling the young healer. Yua gasped and spun around on her heal an iron fan held out defensively in front of her, only to face a grinning shinobi.

“Sarutobi Sasuke you insufferable lout, don’t ever do that again!” She scolded him, breathing heavily. With a quick snap of her wrist the tessen disappeared back up her yukata sleeve and out of sight.

“But its entertaining Yua-chan, your reactions never get old.” He responded still grinning cheekily. Teal eyes narrowed, before Yua turned her back to the shinobi and began to wash off with more force than was necessary.

Sasuke’s grin widened at her act of giving him the cold shoulder and the silent treatment. It wasn’t unusual, for the wily shinobi was always teasing the healer while not on duty. Her facial expressions and actions were amusing to see firsthand. However she was more embarrassed than angry, otherwise she would have attempted to smack him with her tessen.

“This is from Oyakata-sama.” The green clothed shinobi told the young woman after a few moments of silence and held out a square package.

Yua turned, with a dry cloth in her hands and examined the neatly wrapped package with a questioning gaze. Her eyes flickered from the package to the man holding it out to her like a peace offering. Hesitantly she took the package and carefully began to unwrap it. The contents made a thankful smile curve upon her lips.

“This is also for you.” Sasuke said and pulled out a neatly folded and unwrinkled obi that matched the clean yukata in the package.

“Arigato gozaimasu, Sasuke-san,” Yua smiled and bowed, the new, clean yukata held delicately in her hands. “Please give Takeda-sama my gratitude as well.”

Sasuke nodded his head and disappeared now that the first part of his job was over. He had only to report Yua’s condition to Oyakata-sama, before his next duty began. Yua placed the obi into the package and retied it, before she dumped out the dirty water and headed back towards the injured soldiers.
♠ ♠ ♠
Disclaimer: Characters and other recognizable things in this story belong to their respective copyright holders. The only things that I own are the original characters and plot of this story. I am making no money from writing this fan work. No copyright infringement is intended.