Autumn's Leaves

New Beginnings

Change is a season all its own. It is fleeting like the winter snow when the sun first comes out. It is always blossoming like a spring time flower. It is always changing and falling away like an autumn leaf. It is always there, like the summer sun, many times it makes its presence known. Change is but a season.

-Autumn Imogen Marshall

~*~

“Come on, Charlie!” I called through bits of dissipating laughter. I had just found the flower he had left for me on our kitchen table. When I picked it up, it transformed into a rubber duck. I laughed squeaking it. “Come on!” I yelled again, smiling even more.

Charlie came down the stairs, with a large duffle bag thrown over his large shoulder. He beamed at me, greeting me with a peck on the lips. “I take it that you found the flower then, darling?”
I wrapped my arms around his waist, burying my face in his chest. I smiled a little more, savoring his pet name for me.

“So this is everything!” my brother, Todd, exclaimed throwing his hands in the air like he had just won the lottery. Mum and I exchanged a glance before staring at my brother. “What do you think?” He asked with a large grin.

Mum brought Maisy closer to her body. She was afraid to set the squirming one-year-old on the ground. Mum swallowed, “Well, darling, it’s…it’s…not what I expected,” she said trying to muster up a smile.

Todd grinned taking Maisy from Mum. “I know it’s great, isn’t it!”

“Oh, yes, it is, dear.”

Todd turned his head quickly, so he was facing me. Maisy had calmed down and started chewing on Todd’s sweatshirt string. “What do you think, Autumn?”

Mum gave me a pleading look. We all knew what Mum thought mattered to Todd. When Mum gave him advice, or told him what she thought, Todd would always mull it over. I was different. Todd was my twin brother. He usually sought my advice, or thoughts, more than Mum’s. Usually, he took what I said to heart.

I smiled when I remembered that working with dragons was Todd’s dream. If I told him what I really thought, it would crush him.

Todd’s smile was starting to falter some. I rubbed my chin like I had a beard. “Well, it’s not what I thought it would be like.”

His lips turned into a firm frown. I could see the hurt gleaming in his brother’s eyes. “Why do you say that?” he asked kissing the top of Maisy’s head.

I couldn’t be serious with my brother anymore. A really big smile broke my face. My brother seemed confused. “Because,” I paused, “I thought you would have dragons everywhere.”
Todd smiled wrapping me in a one armed hug. His arm never left my shoulder as we made our way to his tent. We were about to head inside, when someone pushed their way out.

“Watch where you’re going, Weasley!” Todd shouted gleefully.

Weasley looked up and grinned, taking in my Mum, Maiy, and then me. He gave me a subtle once over, but stopped when he reached my face. I could see his face turn an even darker shade of red, even despite his sun burn. His blue eyes meant mine for a moment before he turned to my brother. He had freckly skin and shaggy ginger hair. I wanted to run to the nearest loo and check my hair. I shook my head doing my best to ignore the butterflies that had formulated in my stomach.

“…and this, Charlie, is my lovely baby sister Autumn. Autumn, this is my tent-mate, and perhaps my best friend besides you,” Todd said giving me a quick wink, “Charlie Weasley.”

Charlie held his hand out for me to shake. “Well, hello, darling!” I ignored it


He had never, ever called me Autumn. It was either Autumn or my darling Autumn.

“What are you thinking about, darling?” he murmured in my ear.

I lifted my chin up so I could give him a slight peck. “The first time we met. It was months, before I realized you knew my name.”

He grinned kissing me again. “But it got me you,” he whispered rubbing a callused thumb on my cheek.

“I’m going to miss you,” I murmured kissing his thumb.

“Are you sure you want to do this, darling? You don’t have to.”

I gave him a weak smile. “You and I both know I need to.”

He nodded before backing up. He went into the kitchen to get my trunk.

It was six months after the Second War ended. It had been six months that my mum had been taking care of Maisy by herself. It had been six months of sadness mixed with rare minimal laughter. It had been six months since my seasons started to change. Even though it had been six months, it never felt like things got better. In Mum’s owls, she kept telling me how difficult things were for her at the bakery. Two weeks prior Mum left for Aruba on a cruise with Maisy, I quit my job as a Dragonologist in Romania. Charlie had a few days holiday, which we were going to spend with his family in England. At the end of the week, I’d move into a flat near Mum and Maisy in London.

Charlie came bumbling into the hall, where I was still standing at the foot of the stairs. I squeaked the purple and orange duck again. Charlie sullenly wrapped his arm around my waist. With a pop we were being pulled through the tube. Little did I know that would be the second to last time I would see/set foot in our home.

I couldn’t breathe when we were in the little tube. Emerging at the other end is like, emerging from water after you’ve run out of air. I gasped as I fell onto the cool ground in front of a large rickety house. A large callused hand was in front of me. “Sorry, darling,” he murmured helping me stand.
He helped me brush dried leaves and dirt off my light pink sweatshirt. “It’s alright, Charlie.”
He handed me my small carry along bag and grabbed our stuff again. We set off up the steps to a small porch.

I nervously shifted my weight from one foot to another. My stomach was finally starting to explode with butterflies. Charlie and I had been dating for nearly two years. In that time, I had only meant Bill and Fleur, when they unexpectedly dropped by. I knew his family was really big, but I never met any of the others. My stomach twisted into knots. Charlie was about to open the door when I grabbed his hand.

“What’s wrong, darling?” he asked concernedly. “Did your hurt yourself when you landed? Was it your-.”

I shook my head sucking on my teeth. I swallowed hard. I kept shifting my weight as we stood in silence for another few seconds. “W-what if-what if they don’t like me?” I asked shyly.

I pushed my hands into the pocket of my hoodie. Perhaps, I should have worn a dress or a skirt. At least, for Merlin’s sake, a nicer top. I groaned, really starting to feel self-conscious.

Charlie, being the oh so lovely boyfriend, did not give me any reassurance. Most boyfriends, would give their girlfriends some encouraging words. “Oh don’t worry, honey, they’ll absolutely love you. I know it.” Or “Honey, even if they don’t love you, I do.” Something of that nature.

Loud echoing laughter bounced off random pieces of the empty yard. I snapped my head up to glare at him. “Thanks for the wonderful support,” I muttered sarcastically.

“It-it’s not that, dar-darling,” he gasped. “It’s just y-you were so con-confident be-fore we left the house!” he laughed even more. I could see tears welling up in his eyes, he was laughing that hard. He had dropped my trunk some time ago and was holding his stomach. “N-now you’re wo-worried what they t-think of you? The-they’ll love you!”

I didn’t have time to respond because the door was pulled open. A plump woman with dark red hair, like Charlie’s, was standing in the door. Her eyes were a dark chocolaty brown with a friendly gleam to them. She rushed forward to give Charlie a large bear hug. She pulled away quickly to give him a once over. “I’m glad you’re home, Charlie! Oh my, you aren’t stick thin like you were last time I saw you! You look healthy for a change!” she beamed.

I stood uncomfortably by the railing. Charlie chuckled again. “Good to see you, too, Mum. Mum, this is the lovely woman you have to thank for that,” he beamed proudly turning her around to face me. “Mum, this is my darling Autumn. Darling, this is my mum.”

“It’s nice to meet you, Mrs. Weasley,” I murmured softly.

I was taken aback when she rushed forwards to give me a hug. She was so quick; I almost fell over the banister into the rose bush.

“Autumn that’s a very pretty name.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Weasley.”

“Molly, pleased call me Molly, dear.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Come inside before you both catch your death of a cold.” She instructed gently pulling me by the wrist.

Charlie managed to juggle our things and shut the door behind him. “Autumn, you’re thin, but don’t worry,” she patted my shoulder, “we’ll fix you up just fine.”

Charlie came over to me and grinned. “Mum, she’s only staying a few days.”

Molly waved her hand around, dismissing that tiny detail. “I can still fix that. Would you like some tea, dear?”

“Yes, Mum, I would. Darling, would you take these things up to our room while I have tea with her?” Charlie asked fluttering his eyelashes.

“I wasn’t talking to you, Charlie, I was talking to Autumn. I want to get to know her.”
Charlie sighed, “alright, I’ll take our things to our room.” He grabbed my trunk and started walking everything up the stairs.

Molly walked over to the bottom. “Autumn is staying in Ginny’s room with Ginny and Hermione!” she yelled up at her son. Molly turned to me, shaking her head. “Why don’t you sit down, dear?”
“Is there anything I can do to help?”

She shook her head, going over to a caldron on the fireplace. A small spark jumped out of her wand soon becoming a roaring fire. The warmth slowly seeped through my sweatshirt unthawing my chilled bones. I could smell the strong mint that Molly slipped into the tea.

Piping hot steam rose up from the warm liquid. I loved how she got the mint so strong, but not overwhelming. It warmed my mouth and every part of me as it went down. I kept my icy hands wrapped around the cup.

“Charlie told me that you worked with dragons as well?” Molly asked and I nodded, swallowing a sip I had just taken.

“Yes, I did.”

“What did you do?” Molly took a sip of her tea.

“I was a doctor for dragons,” I gave her a weak smile.

“Really?” she asked with wide eyes. “How old are you?”

“I turn nineteen next month.”

Her eyes widened even more. “You’re much younger than Charlie, aren’t you?” she almost screeched.

I shrugged. “Just a bit,” I murmured shifting uncomfortably in my seat.

“Oh don’t worry, dear, I’m just surprised is all! I wasn’t expecting you to be George’s age. I apologize for making you uncomfortable.”

“It’s alright.”

Someone burst through the back door. “Hi, Mum, have Charlie and Autumn made it yet?” a deep voice called.

I could hear two sets of footfalls come into the living room, where I was sitting with Molly. “Yes, dear, we’re in the living room!”

The two people moved a little bit quicker. “Don’t move so much, Fleur,” Bill commanded his wife.
I perked up, a large smile blooming across my face. I stood up to greet the two that had appeared in the doorway.

Fleur had just a large smile on her beautiful face. Her long blonde hair was pulled back into a knot on the nape of her neck. Her silver eyes gleamed. Her pale complexion was flawless and glowed with pregnancy. I looked down at her stomach. The last time I had seen her, she was a rail. Then, her stomach had grown into a little bump.

“Audum,” Fleur greeted me with a big hug.

I pulled away to see the large stomach that stood between us. My eyes widened and my mouth quirked up into a smile. “Why didn’t you tell me you were pregnant? You look radiant, Fleur!”
“Zank you,” she grinned. “We are ‘aving a girl.”

“Yup, more Weasleys,” Bill grinned, wrapping me in a one armed hug. “How are you doing, Autumn?”

“Good thanks. Congratulations to you both! Congratulations to you, too, Molly!”
Molly smiled for a second but it fell. “Yeah, Mum, Charlie will be the next to give you grandkids,” he said with a wink. I swatted his arm away.

“How long have you been seeing Charlie, Autumn?” Molly asked with pursed lips.

I did the calculations in my head. “Almost a year and a half.”

“Mum, remember when we went to Romania last fall?” Bill asked sitting down next to his wife.

Molly nodded. “I told you Charlie had a girlfriend moving in with him, that was Autumn.”

“Charlie didn’t tell you about us?” I asked narrowing my eyes.

“No, dear, he didn’t. He just said his girlfriend was staying here, with us, for a few days.”
I shook my head. Leave it to Charlie. I thought to myself. The least he could do was tell his parents. Really makes me feel like he wants me. I scowled.

There was clomping down the stairs. The person sounded like a herd of elephants as they came running. I turned my head to see a family of redheads and a boy and girl with brown hair. I examined them very quickly, my eyes landing on the devil himself. He was laughing at something one of his brothers had said. When he saw his mother and me glaring at him, he stopped.

“Why do I have a feeling that I’m in trouble?” he asked thoughtfully.

“De ce nu mi-ai spus mamei tale despre noi?” Why didn’t you tell your mother about us? I asked him in Romanian. I could feel my face flushing. I did my best to keep my voice even. My stomach was churning with each second he didn’t answer. Charlie realized I was getting angry.
“Darling, Te-Am vrut sa fie o surpriza,” he retorted. I wanted you to be a surprise. His smile fell and he came forwards to give me a hug.

I glared at his chest. “Cred ca EU sunt.” I concluded. I guess I am. I pulled away and took a seat next to Fleur.

“I guess someone’s in trouble,” Bill sniggered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for any errors