Status: In progress

Difference Between Real Love and the Love on TV

Eleven.

Masey doesn't see Pete for three days. On the third day she discovers he's in the hospital after he swallowed all of his Ativan. She tries to suppress her sobs on the drive to the hospital, where she'll have to confront Mrs. Wentz and tell her about their fight, and that she's the reason Pete did this--because she upset him. She can't help but feel an overwhelming sense of responsibility and guilt for all of this. If she and Pete had never fought they never would have had to been in this position. She hates herself for it, she really does.

As she enters the room, her eyes immediately fall on Pete, who's sitting up in bed, eyes closed. She can't tell whether or not he's sleeping, but he looks tired. Masey pulls up a chair beside the bed and takes hold of Pete's hand in hers. "I'm so sorry, Pete. I never would have wanted this to happen to you," her voice comes in a choked out whisper. "This is all my fault."

Pete opens his eyes, squeezing Masey's hand. "Hi," he sighs with a small smile. "How are you?"

"Pretty shitty," she mutters, looking up at him.

"And why's that?"

"Because I'm the reason the boy I really love is in the hospital," she has butterflies when she says this. She's never told Pete that she loves him, but she figures now is as good a time as any.

"I don't think it's your fault. Sometimes people just feel kinda broken."

"Oh, Pete," she cries, "I'm so sorry this happened to you. I wish I was there for you, that I could've helped you. But all I did was make things worse for you, and here we are now."

"Honey, I had a lot of problems that I wasn't telling you. I couldn't even function. When you told me you pushed back the recording I was so angry because it put it all into perspective. You were all finally seeing what was wrong with me," Pete's eyes are tearing up. "I'm just sorry I had to put you through this."

"Pete, I'm just worried about you. I love you and I don't want anything to happen to you because you're my best friend." Masey leans over to kiss Pete's forehead. "Okay?" Pete's hand is resting on the back of her neck, holding her face in front of him.

"Yeah, Masey. I'll get to leave later today or tomorrow. I start intensive therapy as soon as I'm out of here."

"I'm so proud of you, Pete, okay? You've come so far, and you're still fighting the good fight. I believe in you."

"I love you, Masey," he tells her, his tired eyes boring into hers.

She smiles, relieved. "Yeah, I love you too."

The rest of the time Masey spends with Pete they watch TV and talk, but soon enough visiting hours are over and she has to leave Pete because they get the news that he won't be discharged until the next morning. "I'll see you tomorrow when you get home, all right?" Masey asks, gripping Pete's hand in hers.

"Yeah, honey. I'll see you tomorrow." They share a quick kiss before Masey gathers her things. "I love you, Mase," Pete murmurs.

"I love you too, Pete. I'll see you tomorrow."

When Pete returns home the next afternoon all he wants to do is sleep. He calls Masey and tells her to come over and keep him company, and it's only ten minutes before she's climbing the stairs to his bedroom. "Hey," she says quietly, standing in the doorway. Pete's lying in bed, a pillow over his head.

"Hi, baby," Pete sits up to look at her. "How's it going?"

"Good," she shrugs, crossing the room to sit on the edge of the bed. "You doing okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." Pete nods. "I'm just tired. Lie down with me?" He scoots over and lifts up the covers for Masey to crawl under with him. She snuggles up to him, resting her head in the crook of his neck. "I'm sorry I made you upset, Pete."

"I'm sorry I got angry at you," he counters, holding her frame closer to him. "But everything is going to be okay now." They remain in silence until the light outside fades, and Masey is pretty sure Pete's asleep when his mom calls them for dinner.

"Hey, Pete, dinner's ready," Masey tells him, rubbing his shoulder. His eyes open sleepily and he stares at her in the darkness with a smile.

"Hi," he sighs, taking her hand in his.

"Come on, dinner," she says again, sitting up. Pete whines about being tired, but gets up regardless and follows Masey downstairs. They sit with his family at the dinner table, and everyone is quiet. There's a weird edge now, and Pete's frustrated by this, scraping at his half-eaten food. He pushes his chair from the table and stands.

"I'm not hungry," he says, pushing his chair in. "I'm going back upstairs." Pete's parents try to stop him and Masey gives him a questioning look but Pete just shrugs before leaving the room. Everyone continues to eat in silence.

"Do you think he's all right?" Mrs. Wentz asks Masey quietly as they clear the table.

"I think he's just upset. He doesn't want everyone to tiptoe around what happened, I think." Masey studies Mrs. Wentz's worried face, a reflection of Pete.

"I just had no idea. He doesn't say anything and I don't know what to do now because I just want him to feel all right."

"I know, I'll keep an eye on him. I was just really surprised he didn't say anything to me. We did get into a fight a few days ago, and I can't help but think that had something to do with it," Masey confesses. "But he says he's been going downhill for a while. The boys and I noticed this, so we thought it would be a good idea to push their recording back. When I told him he was furious."

"I'm sure if he said he's been this way for a long time, and you began to notice it, then this wasn't something that was your fault, honey," Mrs. Wentz tells her. "Maybe you should go upstairs and just check on him."

"Yeah, I will," Masey agrees, putting the last of the dishes in the the dishwasher before making her way up to Pete's room. When she enters it's complete darkness save for the lamp on the desk, where Pete is sitting, scribbling furiously in his notebook. Masey wraps her arms around him from behind, pressing her face against his hair. "Hi," she says quietly. She feels his tense muscles relax under her touch.

"Hi, baby," Pete turns around to look at her. "I'm sorry I just kind of left you down there."

"It's okay, Pete. I just want to make sure you're feeling all right. What's the matter?"

"Nothing. It's just really weird now. My family is acting all weird around me like I'm broken and I just want them to treat me like a normal human being," Pete lets out, frustrated.

"I know, Pete. I told your mom that you don't want them to tiptoe around what happened. She just says she doesn't know what to do for you to make you feel better."

"She doesn't need to do anything. Nobody does. This is shit I need to figure out alone." He stands up and crosses the room, sitting on the edge of one of his twin beds. Masey follows suit, sitting by his side.

"I just want you to know I'm here for you, okay? You're my best friend, I don't want anything to happen to you. You have such a life ahead of you, Pete. I really believe in you." Pete kisses her full on the lips then, fingers skimming just under her shirt.

"I know, baby. I'm going to try really hard, okay? For you and myself." He begins kissing her again, his hand traveling up her back, fingers tracing around the outline of her bra. She knows where this is going to go, and she has nervous anticipation bubbling up in her stomach as Pete pushes her back on the bed. They don't say anything, carefully studying each others' expressions as their clothing items begin making their way to the floor, one by one. There's something different about the way Pete's kissing her as he rocks into her, slowly at first before building up. She feels like she could scream. His calloused fingers run over the soft skin of her breasts, his lips kiss hungrily along her neck. He wants every part of her.

"Oh my God," he breathes, falling to Masey's side. "It feels like we haven't had sex in forever. Can we make this a daily thing?" He laughs, running his fingers along Masey's hip.

She giggles, resting her head against his shoulder. "I dunno, Pete. Maybe," she sings, pressing her lips to his chest. "Go to sleep," she yawns, pulling on her sweatpants from the floor and Pete's t-shirt. Pete breathes a long sigh, holding Masey closer to him.

"I don't know what I'd do without you, Mase. You're my everything." With that they settle into a silence, and Pete's lulled to sleep for the first time in weeks by Masey's body next to him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Holy shit it's been a while, huh? I don't know why but I got some motivation to move this story forward, haha. Who knows where it's going to go.