The Correlation Between Peppermint and Eyeliner

Dark Day Part Two

Suspensed, much? This is the second part. It's a lot shorter, as you can tell. But I had to break it here.

CHAPTER 21
Part 2

Billie stayed quiet as she walked over to the bed. She picked up the Polaroid picture on her way and handed it to him. Sitting down beside him, she felt the nervous and fear gather up inside of her gut.
Billie looked at her in slight puzzlement when she bit her lip and closed her eyes, preparing herself for what was going to be said.
“What happened to it?” he asked quietly, hoping not to offend her.
She looked down at her lap. “I sold it.” She whispered. She slowly looked up at him with tears building up again. “For a fix.”
He stared at her eyes that seemed to be on the verge of breaking down any second, soaking in her words.
“A fix?” he asked, the meaning not quite drumming in yet. He thought for a moment, then it hit him.
“Oh. A fix…” he was a bit scared now, knowing that the fix she was referring to was an addiction.
She nodded and closed her eyes. “I used…” she took in a shaky breath. “I used to be a cocaine addict.”
Tears swelled behind her eyelids, and she felt them coming down her cheek. He pulled her up to his chest, resting her head on his shoulder. She let out a short sob. Then she looked at him.
“I’m clean now.” She nodded and sniffed. “For about a year now.”
He hugged her tight again as she cried some more.
“Today’s the day I gave it up.” she pointed to the picture of her guitar. “Today’s the day I sold my dream away.”
She pulled away from him and wiped her tears. “I’m sorry.”
He shook his head. “You don’t have to be sorry.” He smiled, to cover up that he was almost crying himself. He couldn’t take seeing her like this. It tore his heart up.
She leaned over and fell into his arms again.
Maybe he understood after all.

*Mwaaaahaaaahaaaa! I had that planned since the beginning!