Status: currently active

Swaying in the Summer Breeze

chapter one.

I unlocked the door to open up my shop, just like I do five days a week. I've been cutting hair for quite a few years now. I think it's the only thing I'm good at besides eating and sleeping. I did own The Sapphire Salon in Scranton, Pennsylvania before I moved down here to Los Angeles.

A lot of people in Pennsylvania recommended me, and I guess word got around that I was pretty good at what I do. Professionals down here offered me a better salon with a better paycheck at the end of the week. Sounded good to me, so I packed up my stuff and got the soonest flight down here. Los Angeles, California is where I currently reside, and I couldn't love it more. It is such a beautiful place with such lovely beaches. And who doesn't love the beach?

This normal day, however, was far from the normal I expect everyday. But it just so happens, that it's a day that I'll surely never forget.

Just as I finished setting up my station, I looked up at the sound of the front door being open. I simply sighed at who I saw finally trotting in. "You're late. Again." I began, slowly getting frustrated that Luna was late to every shift she worked. Which was only every other day.

"Yeah, Sumer, I realize that. It won't happen-"

"Don't even begin with that, Luna. You say it every time you come in." I gave her a menacing look.

"Look, I promise this time. Okay? I promise." She pleaded, opening her arms to give me a hug.

I sighed in defeat and hugged her back. It's hard to stay mad at your best friend. "Okay, I'm trusting you! But this is your last chance, missy!" I warned her with a smirk growing on my face.

She pulled away and nodded before she began setting up her station for the day. I strutted over to my iHome, pressing play on the last thing that I was listening to. Soon enough, Chris Motionless' sweet voice filled the shop. Luna shot me a wide grin and I winked at her. Motionless In White has always undeniably been her favorite band.

-

I snipped the last few hairs off of my last client before our lunch break. I combed out her hair and dried what was left wet. I moved out from in front of her so she could get a good look in the mirror and decide if she liked the pixie haircut I had just given her.

She grabbed on the ends of her hair and ran her hand through it several times before commenting. "I absolutely love it!" Zena squealed. "I didn't know if short hair would be a good look for me, but this looks amazing! You did awesome! Thank you, Sumer."

"Not a problem at all, I'm glad you like it." I smiled, giving her a hug.

She picked up her purse and paid before walking out the door, very satisfied. I put a sign up on the door saying that we were going on lunch, and that we'd be back within an hour. "Ready for some food?" I asked Luna. I could practically see her stomach growl as she nodded eagerly.

We walked across the street to our favorite Chinese place, Yami. The waiter greeted us nicely before asking our drink orders. He led us to our table before walking off to get our drinks. After he came back, we went ahead to the buffet to pile our plates mile high. Boy, were we hungry.

"So.." Luna trailed off, plopping down in her seat right across from me. "You've been here two months now, and still no boy toy?"

"Luna! You're right, I've only been here two months. Only two months. That's not a lot of time. It's not like I wouldn't like one, but I feel like I wouldn't have time for him, you know? I'm always working, and when I'm not, I'm sleeping. That doesn't leave room for a relationship right now." I explained, taking large bites of my food.

"All I'm saying is I figured you would have had a boyfriend by now. I mean, look at you! You're freaking hot!" I rolled my eyes at her remark. "I'm sure you could fit some time in your life for a boyfriend if you really tried. It's not that hard, Sway." I smiled as she used the nickname she gave me when I moved here. She took a sip of her Coke before continuing. "I make time for Skylar."

"But you also don't work full time like I do. And Sky is probably the reason you're always late! You're probably up fucking him all night!" I joked.

"Hey!" Luna faked offense. "I've only been late because that like two ti- maybe three times!" She said, producing her devilish grin.

"Well, either way, it's happened." I took a bite out of my egg roll.

"I think a guy would be good for you anyways. It could take your mind off of work all that. Maybe even relieve some stress. At least get laid, man." She laughed. In the meantime, I was over here choking on my noodles.

I smacked her arm, "dude! Beating the hell out of you would relieve some stress."

All she could do was laugh. We ate the rest of our food in silence. I shot her an occasional glare throughout the rest of our meal, which only caused her to giggle. When we were done, she paid for both of ours and we walked back to the shop.

As soon as I unlocked the door, Luna darted to my iHome, plugging up her phone. Soon, Asking Alexandria filled the building and I let out a groan.

"Really?" I gave her an 'are you serious?' look.

"You know you secretly love them! You just won't admit it, loser." She stuck her tongue out at me like a minuscule child.

"I will rip your tongue out." I threatened. That got her to shove it back it her mouth where it belongs.

As one of her clients came in, I found myself whispering the lyrics to 'Killing You' as the boomed through the speaker. Well I guess they're not that bad. And the singer is pretty handsome. My head shot up when the door opened. I spotted the most handsome man I have ever laid eyes on step through the door. An adorable little blonde girl came out from behind him.

"Hey, welcome to Darkest Cuts." I smiled at the cute man in front of me, and he returned the gesture as I looked into his warm, brown eyes.

"Hello." He said cheerfully. "I was wondering if you could trim up my baby's hair." He ruffled the little girl's hair. She made it clear that it annoyed her, which cause the man to chuckle with amusement. "She's been wanting it done for a long time now. I hope you're not to busy."

"No, not at all. Right this way.. Uhm.." I trailed off since they hadn't mentioned their names.

"Craig. My name's Craig." He offered a warm smile. "And this is my beautiful daughter, Leila." His eyes instantly brightened at her giggle.

"Come one, Leila." I took hold of her hand with a small smile and led her to over to my station as Craig took a seat in the chair near her. I placed the cover on her small body and fastened it around her neck. "Okay, so how do you want it done, sweetie?" My eyes transferred from her to Craig.

"Just trim her bangs a little and can you layer it for her?" He replied.

"Yeah, no problem." I nodded.

"Pink!" Leila exclaimed. I chuckled a bit before opening my mouth the speak.

"Pink?" I questioned her dad, slightly amused.

"Okay, okay, Leila, you can have pink if that makes you happy." She smiled so wide I thought her cheeks would burst. "Could you put one pink streak in her hair?" He put emphasis on one.

"Of course. Where would you like it, Leila?" I looked down at her.

"Right here!" She tugged on a piece of hair on her left side.

I nodded and started cutting away. I acknowledged the song playing that I hadn't previously. I starting humming along to Saosin as I kept my eyes and hands glued to the little girl's hair.

"Good band." I heard Craig say. I hummed in agreement, not taking my eyes away from Leila.

"So, what made you want to come all the way down to California? I hear you're from Pennsylvania. That's a long way from here." He tried to make small talk. I could just feel Luna looking at me with her signature smirk that I knew all too well.

"Well, I moved down here because I was offered a better job opportunity with better pay." I replied.

"My friend told me about you. He's gotten his hair cut here before, and said you were really good. I thought I'd see for myself." He said before showing me his sparkly whites.

"That's nice of your friend to say. What's his name?"

"Monte Money."

"I remember, he has such a unique name." I said. "Hey Luna, remember when that Monte guy came and got his hair cut here and you wouldn't stop talking about how cute he was for days?" I called out to her as Craig and I shared a laugh. I looked over at her, and she gave me a slight nod, too caught up in the music to respond fully.

When I finished cutting Leila's hair, I started mixing the pink color together.

"You from around here?" I asked, applying the color to the appropriate spot of hair.

"Yeah, I live about twenty minutes from this pace. Beautiful city. How are you liking it? I know it's a drastic change from Pennsylvania."

"I really like it. I do miss it up there. All the rain and such compared to all the sunshine here took a while to get used to, but I like trying new things, and I think this one is a good change." I smiled.

He simply nodded, and I finished wrapping her hair in foil before sticking her under the dryer. While we waiter, Craig and I, had small talk about the city and life. I found out he was in a band called Escape the Fate, whom I've heard of because of Luna, but never really listened to. I made a mental note to check them out when I get home. Suddenly he popped the question I was nervous about: "Do you have a boyfriend?"

I froze where I stood, minus my eyes, which were glancing at Luna because I knew she held a smug look of satisfaction on her face.

"N-No, I don't." I stuttered. That must have sounded really stupid I thought to myself.

"Well, you know.. You seem pretty cool and you're really beautiful, and uh.. I was wondering if you'd like to go out sometime? I mean, it's okay if you say no, I just-" He was rambling on and fiddling with his thumbs at this point, a clear sign of nervousness. I stopped him from rambling any further.

"That sounds nice." I smiled, grabbing his hand.

He looked up with a wide grin. "Awesome, here's my number." He pulled a pen out from his pocket and wrote his number on my hand. I smiled lightly as a rose color filled my cheeks.

I walked over to Leila and lifted up the head of the dryer and led her to the sink to rinse out the excess color. When I was done, I dried her hair, and I was completely finished.

"Great. Leila, you look gorgeous as always." Craig said as he picked up his daughter, kissing her cheek. She giggled, and replied with a light thank you before burying her face in the crook of his neck.

It was cute how he cared so much for her. It made me smile. I walked over to the desk, waiting for him to pay. He pulled out his wallet searching for the correct amount. I took the money, and grabbed his change.

"Call me?" He asked, slightly hopeful as he kept a a grip on Leila.

"I'll call you." I smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
okay, so here's something new guys!
tell me what you think about it! comment, recommend, subscribe.
enjoy. c:
Savannah~