The Millennium Heart I: The Lost Soul

Chapter 4 - The Wrath Of Rostrevor (3)

Rostrevor’s menacing laugh echoed across the chasm, still alight with a monstrous blaze. “Silly girl,” he shook his head at her in a demeaning manner, “You should have given up the minute you started this duel.”

Rose was starting to get sick of his arrogance as she drew from her deck. “Well I won't, and my faith will reward me,” she promised, looking down at the card she drew. She grinned, “I summon Queen's Knight [ATK 1500/ DEF 1600] in defence mode and place one card face down, that’ll do for now.” She turned the playing field back over to Rostrevor, who only continued to smirk at her.

“Pathetic move if you ask me,” he spat, “I’ll summon my Electric Snake [ATK 800/DEF 600], and shall attack your Queen's Knight with Frostosaurus! Honestly, summoning that thing was a complete waste.”

Rose raised her eyebrows, “And you said you were a good duellist,” she retorted, “I just played the most terrible move in all of Duel Monsters and you actually fell for it!” Rose activated her trap card, and for a moment she thought she saw the image of Rostrevor waver. Maybe it was just a trick of the light.

The man seemed to do a double take, “Poseidon Wave? What’s that?”

Rose had to suppress an eye roll. This guy seemed more dimwitted than she originally thought. “It negates your attack completely, you're just lucky that I don't have any water monsters on the field otherwise you would have lost some life points, too. It’s funny actually, I picked this card by accident. I certainly don’t favour water monsters, but it still came in handy.”

Rostrevor sent a scowl over in her direction. “No matter, i’ll just use Electric Snake's special ability to hit your life points directly!”

Rose’s eyes widened, “What?”

“That means she'll be down to her last 500 life points!” Yugi worried.

Rose watched as the snake dove forward and ducked past her monsters, before going straight through her. It was the weirdest feeling she had ever felt from an attack, and it sent her stumbling backwards. How come with each hit, it feels like a real attack? That Noah kid is going to have some explaining to do.

“One more hit like that and I'm gone,” Rose muttered. “Luckily his snake goes to the graveyard after it attacks...” She looked at her hand, “But that gives me an idea...” her eyes lit up, and she looked back across the chasm to her opponent as she wiped the sweat off her forehead. She still wasn’t sure which was better, the freezing ice wasteland, or being surrounded by fire.

“Rose can still win this, right?” Tea asked, turning to her friend.

“Of course she can,” Yami replied, “Besides, would she have that grin on her face if she thought she was going to lose?”

Rose drew from her deck, before taking a different card out of her hand. “I activate the magic card Monster Reborn to bring back your Electric Snake from last turn, and I summon King's Knight to the field [ATK1600/DEF 1400]. This is the fun part, now that I have both King's Knight and Queen's Knight on the field, I can automatically summon Jack's Knight! [ATK 1900/DEF 1000] As for payback, I'll use your own Electric Snake to attack your life points directly!” Rose announced. “Talk about getting a taste of your own medicine.” Rostrevor cowered away from the snake as his life points dropped to 2350. “Not so mighty now, are you?” Rose said with a smirk.

“Well actually, I still have over 2000 life points,” Rostrevor announced with a laugh. “Whereas you are one attack away from defeat. I wouldn’t get so cocky if I were you.”

“Speak for yourself,” Rose said, “But your monsters will have to take the back seat for now, because I activate Swords of Revealing Light,” she said, placing the card on her duel disk.

“Yes!” Yugi cheered.

“Your only postponing your defeat,” Rostrevor said with a shrug, “there's nothing you could do in 3 turns to defeat me,” he said confidently.

I can’t wait to wipe that smirk off of his face, Rose thought. “Then make your move,” she urged.

“Very well, I'll just lay one card face down and end my turn,” Rostrevor smirked. “Try your hardest, but you’ll never destroy my Frostosaurus in 3 turns!” He laughed maniacally, and Rose just shook her head.

Over the next three turns Rose managed to sacrifice her Queen’s Knight, King’s Knight and Jack’s Knight for Dark Magician girl, Dark Magician and Chaos Command Magician. She was also able to destroy Rostrevor’s face down card and prevent him from playing another monster with her Trap Hole card. He only had his Frostosaurus on the field and one card face down when she finished her third turn.

Rostrevor burst out into laughter, “That's all you can do in three turns? What a waste, your tiny little defence of magicians can do nothing to stop me! Now that your Swords of Revealing Light are gone I can attack and destroy you! Especially when I have my own Monster Reborn to bring back Electric Snake!” Rostrevor announced, laughing maniacally.

“No!” Tea cried, “That'll wipe out the rest of her life points!”

“Rose can't lose this!” Yugi stammered.

I know you can still win Rose, Yami thought, don't prove me wrong.

The blaze surrounding both duellists seemed to rise and intensify when Rostrevor called out his attack on Rose’s life points, and their spectators called out in worry as their view of the duel was blocked. There was a blast, and they heard Rose call out just like last time when the snake went straight through her. The air was silent tense as the flames began to recede once more, and the first thing they all saw was Rose lying on the ground.

“She...she lost,” Yugi murmured with wide eyes.

“No Yugi,” Yami spoke up from beside him, “look closer.”

“Huh?” the boy looked up in confusion, and saw with surprise that Rose’s monsters were still on the field. If the duel were over they would have disappeared.

“Her life points!” Tea called out, “They haven't changed!”

“What's this?!” Rostrevor questioned, “That should have obliterated the last of your life points!” he fumed.

Should have,” Rose stated, lifting herself up, “But didn't.” She winced as she tried to pull herself into a standing position, and was once again amazed at what this world was capable of. Her strength had been drained with each attack, and she had no idea how, but she still had the determination to win. She ignored the heat radiating off the blaze around her as she looked up again. “I activated my deck master’s special ability, by choosing 2 cards in my hand and eliminating them from the game, I negated the damage of your attack.” Tea and Yugi both cheered for their new friend, and Rose sent them a grin and a thumbs up.

“Well done,” Yami nodded, “Now finish him off.”

“With pleasure,” Rose grinned, turning back to her opponent, who didn’t look all too happy. She looked at her deck, please; give me the card that I need. She closed her eyes and, with a shaky hand, drew what could be her last card. When she opened her eyes, a wide grin spread across her face. “Yes!” She cheered. “Now you're going to meet my ultimate spell caster. He’s the ace of my deck back home, and to summon him I must sacrifice 2 level 6 or higher spell casters, so thank you my dark magicians.” Rose signalled to the two monsters in front of her, and Tea thought she saw both the Dark Magician and Dark Magician Girl nod at Rose, before they disappeared as sacrifices. I’ve had enough of the wacky temperatures, Tea concluded. “So now I can summon the greatest of all spell casters!” Rose announced, holding the card high in her hand, “The Sorcerer of Dark Magic!” [ATK 3200/DEF 2800] She summoned the monster to the field, and as it rose up in front of her, a large grin was across the girl’s face.

“The Sorcerer of what?!” Rostrevor stepped back, his eyes wide in horror.

“Sorcerer of Dark Magic?” Tea asked.

“An extremely powerful card,” Yami nodded, “It is indeed the greatest of all spell casters.”

“It has enough power to destroy the Blue Eyes White Dragon!” Yugi exclaimed.

Rose was filled with excitement and adrenaline as she looked at the two spell casters on her field, “And my sorcerer has a unique ability,” she added, “For every one of it’s fallen comrades, your Frostosaurus loses 500 attack points,” Rose explained.

“What?!” Rostrevor exclaimed, “But you just sacrificed 2 of them!”

“Exactly,” Rose chimed. “So your monster now only has 1600 attack points. Sorcerer of Dark Magic, destroy his Frostosaurus!”

“Not so fast!” Rostrevor wailed, fumbling with his cards to press a button on his duel disk. “You've activated my trap, Mirror Force! Ha!”

“I'm afraid that won't work,” Rose countered. “My sorcerer is so powerful that he can stop the activation of trap cards and destroy them. Sorry buddy.” Rostrevor cried out in horror as his trap was blown off the field. “That means my Sorcerer can obliterate your dinosaur!” Rose announced. Rostrevor cowered at the sight of his monster being destroyed, as it burst into pieces and showered around him. “Your Frostosaurus is no more,” Rose said, smiling as her new monster came back and stood in front of her.

“Not Frostosaurus!” Rostrevor moaned, “That's one of my best cards!” He mourned the loss of his dinosaur as his life points dropped to 1600.

“Don't think I'm finished yet,” Rose pointed out, “I also have my Chaos Command Magician, remember?”

“But-That will obliterate the rest of my life points!” Rostrevor wailed.

“Good to see that you can do math,” Rose smirked. “Now, Chaos Command Magician, attack his life points directly and end this duel!” Rostrevor’s defeated cry echoed around the chasm as Rose’s monster slashed away the rest of his life points, and he fell to his knees in defeat. “Thank you, Chaos Sorcerer,” Rose smiled at her deck master, who nodded in return, before disappearing along with the rest of her monsters. She let out a sigh of relief, and fell down to her knees in exhaustion, faintly being able to hear her new friends cheering in delight. So this is what it’s like...to have people who care. A smile spread across her face as she tried to regain her breath from such a full on duel. “I don't remember any duel taking this much strength out of me before...” she muttered, desperately wishing she had at least a glass of water. She watched the sweat off her forehead drip onto the ground as she put her hands down in front of her, but the heat of the flames around her were almost unbearable by this point. Were they getting stronger?

“This can't be happening! How can I lose?!” Rostrevor was on his knees screaming up at the sky. “I can't be beaten by a little girl! You little runt!” Rose looked up just as the flames around her burst upwards, encasing her in even more heat and smoke. What’s going on?!

“Rose!” Yugi called out to her in panic. “We have to get her out of there!”

“Rostrevor!” Yami boomed, turning to the man. “Stop this madness! Losing a duel doesn't mean you can play dirty.”

Rostrevor seemed to have lost his mind, for he was laughing like a mad man, “I can do whatever I want!” he retorted.

Can this guy actually control the virtual world? Rose thought as she tried to fend off the invading heat. She could feel the flames closing in on her even more, and as the smoke filled her lungs she was finding it harder and harder to breathe. She lowered herself to the ground even more, trying to find air, but there was none. The world began to swirl around her in a cloud of heat and smoke.

“Rostrevor!” Yami's strong voice echoed across the chasm, “This has gone on long enough! I demand that you stop this!”

“Why should I?” Rostrevor yelled in reply.

Yami was about to call on the power of the millennium puzzle, when a bright light came from inside the wall of flames that Rose was encased in. Yami, Yugi and Tea watched on in awe as the wall of light burst through the flames, causing them to recede. It was an incredible sight. It then shrunk into a tiny spark and went back into Rose's chest, right where her heart shaped tattoo was. She appeared to be lying on the ground, unconscious.

“What was that?” Yugi asked.

“I don't know, but we have to get across to her,” Yami replied. Just as he had spoken, a bridge appeared between them and Rose. The three of them looked at it in bewilderment, before their questioning looks were answered.

“Rostrevor!” A familiar voice boomed from above. “I created you to do one thing and that was to defeat Rose! And in her defeating you, you've done nothing but show me how much of a mistake that was! You have no right to be altering the conditions of MY virtual world!”

“But, Master Noah, I-”

“That's enough! I created you and thus I can destroy you!”

Yami, Yugi and Tea watched on in shock as Rostrevor begged to be given a second chance, before he cried out and faded away into nothing. It was silent once more.

“Well that was convenient,” Tea commented. They ran across the bridge to Rose, and she still didn’t appear to be moving.

“Rose,” Yami reached the girl first, kneeling down next to her, “Can you hear me?” He waited for a moment, but there appeared to be no response. He tried again, “Rose?

“Please wake up,” Yugi pleaded.

“She's been almost completely drained of her energy,” Yami noted, gently putting his hand on her forehead, she looked incredibly pale.

“Is she going to be okay?” Tea asked.

“I'm not going to accept otherwise,” Yami replied. He looked to her tattoo, curiously. There’s something more to this girl than meets the eye, he thought. We have to find out why she can see both Yugi and I no matter who is in control. Perhaps it has something to do with this tattoo. He hesitantly reached his hand out and gently ran it across the tattoo, and his millennium puzzle started glowing in reply.

“What's this?” Yami said, surprised. “The puzzle’s reacting to it.” He watched as Rose's heart tattoo started glowing as it had before, and the colour slowly returned to her cheeks.

“The millennium puzzle is returning her strength! I had no idea it had that power,” Yugi piped up from beside Yami.

“This is incredible,” Yami agreed with him. They watched on in awe as the puzzle returned Rose’s strength and she no longer looked pale or so drained of energy, only as if she had taken a short nap.

Yami carefully put his hand on her shoulder, hoping that it would wake her up. “...Rose?”