Status: update as much as I can:)

The Sharpest Lives

To Fight or To Die

Night came just as fast as Ace's back pain did.

She sat on the RV's kitchen table bench, or what had become her bed, trying not to make any movements that might spark pain. Andrea sat across from her, messing around with her gun that was given to her. Ace knew of the reasons she was kept from it, but didn't get into it. It wasn't her business, and frankly, she didn't care very much.

On the floor of the RV laid Daryl, using a bunched up jacket as some sort of pillow. Carol was in the back of the RV, laying in the bed and sobbing softly to herself. Ace wasn't Carol's biggest fan, but each whimper was like a kick in the gut, reminding her that Sophia is out there, that she could have done something more to save her, and her mother from this guilt.

The four of them where the last ones left on the highway, minus Dale who was on watch. After the incident where Lori "climbed right out of Daryl's asshole" to get on a horse with the mysterious girl, Glenn and T-dog went to go find the farm that was spoken about and try to reunite with the split group members. There was a spoken worry about Sophia finding her way back to the highway when everyone was gone, so that is why the four of them remained. It was only for the night, not wanting to keep the group split for long.

Daryl had come up with the idea that in the morning they would make a big sign and leave some supplies for Sophia just in case. It was a good idea, and the Daryl that was taking the leadership now didn't seem at all like the one that had called Ace a stupid bitch the first couple of times they spoke. It confused Ace, but it wasn't her biggest worry. There were bigger problems.

There are always bigger problems though, aren't there?

Ace thought this, feeling a little bit bad that it was true, but yet she couldn't stop thinking about how bad her back was hurting. She was trying to be discrete about shifting her position constantly, not wanting to bother everyone or have someone ask her what was wrong. She tried to make it seem like she was just getting comfortable on the small bench, even if that was far from it.

She felt like someone had hold of the muscles in her back and were squeezing them all together in a tight fist. Soreness was prominent in every move she made because of it and she was unsure of what to do at this point. She took her meds and a small dose of pain killers before she joined everyone in here, but they weren't kicking in yet.

Her attention was pulled slightly away from her back when she heard Daryl sitting up. He was getting impatient with the crying of Carol, it bothering him for many reasons, and the noises Andrea and Ace were making. He couldn't sleep, wouldn't get a good nights rest with that little girl out there.

Ace watched as Daryl pushed himself up from the ground, it being so dark that there was no way he could tell she was awake and looking at him, beside for the fact that he just knew she wouldn't be asleep. He had trouble understanding Ace, but he could read this part of her and knew that if he wasn't sleeping because of Sophia, then she wasn't. Which is very true, but he was unaware of the pain she was in, also.

"I'm gona walk the road," Daryl said in a gruff voice, reaching down to grab his jacket. "For the girl."

Carol's cries faded softly when she heard his words, looking at Daryl turn to head out of the RV. Before he did though, he made quick eye contact with Ace, and through the dark she felt he was seeing if she was coming.

Ace was already halfway ready and up to follow after him, not ever missing out on a chance to look for Sophia. She needed to get up a move, anyway, staying still and sitting with that back pain was killing her. Well, cancer was killing her. Not finding Sophia was killing her. Not having her little sister here was killing her. But still...

Ace made sure she had her knife and gun on her hips before she followed Daryl. He knew she was following him to come, but didn't say anything, just allowed it and led her out of the RV. He flashed the flash light in his hand around outside, looking up to Dale. "Gona go shine some light on the road. If she's out there it'll give her some light."

"I'm coming, too," Andrea's sudden voice came out of the RV, getting both Daryl and Ace to look back at her. Ace wasn't really wanting any conversation or drama that she felt Andrea would bring, but she didn't mind. Andrea just wanted to help and she is another good set of eyes.

"Are you sure that's a good idea right now?" Dale questioned from atop the RV, halting his lookout.

"Dale." Andrea snapped, stopping him with that before walking in front of Daryl and Ace. Ace felt she was right when she said, or thought, Andrea was very dramatic, but there wasn't much she could do about it but ignore it. She really didn't care.

Daryl and Ace turned, looking at each other and sharing a slight shrug before following the direction Andrea took. Andrea was walking much faster, not scoping the area around her, just carelessly going for a stroll. Daryl and Ace were hung back, Ace having a hand on top of her sheathed knife and constantly checking their surroundings while Daryl searched around with the flashlight, waving it.

Ace's back wasn't as cramped up and achy as it was before, now that she was moving and stretching it out, but it still had pain running up and down her spine. She just bit her tongue and tried to ignore it whenever it sparked up, focusing on looking for Sophia. She thought about how nice it would be if Daryl could just shine the light and Sophia could see it and coming running towards them.

"What's wrong wit'cha?" Daryl's quick, gruff question caught her out of her thoughts and she turned to him. He wasn't looking at her, just off into the forest as he looked around with the flashlight. Ace's eyebrows furrowed in confusion at him, even though he wasn't lookin' to see. "Yer walkin' funny," he glanced at her, nodding in the direction of her legs. He was talking quietly, not loud enough for even Andrea to hear in front of them.

Ace hadn't realized she was limping enough that it was noticeable, she was just trying to ease some of the pressure in her back. She immediately tried to hide the limp, but found it was much more painful to do so. Still, she tried. "M'fine." She looked away from Daryl to her side

"Now that I said somethin' ya are," Daryl pointed out, grumbling a bit.

"You're seein' things," Ace mumbled quietly, a bit shy, trying to hide her face because she was a terrible liar. It's not like Daryl would be able to see though, it's too dark.

"I know when I'm seein' things and when I ain't seein' things. Yer limpin'," Daryl mused, pointing at her legs again.

This time Ace didn't respond and looked into the forest, feeling it be better if she didn't because hopefully Daryl would just drop it, maybe even believe her. She didn't need him asking questions, not now. They both had bigger things to worry about, and either way, she didn't want the group knowing about what's wrong with her.

Ace knows they'll label her weak and sickly, probably kick her out. She didn't want that, she needed this group until she decided what she was going to do. She didn't want to take the attention off Sophia, or Carl, the ones who needed it. She was just an outsider of this group skating by until she left, maybe to eat a bullet, maybe to go use her last days to look for her baby sister again.

Thinking this, Ace felt a spark of guilt. Not only for practically abandoning Frankie, but also cause she feels guilty for wanting to up and leave this group. Even though they're a big mess, she kind of took a liking to them in the short while she's been with them.

Either way, they don't need to know.

"You bit?" Daryl now asked, getting Ace to snap her head over to him. He was looking right at her now, his gaze hard.

She shook her head no, keeping his eye contact so hopefully he could see her truthfulness. She's not that stupid. If she were bit, she'd do something about it. She didn't want to be a danger to this group. She wonders if they think of her as one? Has she given them a reason to trust her? More importantly; has she not?

Daryl studied her face for a bit, thinking about her answer before giving a slight nod and turning his head away from her. Ace did the same and looked back into the trees around her, taking a moment to make sure Andrea wasn't too far ahead.

"What is it then?" He pressed on, grumpy and determined for an answer. He wanted to grab this girl by the shoulders and shake words out of her, get some answers. The rest of the group was so damn talkative that he couldn't get them to shut their damn mouths half the time, but with her he can't get her to open it. He doen't mind her quiet, he prefers it, but she's like some damn mystery novel.

Daryl convinced himself that why he's so interested is because he doesn't know her well enough to trust her. He's trying to figure out who she is for his safety and the groups safety, but he knows that through the little time she's been with them, he trusts her more than most. But he doesn't admit to that, not even to himself.

Daryl's point about Ace was proven when she continued to stay silent again. Daryl didn't like that she was ignoring him, just continuing to search the forest with her eyes. It was a simple question, Daryl thought. She's just gotta' tell him what's wrong with her. He believed her when she said she wasn't bit, but then what the hell is up? Why is she bein' so weird?

Daryl scoffed and grumbled something under his breath. Ace highly doubted it was anything nice, but Andrea turning to walk back over to them had it shrugging off her shoulders.

Andrea stood in front of them, with her hip slightly popping out and her arms crossed loosely. Both Daryl and Ace stopped when she did. "How far down do you think we should walk?" She asked, looking more to Daryl than Ace for an answer.

"However far down we think Sophia walked," Daryl said, starting to walk again.

Andrea sighed and turned, now slowing down to walk with them. Ace took glances at her out of the corner of her eye as Andrea gave a lot of attention to Daryl, seeking for his, too. Andrea ended up walking between Daryl and Ace, Ace stepping a little to the side to not be so close and give room. She didn't mean to move away as far of she did, but felt it suited her better, being so far away from the two that were conversing. Or more so Andrea talking and Daryl barely listening. She noted that Andrea liked to talk.

"Do you really think we'll find Sophia?" Andrea asked and Ace's face immediately fell further into a frown. There was a bit of a scowl on it to, not liking that question. She let herself fall a little bit further back from Andrea again.

Daryl scoffed lightly, shining the light at Andrea's face while he did. "Ya got that look on your face, same as everybody else. T'hells wrong with you people?"

Daryl wasn't happy with her question either, thinking that everyone was already starting to give up. Everyone but Ace. She was the only other one without that look on her face. Why is that the girl who's been in the group for the shortest amount of time is the one who's done the most? Cared the most?

Ace had been seeing that same expression on peoples faces that Daryl mentioned. They all had no motivation, no hope for this. They just doubted and started to give up. Why? Ace wondered. Why would they give up on Sophia?

"We just started lookin'," Daryl stated, his voice far from happy.

"Do you?" Andrea repeated.

Ace shook her head to herself, looking into the forest again. That's right, she's looking for Sophia. She actually has hope and motivation, unlike this group.

"It ain't the mountains of Tibet, it's Georgia," Daryl was arguing, saying all the things Ace was thinking. "She could be hold up in a farm house somewhere. People get lost, survive.. It happens all the time," Daryl was unamused with the fact that he actually had to explain this. He thought these people had a little more faith in the little girl and their search than that.

"She's only twelve," Andrea stated.

Ace didn't know what Andrea was getting at. Was she trying to convince them to stop looking, that Sophia is gone? Cause if she is, she's wrong. And Ace isn't appreciative of what she's saying. She's been through a hell of a lot before she was twelve. Sure, her and Sophia's childhoods were completely different, but that doesn't mean Sophia isn't smart.

"Hell, I was younger than that an' I got lost. Nine days, eatin' berries, wipin' my ass with poison oak," Daryl said, still shining light around the forest.

Ace looked up at him, but ended up looking mostly at the back of his head because of how much she had allowed herself to drift behind them. She had no part in their conversation and wasn't going to talk anyway, so she stayed back and listening, analyzing what they were saying and what Daryl said got more of a response out of her.

She wanted to hear the story, but she took a moment to revel in how they must have had similar childhoods. And by saying that, she means they both had pretty shitty ones.

"They found you?" Andrea asked, trying to see if that was the point of why he mentioned it.

"My old man was off on a bender with some waitress. Merle was doin' another stent in Juive... Didn't even know I was gone," Daryl told. At the mention of Merle a frown creased into Ace's face and she looked away from Daryl's back, feeling too guilty and slightly saddened. "Made my way back though," Daryl continued after a small moment of silence. "Went straight into the kitchen and made myself a sandwich. Wasn't worse for wear, 'cept my ass itched somethin' awful."

Andrea snorted a laugh before just letting it out, not holding it back. As much as Ace may have thought it was humorous, she wasn't going to laugh at it. She was absorbing all the words he said, thinking hard about them, like always.

"I'm sorry," Andrea laughed. "That's a terrible story."

She let out another soft laugh and Daryl snorted one, too, taking a second to momentarily glace at Ace. For a quick moment, his heart dropped, thinking she wasn't with them anymore, but then he looked back even further and saw her trailing behind slowly. She glanced up at him and saw the slight amusement on his face from laughing with Andrea as they held eye contact. After a moment, he simply nodded, something he does a lot to show what his words don't, and turned back.

"The only difference is Sophia's got people lookin' for her. Call that an advantage," Daryl proved a good point to which Andrea didn't have a response to, letting silence fall over them all.

Walking on, Ace kept to herself, in her own world. She now held on to her knife, the silent night making her feel uneasy as she searched through trees.

Her back was feeling much better, and she didn't have to try and hide the limp anymore because it was slowly fading. The pain killers were kicking in, but so where the other pills she took. She was feeling very drowsy, blinking to stay alert. It was a side effect, but one she could manage, especially when a slight rustling came from further in the forest and spiked her heart rate.

Immediately into a ready stance, she, Andrea, and Daryl shared a look before following after the noise. Daryl rushing next to her with his crossbow up, Andrea weaponless behind them.

They went deeper into the forest, shinning light and ready for whatever it could be. Ace hoped so desperately that it wasn't a walker, really, really wanting it to be Sophia. They all did.

They followed the rustling noise, soon the flashlight illuminated an old lawn chair, a small tent and multiple pots and pans resting on a make shift table. There was garbage and logs of wood lying around everywhere. At first, Ace thought that maybe, just maybe, Sophia had been staying here. There was a glimmer of hope.

But that was crushed when leaves rustled from the tree above them and deadly moaning could be heard. Ace's heart fell a bit as they came around the tree that was making all the noise. They slowly stood up, lowering weapons because what they saw wasn't going to attack them. It was hanging from the tree.

"What the hell.." Daryl mused as he went closer to it.

With all the flesh gone from it's bloody legs, a walker swung from a rope around it's neck. The bones in his legs could be seen completely from knee down, bloody and void of any skin or muscle. Ace's stomach twisted and she looked away from what she saw, disgusted and saddened by it.

She had to take a moment to breathe properly, rubbing her forehead with the back of her hand that was gripping onto her knife. Daryl was unfazed by it, going closer and shinning his light at it, noticing the note on the tree.

"Got bit, fever hit, worlds gone to shit, might as well quit..." Daryl read it aloud. It was clear what had happened now to them all and Ace ran her hand down her face before stepping forward next to Daryl to look at it. That could have been her, she thought.. She gagged a bit.

"Dumbass didn't know enough to shoot himself in the head, turned into a big swingin' piece of bait."

Daryl wasn't very sympathetic to the man that hung himself, and was very blunt. It made Ace's head spin a bit looking up at the hanging walker, so she turned away from it, walking slowly back while her mind worked a mile a minute and her stomach was clenched.

Andrea, on the other hand, was hunched over, groaning as she coughed. "Ya alright?" Daryl asked, slightly amused.

"Just trying not puke," she breathed out.

Ace stood behind them both again, watching and playing with the knife in her hand as she waited. She was trying not to think about the walker hanging up there.

"Lets just..." Andrea sucked in a breath. "Talk about something else. How'd you learn to shoot?"

Ace looked at Daryl from where she was, like she was hidden in the shadows. She wanted to hear his answer, she noticed that he never really talks to the group, let alone about himself. This was the most words she's heard him say at once. "Gotta eat. That's one thing these walkers and us have in common," he stated blandly, still watching the walker swing from the tree.

"This is the closest he's been to food since he's turned," Daryl stated, the walker growling and trying to reach out for them, only making the rope swing more. "Look at 'em, hangin' like a big pinata."

Ace looked away from Daryl to down at the dirt rolling under her boots. He took a weird interest in the big pinata, and she didn't get it. But she didn't get a lot of things.

"The other geeks must'a came and ate all the flesh off his legs," Daryl pointed, and that was enough for Andrea's small amount of food she ate today to come up.

Ace glanced briefly up at Andrea and the fleshless-walker, but then looked quickly back down because it was a disgusting situation. She didn't want to think about it, she hated walkers. She hated the concept of them. She just wanted to get on with looking for Sophia.

"I thought we were changing the subject," Andrea groaned.

"Call that payback for laughin' at my itchy ass," Daryl said, looking back at her.

Ace just wanted to move on, she was getting antsy and didn't really enjoy the presence of the walker. Luckily, Daryl looked back at her at the right time, seeing that she had her head casted down and her hands playing with each other. "Lets head back," he said, practically to her.

She looked up at him and simply nodded.

Daryl turned to start walking away, but Andrea stopped him. She wanted him to use his crossbow and put the walker out of it's misery. Daryl said it would just be a waste of an arrow, it's not bothering anybody.

Ace saw where he was coming from, but he was being inhumane about it. She agreed with Andrea. It was just a man up there who wanted it to end. It's something easy to relate to, but he just wasn't smart enough to do it correctly. Still, he shouldn't be cursed to what he has become.

Andrea went quiet, going up to the walker and shinning her light on it. It was growling and frantically trying to reach her. Silence lasted for a while as Andrea just studied it, until Daryl came back with a thought. "Ya wanna live now?"

Ace found out that back at the CDC, Andrea had to try to stay in the blast. It was Dale who forced her out, which Ace is well aware of why they've been causing drama between themselves. She heard a lot of it.

Andrea agreed to give an answer for one of Daryl's arrows, but her answer wasn't what Ace wanted.

Ace understood that Andrea didn't want to live in this world, but Ace would give anything to trade places. Ace doesn't have a choice, she's going to die. Her cancer is going to kill her, she knows it will. That's the only reason she'd think about eating a bullet, because she might have to.

But Andrea has a choice to stay on this earth and fight and stay with this group. It may seem like earth has burnt over into hell, but to fight, to earn a life and friends like these ones, is something that Ace wants. She wants to stay and look for her little sister... be healthy. She wants to find Sophia and enjoy the happiness that will spread over the group when they do. She doesn't care if she has to go through killing walkers each day, she just wants to survive.

She wants to fight.
♠ ♠ ♠
HOly shit so sorry as usual that I take seriouslt like months in between my updates. I get busy and struggle to get past writers block! But here I am! I'm going to post another chapter or two after this so beware!