Status: update as much as I can:)

The Sharpest Lives

Open Your Mouth

On the walk back to the highway, Daryl could sense something had upset Ace, or at least he thought she was upset. It was hard to tell, she really didn't show much emotion for him to see.

Andrea was clueless, just dragging herself up the small hill they were walking on, looking between Ace and Daryl. "How long were you alone before you met the group?" Andrea suddenly asked, still trying to change the subject from what they had just experienced. Neither Daryl nor Ace responded fast enough for Andrea. "Either of you..."

Again, neither answered. They weren't ones for questions, let alone talking. Daryl had been fairly talkative lately because with Rick gone, he seemed to be the one everyone looked to. He was escaping from the cold shell his brother had over him, but he had his limits. He wasn't going to become chatty Cathy and spill all his feelings to anyone like most of the people here.

It was obvious Ace wasn't either.

"Wasn't alone," Daryl grumbled simply.

It was a rough topic, so Andrea didn't press it. She just sighed and looked at Ace. "Ace?" She pressed.

Ace glanced back at her for a quick moment, gnawing on her cheek as she looked back in front of her. Both were waiting for an answer, Daryl finally wanting to get some.

"Always been on my own." She didn't look back at either of them as she answered, shying away from their gazes.

"Wha' about yer sister?" Daryl questioned, not being able to help himself. He was just damn curious.

Andrea looked up to them quickly, unaware Ace had a sister. Andrea wondered if something happened to her like it happened to Amy, making her face fall.

Ace's jaw clenched, sadness and guilt in her head at the mention of her sister. She's looking for Sophia more than her own sister. She's replacing her with another little girl. She feels barely a strand of hope for finding her sister, so she puts it all on Sophia as if finding Sophia will make her feel better.

But she misses her little sister. She misses her innocent smile and her cheerful giggles. She's what kept Ace going and kept her sane. Frankie kept Ace's morals in check. Frankie kept Ace in check...

As soon as Sophia is found she's going to find Frankie. She can't live in this hopeful, but hopeless state anymore.

But she definitely wasn't going to tell these two that her little sister was in foster care, that's why she couldn't get to her right away. She'd then have to tell them why and how or whatever, and she wasn't about to tell them her life story.

Andrea sighed loudly, bringing her hands up and letting them fall down to her thighs when Ace took a substantial amount of time to not respond. "Fine, I get it, you don't like to talk," Andrea started. "But don't expect to be accepted into this group if you can't even tell us where you've been. We all know each other here, and trust is a big deal these days, especially for strangers."

Andrea finished her point and Ace stopped walking, turning slightly to watch Andrea walk past her with a slight speed in her walk. Andrea wasn't exactly trying to be rude or cruel, but how was Ace supposed to take it? Friendly advice? Andrea just always had some drama with her. Ace thinks she enjoys it.

But Ace knows she is the outsider and it was becoming more and more clear that not many people enjoyed her here. Carol couldn't stand her, blamed her for everything, which hurt Ace greatly. Andrea now had it out for her. Lori was never her biggest fan, always doing her best to keep her kid away from Ace. Rick was skeptical of her, even though now he was gone. Daryl was okay with her, she thinks, but so were Sophia and Carl and look whats happened now...

The offer Shane made earlier was making more and more sense to her. If she was planning to look for Frankie after finding Sophia, then leaving with Shane was her best option. He was right with what he said.

Daryl had slowed down to wait for Ace when he noticed she wasn't coming. It took Ace a moment to shake everything off and turn and start walking with him again. He kept glancing at her the whole silent way back to the highway.

--

Arriving back at the RV, they all noticed Carol, who was waiting for them on top of the RV, run back inside crying. Ace looked down at her feet in sadness and guilt as she followed Daryl inside. Dale stopped Andrea for a moment to talk to her, so Ace let the door close.

Daryl huffed while taking his vest jacket off and throwing it on the ground for his pillow along with his crossbow. He was sweating and covered in dirt, Ace could see it over his arms even in the dark.

Ace went back to her bench, sitting on it and simply rubbing her hands over her eyes in exhaustion. The drowsiness from her medications were really hitting her along with the mental exhaustion from her guilt and mental battles, and then from all the walking she did today.

Daryl stopped himself from laying down on the floor to look back at Ace for a moment, hesitating slightly. "M'gonna run back out there and take one last look around in the mornin' before we leave," he stated. He didn't know why he was doing this, he just was.

Ace nodded, getting the message. Daryl nodded back before slumping onto the ground, and that's all they needed for a conversation. Without even an actually question, she got that he was asking her to go.

Ace thought that yeah, she's not on the rest of the groups favorite list, if she's even on a list of theirs at all, but she seems to be okay with Daryl. She doesn't mind him and he hasn't given her anything to feel badly about him. She hopes it is vice versa, also.

Shane had told her to ask Daryl to leave with them. Ace didn't want to break this group up, that is not her intention, but Daryl was.. different.

Daryl knew that Shane had planted seeds in Ace's head about leaving, and it had troubled him a little bit. He was afraid she was going to leave at ditch the search for Sophia, but he knew that she wouldn't do that. He was too much like her and she was one of the only ones in this group actually having faith in the search. She had grown some type of feelings for the little girl and he knows that her sister is lost, too.

He can piece together things about Ace, like her motivation, and even some of her thoughts. But ultimately, she's a big freakin' closed book. A mystery book at that. And Daryl didn't know why he was trying to read it.

--

The next morning Ace was up as soon as the sun was.

A small ray of light coming in from the bottom of the RV window had her blinking her eyes to adjust to it. As she sat up from her half sitting, half laying position on the cushioned bench, her whole body felt sore. Her back had a significant aching going on, her body was yelling at her for sleeping in the uncomfortable position, and her throat was drier than the weather outside. And for Georgia, that's a lot.

She placed a hand on her lower back to support it as she moved to the edge of the cushion. She looked around the RV to see both Andrea and Carol in a deep sleep in the spots they were in last night. Ace figured it must be just barely the crack of dawn based on how dead Carol and Andrea look.

But as she look down to see if Daryl was still asleep, she saw an empty floor. She questioned where he was but soon her dry throat caught all of her attention.

Letting out a small breath, she reached to behind her to grab her bag. She took her hand off her back to open it up and start digging inside. She pushed aside all the pill bottles and crumbled up papers to find her canteen of water at the bottom.

Taking it out, she unscrewed the cap and peered inside to see she still had a substantial amount of water left. As she brought it up to her lips, about to chug it down, she stopped herself and glanced down into her bag at the pills.

Sighing, she screwed the cap back on the canteen and moved off the bench, slinging her backpack over her shoulder as she did. Before getting up, she slid her feet into her boots that were sitting at the edge of the bench and quickly laced them up. She made sure the two small army knives were still hidden in them and then made sure her large one was still sheathed at her side before standing. After grabbing her gun off the table and putting it in the back waistband of her pants, she started her way out.

Quietly, Ace went to the RV door and started down the stairs, catching sight of Dale in the passenger seat, fast asleep. She almost wanted to wake him up to get him out of the uncomfortable position he seemed to be in to spare him the soreness, but decided against taking away any of his sleep.

Ace pushed the RV door open, releasing the new day sunlight onto her. She squinted and felt warmth on her skin that was soon brushed away by a cool morning breeze.

She tredded down the stairs, holding onto one strap of her backpack and letting the door close behind her. She took a moment to look around at all the deserted cars and supplies that they collected the past day, knowing they were going to have to leave the highway today to go to the farm. She wanted to stay for Sophia.

She figured maybe that she could stay by herself to wait for Sophia and even look around some more while the rest of the group went. Ace thought it was reasonable, and none of the group would really care anyways. She's not even a part of their business.

Ace decided she would bring it up to someone, maybe Dale since he is the most understanding, before they leave. But for now, she had to deal with what's in her bag.

Ace looked behind her at the RV door to make sure no one was following her out here before she started walking down the road. She went passed a few of the cars they had ransacked and the few they pushed off the road, finding one further down that seemed to be far enough away.

She peered into all the windows to make sure it was clear of biters before climbing up onto the trunk. She felt pain shoot up her back, but ignored it as she pushed her self to hop onto the roof. She took a look around her, assessing her surroundings and watching for any sign of danger, but when she saw none, she crouched down.

She pulled her backpack off of her back and set it in front of her, opening it up. She pulled out all the pills and set them down on the roof, bottle after bottle. When they were all in front of her, Ace felt overwhelmed. It was so much to keep track of, so much to worry about, and so much sickness that lied in front of her.

Her back was starting to hurt from her crouching position so she gave in and sat criss-cross in front of all the medicine. For a while, she just stared at it all, feeling quite a bit empty, besides the cancer growing inside of her, and quite a bit hopeless, besides the small ball of fire in her stomach.

Ace thought back to last night, hearing Andrea talking about how she wasn't sure if she wanted to live or not. She remembered the craving she had to be able to be Andrea and not have to worry about dying without a choice. She remembered the need to live that made the fire in her stomach grow like the cancer.

Ace straightened her back and looked at her medicine with a determined look. She decided today is the day she is going to stop being afraid of them all and take what she's supposed to, to keep herself alive, without fear of the side effects. She can deal with them, she has before. She wants to fight.

Jenner had left her a list of what to take and when with all of the pills, and when she did the math, it was pretty much all of them... everyday. Until she ran out, that is.

Gulping down a small amount of dread and uncertainty. Ace started popping off the caps and unscrewing the one to her canteen. After gathering all the pills she had to take in her hand, she felt like it would be impossible to take all of these without overdosing or something because there were just so many.

She decided not to think about that or anything and just shoved the majority of them into her mouth, gulping them down with the water. She did this two more times until they were all gone, and then chugged all of her water after.

With a heavy breath, she breathed out, wiping her mouth with the back of her sleeve. She instantly regretted this because all she did was rub dirt on her face.

Ace looked down at herself and saw how god awfully dirty she was. She hasn't changed clothes since the start of all this, really. It's not like she has had an option, but the last time she was this gross was when she was waste deep in alcohol and self pity at home.

She'd rather be here, like this, though. Well, in a sense.

Ace didn't know if things were worse then or now, but knows she can't think about it now.

Ace sits up and starts to close up all the pill bottles and place them everything in her bag. After organizing it all and placing all of her weapons and water at the top, she closed it up and slung it back over her shoulders.

She took a moment to look around around her, catching the sunrise beginning at the horizon. The sun was bright and the sky around it was a light pink which faded into the orange clouds. It was beautiful, but Ace could only see the ugliness it's light was being casted upon.

Ace looked away and put her hands on the edge of the car, pushing herself and hopping off. She landed on the ground with a soft thud, and didn't ease her stance up until she had looked around at the surrounding cars for any biters that might appear from the noise.

When none came, she stood up straight and started walking back to the RV.

She was looking over into the forest, thinking about Sophia, when she remembered that her and Daryl were going to look for her this morning. Ace wondered if Daryl went without her and quickly looked back at the RV.

To her surprise, she spotted him on the roof. He was standing with his crossbow on his back and a rifle in his hands, staring right down at Ace, making her freeze. He'd been watching her the whole time.

Ace didn't think that he'd be on watch, or that anyone would. Shit, she wished it would have been Dale still up there, he would be a thousand times easier to explain it do. Or in this case, make up excuses to. But now, she had Daryl on her and his blue eyes staring into her soul.

She looked away from them and down at her feet, continuing her walk over there. She wanted to turn and run, but knew she couldn't do that, so she sucked it up.

When she got to the RV, she didn't look back up at him, not once. Not even when she heard him walk to the edge of the RV, expecting her to. Not even when he jogged over to the ladder and climbed down. She just went straight inside, trying her best to pretend it didn't happen.

She walked up the steps and went over to her bench. She quietly set her bag down in the corner and took her gun out from her waistband. She heard the door open and Daryl's heavy steps come up the stairs. He didn't even try to be quiet for the people sleeping in here, instead he let the door slam behind him.

"Where'd ya go?" He asked, not in a whisper. He knew where she was, he was watching her.

Ace stayed quiet with her back to him, pulling her clip out of her gun to busy herself.

"I asked ya a question," Daryl stated behind her.

She again, didn't respond. She pulled the bullets she knew she had in her front pocket out and started putting them in the clip.

"Hey," Daryl snapped and started to take a step towards her. He was so fed up with her quietness.

Ace slammed her clip back into her gun, not acknowledging Daryl. She didn't know what to say, not like she usually did anyway.

Daryl squinted at her, breathing slightly heavy. "What were ya doin'?" He now asked, barely quieter.

Ace reached behind her to put her gun back in the waistband of her pants, Daryl eyeing her while she did. Ace didn't say anything as she grabbed her bag again, putting it over her shoulders and onto her back before turning around. She didn't look at Daryl, just headed straight for the door, squeezing past him.

"Hey," he called, grabbing her arm to stop her while spinning around. "Where ya think ya goin'?

"To look for Sophia," Ace finally stated with a slight hiss. "You should be on watch." She signaled to the gun in his hand before pulling away and heading down the stairs. She was trying to avoid this and him as best as she could right now.

Daryl scowled in anger and made the quick decision to kick the back of the passenger seat and wake the old man. Dale snorted once and sat up quickly in surprise, reaching around for a gun out of reflex. "Take watch, I'm goin' out," Daryl snapped, tossing the rifle at him before turning away.

Dale caught it and looked watched him with a confused, tired expression as he jogged out the door after Ace.

Daryl pulled his crossbow off his back to hold in his hands as he ran to catch up with Ace. "Stop," he called at her.

Ace didn't stop, just climbed over the road railing and started off into the forest. Daryl had to speed walk over to her. "Stop," Daryl said in a more demanding tone when he got to her again, grabbing her arm to pull her back.

A reflex from the touch which reminded Ace of danger had Ace spinning and grabbing his hand, bending it backwards and pushing it away. It's something she learned as a Marine when defending herself. Daryl was surprised at her actions, but Ace quickly pulled herself together to not show how much she was trying to stay calm about this all. Daryl can't know about her. Ace didn't think about why, because she doesn't have an answer. Daryl just can't.

Ace looked at Daryl in his bright blue eyes with her own, different colored ones. They had Daryl's demeanor halting for a second before his face hardened as he looked at her. Her face was hard and her mouth was sealed shut. She wasn't easy to read like the others, and definitely not easy to hear talk.

"Ya know," Daryl started, looking at her. "Andrea was right with what she said last night to ya." Daryl pointed his finger at Ace's face. "I don't know ya. None of us know nothin' about'cha. None of us know if we can trust ya," he growled. Ace just looked at him, his words making her breaths become more hallow.

"Ya want'ta be part of this group, walk around here like ya know who we are, then ya gotta open yer damn mouth and stop hidin' so much shit," he hissed. His attitude was vile and his voice angered Ace because he doesn't know anything, but she just let him go off. "It's gonna get ya no where but dead. And not one of us are gonna give a shit." He spat, giving her one last glare before pushing past her and taking off into the forest.

Ace stood there, gnawing on the inside of her cheek. She didn't know if the way Daryl spoke to her or if the way that everything he said was true was worse..

She couldn't tell this group because it would do nothing but get her sent out on her ass before she could find Sophia and gain some health. And her plan was to leave anyway, right? So why would she?

Ace clenched her fists and looked to where Daryl just marched off to. How much did this group know about him? How much did he talk to them?

The leaves rustling in front of her caught Ace's attention and she quickly was pulling out her knife, only to let it fall when she saw Daryl. He was dangling his crossbow at his side and his face was still sour in anger as he looked at Ace. "Ya comin' or what?" He snapped.

Ace sighed and put her knife back in it's sheath, sucking it all up and turning to follow after Daryl. She's got to find Sophia, after all. And then she can get out of here and away from this group because all meeting them has done is made shit worse.

Now she actually had people she was starting to care about, and people that could push her buttons to make things harder.

She should have just gone on her own in the beginning. That's how it's supposed to be. She's just supposed to be alone like always. It's all she's good at.
♠ ♠ ♠
what do you think?:)