Status: update as much as I can:)

The Sharpest Lives

Just Sick

When they returned to the RV, the group definitely had their panties in a bunch.

"Well, welcome back," Dale said, almost scoldingly.

Daryl ignored him and just went over to his bike, digging out his water canteen and drinking some. He saw Carol out of the corner of his eye look around for a sign of Sophia, making him frown. They hadn't found anything, barely got much of a look before they got ambushed and Ace got sick.

Daryl glanced over to Ace, watching as she tried to sneak past everyone and into the RV.

"You guys have been gone all morning. Where the hell did you go?" Andrea crossed her arms, pressing on them. Both Daryl and Ace cringed, hating her need to stir up things. She always felt it was her place to butt in and be over dramatic.

"Told ya. Went lookin' for Sophia," Daryl said accusingly. He didn't need them on his ass.

"We've been waiting," Andrea argued, snapping. "I thought the plan was to leave at first light."

"It was. Still is," Daryl grumbled simply. He looked over to where Ace was and saw she made it into the RV, escaping the groups questions. Daryl remembered how he needed to keep an eye on her, see if she was bit, so started to walk away from his bike.

"Then what were you-"

"You're covered in blood," Carol cut Andrea off, her eyes watery like they have been the past few days. Her voice was soft, making Daryl realize what she might think.

"Ran into some walkers... Ain't no sign of Sophia," He told her. She nodded, but still spun to run off into the RV. The walkers could have passed Sophia.

"How many where there?" Dale asked, forgetting about scolding them.

"'Bout two dozen," Daryl informed.

"Two dozen?" Dale leaned back in surprise. "What happened?"

"Came outta' nowhere," Daryl shrugged.

"Why didn't you just get the hell out?" Andrea asked, like she knew what they should've done.

"Couldn't 'xactly do that, could we? Would'a led 'em right back here," he pointed out. It was cause of Ace they didn't run. Daryl glanced at the RV.

"So you guys killed two dozen walkers? All by yourselves?" Andrea asked in disbelief.

"Yep."

"And Ace... helped?" Andrea did not trust Ace. And she wasn't happy that she was given a gun before herself.

Daryl scrunched his eyebrows. "'Course she helped. What the hell ya think?" He stood up for Ace. "Wasn't for her y'all would have a lot more problems than us bein' a little late."

"She's a good addition to the group," Dale agreed and Andrea backed off. Daryl was not one to argue with.

Daryl huffed and turned to head into the RV, done with the conversation. "We leave in ten."

He was about to run up the steps, but stopped himself on the first step when he heard Carol's voice.

"If it's guilt that's makin' you... You should just stop," she said, talking at Ace. "All these searches and all you come back with is blood all over. You're just making it worse."

Daryl didn't hear Ace say anything, to no surprise, but Carol also stopped with her attacks. Daryl decided he would make himself known now.

Both of Ace and Carol looked over to him when he came in, his feet heavy. Carol wiped the tears from under her eyes, making Daryl feel worse for her, and Ace was in the middle of going through her bag.

Daryl cleared his throat awkwardly. "We're headin' out soon. Should get'cha stuff together," he said, looking at Carol.

She sniffled and nodded. "I'll finish up on the sign for Sophia," she said quietly before moving past him and Ace to leave the RV. Daryl watched her leave, then looked over to Ace. She was grabbing something out from her bag.

Daryl tried to peak over her shoulder to see inside, thinking to when he saw her with it this morning. He's not exactly sure what he saw..

But he couldn't see much before Ace pulled out her canteen of water and a granola bar, zipping it up after.

"Be better if ya eat?" He asked, getting her to look back at him for a brief moment.

She really wasn't sure, it could either go down or come back up. But she wasn't gonna say that. She simply just nodded.

"Was it the walkers?" Daryl asked, even though he knew it wasn't. "Tha' made ya all sick.." He just wanted to question her, maybe if he lightly poked then she'd give him some type of answers...

She looked at him, meeting his curious eyes without saying anything. He waited for an answer, but all he got was a "Yeah."

He shifted on his feet, watching her as she took a bite from the granola bar.

"Ain't sick or nothin?" He was pushing closer to his idea of her being bit. He had to know, he told himself it was for the safety of the group.

Ace turned to face him now, her face still pale, but her eyes less bloodshot. The water she splashed on her face helped clean off some of the layers of gunk that piled on, so she didn't look as horrible, in a way.. "I'm fine, jus-" She couldn't even finish her lie to him before her stomach convulsed at the feel of the granola bar and she had to spin from him.

Despite how weak her muscles felt, she still hurried into the small bathroom of the RV and fell onto the floor just in time for the small amount of food she put in to come back up into the toilet. She couldn't keep it down. Shit.

Daryl rushed after her, standing behind her and looking down as she laid her head on the side of the bowl. She was so dizzy again and soon started to cough, feeling like the lining of her stomach was trying to come up.

She was reliving the hell she thought she got through once already. And this wasn't even the worst of it, if she remembered correctly. The treatment was a vivid memory in her head.

"Ya bit," she heard Daryl say from behind her. It wasn't a question. He was sure.

"What?" She wheezed, trying to push herself up. She wished she could just get sick alone and not have to explain any of this. It be so much easier.

Daryl reached over and put his hand on Ace's forehead, causing her to flinch back, but he just kept it on. It was warm. "You've been bit," he said louder, standing back up. He was growing hostile. He trusted this girl, like he shouldn't have. He didn't know why he did, she was a new person, not to be trusted, bottom line. But he did. And she lied about bein' bit? She didn't seem like someone who wouldn't say nothin' if she was. It didn't make sense and it made him mad. "Ain't no point in lyin' to me, ya burnin' up."

"No-" Ace tempted weakly, trying to stand up. God, she wished he didn't have to be around her today to see.

"I gotta tell the rest of 'em," he backed up.

Ace didn't know what to do or how to explain herself. If the group thought she was bit... That's much worse. They'd shoot her in the head before she could tell them anything. As if they'd even believe her.

"No wonder ya keep so damn quiet! Ya been bit this whole time, haven't ya?!" Daryl mused, throwing his arm up. "Ain't never should'a trusted ya... Ya just a new girl, full'a secrets."

"I'm, no, I..." Ace stumbled, trying to just hurry and stand up. Her bones and muscles wouldn't work right and she was way too dizzy for her own good. She just couldn't let Daryl get away and tell the others.

She pushed her body up, gripping onto the doorway as she left the small bathroom. "Wait," she called, her voice rough from her previous coughing fit. Shit. She didn't know what to do.

Hoping she didn't pass out, she quickly moved and lunged after Daryl, grabbing onto his upper arm. "Stop!" She breathed and in surprise that she even got up, he stopped. She let out a breath. "I ain't bit. I'm not."

He just looked at her, his chest huffing.

"Then what?" He huffed harshly. "Ya got a fever... Ya sick, sneakin' around us all. Puttin' the group in danger..."

"I'm not. I wouldn't..." Ace pleaded. "Ya think I would? Those kids..."

Daryl knew she was telling the truth about that. He could see it in her. She spent all this time worryin' and lookin' for Sophia, it wouldn't make sense. She had a thing for the little ones, and she's not the person that would lie and put everyone at odds. She'd leave first..

"Ya still hidin' somethin'," Daryl argued. Ace dropped her hand from his, seeing that he'd given up on the bite theory. Thank God.

"Just sick... The flu or somethin'," she said, trying not to let her lie show so clearly on her face. She is sick, though, so maybe it's not all a lie?

Daryl shook his head. "Then ya wouldn't have freaked out about me tellin' the group," Daryl pointed out. He just needed some God Damn answers. He likes trackin' with this girl, teamin' up with her, he'll admit that. But he can't do that, can't be near her thinkin' she's hiding something.

"You were gonna tell them I was bit," Ace got quieter, exhausted from this all.

"It matter?"

Ace didn't respond, and didn't have time too because soon Dale was walking in. "Ready to head out?" He asked, looking at them, only to halt when he saw them, realizing he just walked in on something. But then him and Ace made eye contact.

"Ace... you look awful. Are you alright?" He questioned, walking towards them.

Ace glanced over at Daryl who was looking right back down at her. Was he going to say something?

"Uh," Ace stuttered. "Uh, yeah, I'm.. I'm fine."

"You don't look fine..." Dale pointed out.

Ace attempted to flash him a small smile, to show him she was alright, but it was weak and forced. Usually Dale never was too hard on her. They seemed to get along. "No, I'm okay. Just tired... from the walkers," she attempted with the lie, glancing at Daryl again before back at Dale. She was expecting him to say something... but he didn't.

Dale nodded, letting her go. I guess the lie made sense... "Just take it easy, yeah? We're heading to the farm now."

Ace nodded as he placed a hand on her shoulder for a comforting gesture and then watched as he went to the drivers seat of the RV. She felt so sick and her heart was beating so fast. She thought Daryl was going to tell him.. or just do something she couldn't stop. She didn't know why he didn't...

She looked at him, but as soon as their eyes met he turned and looked away, heading out of the RV without another word.

Ace let out a breath, but has never felt more confused, or worried, in her life. She didn't know why Daryl didn't say anything and doesn't know if he plans to... Why wouldn't he?

She didn't know what to do. She either had to tell Daryl what it was or suffer the consequences of him. Neither were options she could handle. Both would get her kicked out of the group, at least. Or even worse.

Maybe it was time she left. She wanted to stay longer, look for Sophia, she really did. But she's at Jeopardy with the group. And now that they've found this farm, the group can do better than she would at looking for Sophia.

She was going to leave anyway. Before she got too attached, before they found out...

Maybe this farm is the perfect chance to slip away.
♠ ♠ ♠
I posted another chapter just now before this, so if youre confused, go back and read that one first! I had this written so I thought I'd update.

More frequent updates coming!!

What do you think?