Status: update as much as I can:)

The Sharpest Lives

Your Loss

Ace arrived back at their camp and agitated scowl on her face, almost resembling the one Daryl had on only minutes ago. She saw that people were getting up now, some eating a quick breakfast. Shane was one of those people, his eyes glued harshly to her as she walked by, which Ace didn't fail to notice. He probably was wondering why she was still here.. Hell, even she was wondering that.

"Ace," Rick got up from sitting on a lawn chair by the burnt out fire pit and went to catch up with her. Everyone at camp had thought she left, some even a little afraid that she was hiding just to come out and hurt them or steal from them. But, Rick noticed her dripping wet hair. "Went for a swim?" He was now standing in front of Ace.

She just nodded, letting one of her hands grip onto the strap of her backpack. "Next time I would like if you told someone, we don't need people running off, especially people we don't know that could be a threat," he put his hands on his hips, his eyes trying to bore into hers. Well, she thought that he trusted her.. He was the one that invited her to stay. It was understandable, though, but he seemed weird saying it, so she was sure he probably was just saying it for the group.

Ace could tell just by speaking to him that he was leader, which she didn't like. She didn't like how he thought she was the boss of her, when she wasn't part of his group. She also thought that this man wasn't well adjusted enough to the world, that he didn't realize the impact of what was happening. For starters, there is no police force anymore. No reason to wear his get up. Also, from what she could tell his emotions were always at stake, always worn on his sleeves, easy to read. You make impartial decisions when your angry, or sad, or over protective. Which he was. He wasn't a bad man, though. He was kind, loyal, and very generous to let her stay the night, even if he had handcuffed Merle to a roof, which she couldn't place why he would to that.

"Would you like something to eat? We have some fish left over from last night." Ace squinted her eyes at him, but didn't have to say anything before he led her over to the people surrounding the fire. "Have a seat if you'd like," Rick said, going over to pick up an old dish that had chunks of fish in it. Ace looked around and saw the mass amount of dead biter bodies lying around, but they dragged them away from where they were sitting far enough, even though it did still reek. She also noticed that the blonde girl she saw last night was still sitting over a dead body, which was terribly heart breaking. And then, Ace saw that the only open seat was one right next to Shane, which looked like they had pulled out of an old car. Ace grew even more uncomfortable, not really ever enjoying being around a whole group, especially if she didn't know them, but also if she was sitting next to the guy who just tried to attack her.

She also found that people were all watching her, confused why it was taking her so long to move, but as soon as she took a hesitant step forward, out of nowhere Daryl came over and sat in the seat she was going to with a huff.

Ace didn't even see him follow her back, but she just did her best to ignore him while angrily gnawing on her lip and then moving across from where she was standing. She set her backpack down on the ground and took her gun and put it inside, so it was resting on the top, before she sat.. The silence from the group was awkward and tense enough that it could be cut with a knife.

Rick leaned over, handing her a small tin that he put her serving in and a fork, then sitting back down next to his family. Or what Ace assumed to be his family; a petite dark haired woman and a little boy that couldn't be older than elementary school. Ace actually did catch his eye and she gave him a warm smile, being in the presence of kids always seemed to make her feel better.

Which was another reason she wished she could just find her sister already. Frankie was still very young, but she was smart and was Ace's best friend, who she missed uncontrollably.

Ace sighed and started picking at her fish, trying to ignore the completely awkward silence from the group. "Uh.. So Ace.. you from around here?" Ace looked up, barely recognizing the voice as Glenn's, the Asian boy she met last night, asking the same question she was asked last night by T-dog. She had noticed that Glenn himself is just an awkward, shy person, but she didn't mind, she was a lot like that too, but not so noticeably. Ace just kept quiet, that was her trait. She was always the one that kept to herself, but had a million things going on in her head, much like now when all she did was nod, paying more attention to her fish than the eyes on her.

She did manage to see Glenn nod as well, then awkwardly play with his food. "..Cool.. You came from the city.. Were you there long?"

At this point Ace was becoming more and more uncomfortable. Everybody had stopped what they were doing and looked up at her intently, eyes boring into her, making her flesh feel like it was on fire. Except for Daryl, he was still looking down, but Ace could tell he was listening intently. "No."

Ace looked up now, scanning around the group, even meeting the eyes of who she assumed was Rick's son, "woah, what's with your eyes?" He asked.

"Carl! You don't just ask people those things, apologize," The petite woman said, his mother. Fuck, could it get anymore awkward?

"....Sorry," Carl bowed his head down for a moment.

"It's okay," Ace said with a slight smile, making the boy look up at her and smile warmly back.

Everyone was very curious to what was wrong with her eyes, even Daryl was looking up more now to see if she was going to respond, but it just put Ace on edge. That woman had just said it was rude, but really she only said that to be polite... everyone else was just afraid to ask.

Ace's eyes ended up meeting the older man, Dale's, and thank god for him sensing her complete uncomfortable-ness and anxiety. "Well, I guess we should get started on these bodies.. Burn the dead ones," he sat up, and gave Ace a slight nod, making her breathe out in thankfulness.

Everyone else silently agreed and stood up, putting away their eating stuff. Ace followed what everyone else did and walked over to Dale, "uh, thanks," she tried to smile at him.

"Not a problem, dear.. They can be a little bit.. much," he chuckled to him self, which Ace tried to do as well.

She nodded in agreement, "I'll help with the bodies."

Dale sent her his thanks, the groups as well, and then Ace went over to start dragging the dead biter bodies to the fire they had just built up real big. She thought she might as well help these people since they gave her a place to sleep and food.

People were now chattering to each other a lot more now, but it wasn't the happiest of chatter, since they were dragging some of their dead group members around.. Ace tried her best to only move the ones that looked too gross to be one of their group, not feeling it was really her place to do so, since she never knew them. She was getting pretty lucky with that, Glenn nor T-dog didn't say anything when she dragged one by one over to them. They were the ones burning all the biter bodies.

After a few bodies Ace was already sweating a lot, completely forgetting about her cool swim only a little while ago, the hot Georgia sun now baking her skin. Just thinking about how hot it was made Ace thirsty, so after dropping her last body over, she went to her bag and pulled out one of her water bottles, taking a drink. While she did so she saw all the women sitting in the chairs still, sweating as much as she was, but not laying a finger on one of the bodies.

Ace went to turn around, but slammed into someone as she did, spilling the water over the both of them a little. "Would ya watch where ya fuckin goin?" He snapped, "dumb bitch," Daryl gave her the harshest look he could muster up and walked off again, rubbing at the wet spot on his shirt, even if it did feel nice and cool. Ace scoffed, wondering if he knew any other insult than the word 'bitch' and twisted the cap back on her water. She didn't feel like being angry at him, or even embarrassed for running into him.

But, she did let her eyes follow him for a minute. He had a pick ax swinging in his hand, heading over to where Rick was standing near her. He also looked as dirty and sweaty as she did, but in his sleeveless shirt, he looked a lot better than her.

"Y'all can't be serious, let that girl hamstring us? That dead girls a time bomb," Daryl said, moving on in conversations. Ace bent down to her back, taking as much time as she could to put her water away so she could eavesdrop. "And what do you suggest?" Rick argued.

"Take the shot. Clean, in the brain, from here. Hell, I can hit a turkey 'tween the eyes from this distance," Daryl pointed over to the two blonde girls.

"No. For god sake's let her be," Rick's wife interjected, ending that conversation. She must be the queen bee or something, the way she talked sounded like she thought that of herself.. Probably because her husbands the leader.

"An' what 'bout her?" Daryl asked, this time his voiced hushed down a level, but still making Ace stop what she was doing. She new he was pointing to her. "She with us now? Or we just draggin her around like a lost puppy?"

"She doesn't seem like a threat," Dale argued.

"Ya an' how do we know tha'? We don't no anythin about her," Daryl countered.

"She helped us with the walkers last night and is doing the same today... Dale's right; she doesn't seem like a threat and looks like she can use a weapon.. It's up to her," Rick added. Ace was surprised with this, and that Daryl didn't say anything snotty or "stupid bitch", he just backed up, going back to his work with a snort. So Ace did the same, minus the snort, even though she found him unfair.

She already knew that she was going to be leaving soon enough, so she wouldn't have to worry about that agitating redneck again. Merle wasn't even this bad as he was, and he was a high flirt! She hasn't even been here for 24 hours and Daryl was already jumping on his chance to get under her skin when she hasn't done anything but help them. Whatever, she'll be out of his hair by tonight so no need to stress on it.

"Hey! Whoa, whoa, whoa, what are you guys doing?" Glenn said, catching Ace's attention. She looked to the side, halting from picking up another dead body to see what was going on. "This is for geeks. Our people go over there," Glenn pointed to the pile across from him.

"What's the difference, they're all infected?" Daryl said, a little too rudely than something that would have sat well with Ace. She didn't even feel right burning the biters in the first place, so she completely understood Glenn getting upset. "Our people go in the row over there," Glenn stated again, his voice cracking. Both Daryl and the man he was dragging with stopped to look up at him. "We don't BURN THEM!.. We bury them, understand?" It was not hard to tell Glenn was close to tears, and it made Ace feel bad.

There was an awkward silence yet again lingering over the camp, everyone silently watching what was going on. But, people started to go back to their business when they moved the body away from the fire, sweat glistening off their skin. Ace still kept her eyes following them, squinting from the sun and from concentration, surprised that Daryl didn't snap something back, and half expecting him to do so. She really can read people well, and she knew Daryl's type.. He was an asshole on the outside, layered with many levels of different emotions, but the only one he knows and is comfortable to show is anger. Which has to be why he's such a dick, right?

Or Ace was all wrong and he just enjoys putting people down under. But, if she was right, she felt bad for him. He lost his brother, and she knew what it was like to not know if your siblings alive, and in order for him to shield himself this much something must have happened. But, right now she was mostly just annoyed with him.

"You reap what ya soe," Daryl said. Ahh, she knew it. But, also didn't understand it.

"Shut up man," the other man snarked.

"Y'all left my brother for dead! You had this comin!" He yelled, pointing at the dead bodies and storming off. So thats what it's about? He knew they handcuffed his brother on a roof and is still here? Still helping them? Why would they do that in the first place? Ace was beyond curious. But also was thinking if she should tell Daryl she found Merle... She lost him again anyways, so it's not like it would do any good, and it's not like she really wants to go out of her way to tell this guy. He'll just get mad and be a dick to her again, something she does not want.

She did want to know why they left Merle in the first place. So, she got up from her crouched position and walked over to Dale who was now standing near the RV, keeping some sort of watch. She felt more comfortable asking him because he had helped her out already, and because he sort of reminded her of her grandfather. She always felt more comfortable around older people or kids, completely excluding her own age group, which probably wasn't the best thing.

Dale gave her a warm smile when she walked over, letting his rifle lean against his lap. "Sorry about your camp," she said, her voice in a shy mumble.

"Thank you," he gave her a small, sad smile. "We lost a lot of people," he looked toward the two blonde girls. Ace wondered if he was close with them..

She nodded, "Daryl's brother one of them?" She asked, pretending she didn't know, but knowing that Dale heard Daryl's little out burst.

"No... Merle w-"

"What 'bout Merle?" That southern accent snapped out. Ace cringed slightly at it, this being the last thing she wanted, her luck was sucking lately. Neither Daryl nor Ace said anything, so Daryl who was behind them came in front. "You got somethin' to say, old man?" He hissed and Ace's fists clenched a little, Daryl noticing and him turning to her. "Why don' ya just mind ya own fuckin business and go back to where you came from, huh?" he sneered, this time looking directly at her. What the hell did she ever do to him? She barely took a small step forward, leaning into him with her eyes sharp to his, as if daring him to say something like that again, even though he really just made her want to back away.. But, he was also making her so angry by being rude to Dale, a nice man who did nothing, and to her as well. He can't just get away with being mean to everyone? He's like a child that makes him self feel better with the satisfaction of pissing other people off.

She saw Daryl hesitate, one of the reasons she loved her eyes. They were weapons. But, Daryl soon scoffed, returning the harsh glare before turning around, finding it amusing that Ace was getting mad and trying to play off what was in his mind. "Don't mind Daryl.. he'll warm up to you," Dale said to her. Ace just sighed and gave Dale a slight nod, heading back over to her bodies to drag.

"Guys! It's Jim! A walker got him! A walker bit Jim!" A woman from the middle of camp cried out. Maybe everyone thought Ace was a threat because they just haven't been introduced to her? She really only knows a few peoples names.

Her attention was now on high alert of the man named Jim, even if she was lingering in the back of the group while everyone circled around him, not feeling comfortable. This wasn't her business. But, she did see Daryl come up and yank up his shirt to reveal a bite, then pace around while running a hand through his hair afterwards. Maybe they were friends?

"I'm okay. I'm okay. I'm okay.. I'm okay..." The man, Jim, kept repeating. It sounded like he was trying to convince himself more than anyone else. But, everyone knows what happens when you are bit, you get sick.. You turn into one of those monsters and have to be put down.. And Ace hated that. She watched as the whole group looked at Jim with sadness and even she felt bad for these people..

*

"What if the CDC still up 'nd running?" This caught Ace's attention.

She was minding her own business, sharpening her knife while the rest of this group was in a circle talking about what to do with Jim, her not being part of that. But, she did want to be now if they were thinking about going to the CDC. She didn't know how big the chance was, but there was a possibility Frankie could be there, and with these people she could catch a ride..

Rick and Shane starting arguing lightly again, which only supported the idea that Ace had about them having problems, and from what she could tell Shane was the one at loss. "Shelter, protection, rescue..." Rick argued, but all Ace could here was 'Frankie'. "Rick, I know you want those things, I- I do too, okay? Now if they exist, they're at the army base, Fort Benning," Shane countered.

Now this had Ace standing up, walking over. Two places where Frankie might be. Two places that could both very easily be up and protected, even though Ace felt like they would have a better shot at Fort Benning. They were an army base, and if anyone is going to stay up its going to be a branch of the army or military, or anything like that. She knew how locked and loaded bases like those could be, and they had the perfect amount of protection if the base was yet to be overrun.

As Shane went on giving reasons to go to Fort Benning, which were completely good points, Ace caught Dale's eye. "Ace?" Dale asked, catching her by surprise, "do you have a say on anything?" Everyone looked over at Ace and she knew what they were thinking, 'she's not part of this group' 'it's not her say' 'she wont know anything.' But, she did have some information about the army base, and Dale knew that she was looking for her little sister. She didn't like the amount of eyes on her, but stepped forward anyways.. If she wanted to catch a ride with these people, she needed to convince them. "Where's Fort Benning at?" She knew the general area, but she also knew another military base was close by as well.

"100 miles South from here," Shane responded. Ace wasn't on good terms with Shane, but right now he was the only one making sense. Ace also did the calculations in her head. She stayed in contact with some of her buddies from the Marine's and even a few who had transferred to the Army, and lets just say she made some calls as soon as she heard about the outbreak. She had some information. "Down by Columbus?" She questioned, wheels turning.

"Yeah, about so," everyone looked at her with curiosity. Fuck, if it was up to her she would have taken this group and driven their asses up there as soon as she thought of it. That was their best chance. "Fort Benning... That's your best chance," she stated, ignoring the uncomfortable looks she was getting. For some this was the first time she really talked.

"Where does her say come into this?" A woman with very short gray hair standing next to Rick asked very quietly, and rudely. "Yeah, this is nobody's deal, but ours," Rick's wife added along side.. Ace was just giving these people some helpful advice. She let out a sigh and held back a scoff before rolling her eyes and going to turn back around. If these people were gona give her crap about her helping, then she didn't need to put up with giving it to them. Their loss.

Before she turned around she did catch a nod from Shane.

"She could have had something helpful to say," she heard Dale say. She liked Dale. And maybe she would have to learn to like others for the time being if she was going to catch a ride with them to the CDC or Fort Benning.. Hopefully it wont be for too long since people aren't her specialty and tend to only bring her down, but she'll do whatever to find Frankie again..
♠ ♠ ♠
Kind of a random title? Idk I couldn't think of one ;p

Woo yay knew chapter! (And another one in the works)
I'm sorry it's taking so long for me to update, but I am on Thanksgiving break right now, so I'm going to try to keep a good flow going! Especially now that were on a good part in season 1 of the show!!

What do you guys think so far? Ace changing her mind about leaving right away to 'catch a ride' with the group? Do you think she will stay for long after? What about the things shes not telling them? And Daryl being an asshole?
I'm also thinking about for this story to make some developments on other characters that I didn't with Wake The Dead... Like I'm going to try and show a good side to characters I showed a bad side to or just characters I really didn't mention a lot at all.. so basically just giving Ace new friends:p

I hope you all are enjoying! I lovee youuu!!