Loved You Then

henry

"I know people change and these things happen, but I remember how it was back then."
Present Day

"Harry today is going to consist of you reading to the children and helping the teacher with the lesson," my publicist, Jeanine, told me.

The driver, Martin, pulled into the driveway of Burmingham's Private Primary Academy. The tree-lined road passed and passed for ages before finally ending in a cup-de-sac like entrance. Reporters and paparazzi already beat us here, as they set up all throughout the lawn.

"Now, there will be lots of media there so behave," Jeanine said, "You won't be alone. Abigail will be there."

Before I could say anything, Martin pulled to a stop in front of the door. Flashes of cameras could be seen through the darkly-tinted windows of the car. Everyone yelled "Harry!" Trying to get my attention. I gave waves and smiles to everyone as I got out of the backseat. Jeanine totted behind me, along with Ronnie, my bodyguard.

My entourage and I walked up the cobblestone stairs, where several police kept the press away from us. Two guards opened the doors to inside the school. Once inside, I saw the all too familiar blonde hair and vibrant smile.

"Good morning, everyone," I said with a smile. All conversations stopped and gave their attention to me.

Except her.

Abigail Sheehan looked around the foyer with an awkward look on her face. Trying to not make eye contact, I scratched the back of my neck and looked down at the floor.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Harry," the principal- whose name I can't remember- said to me. She shook my hand and smiled. "I'm Elaine Davenport, the principal here at the Academy. The children are very excited to meet you."

I could hardly pay attention to what she was saying. I watched Abigail out of the corner of my eye. She looked the same. She still had the same pale skin, straight hair, and thin frame. I watched her as she looked down at the floor, then at Elaine, then around the room.

"Harry, will you accompany me to read to the young children?" Elaine asked. I nodded and followed her down the hallway into the gymnasium.

____________________


"I miss you."

"Harry. Don't."

"Can we try again?"

"No."

I put my head back on the headrest. Sighing loudly, I turned my phone off and put it back in my pocket. We haven't spoken in six months, and every day I regret letting her go.

She wasn't royalty, but she was very wealthy. Her father was the head corporate of some equestrian business. We met at a polo match seventeen years ago when we were young. We became close, and eventually started dating. Then I met Chelsy, and it all went downhill there.

Then, I broke up with Chelsy, and everything went back to normal. Until March 16, 2013, I fucked it all up.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like this one.
Comment|Subscribe|Recommend