Loved You Then

abigail

"How'd we end up this way? See me nervously pulling at my clothes and trying to look busy."
The loud voices in the cafeteria circled around me, making my head spin. I was happy being around these kids, but there was so much tension in the air that you could cut it with a knife. Over in the corner, Harry was sitting at a small table with five or six kids. He was too big for the chair, and his knees were taller than the table.

As soon as he caught my gaze, I broke the stare. I pulled at the hem of my blazer, over and over again. My friend, Della, noticed my awkward lip-biting and patted me on my tense shoulder.

"You aren't over him," she said. I nodded my head nervously.

"Yes I am," I lied. Well, that was only a half lie. I was over him, until now.

Della raised her eyebrow. "You do realize that you two are going to see each other a lot now, right?"

Shit.

The school bell rang, signalling lunch was over, and time for us to go home. Della and I walked out of the cafeteria into the linoleum floors and painted brick walls of the hallway. It was quite chilly for a September afternoon.

Outside was different. Upon opening the exit, cameras flashed and the media yelled. My family wasn't royalty, but we sure were known around Britain. My father was the creator of one of the top-selling bookstores in the UK. We were basically the Barnes and Noble of England. To add to that, you get to be pretty well known when you're the ex-girlfriend of Prince Harry of Wales.

We walked through all the paparazzi and to our car across the way. The chilly air gave me a shiver. I quickly got into the back seat and into the warm Bentley. My father and mother were in the front seat.

I saw the doors open and Harry walk onto the stone porch, with Elaine and another teacher on either side of him. It broke my heart to see him again. After six months, I thought I would be over him.

We drove farther away from the school, down the dirt road, and back into everyday life. I took a deep breath of relief that I wouldn't have to see Harry again, and that I'd be able to go back to normal.

Then, my phone vibrated.
♠ ♠ ♠
This horrendous layout is only temporary.
Comment|Subscribe|Recommend