Status: who knows where we will go...

Can You Save Me Now?

I Almost Didn't Care

I thrum my fingers on the wheel, buzzing with excitement. It's been two weeks since Molly went to that party, and I couldn't help but feel that I was wasting time. I looked out my window to her house, but she still hadn't emerged. I then glanced at my clock and sighed, hitting the back of my head against my headrest. It'd only been five minutes.

I pull my hands off of the wheels and search my pockets, nearly panicking to find them empty before I refer to my coat pocket, where the small box is stored away. I allow myself to breathe. I'm dressed in a suit, feeling nearly choked by the collar and tie. My hair is combed, and I put on my best cologne. I told Molly Marie to dress up, and as far as she knows, we're going on a picnic.

"Hold on, Carter!"

My heart felt so loud, I wondered if she could hear it from where she stood on the doorstep. Molly wore a knee-length yellow dress that billowed about her, a jean jacket, and black flats. Her hair was pulled into a long ponytail, and she wore a smile that won it all. Including my love.

She turned to look back into the house, calling for someone. Demetri? Who's Demetri?

I crane my neck to see who comes out the door, and out steps a boy that towers over her much smaller stature. He looks at her the way I think I do, the way that someone looks at the person they love. I wipe my sweaty hands on my pants, frowning. Who's this guy, all of the sudden? Why was he with her, just before our date?

I take a deep breath and try to reason with myself. He must be a cousin, or a protective older brother, or something. There's gotta be some sort of explanation besides...

"Carter, this is my friend Demetri." Molly said as she hopped into the front seat, Demetri climbing into the back. The ring box began to burn a hole into my pocket.

"Hey, uh," I cleared my throat, trying not to sound upset. "I thought this was our date."

Molly Marie batted her eyelashes innocently, and I wasn't sure if she was looking at me like that purposely. "You said that it was just a picnic, right? Demetri won't be a bother." She turned in her seat to look at her new friend. "Right?"

Demetri grinned at her. "Absolutely."

"...fine."

We get to the park, and the sun is looking to set in about an hour. Everything is perfect. The picnic is set up, we have the area to ourselves... just one problem. Demetri. I only brought servings of each food for two, so I claimed that I wasn't hungry. Demetri happily dug into my portions, talking to Molly Marie with his mouth full. I rolled my eyes. Molly bumped my shoulder.

"Why the long face?"

"Long day." I shrug meaninglessly.

"School?" Demetri asks, looking at me over his half-eaten sandwich.

I shrug again. Molly beams as an ice cream man goes by, touching my wrist. My heart leaps, even though she's just asking for some ice cream. I nod and get up, only then remembering that I left my wallet in the car. "I'll be right back," I say, and jog to the car.

I pick up my coat (which proved too hot to wear) that was sitting on the driver's seat and dig through my pockets. I come up first with the ring box, and stare at it for a long moment. I glance back, only to see Demetri and Molly Marie crowding around the portable ice cream stand. They pull back, each holding a drumstick -- Demetri pockets his wallet.

Looking back at the box, I grunt as I stuff it into the glove compartment, not bothering to think that I was placing it right by my girlfriend's phone. I wasn't giving up, I told myself. Now just... wasn't the right time. And that happened a lot, right? A guy could think that today was the day, but it really wasn't. It could be tomorrow, or next month. Right now just wasn't the right time, not with him here.

I grab my wallet just for the sake of coming back with what I left for, though I felt my shoulders get heavier with each step. They were laughing together animatedly, and I wondered if she ever laughed that much, that easily, with me. I try to act normal when I plop down on the blanket.

"Oh, oh," Molly nearly choked, trying to stop laughing. Was it because I was here now? Demetri sure looked amused. "Demmy got me an ice cream, so it's okay! But you can get yourself one."

I stare at the two of them for a long moment, but apparently, I'm covering up my anger pretty well, because they don't seem to notice. "That's fine, I'm not hungry."

"Hey, I just sent you a text," Demetri said, and Molly searched her pockets before realizing that she left it in the car.

"Can't you just show me?" When the English teen shook his head, a smile pulling at his lips, Molly bound to her feet. "I'll go get it!"

As she left, I almost didn't care that I left the ring box right beside her phone in the glove compartment.