Status: who knows where we will go...

Can You Save Me Now?

Not Before Noticing

God, she was so freaking beautiful. Molly Marie sat against me on the couch, her cheek on my shoulder as I read. We passed the time by reading children's books, but at one point, I put down Rapunzel and turned to her, telling the story my own way. She watched me, fascinated.

"Rapunzel so, so needed someone to save her. Now, she wasn't helpless. In fact, she was incredibly strong. She was beautiful, and creative, and wonderful. She just didn't know it, right, because no one was there to tell her so. So this guy comes along and they go on an adventure. At first they don't like each other very much, because she's a lady and he's a scoundrel. But as time goes on, they discover that they both need someone to save them from themselves. They need to be told how great they are, that they're loved. So they do. He helps her find her real parents, not that old hag that visited the tower, and then leaves.

"But he never, ever stops thinking about her. Not a day goes by that Rapunzel and her lovely locks are on his mind. So, one day, he goes back to her kingdom. Since the guards won't let a scoundrel into the castle, he scales the building and climbs through the window. He finds her in the library, doing what she always loved -- reading. He recognized the title as The Fault in Our Stars, and said the first quote from it that came to mind. 'That's the thing about pain, it demands to be felt.'

"Rapunzel spun around, and oh, she was so so happy. She flung her arms around him, and they kissed, exchanging words that expressed their love. They got married, and lived happily ever after. They found their own saviors."

Molly Marie smiled, lying back on my shoulder. I wrapped an arm around her, holding her close. I swear, I've never been so happy.

"Well," she finally stood up, brushing the nonexistent dust off of her pants. "I've got to go get ready. Carter and I are going on a picnic."

I tried not to frown. "Carter?"

"Yeah, my boyfriend." After a moment's hesitance, she sat back down, facing me with her legs folded under her. "We had a fight two weeks ago, and since then, things have felt really awkward. Like, he's almost desperate to keep me in his sight like I'm gonna go get myself killed or something. He's been really clingy and really doting, and it's gotten kinda weird, you know?"

I nodded, even though I really didn't know.

"So, um, yeah. I thought he would get better after a while, but that hasn't happened yet."

"Would... you want me to come with you?"

She raised a questioning brow.

"I-I mean, on the picnic. It'll m-make it less awkward, a-and that way I can kinda be your wingman. I-if you need me, that is."

Molly Marie smiled a little, that brilliant, lovely, heartthrob smile of hers. She nodded, throwing her arms around me and pulling me into a big hug. I could hardly breathe. "Yes, yes, thank you so much Demetri."

"A-are you sure I won't b-be intruding, though?"

She pulled away and thought about it for less than a second. "It's just a picnic, no big deal."

Carter didn't seem very happy to see me. She told me about how he was so protective of her, but I think that possessive would be the better term. I tried to make small talk, as did she, but most of it was brushed off.

I pulled out my phone while he talked to Molly Marie, sending Molly's phone a text. She left it in the car, in the glove compartment, I think. Either way, I wanted her to know. I turned to her, trying to be casual. At this point I felt more relaxed, and wasn't stuttering at much... hopefully I wouldn't start again now.

"Hey," I said, "I just sent you a text."

After a little more prodding, she laughed and made her way to the car. I thought that Carter may get up to follow, but he stayed in his spot. Right now, he was laid across the blanket, his eyes closed and hands folded behind his head.

I was about to say something when Carter interrupted: "Don't."

I wasn't altogether sure what he meant, but I got enough of the hint to do what I was pretty sure he didn't want me to do. I got up, and followed Molly Marie to the car. I jogged to catch up, accomplishing this just as she opened the glove compartment. She grabbed her phone, but not before noticing the ring box in the glove compartment.

...OH.
♠ ♠ ♠
From Demetri's point of view, enjoy!