Get Your Spy On

Get Your Spy On Chapter 5

Get Your Spy On

Chapter 5

Sloane’s POV

Getting ready for the spy dinner was difficult since my mom and sister didn’t know where Dad and I were going. There’s absolutely no reason why I’d be wearing a dress, and dad would be wearing suit and tie. It was also difficult trying to find a dress by myself when I have zero fashion sense. I wear my jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers and I’m ready to go. I went to a clothing store not far from my house. It caught my eye as I was driving to the spy breakfast with the rest of my team. It’s a tiny tacky dress shop, but I figured it’d be good enough to find an okay dress.

When I got there, a girl with bright red hair appeared out of the dressing room, wearing a black t-shirt with the stores logo on it. “Hi, Sloane! I’m in your algebra class, I sit behind you.”

I don’t remember her, but I smile at her anyways. “Hey. I’m looking for a dress that’s sort of fancy, but not over the top at the same time. It’s a dinner, but it’s a black tie kind of affair.”

The redhead thought thoughtfully for a minute, then snapped her fingers in triumph. She turns to the girl whose working the cash register and speaks loudly to her, “Hey, Gretchen! Do you think that dark blue silk dress that has the diamonds on it is too over the top for her?”

Gretchen, a girl with long brown hair thought for a moment. “Well, it’s for people who are tall. No offense to your friend or anything, but she’s kind of short.”

The redhead nodded her head, the wheels turning in her head. “Sloane go into the dressing room and I’ll pick out some dresses for you.”

She ushered me into the dressing room, then started singing as loud as she could to the music playing in the shop. I grabbed my phone and checked the time. Okay, so it’s four thirty and we have to leave at six. I’m cutting it very close. I’ll just pick any outfit and then I’ll just wear it. It’s no big deal if I look good in it or not.

Four dresses appeared over the top of the dressing room door. I grabbed them and studied them carefully. Almost all of them are pink, and I know for a fact pink, magenta, baby pink, rosebud, or any pink color doesn’t look good on me. I grab the yellow dress and slip it on awkwardly. I look at myself in the mirror inside the dressing room and look at it. It has flowers all over it , making me feel like one of the Barbie dolls I had when I was a kid. I tried on three more dresses before understanding why I hate dress shopping so much. I heard Gretchen and the girl from my school sighing and whispering about what else they could give me, and eventually they gave me a dark green silk dress and a light purple dress.

“Those are the last two,” Gretchen called out, a hint of annoyance in her voice. She could very well not have a paying customer if one of these two dresses doesn’t work. I tried on the purple dress, discarding it after I saw the big bow on it. I mean why do you ruin a dress by adding a humongous bow that makes you look like your butt is huge? I take the dark green dress and try it on reluctantly. I don’t see a lot of girls wearing green dresses; they mostly wear pink or black. I look at it in the mirror, exhaling the air I sucked in while I tried it on. I like it. It’s simple, but yet it has a little pattern on the bottom of the dress, making it look elegant. There’s clear straps to put on as well if you’re not comfortable wearing it strapless. I immediately put the straps on and feel myself slightly sway with it on.

I walk out of the dressing room and look at the redhead and Gretchen curiously. “What do you guys think of it?”

“Well the main part is I don’t think anybody will be wearing that color,” the redhead said, bouncing on the balls of her feet. “I love the color on you since you’re already unique as it is. Don’t give me that look, its true!”

“I like it,” Gretchen offers, coming back with matching shoes. I slide them on, knowing the purchase is the right one. I bought it, but I left it on, figuring I have to leave right now anyways. I wave good-bye to them, and head on home.

When I get home I see dad already dressed, his eyes adverting from my car to mom suspiciously. When I get out I walk up to him quickly. “What’s wrong? Is mom and Sandy suspicious?”

Both my dad and I walked inside the house, making as little noise as we could. “Yes, they don’t understand why they weren’t invited. I said it was a father daughter outing, and since you know the kids there, I picked you instead of Sandy.”

“Oh boy,” I said, slapping my head with my hand. I hurry upstairs and put a green barrette in my bun and hurry out the door before mom and Sandy knew I was home.

We both got into dads car. It was weird how we’ve become closer lately, but not close enough where I can forget that he puts drugs in mom and Sandy’s drinks when they aren’t looking. The dinner is at this high class ballroom that the Alpha rented out for all the spies to see each other. I’m not going to lie, I’m sort of nervous, but at the same time I’m excited to see Alex and Eric again.

When we got there, we parked our car in the spot where it says “Hank.” I look at it, then look at dad quizzically. “Who’s Hank?”

“Code name for Adams. If we have some party crashers, we want to make sure they don’t know whose car is whose.”

Dad and I got out of the car and walked into the ballroom, both of us getting a generous amount of stares. They all must be newbie’s compared to the other people who aren’t staring. We sit down in our seats which have cards with the name Hanks on them. Across from me two tables over Alex, Ben, Mr. Dover, and Eric just got seated. They haven’t noticed me yet, but they’re looking around curiously.

“Their a little eager aren’t they?” Dad commented, eyeing them. “It’s not very professional, to look around like that. We’re supposed to act content, not like a wild animal that’s in the city.”

I don’t know what that’s supposed to mean, but I tear my eyes away from my spy group and back to our table. It’s a long cherry wood table consisting of twenty to thirty of us. My dad is sitting on my right, and to my left I’ll be sitting with Tim and Sherry. I smiled instantly when I saw them both enter the room. I wanted to jump up and hug both of them, but something’s telling me that dad wouldn’t be too happy if I did.

Sherry sat down next to me and gave me a warm smile. Nobody was mingling, instead they all looked quietly at the podium on the far left of the ballroom. I heard the sound of heavy footsteps, then a clear of the throat.

“Hello, spies,” the Alpha said, looking at each of us intensely. “Every year we pick a new spy squad that consists of four teenagers that can range from fourteen to eighteen. This year we are happy to announce that we are adding two new girl spies to the family. We haven’t welcomed a new girl spy in about three years!”

Everyone laughed politely. Dad looked bored, and almost everyone else looked tense. It’s like this guy sucks up all the life in the room and uses it for himself. The Alpha cleared his throat, and continued talking. “Furthermore, I will announce the four new spies in the order they shall serve in.”

He rustled a paper, opened it, then cleared all the crinkles in the paper. He coughed dramatically, then called out the first name, “Wendy Pierce!”

There was clapping, then Wendy appeared from nowhere and started making her way to the podium. Her black hair falling down her back in ripples, and her blood red dress trailing behind her as she walked. It was a lot fancier than the rest of the dresses here. She smiled at all of the spies, but I could tell she was gritting her teeth.

The Alpha cleared his throat and called off the next name. “Alex Dover!”

There was a bigger applause for Alex than there was for Wendy. He got up, waved to a few people, then made his way to the podium looking slightly dorky. His suit looked like a tight fit, and his shoes were squeaking as he walked.

“And the second in command for this team is. . . Sloane Adams!”

I got up from my seat confidently and gave my dad a quick smile. I walked toward the podium, my heart racing as everybody stared at me. I don’t like people watching my every move, it makes me feel like there’s toilet paper stuck to my shoe. My hands started clamming up as I stood next to Alex, a bright light shining in my face.

“The captain of this squad is none other than Eric Allen!”

Everyone went quiet in the room. Murmurs cascaded throughout the room, most of them wondering who he is. Eric got up from his seat reluctantly, then walked toward us, his eyes on the floor. I nudge Dover, then started clapping. He followed along, whistling as well.

“Thanks,” Eric whispered to me and Alex as he stood next to us.

The Alpha each shook our hands roughly, nearly ripping my arm out of my socket. Wendy didn’t wince, instead she shook just as rough. He turned back to the spies in the ballroom, and clapped his hands loudly, “These four are very talented! I want you all to give them your warmest welcome, and help them along their way to the top!”

Everyone cheered and clapped as if their lives depend on it. The Alpha walked away without even giving us a nod. We all glance at each other, then make our way back to our seats. Alex brushes his hand against mine before he sat back down next to Ben and his dad. Eric gives me a friendly hug, then follows Alex. I turn to Wendy, hoping she’d at least give me a good-bye, but instead she stared at me as if I had some sort of disease. She flounced off, her face red with anger. I wanted to follow her, but I just don’t have the heart to try and make peace with her.

I went back to my table, giving Sherry and Tim a quick smile. I don’t want them to know that my team is already starting to become distant with one and another. I know Wendy will tear us apart with her attitude, I just know it. Dad gave my shoulder a squeeze, then leaned in, whispering in a rush. “Watch out for Wendy, she has a mouth on her.”

I nodded my head, my eyes gazing to Wendy, who’s talking to her father, using lots of hand motions. Whatever it is, her dad looks like he’s going to explode with frustration. There was silence as everyone ate their food which arrived as the Alpha gave his speech about the new squad. It looked good, but something looked off in soup. Dad must’ve noticed it as well because he started smelling it curiously.

“The texture looks off,” I whispered to him, looking at my food with sudden distaste.

He nodded his head seriously, and before I could give out another word, somebody started screaming in pain a few rows ahead of us. Glass shattered everywhere, some of it grazing my skin. Dad grabbed my hand and ran toward one of the staircases that led to another level. I heard people screaming, then the shouts of the Alpha. Dad led me up to the top of the marble staircase, then looked at me, his eyes widening. “Get to our car and run!”

“But dad-“I start saying, but he already took off down the staircase. I whimper then start walking down the hallway, looking for a window to break.

I heard footsteps behind me. I quickened my pace, and silently prayed in my mind that nothing would happen to me. I heard the steps behind me start running, then the sound of a clicking noise going off. A gun?

I turn around and come face to face with a guy with shaggy blonde hair. A knife in his left hand, and a gun in the right hand. I gulped loudly, then started running for my life down the hall. An empty hallway, just containing paintings on the walls, some of them with prices on them. I saw a door at the end of the hallway. I closed my eyes for a moment, then opened my eyes with determination. I run full force toward the door, hoping that the door is unlocked. I grabbed the knob, and thanked God that the door easily opened. I slammed the door as hard as I could, and locked it. I knew it wouldn’t last long, but at least I have time to think. I heard him pounding on the door and trying to unlock it. Heart racing fast, I grabbed a chair inside the room and threw it at one of the windows. It shattered easily, making this situation nearly over. I walked over to the window, looking at the drop, gulping loudly.

I felt myself jump out of the window. The wind blew my hair out of the bun, my barrette flying away out of my reach. I landed gracefully on the ground, my heart still racing like a racing horse. I started running toward where we parked the car, but somebody grabbed me from behind and pulled me to the ground.

“AGH!” I scream as the person tried to put his weight on me. The person got on top of me and pointed a gun at my face, smiling in triumph. He wore a mask and baggy jeans, but nothing could contain the smile on his face. Right when he was about to pull the trigger, somebody behind him shot him right in the back. I rolled away from him before the dead guy fell on top of me.

I looked up and saw Alex staring at the gun in his hand, then the dead guy, shocked. I stood up, my legs surprisingly steady. He looked at me, his hand shaking uncontrollably.

“Are you guys okay?” Eric asks, running up to us, his eyes adverting from me to Alex. He looked at both of our faces, then he looked at the dead body on the ground. “Shit.”

We both nodded our heads, unable to think. Eventually Wendy found us, huffing and puffing loudly. “Why the heck are you guys out here?”

She looks at the dead body on the ground then back at us. “Is this why you three are shaking? It’s a dead body for crying out loud!”

She took the gun from Alex, then shot the dead body again. She rolled her eyes at us, then walked back inside the ballroom, taking Alex’s gun with her. Alex looked at us, and ran his hand through his hair. “So, what do we do with him?”

I laugh awkwardly and Eric coughs loudly. None of us are going to touch him, and none of us are going to take the mask off of him either. I heard the sound of a gun, then I felt something being pushed into my head.

Eric took out a knife in his back pocket and stared at the dude for a moment, his eyes widening. “Don’t do it!”

I kick the person behind me in between the legs, then turned around to grab the gun falling in midair. I held it to the guys face, feeling calm and in control all of a sudden. It was the same guy who chased me upstairs. Eric ran to me and took the gun out of my hand. I looked at him, shocked. “What are you doing?”

“This,” he said, pointing to the guy on the ground, “Is my friend.”

“What?” Alex and I said together.

I glanced at him, then back at his friend, not sure what to do. “So . . . you’re friends with a dude who wants to kill us?”

“It’s not like that,” Eric’s friend said in a rushed tone, his legs scrunched up to his chest. “My whole family is secret agents. I became one so I wouldn’t look like a burden in the family. Trust me, I don’t want to kill any of you.”

I took the gun out of Eric’s hand and point it at him. “Then why did you try to kill me?”

“Because I was sent out to get Eric. When he said he didn’t want me to take him, I told him I’d have to take a girl then. He told me to take you instead of Wendy.”

I turn the gun from the guy to Eric, surprised and hurt. “Why would you tell him to take me over Wendy? I’ve been nothing but nice to you, Eric. Wendy hasn’t done anything nice for you!”

“I-I-I-I didn’t know you at the time when I said it,” Eric protested, his face flushing a deep red. “After I met you I asked him to not take you either.”

Eric looked at his friend, his eyebrows making a V. “We agreed that you’d take me if this didn’t work out, so why did you still go for Sloane?”

“Because when they got more details about your squad, they wanted her instead of you! What am I going to do, die for her?”

Alex stepped in, glaring at Eric. “After I let you into my family, offering you a place to stay if you ever need one and the thanks I get for that is you trying to bid us off to the enemies?”

Eric looked helplessly from me to Alex. “Come on guys! We’re a team, a team has to forgive and forget. It’s not my fault if Bryan couldn’t say no to his parents.”

“I could have died because of you!” I yell at him angrily. “You were too much of a wimp to get taken by your friend so much you were willing to sacrifice your team in the making. Some leader you are.”

I threw the gun at him angrily. Just for good measures I kick his friend on the ground roughly, then went to find my father. All the bad guys have left, leaving all the spies to gather around to see whose missing.

“Where’s my dad?” I ask Tim when I see him. He points in the opposite direction, and I find him helping out the Alpha with something.

I thank him, and then rush over to my father to see what’s going on. I see them both murmuring about them getting closer to killing them and they need to take drastic measures. I hug my dad tightly, surprising him. “Sweetie, what is it?”

“I was worried about you,” I whispered into his suit, tears threatening to release.

He patted me awkwardly, then looked at the Alpha. “It’s okay, sir. This is her first time away from me during a fight. I promise to get her emotions in checked for the next fight.”

I pull away from him, giving him a disgusted look. The Alpha nodded his head, understanding completely. “She’s alive that’s all that matters. Why don’t you take your daughter to get herself cleaned up?”

He motioned to my wounds from the glass shattering on me. My father nodded seriously, then he walked me toward Sherry. “She’ll clean the wounds and give you some concoction she made up.”

I watched him go, anger bubbling up inside me. Of course he acts tough when the Alpha is around. I can’t believe these spies can be so senseless and cold. Why would you want to be a spy if you can’t care or worry about someone?

I saw Alex’s dad hugging Alex and Ben tightly when they reunited. Alex looked over at me, and gave me a half smile. I didn’t smile back, instead I felt my gaze go to Wendy. She sat down next to three people, all of them talking. Wendy looked up, and stared at me, raising an eyebrow at me. I felt hatred toward her. Why does she act like she’s so much better than the rest of us? She’s rude, selfish, shallow, annoying, disrespectful, evil, anti-social, and whatever other mean words you can think of.

Sherry glanced at me, then at Wendy. “She’s just jealous that everyone likes you. Can you blame her though? She was the little girl everyone thought would be the greatest spy they ever had. It’s like her father programmed it into her mind she was amazing, but when she figured out she wasn’t as good as she thought she was, she took it out on you, a girl who is everything she wants to be.”

I smile at Sherry, not feeling an ounce better. I took a sip of the drink she gave me. It tasted like oranges and peaches, blended in ice cream. After twenty more minutes, my dad appeared and grabbed my arm roughly. We both made our way back to the car, not speaking.

Once we got in the car and started our way back home, I look at him angrily. “What’s your problem? Didn’t you worry about me at all?”

“I can’t show you any affection when he’s around,” Dad said through gritted teeth. “Of course I worried about you! Do you think I actually wanted to leave you? I saw that guy heading in the direction of the stairs, but I hoped he wouldn’t go up them.”

“Well he did,” I said, glaring at him angrily. “I nearly died twice. You got me in this sick mess, the least you can do is be nicer to me! Do you think I actually want to do this? I’d rather be home right now eating popcorn and watching a movie like a normal kid.”

I heard Dad make this grunting noise, something he does when he’s angry. I’m sure he doesn’t want to hear his daughter bashing his job, I sure wouldn’t. I wouldn’t make my kid become a spy either. He did something so Sandy would be safe, but he didn’t do it for me.

When we got home I walked right into the house, slamming the door behind me. I ran up the stairs, my mind going insane. I look into Sandy’s room, and to my surprise, I catch her mid way climbing into the window in her room. “What are you doing?”

“I snuck out to see someone,” Sandy said, smiling innocently at me. I know all of Sandy’s friends, so I don’t see the reason she’d sneak out to see them.

“Are you in trouble?” I ask her curiously, leaning against the wall.

“Er, maybe,” she said, shutting the window as she gets her body fully into the room. She turned to me, and looked at me seriously. “Don’t tell Mom or Dad, okay?”

“I won’t,” I promised. I gave her a wary look. I leave her room and walk into my room, shaking my head. Sandy better not start acting up, or I’ll be the one getting in trouble for not telling them what she’s been doing.

I grab my phone, my heart racing. I keep waiting for him to call, maybe to hang out one on one, but he never does. I want me and Alex to be close, I think we could be best friends. Every time he’s about to tell me something personal, he changes his mind at the last minute and moves on to other things. I don’t want to be the person who nags someone into telling them what’s wrong, but waiting for him to is aggravating.

I went over to my window and looked outside, barely able to make out the shadow of Dads car in the driveway. I felt myself burst into tears as I re-lived what just happened. I started cleaning my room, something I do when I’m sad or angry. I line my shoes by color, then I start to sort my books alphabetically. As I grabbed one of the perfume bottles on the top of my drawer, I looked at it curiously.

Dad bought it for me when I was ten years old. He told me it smelled nice, but to be honest, it didn’t smell like anything. I never used it, or any perfume for that matter, so I was surprised dad bought it for me. I took a whiff, and then sprayed it in the air. I took the top of the bottle, and then poured it into an empty cup I had laying around in my room. It looked exactly like the substance dad gives mom and Sandy.

Without thinking, I drank it, gagging loudly as it went down my throat. I grabbed the bed for support, air leaving my body at a rapid speed. I grab the stupid glass bottle, then throw it against my wall, the glass making a loud shattering noise. Sandy ran out of her room and into mine, gasping loudly.

“Sloane!” Sandy shrieked, kneeling down next to me. “MOM! DAD! HELP!”

I heard the sounds of mom and dads feet thumping on the stairs as they ran up. Mom and Dad appeared in my room, both of them stepping on broken glass. Dad ran over to me, then picked me up off the ground. “What’s the matter with you, Sloane?”

Dad laid me on the bed, then he grabbed Sandy and mom and closed the door behind him. My eyes started to flutter back as the rest of the air started to leave me. Dad returned, sighing loudly. He laid a trash can on the ground. He grabbed me, then stuck his hand down my throat. I vomited all over the ground, upchucking everything I ate today. Air went through my lungs as the substance in the perfume was out of my system.

I coughed loudly, thumping my chest with my hand lightly. Dad gave me a crazed look, then sat on the bed with me. “Why did you drink it?”

“I didn’t mean to kill myself,” I choked out. “I just wanted to forget about what happened today. I didn’t want to remember the things I did. I drank it all, figuring it’d be enough to forget the whole night.”

Dad sighed and ran his hand through his hair. I didn’t want to make this difficult for him, I really didn’t. I just don’t think I’ll be able to handle this. On television, the superheroes are able to cope with it after the first episode, but it’s not like that in real life.

“I will teach you to understand the spy world,” Dad said slowly, rubbing his eyes tiredly. “Once you understand it, and you feel safe and protected, you won’t feel this way anymore.”

“I just want you to know I didn’t try to kill myself,” I said, feeling like an idiot. “I’m not like that. I just didn’t want to remember all of this. If I tell you something, can you promise not to tell the Alpha?”

Dad nodded, looking serious. I tell him all about the fights I was in during the ball. I told him about Eric and what he did for his friend, the deal he made. I told him about Wendy, how she automatically hated me from the minute she saw me. I finished off by telling him how it feels like we aren’t even a team anymore.

“It’s not going to be easy, getting along,” Dad said after a minute or so. “I was on a team with Tim, Sherry, Allen, and Ken Dover, Alex and Ben’s dad. We all didn’t get along for about three months. We all tried to be better than the other. We finally started getting along when Allen Pierce nearly died on a mission.”

He coughed, then looked away from me embarrassed. “He asked for help, but I didn’t help him. I asked him to help me once and he didn’t, so it was payback. He got shot and was captured. They took him to enemy base and asked him questions about spies. It didn’t go well is all I’m saying.”

“You want me to be the one to fix it don’t you?” I ask him, sighing loudly.

“You’re special, Sloane. If you told Alex to forgive Eric, he would. What you learn when you’re on a team is to forgive. Allen shouldn’t have forgiven me, but he did.”

“Who do you want me to talk to first?”

“Alex, then maybe Wendy. Wendy will be a pain until you get her face to face. She’s stone cold when it comes to people. Just because Allen forgave me doesn’t mean he particularly likes me.”

I rolled my eyes at him. Who cares if the Pierces like us or not? Nobody likes them that’s for sure. Dad gives me a hug and a kiss then leaves the room. I grab my phone, ready to call Alex, but for some reason, my finger lingers on Mary’s number instead. I want to talk to her about being a spy, but if I do, my families life, and her life would be in danger. I throw my phone angrily, then walk downstairs. I wonder what dad said to Sandy and mom about me. I walk down the stairs, and see Sandy and Mom in the hallway, laying down on the floor motionless.

“What the heck did you do to them?” I shriek as I kneel down next to them, both of them knocked out. Dad walks into the hall, a guilty look crossing his face.

“What did you want me to do?” Dad asked. “Did you want me to tell them that we’re spies? Do you know we will all die if I did that?”

I check for a pulse on my sister then my mom. How could my father be so senseless to knock them out cold with something? I look up at dad, my eyes cold. “Wake them up, now.”

Dad took them both and dragged them into the kitchen, his eyes stone cold. He can’t like doing this to his family almost every day. He had the guts to do it to Sandy and mom, but when it came to me, he had a soft spot for me. I grab the landline phone, my heart racing fast. I’ll have to make this phone call quick before Sandy or mom wake up.

I dial Eric’s phone number, hoping he’ll answer. I heard a girls voice say hello. I clear my throat, then start speaking, “Hi. Is Eric Tanner there by any chance? It’s pretty important.”

I heard rustling, then the girl call Eric’s name. I heard him answer, saying for her to tell me he’s busy. I heard her say what’s the matter with you, then he replied back saying he’s not in the mood to talk to me. I heard the girl sigh loudly, then get back on the phone. “Eric’s busy right now. Are you from his school?”

“No,” I said sighing loudly. “I’m just someone.”

I hung up the phone, containing myself from throwing it across the room. I felt myself punch the wall angrily, leaving a tiny dent in the wall. Why am I becoming so strong? Why do I feel like I’m on steroids? I change my clothes and go outside. Who cares if it’s dark, I can take care of myself. I start running, my troubles slowly starting to melt away with each step I took away from my house.

I started feeling better, but I heard a small tumble, like garbage cans falling down on top of each other. I’m on a busy street, and sometimes there’s trouble around here, but not so much lately. I let my curiosity get the best of me and I start down the street where I heard the crash. After five minutes of looking, I started back on my running path. I heard a girl scream, then the sound of her screams being muffled. I turn around and saw two shadows heading down an alleyway.

Don’t do it Sloane, I said to myself as I watch them disappear. I slowly start walking toward the alleyway. Maybe their just fooling around being silly, but I highly doubt it. I hear her scream again, this time, I ran toward it, my heart racing. I turn into the alleyway and see a man all in black, holding a girl down to the ground.

“What do you think you’re doing?” I yell at him.

He turned around, giving the girl a chance to get away. She pulled away and stood up quickly. She started running down the alleyway as quick as possible. The man turned in her direction, then started chasing her.

I ran after them, running twice as fast as he could run. I easily caught up to him, and pushed him to the ground aggressively. He kicked in the air, then tried to pull something out of his pocket. I grabbed his hands and twisted them behind his back. I could easily break his arms, but the cops might get suspicious if they see that a little girl beat up a grown man.

I dial 911 on my phone then tell the operator my location. It only took around four minutes for the cops to show up. They took the dude, handcuffing him. I saw a girl appear out of the alleyway covered in dirt.

“Are you okay Miss?” A police officer asks her.

“Yes I’m fine,” the girl said, shaking uncontrollably. She points to me with her index finger, smiling gratefully at me. “That girl saved me from him.”

He turned to me and nodded his head at me. “You did a fine job Miss. How were you able to contain this man? We’ve been trying to catch him all month.”

“A lot of boxing and karate lessons,” I say hastily, smiling innocently. He seemed to buy it, and gave me a firm handshake. He got into the police car and drove away with the man in tow.

“That was more than a few lessons,” The girl said, staring at me.

I blush. Thank goodness it’s too dark for her to see my face right now. “I’m just really advanced I guess. I should get going. My parents are going to worry about me. For future reference, I wouldn’t go out alone.”

I take off down the street, running quickly home before that girl could ask more questions. That guy could’ve ran faster. He was able to drag that girl off in mere seconds, so why was he running so slowly? I shook off the feeling as I walked inside the house, closing the door gently behind me. Dad appeared in the doorway, his eyebrows raised.

I wave goodnight, then rush into my room, locking the door behind me for the night. I get in bed, and couldn’t help but smile. I did one good thing today with my spy powers. I was sort of like a superhero, showing no fear. Maybe I can be a superhero when it comes down to it, but I highly doubt it.

I wake up the next morning to get ready for school. I’m still tired from the dinner and the fighting, but its okay. I cover my leg with my jeans so nobody will notice the big purple bruise I have on my calf. I take a shower and get dressed, having very limited amount of time before school. When I see dad at breakfast, I can tell he knows something.

“So,” Dad said, the newspaper in his hand shaking slightly. “Did you have a nice run last night? You went to bed so quickly last night that I wasn’t able to ask.”

I looked at him, then looked down at my plate. “Er, yeah I did. Swell if I may add. Why, did you want to come with me last night? You could’ve if you wanted to-“

“You’re babbling, sis,” Sandy said, rolling her eyes as she sat down next to me. She probably doesn’t remember a thing yesterday.

“Sorry,” I say, blushing a bit. I pour myself some orange juice from the pitcher on the table, then look curiously at Sandy. I still don’t know where she went yesterday, and it’s driving me crazy.

Dad took a bite of his eggs, then looked up at me. “I’m picking you up from school today just to let you know. My friends are bringing their kids to a bowling party, and I thought you’d like to go Sloane.”

I look at him, confused. I know bowling means secret code for something else, but what in the world is he talking about? He swiftly grabs his napkin then gets a pen out from his pocket, and starts to write down something on it.

“Here, Sloane,” Dad says in a strict voice. “You should always use a napkin when you eat.”

I grab the napkin from him and read it quickly:

The Alpha wants you and your team to go to the headquarters and do some training there. I’ll bring you your training clothes so Sandy won’t be suspicious. Hope you talked to your team!

I wipe my face with the napkin, careful to use the other side of the napkin without pen on it. Sandy is oblivious to all of this and continues to eat, humming a song under her breath. Fine, I’ll say it, she’s pretty much an airhead when it comes to being secretive. She’ll more than likely forget what you tell her not tell someone, or she’ll say it out loud because she forgot it was a secret.

Sandy and I got into dads car, both of us feeling like losers. Our parents refuse to buy Sandy a car since she’s already crashed their car four times. They won’t buy me a car because then they’ll have to buy Sandy a car. Dad lets me drive his whenever I want, but he uses it all the time, so I’m thankful if I get to drive four times a month.

I hug dad and Sandy good-bye, then I get out of the car, my feet sore from running in those dumb heels. I see Mary and wave at her. She waved back, then continued into the school. She usually waits for me, but it seems like she’s in a bad mood today. I run over to Alex whose walking into the school with his friend.

“Hey, Alex,” I say happily.

He smiles at me and gives me a little nudge. “Hey. Are you excited about after school bowling?”

I laugh in my palm and nod. His friend looks at both of us as if we’re crazy. “Since when did you become friends with the loner, Alex?”

Alex gives me an apologetic smile, then turns to his friend. “You really need to watch your mouth, Tyler. If you haven’t forgotten, Sandy is dating my brother.”

“Oh yeah,” Tyler said laughing out loud. “I thought they broke up. I hear Sandy has a new boyfriend. Pretty much everybody knows about that.”

I sure didn’t know about it, at least not yet