Himmel

oder Hölle

Searching eyes wandered up his shoulder, landing on his and staring into them intently. They were big, brown doe eyes. The type of brown that somebody drowned in. Eyes that gave away everything the owner wanted them to, and not an emotion more. The girl who possessed these eyes was letting her emotions out. Hurt, confusion, a sense of falling that she didn't quite understand. He, however, understood it perfectly. She was lost. She held a ragged bear in one hand, the stuffing poking through in places. She had on only a thin nightdress, and was shivering in the cold Autumn air. He smiled at the young girl, standing up from his seat on the bench outside. He took her hand and led her back inside, shutting the door behind them. He left the rope he had been winding between his hands on the worn wood, the frayed ends playing in the gentle breeze.

'Es ist Zeit zum Schlafengehen.' He said, the German words spilling into the air, rushed and guttural.

'Aber was ist mit Mama?' She replied, protesting as he picked her up, carrying her upstairs. He said not a word in answer to her question, instead throwing her on the bed.

'Gute nacht.' He said, tucking her in and kissing her forehead. She pouted at him.

'Wo ist Mama?' Little did she know, the sky had fallen somewhere around six in the evening, and with the clocks now ticking over to nine, he still hadn't brought himself to terms with the events.

'Sie ist aus.' She would never return from her outing though. She had moved on to a place untouched by the living. A place best described by one word - himmel. It was a place for the unearthly, for those who did well. He hoped she had moved on to Heaven, but that was the greatest question of all. With her swinging by her neck from the old tree in the backyard, only taken down mere minutes ago, would she be in Heaven if she killed herself?