The Fast Times

Twelve

Nancy finished dessert with her family before heading upstairs for bed. She made sure Alma had everything she needed before she went to bed herself. Nancy began to unbutton her jeans when she entered to bedroom, using her free hand to flick the light on.

She almost screamed when she saw Pete climbing through her bedroom window. She jumped and held her mouth, leaving her pink polka dotted panties exposed. Nancy growled, shutting the door behind her as Pete climbed in clumsily and nearly tripped, gaining his balance on her bedpost.

"What the hell are you doing?!" Nancy whispered angrily.

Pete shut the window and shivered slightly, "I wanted to come see you."

"Why?" She snapped, still whispering.

"I missed you," he answered with a shrug.

Nancy sighed, "You scared the hell out of me, Pete."

"I'm sorry," he said. "I just...I was bored. I went to buy some smokes, I drove by to get home...I don't know, I just wanted to see you, but I didn't know if your gramma was awake or...what, really."

Nancy shook her head, "Nah, it's okay, sorry."

Pete sat on her bed, watching her shimmy her jeans off and toss them off in her hamper. Nancy felt a little uneasy as she began to undress, "Uh, Pete, can you not look for a minute?"

Pete chuckled to himself and turned his head. "Why are you so bashful now?"

"You want me to smack you?" She joked.

Nancy hurriedly put her pajamas on and then sat next to Pete. He smiled at her, "Last night--"

Nancy cut him off, "We were drunk. I was off my ass drunk...I shouldn't be doing things like that."

Pete held back from frowning, "Was it bad?"

Nancy inhaled, "Honestly?" Pete nodded. "I don't remember. I just...remember doing shots and then we went upstairs...the rest is a blur. I barely remember coming home."

Pete felt bad. He felt sorry, his heart was sinking. He couldn't comprehend the thought of Nancy not liking him like he liked her.

"So, you and me--"

Nancy cut him off, "We're still together," she smiled, leaned over and kissed his cheek. "The next time we do it, lets not be drunk off our asses. And, it'll be a long time from now, because I don't usually sleep with boys I just met."

Pete smiled and nodded, "Yeah...sorry, I wish I would've stopped, but...you were...all over me and girls never been all over me before."

Nancy giggled, not knowing what to say. She instead pecked his cheek again and then hugged him. Pete smiled contently, hugging her back.

"I hate to be so rude, but," Nancy murmured, "you have to go. Darla will be up here to check on me."

Pete understood, nodding, "It's okay. My mom is probably worried about where the hell I am."

Nancy kissed Pete's lips this time, "Goodnight, Pete."

Pete went to her window, his head dizzy from love, opened the window. He turned before climbing out, "Night, Cy. I'll see you in the morning."

Nancy bit down on her bottom lip, watching Pete disappear into the dark. She went to the window and watched him easily jump off the roof and hurry off where she couldn't see him any longer. She shut the window, sighed and went to bed, climbing into it.

Nancy's head was all mixed up about Pete.

•••

Unbeknownst to Nancy, Pete and his friends repaired the little rift they had concerning their drunken sexual encounter. Nick reluctantly apologized at Chris' forcing. Andy had rolled his eyes at all of it, keeping the little tiff between friends.

As the week progressed, it seemed that some of Nancy's former friends had come around. Most notably Sabrina and Rae, who had missed their friend, and decided to apologize for turning so snobby before. It was nice having girls to hang out with, as Nancy thought. As her friends joined, so did a few more misfits, thanks to Pete's joyous, outgoing nature.

Their own little group of friends grew from 5 to 10. They all met at school and hung out at lunch and joined each other in classes they shared. Sabrina and Rachel even came over with Nancy when she had to say goodbye to her aunt and uncle.

As the days progressed, Nancy and Pete's relationship had blossomed, but Nancy still had some reservations about Pete. It wasn't anything bad, she just wasn't sure if things between them would be anything more. Though her heart was telling her this, her mind was making her cover it up. She didn't want to hurt him, because she liked him so much. Pete is a sweetheart, he spent Halloween, his favorite day of the year, studying with her, just to be with her.

Pete was in deep and Nancy was afraid of that. Commitment scared her in the way the dark would scare a child. But, as much as it did, she fought through it, letting her heart lose each battle with her head.

Weekdays they spent time at each others, or Chris' house. Weekends they partied or went to the movies, sometimes Nancy made him study. Pete basically did whatever he could to be with Nancy, and Nancy did the same, just to relish in the time without him.


It blizzard the first week of December, trapping nearly every person in the Midwest in their homes. Nancy and Alma made hot chocolate, started a fire and curled on the couch to watch movies before the power went out. It was a Sunday, a day Nancy was happy to be by herself, at home, without anyone to bother her -with the except of her grandmother.

Nancy had been tossing the idea of breaking up with Pete for the past couple of days. The cold and her nerves turned her into a coward. As well as the flu she thought she was getting. Alma nursed her, keeping her home on Thursday and Friday, hoping to get Nancy to the doctor on Monday.

"How are you, Cy?" Alma asked as she sat beside Nancy.

"Cold and I have to throw up," she grumbled, "I'm hot and cold and I'm hungry."

Alma giggled, "Aw, sweetness, you have the flu."

Nancy grumbled, "Screw the flu."

Alma gave her a hot cup of hot chocolate, "I put little baby marshmallows in like ya like."

She smiled, "Thanks Gram."

Alma nodded, handing her a full hot cup, "You're welcome."

The phone rang just as Nancy began to blow over the cup. Alma stood, pulling her afghan over her shoulders, shuffling over to the phone. "Hello?"

On the other end was Pete, wondering if Nancy was okay. "Hi, Alma, is Nancy there?"

"She is, but she's not feeling well."

Pete hummed, "I thought so. Sorry, I was just checking on her."

"It's fine, Pete. Nancy's grumpy and a little sassy right now," Alma giggled, "I'll tell her you called."

"Thanks."

"Mm-hm."

Alma hung up and returned to the couch. Nancy rolled her eyes, her stomach washing through her in waves of nausea. She sipped her hot chocolate and then looked at Alma, "I'm breaking up with him."

Alma frowned upon hearing those words, "Why? He's a sweetheart."

"I don't like him like that," Nancy murmured. "I like him...I do, but--" she stopped once vomit shot up her throat.

Nancy nearly threw her cup as she struggled to stand, pushing her blanket away and run upstairs. Alma was startled, watching Nancy rush off; there was hot chocolate spilled on the floor and Nancy almost tripped up the stairs. "Are you okay?" Alma called up to her, only to have the response of the bathroom door slamming behind Nancy.

Alma sighed and began to clean up the mess.

Nancy knelt on the floor, before the toilet, throwing up what little breakfast she had, had that morning. Her body ached, head throbbed and her stomach churned. Her face was burning hot and it took more than 5 minutes for her to regain her strength and stand.

Nancy placed her hands on the sink, staring at her hot and pale face in the mirror. She looked like death warmed over, her hair was greasy and the large bags beneath her eyes made he cringe. She turned the sink on, rinsed her mouth and then splashed her face.

Alma knocked on the bathroom door, "Cy, I called Thomas from next door and asked him if he could take us to the emergency room."

Nancy began to protest, "Gram--"

Alma cut her off, "Get your butt out here, put some warm clothes on, we leave in 15 minutes."

Nancy smiled reluctantly, "Okay."

Alma smiled triumphantly and headed off to her bedroom to get ready. Nancy splashed her face once more before turning away and heading to her bedroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
The purpose and the origin of this story is going to happen soon.
Death is upon us

(Am I joking? Wait and find out!)

Also, the title of this story may change, I'm just not sure which title I like more. But, I do know that what I entitle it will definitely go with where it's from, does that make sense?
Okay, thank you for being so patient :) leave me some love

xxali