The Fast Times

Fourteen

Nancy drove Alma's car that had been parked in the garage since June when she got her license. Driving was the last thing she ever wanted to do, and this would be another necessary reason to drive. They needed to get to the Wentzs' and the car, a BMW that was fairly new with a full tank, was the last Alma bought and given to Nancy for passing her Driver's Ed courses. Nancy didn't want to drive, but she had to; Alma couldn't, not with her arthritis and the medication she took.

"When are Darla and Norman coming?" Nancy questioned as she backed out of the garage.

"They'll be in tomorrow," Alma informed. "Don't worry, I told Darla she better not yell at you."

Nancy didn't reply, she kept her eyes on the road, taking the familiar direction to Pete's home. All the while her stomach was in knots and she was ready to throw up again. Her fingers were frozen but her head and face were burning hot and sweaty under her purple and gray wool cap. She chose to ignore it, live with it because he had no choice but to. She also didn't want to take her hands off the wheel.

"Nice house," Alma murmured as they pulled up, parking just out front.

"Pete said Darla knows them."

Alma nodded, "Peter Wentz worked your parents case against the trucking company that were responsible for the crash."

Nancy knew that, she knew the quick pay out was what she and Alma lived on, but the rest was put in a trust for Nancy after she finished college. She thought bitterly, bye-bye college fund.

Alma held Nancy's hand as they headed up the short steps to the door. Nancy's heart was stuck in her throat, Alma wasn't all that phased, she was there for support and to help Nancy explain things. Nancy knocked, her other hand still intertwined with her grandmother's.

The seconds passed and were like the ticking to an active bomb. The door opened and Nancy felt like her body exploded. She just about passed out when she saw Pete's father standing there. He had a smile on his face, making Nancy uneasy, "H-hello Mr. Wentz."

"Come in," Peter moved aside and let Nancy and Alma in. "Can I take your coats?"

Both of them refused, both eyeing Peter Wentz confusingly. But, Nancy's heart was beating faster and faster, she swore she it would explode at any moment. She wondered why she was so nervous, they knew already. She chalked it up as being fearful of looking at Pete, knowing she didn't want to be with him but was now stuck with him. She wondered what he must've thought.

"Follow me," Peter said, leading the women to the living room.

Sitting on the sofa was Pete and his mother. He immediately stood up upon Nancy entering, without hesitation he went over and hugged her. Nancy was limp in his arms, afraid to hug him back, afraid of giving him the wrong intention.

Pete was confused, he was expecting Nancy to at least acknowledge him. He let her go, his hand held her wrist, he looked into her eyes and saw how fearful she was. Her pupils were dilated and her pulse raced under his fingertips. He chose not to say anything, he just stepped back and said a soft hello to Alma. He returned to his spot next to his mother while Nancy and Alma sat in the love seat.

Peter sat beside his son placing Pete in the middle. Both parties looked at each other, Alma with her hand still in Nancy's. Peter cleared his throat, "We talked about this," he began, "and we have our own ideas, but you should tell us what you plan to do."

Nancy looked down, feeling so much like a child. "I haven't...I haven't decided yet."

"Do you want to keep it?" Dale pondered softly.

Nancy looked up, her eyes meeting Pete's, "I don't...know."

"If you do keep it, you have to understand that..." Peter's trailing sentence broke the stare between the teenagers. "That we would feel comfortable with having a DNA test."

Nancy's stomach dropped, Alma blinked, her jaw slacking, "Excuse me? What are you trying to say, Mr. Wentz?"

"They're teenagers, Mrs....?"

"Durden. My name is Alma Durden. And just because my baby girl is a teenager and had sex with your son doesn't mean she's opening her legs for every boy--"

"We don't know that," Peter muttered.

Alma gasped and Pete elbowed his father, "Dad, Nancy isn't sleeping around! We just--"

Peter turned to face his son, "You said this wasn't the first time she got drunk and had sex with someone."

Nancy's eyes narrowed at Pete, "Oh my God, you told him that?"

Pete looked back at her, his face growing hot, "N-no! Not like in a bad way! I was just saying--"

"Save it," Nancy muttered, and then she stood, "Screw you and your dad. It's my body and since you two think I'm some whore opening her legs for anyone, I'll do this by myself! Maybe I'll keep it, maybe I won't, it's my problem!" Nancy looked to her grandmother, "Gram, lets go, this was a waste of time."

"Nancy," Dale began as she stood, "Honey, that's not what they meant. Peter only wants to be sure."

Alma put her arm around Nancy as she began to speak, "Yeah, well take my word for it, I don't sleep around! I only slept with your son and that's it. If you don't believe me then it doesn't even matter. Me and my family will take care of this by ourselves. Good riddance."

Dale and Pete were both in stunned shock as Nancy and Alma hurriedly left their home. Pete got up after the door slammed and looked at his father, "You didn't have to say that!"

"Yes I did," Peter stood, "You shouldn't have to deal with that girl and that child for 18 years if it isn't yours!"

"It is mine!" Pete snapped. "It's my baby and--and..." His body was growing hot beneath his sweats and hoodie, "I-I want it! I want Nancy and I want our baby!"

Both of his parents looked at him in shock. Dale placed a palm to her mouth, muttering incoherently. Peter's jaw set as his dark eyes narrowed down at his son.

"You really want to piss your life away, Pete, for some girl?!"

"Yes!" Pete shouted. "I love her!"

"You're 17 years old, what the hell do you know about love?!"

"Enough to know that if I can't have Nancy and our baby then I might as well be dead!" Pete stepped back, "So fuck soccer and fuck whatever domestic plans you had for me dad because I'm not gonna do it!"

Peter's face was red, burning like flames. He continuously glared at his son, "Then you can get the hell out of my house!"

"Peter!" Dale snapped at her husband. "Pete, you're not going anywhere--"

"Yes he is Dale! He wants to ruin his goddamn life, he isn't going to do it under my roof!" He turned his attention on Pete now, "I pay for everything, you little shit! I'm the reason your still alive and have food to eat and clothes on your back! You want to fuck up your life for some slutty girl, you can get the hell out! Don't even think about taking the clothes I bought you and the car I bought!"

Pete could only step back, full of pride and anger. Dale blinked away tears, watching her husband and son angrily stare at one another. Pete growled, "Fine. Fuck you dad," Pete turned his heel and headed towards the door.

Dale followed after him, "Pete! Pete get back here! You're not leaving this house, it's snowing--"

"I'm doing what he said! I'm not gonna stay where I'm not wanted."

"I want you here and you're going to stay. You're both upset, you need to sleep on it, okay?"

The adrenaline from his shouting match was still running high. He gave his mother an agreeing nod before heading upstairs, ignoring his father's darken stare. Pete went into his room, shut and locked the door and went to his desk drawer. He found his anti-anxiety pills and swallowed 3, he knew within a few minutes he'd be feeling on top of the world. He grabbed his cigarette and lighter from the drawer as well and then opened his bedroom window, feeling the stinging breeze of snow.

He lit his cigarette and took a long drag, holding the smoke for a moment before exhaling. His mind was so far from reality, he didn't think about Nancy or their current situation until he was down to the filter of his Marlboro. He tossed the butt out if the window, shut it and then went to his bed, his mind clouding with ease.

He shut his eyes and finally thought of Nancy. He ignored the memory of her limp body against his, he only let his love for her flood his thoughts. He wondered about their child, barely growing inside of Nancy. He began to talk to himself, "I want a little boy...someone I can raise and be a real dad to. I want to marry Cy...I love her...I love her so much."

Pete was on the brink of sleep when there came soft raps on his door. He got up, knowing it was one of his younger siblings. He opened the door, finding the both of them, Hilary and Andrew.

"What?" He asked with a slur to his tone.

"Who'd you get pregnant?" Hilary asked him.

Pete let his brother and sister in and then shut the door. They both sat on one of the double beds near the window while Pete laid on the other.

"So?" Hilary questioned impatiently.

"Nancy Durden, my girlfriend."

"She's pregnant for real?" 10 year old Andrew's brows rose in wonder.

"Yeah, I knocked her up," Pete replied coolly.

"Whoa," Hilary and Andrew said in sync.

"Like for real?" Andrew asked in disbelief. "You're gonna be a dad?"

Andrew and Hilary both grimaced at the thought while Pete just nodded, "Yeah."

"Why is dad pissed?" Hilary questioned next.

"Because I love Nancy and I want her to have the baby."

"You can't finish school if you do," she pointed out.

"Yes I can," Pete looked over at them. "This ain't the 50's, things are different."

"You won't go to college Pete," Hilary murmured. "Aren't you scared?"

Pete shook his head, "No."

"You love her?" Andrew asked with general interest.

"Yeah, I love her Andy."

"You're crazy," Hilary said.

Pete shrugged, "So what?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Things are never typical for me, so why should my stories be?