The Fast Times

Fifteen

Early the next morning, Pete woke up in a haze. He wasn't sure if he dreamt the day before, he couldn't even remember if he hasn't been sleeping for the past 48 hours. He climbed out of his bed, seeing the sun peak through his drawn drapes. He stretched and went to the bathroom, brushed his teeth, washed his face and zipped up his hoodie and headed downstairs.

He couldn't remember if school was canceled or not.

Dale was making breakfast for Hilary, Andrew and Peter, all sitting at the kitchen table. Pete couldn't help but to feel excluded, the sight of his family all sitting together looked like a real family that he couldn't be a part of. He met a glance with his mother, who's mouth opened to speak, but lacked anything intelligible.

"Are you hungry, son?" Dale questioned softly, tenderly.

Pete would've said yes if his father hadn't shot his eyes his way. Peter smirked at his son, "You're out of here," he spat. "You want to ruin your life, we won't support it."

Pete just looked at his parents, eyes glancing from one to the other. Dale looked at her husband in disdain, "Pete isn't going anywhere!"

"Yes he is!" Peter hammered his fist on the table, causing the cutlery to jump, along with Hilary and Andrew in their seats.

Pete stood there for a moment, looked to his mother, "I'll be okay."

With that, he left. He went upstairs, grabbed the things he wanted, stuffed into his backpack, whether or not his father bought them, and then returned to the kitchen. He had his keys, fiddling to take the keychains Hilary had given him one year, pocketed it them, and then set them on the counter; "Car keys, house key, spares. There."

Dale was on the verge of tears, "Pete--"

"Let him go, Dale," Peter stood, took the keys and shoved them into his pocket. "He'll come running back."

Pete rolled his eyes, "I'd rather die."

"You will once you see how hard it is to be on your own," Peter lectured, "Once you see that little slut you're with isn't anything you wanted her to be."

"You don't know her!" Pete snapped angrily, "She isn't a slut!"

Peter waved his hand off his son, "Get going."

Pete snarled, turned and left, making sure to slam the door behind him. His siblings and mother were all holding in their tears. Sadden that Pete had decided to be so prideful. They were all also upset that Peter had been so heartless and short with Pete.

"You didn't have to do that," Hilary muttered, her composure slowly crumbling.

"Your brother is an idiot," Peter looked towards his daughter, "he wants to ruin his life."

"So what?" Hilary shot back, "He's a dumb guy, he's supposed to do that stuff."

"Not when he lives under my roof. You ever come home pregnant, Hilary, you'll be out just like Pete."

Hilary's eyes drowned in tears. She got up and ran out of the kitchen. Andrew looked down at his uneaten food growing cold, and slowly got up from his seat and followed after his sister.

Their father only shook his head, their mother walked away, sobbing off to her craft room. Peter didn't feel the least bit guilty, only more dominate.


Nancy had dropped Alma off to visit her friend at the senior center. She had stayed for a bit before returning home by herself. Upon doing so, she saw Pete sitting on the steps of her porch, hugging himself with his thin hoodie tucked within his arms.

Even though she wasn't in love with him and she was angry with him, it didn't mean she was heartless. She parked, climbed out, holding the hot chocolate she had gotten from the senior center, and hurried across the driveway. Pete could barely stand, but managed to do so, shaking like a leaf. He was all too happy to see Nancy, but he wasn't sure if he was smiling or not, his face had gone numb from the cold, even his toes were numb, from the snow soaking through his converse sneakers.

"What are you doing here?" Nancy questioned him.

Pete was too cold to speak. He wasn't sure how long he had been out in the frigid cold waiting for her. His mind had damn near gone numb as well.

Nancy saw his white, nearly blue lips quivering and took his hands, placing the warm styrofoam cup in his frozen hands. She unlocked the door and led Pete in, shutting the door behind them. Pete relished in the warmth, managing to get the cup to his lips, letting the warmth flow into his mouth and down his throat.

Nancy took her coat and gloves off, leaving just the black scarf around her neck, and sat Pete on the couch. She grabbed the afghan from over the couch and put it over his lap. Pete smiled at her, still unaware if he truly was, "T-t-thanks," he shivered.

"You're welcome. I'm gonna start a fire. Get warm."

Pete nodded, still shivering as Nancy went off. He swallowed his spit and took more of the hot chocolate into his mouth. He watched Nancy move around, opening the glass panels, bending down to fill the fire place with chopped wood and then light up the end of rolled up newspaper to start the fire in between the logs. The fire roared as Nancy stepped back, using a poker to push the burning paper further in. She set the poker down and turned to Pete, "You almost caught your death out there, what the hell were you doing?"

"Waiting for you," his teeth chattered as he spoke. "I had a fight. With my dad."

"Why?" She asked.

Pete felt shy suddenly, afraid to tell Nancy how he felt. He swallowed, "He's mad at me...kicked me out because I knocked you up."

Nancy had almost forgotten if it hadn't been for the queasiness she was suddenly feeling. "Oh."

"He really is pissed," he explained, "he wouldn't let me take my car or most of my stuff. I'm gonna crash at Chris' or Nick's...the walk was too far and too cold."

Nancy sat beside him, "I'll drop you off later if you want me to. Schools canceled, the pipes busted on Woodland."

"We're out for, what, a week?"

Nancy nodded, "I guess so."

Pete gave back her cup, "Can I--we talk?"

"Yeah," she murmured, taking a gulp from the cup.

"I'm really sorry I messed up. I wasn't thinking, I was wasted...I never...it's never happened before. I didn't mean to tell my dad that you slept with someone before, I was just trying to explain myself."

"It's okay," she shrugged thoughtlessly.

"I just wanna tell you that I..." He felt his face grow warm from nervousness. "That--that I...I'm okay with whatever you wanna do. I'll support you because I really like you and I don't want this to be the end."

Pete's sincere words made Nancy's eyes grow wide. The guilt she felt for wanting to break up with him grew exponentially.

"If you want our baby, then I want our baby. If you wanna give it up, I'll be there for you. I wanna do whatever you wanna do, Cy," he found his courage. "I--I love you."

Her heart began to race, her mouth fell open and the queasy feeling in her stomach grew into impending vomit. She placed a palm over her open mouth, "Oh no."

Pete watched Nancy shoot up and begin to run up the stairs. First, he was scared she was reacting badly to his words, but calmed down once he was kneeling beside her in the bathroom. He held her hair away from her face, rubbed her back and kissed the side of her head.

Nancy cried as she vomited, questioning herself why Pete would say that. She never spoke it out loud, afraid of hurting his feelings. She wasn't heartless.

Nancy's knees were sore as Pete helped her stand, they knocked together as she leaned against the counter. Pete helped her, turning the faucet on and cupping the water to give to her. Nancy began to cry again, slurping down water and then spitting it out. Pete gave her a towel from the rack, which she used to dry her face, and then she fell into his arms. Pete hugged and held Nancy, kissing her temple, "Are you okay, Cy?"

She nodded sluggishly, "Uh-huh."

"Want to go to your room?"

She gave another small nod. Pete placed his arm around her waist, reminded of the night they got drunk and slept together. He held her the same way, only this time, she was sick and it was half his doing.

Pete helped her get into bed, where she kicked her jeans off and unwrapped the scarf from her neck, letting it fall to the floor with her jeans. Pete sat at the edge, watching her wiggle under the covers. He swallowed, "Want me to--"

"Just come lie with me, please," she told him.

This was Nancy feeling vulnerable and feeling compassion for Pete. She didn't love him, she liked him a lot and she was feeling so lonely. This was her missing her parents and having one person who said they loved her, by her side.

Pete kicked his boots off, climbed in behind her and laid there awkwardly. Nancy grabbed his hand, wrapping it around her waist, and shut her eyes. Pete moved comfortably onto his side, his face buried in the back of her head, smelling her flowery scented shampoo. This is heaven, he thought happily. His hand flattened against her stomach, feeling nothing but the fabric of her pullover sweatshirt with New Trier High School track team's logo.

"Did you mean it?" Nancy asked him quietly, just above a whisper.

"Did I mean what?" He played dumb for a moment.

"Did you mean it when you said you loved me?"

Pete didn't hesitate, "Yes."

Nancy felt guiltier and found herself forcing the words out, "I...I-I love you too, Pete."

Pete didn't know she was lying, even if he did, he wouldn't have cared. He closed his eyes, inhaled her hair's scent and listened to her soft breathing.