The Fast Times

Sixteen

Both were awake when Darla and Norman arrived from St. Louis. Nancy and Pete were still in her bed, comfortable and warm, not bothering to move. Darla had come in and noticed Pete's hoodie on the couch and had looked to her husband, "He's here. They better not be doing anything," she snapped.

"What else could happen?" Norman joked in a humorous tone, "She's already pregnant."

"This isn't funny, Norman," she growled. "Nancy!"

Nancy sighed, rolling over, "We have to get up."

"Yeah, I figured."

The couple got out of bed, Nancy went to her dresser drawer and got out a pair of sweatpants. Pete slipped his boots on and followed Nancy as she led the way out of her bedroom. They met Darla on the stairs, "There you are. What were you doing?" She questioned suspiciously, her eyes darting between the two.

"We were lying down," Nancy muttered. "Jeez, what's the worse that could happen? I'm already pregnant." She mimicked Norman's words.

Norman chuckled over by the couch. Pete's eyes went over to him, following Nancy and Darla awkwardly down the stairs, waiting for them to chastise him. Darla watched him, but didn't speak, Nancy held his hand loosely, leading him to the living room with her family.

Nancy and Pete sat on the couch, Norman stood by the fire place, poking at the fire wood burning low. Darla sat at the edge of the couch to Nancy's right. Everyone was silent, the only sound was the crackling of the firewood and it breaking apart due to Norman's probing with the poker.

"I have to pick up Gram in an hour," Nancy told them. "She's at the senior center."

"I'll pick her up," Norman offered.

"Why?" She questioned.

Darla noticed her niece's fingers interlaced, loosely, with Pete's. Her heart was in her gut, this was almost too much for her to deal with. She fought through it, "We need to talk."

"We already talked," Nancy muttered. "Pete's dad is pissed and I'm not sure if I'm keeping it."

"What did Alma say?" Norman asked.

"She said she'd help me," Nancy answered. "I have an appointment next week and I'll see...what I wanna do."

Darla licked over her lips, feeling them chapped and cold. Her eyes fell on Pete again, questioning him, "What did your parents say?"

"My dad kicked me out."

Darla's brows shot up, "When?"

"Last night. I'm gonna go stay at my friend's."

"What do you want, Pete?" Darla asked him now, wanting to know his thoughts.

Pete was unsure how to announce his want in a way that would appease Darla. He didn't know her all that well, so he decided to answer truthfully, "I love Nancy, Darla. And I want whatever she wants. If she wants the baby, I'll be there and be a daddy. If she doesn't, I'll help her through it and be a good boyfriend or a friend, whatever she wants."

The words warmed both Darla and Nancy's hearts. Nancy's eyes burned with tears and she sucked in a breath. All eyes were on her as she cried; she let Pete's hand go and pressed her palms to her face and sobbed. Pete was afraid at first, but once Nancy threw her arms around him, he felt better, but upset that he made her cry.

"I didn't mean to make you cry," he murmured against her ear.

Nancy couldn't respond, she just cried. She wasn't sure why she was crying, there were so many things that were the reason for her sobs. She was upset for being pregnant, for not loving Pete the way he loves her and that it was all coming down to the fact that she did want this baby.

That scared her.

"Are you okay, Cy?" Darla asked as she watched Pete rub Nancy's back.

Nancy sniffed and slowly parted from Pete. He kissed her forehead before she faced Darla. Nancy swallowed, rubbing away at her wet face, "It hit me." Was all she could get out.

"What hit you?" Darla was highly confused. "You hit her?" She questioned Pete.

"What?! N-no! I didn't--"

Nancy cut them off, "No, no one hit me. I said "it" hit me. I...I figured out what I want."

They all watched her, near on edge of what she could say. Nancy licked over her own lips, "I...I um...I want this baby."

Pete felt his heart swell with love. Darla's eyes widened, Norman was a little shocked as well. He gave a nod, "We'll support you, Cy."

"What about school?" Darla demanded to know an answer or an excuse. "College? Money? Jobs?"

Of course Nancy felt overwhelmed, but she really couldn't imagine having an abortion. She felt like she had nothing but her baby to have for herself. She was selfish, selfish for love, it was all in her head.

"We can do it," Pete answered for her. "It's not gonna be easy, but we'll be able to do it."

"Are you sure about this?" Norman asked now. "You just said, about five minutes ago that you weren't sure."

Nancy nodded, "I...I'm sure. Pete...he's made me realize that just because we made a mistake, our baby isn't at fault."

Darla was dumbstruck. She didn't know what to say. Neither did Norman.

Finally, Darla spoke up, "You guys have been together for less than three months! How is this going to work? This is barely puppy love!"

Darla's words stung Pete, but Nancy knew she was speaking the truth. She just shook her head, "Auntie D, you don't have to like it, you don't have to be there, you don't have to do anything you don't want to. You can say whatever you want, it's not gonna change my mind."

Darla's mouth bobbed up and down, Norman set the poker back in it's proper place and went over to the couch. He sat beside his wife, wrapped his arm around her waist, "Honey, it's okay. Cy's responsible, and Alma is here to help."

Darla shut her eyes for a moment, "You're sixteen, Nancy. Alma is sixty-five years old! Neither one of you is capable of taking care of a child--a baby!"

"We have about seven and a half months to learn, Auntie D."

Darla stood, "Dear God, I need a drink."

Nancy sighed as Darla stormed off. Norman gave Nancy a small smile before following Darla into the kitchen. Nancy looked at Pete, "Sorry."

"It's okay," he said. "Hey, uh, I'll give you guys some alone time. I'll head over to Chris'...we can talk later."

Nancy stood up, "I'll drop you off, it's okay."

"You sure?"

"I am, I need some air."


Pete gave Nancy a kiss on her lips before climbing out of her car. She watched him go up the porch and knock. She drove off as he went inside, her heart tugging in all sorts of directions.

Pete, on the other hand, couldn't be happier. He swore he was floating on air, and the smile on his face could break his cheeks at any given moment. Chris had given him a strange look when he opened the door and let Pete in.

"What the fuck happened to you?" Chris asked, leading the way to the basement.

"So much shit, man, you won't believe it."

"Believe what?" Andy called from his spot on the couch.

Nearly all their little group of misfits were in attendance. Nick, Andy and their new friends Joe Trohman and Patrick Stump. Joe and Patrick were Juniors, they had become close friends with the guys, due to their fast wit and charm.

"My old man kicked me out," Pete announced.

"No shit?" Nick questioned.

"No shit."

"What'd you do?" Chris asked.

Pete exhaled and sat on the floor; Joe and Nick were in a serious round of Mortal Combat beside him. He looked at all of his friend, "I knocked up Nancy Durden."

Nick paused the game, Patrick stopped sipping his soda - everyone stopped to stare at Pete. Chris' eyes had bulged, "You knocked up your girlfriend?"

Pete nodded.

"And that's why you're smiling?" Patrick asked with a cocked brow.

"I'm in love with her."

Nick rolled his eyes, he and Joe resumed their battle, "Okay. It's been like, what a month? How do you even know it's yours?"

"Because I do," Pete spat, becoming angry. "I love her, man, and she loves me too. We're keeping it."

Andy looked at his friend gravely, "Are you sure?"

"Yeah, why?" Pete calmed down.

"Well, it's only been a couple of months," Andy reasoned, "you guys ready for this?"

"No, but we have time to. I know this is gonna sound so gay, but I feel something - I feel connected to her." Pete explained with a wide smile.

Joe had successfully knocked Nick out, now the two paid attention to Pete.

"What do you feel?" Nick asked.

"Like..." Pete exhaled, "Like I can't live without her. She makes me feel whole."

They all had conflicting ideas, but they didn't want to ruin their friend's happiness. Chris, who is Pete's oldest and closest friend, patted his shoulder, "Well, congratulations, daddy-o."

Pete chuckled, "Thanks, dude."


Nancy returned home with Alma, having told her everything on the way back home. Inside, Darla was only sipping a small crystal clear glass of scotch. She wasn't drunk as her brain and nerves craved to be, instead she waited to speak to Alma before getting trashed to the point of forgetting the whole mess.

"Darla you should be proud of Nancy--"

"Mom, she's sixteen years old!" Darla nearly screamed. "How the hell--"

"You want the hell, D?" Alma challenged. "Nancy may not have her whole life figured out yet, but she is taking responsibility for her little surprise. Give her some credit."

Darla shook her head, angry with her mother's support towards teenage pregnancy. Nancy just watched her family talk about her like she wasn't even in the room. She wanted to listen, even though her heart was beating a mile a minute, to hear Darla lose her battle to Alma.

"I cannot believe you're supporting your sixteen year old--"

Alma cut her daughter off, "Oh, Darla, people have babies all the time! Teenagers to middle aged women, all share the risks of having a hard time. But if they have a family who can help, they can make it."

"Pete just got kicked out of his home," Darla snapped. "How is he gonna make it?!"

"We'll be his family," Alma said confidently. "He's going to be my great-grandchild's father, he's family."

Darla sighed, threw her arms up, "Fine! Fine, let's just let Nancy get away with anything."

"You sound so childish," Alma spat. "Grow up, D."

Darla waved her hand, "I'm out of here. I won't be apart of this travesty."

Nancy watched her aunt pick up the phone and call a cab. After she hung up, she called out to Norman, "Norm! Norman, we're leaving! Get your things!"

"What?" Norman called from the upstairs bathroom.

"We're leaving!" Darla screamed so loud, her throat nearly tore in half.

Alma shook her head, arms crossing over her chest, "Quit being over dramatic."

"No," Darla shook her head, "I won't support this. This is your mess."

Nancy had nothing to say. What could she say anyway?

Norman came down, frowning deeply, "What the hell are you screaming for?"

"We're leaving. I won't be here for this crap," Darla explained.

"Oh, my God," Alma muttered with a roll to her eyes.

Norman read his eyes dark and frustrated eyes, "Darla--"

"I already called a cab. It'll be here in 20 minutes. Go get your things."

"You can't be serious!" Norman exasperated.

"I am."

Norman didn't retort, he went off to the guest bedroom around the staircase. Darla looked back at her niece and mother, setting her empty glass on the coffee table, "You can kiss that college tuition goodbye."

"You can't do that!" Nancy shouted finally. "That's mine--"

"Yes I can!" Darla shouted back. "It's not yours, Nancy! I fought for it for my brother, to help him--"

"You can't do that," Alma interrupted. "That's Nancy's money."

"No, it's mine," Darla spoke in her same angry tone. "Nancy'll get their life insurance money on her twenty-first birthday. Other than that, you're on your own. You think it'll be easy, we'll see how easy it is."

Nancy's eyes burned with tears. She couldn't believe what was happening, she swore she was dreaming. The pinches hurt too much to be fake; she suddenly felt under the current, drowning, but she didn't give up.

She couldn't.
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you guys think?
Also, I changed Nancy's last name, it's Durden now. You'll get the reference if you remember her parents's names.
I'll fix up the confusion in the previous chapters later.

Thanks for reading!
xxali