The Fast Times

Twenty

As the weeks progressed, things were steady between Pete and Nancy. They lived a happy little life with her grandmother; Pete worked weekends and sometimes after school at Border's with Patrick. Nancy got a job at a fast food restaurant and as a waitress; she was pretty much busy after school and the weekends, but they were making money.

It was rough on Christmas for them, they missed their families, but got through it together. They had gotten each other gifts and spent the good part of their time off managing their money. Alma was getting better, but was sick most of the end of December.

Pete had tried to see his family for the holiday, but his father wouldn't let him inside. It tore him apart, but he knew that there would be a time that his father would welcome him back; he, his child and Nancy. He had to wait it out, even though it was torture on him. He felt lucky enough to have Nancy with him. She was the last good he had left - he thought.

At school, the rumors between them were just whispers. No one knew what they thought they did, no one said Nancy was pregnant, but people suspected it by the fact that Pete had moved in with her. Everyone wanted to know but no one asked or said anything. Chip was on that side, missing every opportunity he could to confront Nancy. He wanted to ask, but at the same time he had love for her and didn't want to upset her, so he opted to keep his mouth shut.

No one did or said anything. No one could see Nancy's stomach growing.

1998 arrived fast, with Nancy and Pete both working themselves every waking hour. They barely saw each other, both assumed that this was good, things would be better in the long run. Between them, they each watched after Alma and made sure she was alright before they would head out. The evenings out with friends were slim to rare, Pete seemed to be able to hang out ever now and then. The only time anyone ever saw Nancy is when they would go out to eat and sit in her section or order from her at the drive in.

In February, just before Valentine's Day, due to a blizzard, they both finally got time off. Nancy had finally washed her clothes, while Pete had brought home pizza and cooked noodles for Alma. Pete smiled when he saw Nancy emerge from the basement, carrying a basket full of warm clothes on her hip, "God, do I still smell like French fries?"

Pete chuckled as she held her long black hair over his nose, "Nah...you smell like chicken nuggets."

Nancy laughed and nudged him, "Jerk."

"I feel like I haven't seen you in forever," Pete said as Nancy adjusted the basket on her hip.

"That's because you sleep downstairs, dude," she answered.

"I guess that means you want me to move upstairs?"

"Yep," she smiled at him, then kissed his cheek. "I'm gonna go fold these, check on gram, shower and come and eat. Then you can have me all to yourself."

Pete gave a mocking cheer, jumping up, "Yay!"

Nancy shook her head, "Don't be a jerk."

Pete just laughed, "I'll always be a jerk!"

Nancy headed upstairs, exhaling softly as nausea washed through her. As of lately the nausea came second to her hunger pains and the ache in her back and ankles. She was already sick of being pregnant and she was barely far along; she had a little belly, but you couldn't see it under her sweatshirts. The only thing that soothed her was Alma and her sweet words. She couldn't wait to talk to Alma as soon as she reached the top of the stairs.

Nancy knocked on Alma's door, gaining no response, "Gram, I got some warm socks here if you need 'em."

There wasn't a sound, so Nancy opened the door, "I hope I'm not waking you."

Alma laid in her bed, eyes shut, body still and tucked beneath the covers. It had only been 30 minutes since Pete last spoke to her, having gotten the request for chicken noodle soup. Nancy let herself in, setting the basket on the floor and went to her grandmother's side. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary until Nancy put her hand on Alma's forehead.

Her skin was clammy, warm, having gotten cool fast. Still, Nancy retracted her arm as if the touch was scorching, "Gram?"

Nancy felt dread fill her gut, her hand shaking to reach out and touch Alma. Nancy shook her arm and found her body limp, she jumped and rushed out of the room, "Pete! Pete!"


The medical examiner said the cause of death was old age. This alone made Nancy bawl even harder than she already was. Her stomach was in knots and bile continuously filled her throat. She spent the good part of her night and the next morning kneeling over the toilet while Pete rubbed her back. She even fell asleep against the tub, refusing to move or leave the bathroom.

Pete was beckoned to leave at the order of police officers. They said that Pete and Nancy were too young to be on their own, that was until Pete explained the situation; Nancy was pregnant, had no other family, neither did he. The officers allowed them a week to get their things together while they found relatives for them.

The only thing Pete could do was call his mother. His mother would help them because he and Nancy were desperate. Of course, Dale answered and rushed right over.

"When did this happen?" Dale asked Pete softly, assuring she wouldn't upset Nancy.

"Cy's asleep, you don't half to whisper," he told his mother. "Alma died the day before yesterday...Saturday. The police are calling her aunt and uncle."

"Are they going--"

Pete cut his mother off, "They don't want anything to do with Nancy."

Dale sighed, "Well..."

They were both silent, until Dale let the motherly compassion of her soul shine, "Okay, you help Nancy get her things together, you two will move into the basement."

"Where?" Pete asked confused.

"At home," Dale told him. "Your father won't like it, but you two have nowhere else to go. You'll be moved in by the end of the week, we'll let her aunt and uncle decide what to do with the house."

"Are you sure mom?" Pete bit at his lip.

"I am positive. Where's Nancy? I'll explain everything to her."

Pete could only nod, "Follow me."

Pete led his mother up the stairs and to the left of the bathroom. Dale was shocked to see Nancy sitting next to the bathtub. Nancy have groaned, her head rolling to one side, her cheeks stained from the tears she had shed from the sickness and the mourning.

Dale surpassed Pete and knelt to Nancy, "Nancy, honey? Are you okay?"

"No," she grumbled. "I'm not okay."

Dale looked her over, "I'm--we're gonna take you to our house, Nancy. I'm going to feed you and get you better."

"I don't wanna go," she sobbed. "I don't wanna go anywhere."

"Please?" Pete spoke desperately. "My mom wants to help."

Nancy shook her head, "I can't leave Gram."

Dale looked at Pete, obviously saddened. She focused back on Nancy, "Nancy, it'll be okay, I'm gonna take care of you."

Nancy just broke down and began to cry and shake. Dale motioned Pete over, "Help me get her up, Pete."

Together, Dale and Pete carried Nancy to her bedroom where they helped her get dressed and put her boots on. It finally dawned on Nancy that she needed to get up and leave, no matter how bad it hurt. She pulled her sweatshirt on and pulled the hood over her head, "I can walk," she mentioned tiredly.

"I'll get some of your clothes," Pete told her, then kissed her cheek.

Nancy sat on the bed, Dale sat beside her, "You're gonna stay with us now, okay? We'll help you take care of everything."

Nancy could barely form words, she felt choked up from the comforting and caring words. She hadn't had motherly love in such a long time, she was about ready to cry again. She wiped her face and exhaled, "T-thank you, Mrs. Wentz."

"Call me Dale, honey. I'll take care of you, now. You and my grandbaby."

Nancy smiled softly, forcing it, "Thanks."

Dale rubbed her back, "You don't have to thank me. All you have to do is get better, take care of that little one cookin' in your belly."

"I'm trying," Nancy murmured, sniffling, "but it's like the world is trying to break me down."

"I'm here now and I'm going to build you back up, don't worry about a thing."

Nancy just smiled, this time it came genuinely. Though her heart was broken and her body ached, she was happy to have another person in her corner.


Pete helped his mother and siblings bring down one of the twin beds down to the basement. It was warm and comfortable from the heater going and flowing through the house. The basement had already been set up as the kids' hangout room, so it had a television, a small fridge and cooler stock of frozen food. Dale made a point that Nancy and Pete would have breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday and both weren't going to work so hard. For the time being, Nancy was to be taken care of until the baby was born - Dale had informed the family.

Dale made up the bed and helped Nancy in, covering her and making sure she was comfortable. Nancy appreciated all this, she thanked Dale continuously, well until she fell asleep. Dale had accepted her thanks and watched over, and when she fell asleep, she returned upstairs to prepare to break the news to her husband.

Pete began to move things around to make the basement their own. He had a plan to save up to get his own apartment with Nancy after he graduated. He didn't want to live with his father dominating upstairs; yes, he loves his mother, brother and sister, he couldn't live with his father. He knew as soon as his father knew he and Nancy were in the basement, there would be a rampage and he couldn't live with it forever, he needed his own space, he, Nancy and their baby. But not so soon, he wanted Nancy to mourn and to get herself together before thrusting her into another situation that could harm her mentally, he wanted Nancy to be well enough to move on with him.

He finished placing their clothes in a basket until they got a dresser, and laid with Nancy. She slept on her back, her hand placed on her small round belly, while her arm rested just above it. Her stomach was noticeable in the pink long sleeve t-shirt she wore, there wasn't a coat to hide it, and it made Pete smile. He hadn't been able to see it every second, but the times he did it made his stomach flip. He slowly placed his palm over her small protruding belly and tried to feel anything, hoping at a little 4 months the baby would feel him there and move.

Pete waited and waited, falling asleep in the process. He wasn't disappointed, he was happy to even see that his child was there me growing. Before falling asleep, though, he leaned over and kissed Nancy's forehead, and snuggled close to her.
♠ ♠ ♠
That was a sad chapter, I know.
Aside from that, there's a part in their that I stole from my life; my boyfriend used to work and McDonalds and would come home smelling like French fries and he used to make me smell his arm and ask if he smelled like French fries, and he did lol he works at Starbucks now and smells like coffee beans when he comes home

Now, tell me what you think :)