The Fast Times

Twenty Five

In the examination room, Nancy was informed the sickness was caused by heavy stress and was advised to put herself in a less stressful environment. Dale had smiled at Dr. Waziack and assured him she was taking care of Nancy and no more stress was going on. Nancy felt that it was true, Dale meant it, too, because she wanted Nancy and her future grandchild to be happy and healthy.

The doctor preformed an ultrasound to make sure the baby was alright. What they saw was a very active baby at such an early stage. He and the ultrasound technician pointed out all limbs and even slipped what the baby's sex was.

"He's pretty healthy, Nancy," Dr. Waziack said, "a healthy baby boy."

Both Dale and Nancy's hearts nearly stopped. Dale's jaw even slacked, "A boy?"

The doctor nodded, "Yep."

Nancy blinked rapidly, her eyes glued to the fuzzy greyscale screen, trying to find where he could tell. All she could see was a large kidney bean, not a baby, and she definitely couldn't tell that it was a boy; "How can you tell?" She asked.

The technician giggled and pointed to small abnormal blob near the baby's tummy, "There's his penis."

Both tilted their heads and looked harder, "I still can't tell," Nancy mumbled.

"You'll be able to tell soon," the technician told her.

After she was all cleaned up and given a prescription for liquid anti-nausea medication, Nancy and Dale headed out. Dale had a small smile on her face, her eyes drifting to the folder in Nancy's hands; in there were photos of the baby -her grandson.

"Are you going to tell Pete?" Dale asked.

Nancy suddenly blushed and smiled herself, "Yeah. Do you think he'll be excited?"

Dale nodded, "I think he will. I can't wait to tell Peter, maybe he'll come around. He has another boy to carry on his namesake."

Nancy smiled wider at the thought of Peter finally accepting her. More so of the fact he'd stop being so angry and be around his family again. She didn't care if he ever talked to her, she only wanted him to be back with his family.

She prayed to herself that this would turn everything around.


Pete had gotten through the first 3 periods easily, but the rumors and whispers were all too apparent and all over the place. As soon as he saw Andy, Nick and Chris, he asked who told; immediately they all denied it, and Pete knew they were telling the truth. Nick had information though, and when lunch time rolled around, he let it loose.

"Penny Gentile started it," Nick announced. "She said it first, that's what I heard."

Pete looked over at Penny Gentile; a long dark hair, olive skinned girl with equally dark eyes. She had been friends with Nancy and he wondered if she just made it up without knowing it was the truth. Pete shook his head, "Why though?"

"It's fuckin' boring here," Andy answered. "How else are these supposed to be entertained? They make up rumors."

"How's Cy holding up?" Rae asked Pete.

Pete looked over at her, "She's okay. She went to the doctor today...I think she's gonna come back to school tomorrow."

"If she needs anything, let us know, yeah?"

"I will, thanks," Pete smiled half-heartedly.

After lunch, he headed off to his classes, going about his day. At the end of gym, though, he was catching glances from Chip and his friends. Pete sighed inwardly watching their eyes shift and their talking speed up. Andy put his hand on Pete's shoulder, noticing the glances himself, "Yo, ignore them, Pete."

"I am," Pete grumbled.

Pete and Andy continued pretending to play basketball to appease their PE teacher. They passed the ball, made shots, missing, but catching the ball. Just before the bell was to ring, Chip and his 3 friends approached them.

Chip was angry, jealous and full of rage. He was feeling hurt and he wanted Pete, and even Nancy, to feel hurt. He wanted everyone around him to be hurt and angry.

"You little shit," Chip spat, "you think you've got it all just because Nancy's pregnant?"

Pete sighed, "Look, Chip, I don't wanna--"

Chip cut him off, "You think it's your baby, too, Wentz?"

"I know--"

Again, Chip cut him off, "You know what? Did you know me and her were still fuckin'?"

Pete's eyes narrowed, "What the fuck do you think you're doing making shit up?"

"I'm not making it up," Chip shoved him in his chest, "ask her yourself. It could be my baby."

Pete frowned, "No it's not."

"You wanna bet?"

The overwhelming need to hit Chip washed over Pete. He swallowed and stepped back, "Chip, I don't--"

Chip shoved him again, "Fuck you."

Pete gritted his teeth, "I can't hit you, Chip."

"Why?" He snarled and taunted, "You afraid to?"

"No. I just can't," his jaw set.

"Well I can," Chip spit and hit Pete in his gut.

Pete doubled over and grunted, and immediately Andy jumped in, hitting Chip. This was a repeat of what happened just a few months back. Only this time, it went on longer than the last time; Pete was limping towards the bench, trying to catch his breath. The PE teacher quickly broke up the fight and sent Andy out, then the Chip and his friends. The bell rang less than a minute after and Pete struggled to stand and breathe, but managed to after a few minutes with pain shooting through his gut.

"Pete!"

Pete looked over at the exit to see Andy and Chris. Andy had a bloodied lip and his face was bright red; "Shit. You alright?" Pete asked.

"I'm fine," Andy put his arm around Pete me torso, helping him walk. "How are you?"

Pete hissed at the sharp pains shooting around his gut, "I think he rearranged my intestines."

Andy and Chris helped him to the locker room, got his things without changing and headed to the car. Pete winced when he finally sat in the driver side, "Gimme a cigarette," he told Chris.

Chris did so, lighting it for him, "Can you drive?"

Pete nodded, "Yeah. Can I go over to yours for a bit?"

"Sure, but what about Cy?"

Pete exhaled, the pains dulling now, "I don't wanna be around her for a little while."

Andy frowned, "Dude, you don't believe Chip do you? That guy has had it out for you for years."

Pete shrugged to this, "I just don't wanna be around the house. My dad's pissed off, my parents are arguing and I don't wanna hear Cy crying again. I just need some time to myself."

Chris and Andy looked at each, unsure if what to think and say. All Chris said was, "Okay."


Nancy and Dale waited all afternoon and evening for Pete, but he didn't show. They even ate dinner and had gone to bed, still he hadn't come home. Nancy was confused and wondered what was wrong or if he was hurt; she had called everyone, but no one had seen him since 5, after he left Chris's.

It was around 1AM when Pete came stumbling down the basement stairs. He hadn't been loud enough for his mother to hear, only Nancy heard him. She heard him curse and stumble; she sat up and squinted at the light at the top of the stairs across the room; "Pete?"

Pete made it to the bottom floor, "Hey," he murmured.

"Where have you been?" She asked.

Pete turned on the tall lounge lamp, causing them both to squint at the bright light. He rubbed his eyes, "I went out with Andy. We got tattoos."

Nancy frowned slightly, eyes still squinted, "What'd you get?"

Pete went over and sat on the bed, "Somethin' on my back."

Pete unzipped his hoodie, dropped it and then pulled his shirt off. In the middle of his back was what he described as a picture of Earth. It was red, bloody and the skin was swollen and had risen. Nancy touched it, it was wet with little blood and ointment, "Does it hurt?"

"Nah, I'm a little stoned," he told her. "How does it look?"

"Like it hurts," she answered with a grimace.

Pete stood, rubbed his face and pulled his shirt back on, "That's where I been all day."

Nancy let that all go and smiled, remembering the good news she had to tell him, "Hey, me and your mom found out what the baby's gonna be. We got new ultrasound pictures too. You wanna see?"

Pete shook his head and headed to turn out the light, "Nah, I'm tired."

She frowned again, the room engulfed in dim darkness, "Oh...well, it's a boy...your mom was gonna tell your dad, but he didn't come home tonight."

Pete climbed into the bed after kicking off his shoes and jeans, "Good."

Nancy could feel there was something more going on with Pete. She watched him as he settled himself in bed, "Pete, is everything okay?"

To him, at that moment, everything was fine. He was high and had forgotten about Chip laughing and punching him. He forgot about what Chip had said and the fact he was starting to have doubts about the baby himself.

"Yeah, everything's cool, Cy."

She laid with him, "I missed you today."

"Sorry," he mumbled against the pillow, facing away from her.

"It's okay," she murmured, her hand falling on his hip as she may sideways towards his back.

Pete sighed and rolled over, his mind in a daze. He didn't feel the doubt or was angry at Nancy or Chip, or anyone for that matter. He scooted closer, placing his arms around her quickly and pulled her body towards his. Pete kissed her softly at first, gradually building it; he grunted against her mouth, bucking his hips against hers.

He abruptly pulled away because his hand had brushed over her pregnant bump. All the anger and annoyance came flooding back. When Nancy went to kiss him again, he turned away, "We can't."

Nancy frowned, feeling frustrated, "Why? What's wrong?"

Pete just shook his cloudy, anger filled head, "Because we can't."

She sighed, "What's wrong?" She repeated.

Pete was on the verge of snapping at her, but he held it in, "I don't want to, okay? Just go to sleep, Nancy."

Nancy coiled back like she had been slapped. His words had a sharp edge to them, making Nancy feel a little hurt. She swallowed and didn't say anything else, she simply rolled over, feeling quite embarrassed as well, and held her pillow tight. She bit down on her bottom lip to keep from crying; she wanted nothing more than to disappear. Pete could feel the awkwardness of it all and tried to push it away, shutting his tired eyes to sleep.

Both went to bed with heavy thoughts.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm still in the hospital, had tubes down my throat and nose and I feel okay again. I wrote this chapter out of boredom so I hope it isn't too bad. I've got this story planned, so just because I was bored doesn't mean I diverted from the plan, so I hope you guys like it :)

Pete's tattoo

xxali