The Fast Times

Twenty Seven

Pete walked into the school grounds and immediately looked for Nancy. He walked past familiar faces and kept his eyes opened for her. He spotted Rae and rushed over, grabbing her elbow, "Hey, have you seen Nancy?"

Rae shook her head, "No. She isn't with you?"

Pete exhaled, "Nah, we had a argument and she left this morning."

Rae frowned at him, "What did you do?"

"It was just a little argument," he muttered. "If you see her tell her I'm looking for her."

Rae crossed her arms, "Now why should I?"

"Because I wanna talk to her," Pete exclaimed, "please, that's all I want! I just wanna talk to her."

Rae rolled her eyes, "Yeah, sure, whatever."

"Thanks," he said shortly, heading off.

Pete continued off down the hall towards Nancy's locker, still looking around for any sign of her. He leaned against her locker, waiting, watching as everyone passed by without giving him a second glance. Pete's leg bounced as he waited, he grew anxious and impatient.


"I don't know if I want to go back," Nancy confessed to Chip. "I don't want to go back to school."

"I'm sorry about everything, Cy," Chip muttered. "I...I know I'm...I'm an asshole for sayin' the shit I did."

"Did you start the rumors?"

Chip shook his head, "No, I just heard it around. I got mad and...I wanted to piss you off, piss Wentz off."

"You didn't have to do that. You should've just come to me."

"I was mad, alright? I'm sorry. I didn't know what the hell I was really thinking except to make you mad."

"Why?"

Chip shrugged sheepishly, "I...I don't know."

"You do know," Nancy muttered. "You're jealous, aren't you?"

Chip was stone faced. He didn't want to admit it.

"You're stupid, Chip. You shouldn't be jealous of Pete," she growled angrily. "You don't want this, you don't want to be a dad when you're 18, Chipper."

Chip exhaled, "Yeah...I know."

"Then think before you do something stupid. I didn't think, and look at me; I'm pregnant and I don't have anything left."

He looked over at Nancy, "I really am sorry, Cy. Do you need anything?"

She shook her head, "No, I don't. My uncle just gave me some money."

"Did I mess up things with you and Wentz?"

Nancy was quiet for a moment, then she shrugged, "I dunno."

"If you need anything you can always call me," Chip offered quietly.

"Thanks," Nancy murmured. "I should go now...I'm gonna go look for another job...an apartment or something--"

Chip cut her off, "I'll rent one for you, ya'know since you're 16..."

Nancy smiled appreciatively, "Thanks."

"It's...the least I could do."

She nodded shortly, "I'll call ya, Chip. I should get to school."

"Yeah," he agreed. "I won't bother you...sorry."

Nancy tweaked her lips, "I forgive you. Just leave Pete and his friends alone, okay?"

"We will."

Nancy gave Chip one last hug before leaving. Some weight had lifted from her shoulders, but she was still dreading going back to school. She even hesitated to get out of her car when she parked in the student parking lot. Sighing and swallowing her nervousness, Nancy climbed out and made her way to the front office.


Pete had gone 3 periods without seeing Nancy. He ran to her when he spotted her in the hallway. He cornered her, grabbing her arm, "Nancy! Shit, where were you this morning? Where'd you go?"

Nancy looked at him; her anger towards him was flat, it was gone. She still wanted to smack him though, she wanted to ignore him and make him feel like shit.

"I'm leaving."

That was all that she could think to say.

"You're leaving?" Pete questioned; his grip on her arm was gentle, but firm; he wouldn't let go.

Nancy nodded, "Norman wired me some money and I'm...I'm not gonna stay at your house anymore. I don't want to live there where everyone thinks I'm some big slut."

Pete let her go, "Cy, I didn't say--"

"You didn't have to say it for me to know what you think of me," she sputtered, "I don't want to be with someone who thinks so badly of me--"

"I don't think that!" He exclaimed, "I was being stupid! Chip got to me and I don't believe him! I'm sorry I accused you, I know you--"

"I want to be by myself," she said over him. "I don't want to be with you. I don't want to be with anyone. Maybe my family dying is a sign that I should be by myself--"

"That's stupid," Pete grunted shortly. "Who's gonna take care of you? Where are you even gonna go?"

"I'm getting an apartment..." She hesitated to say more. "I'll be okay. I can take care of myself and I...I can take care of my baby--"

"It's not just yours," Pete growled. "Don't be selfish, Nancy--"

"Selfish?!" She barked, "Me? Are you--I am not being selfish! I'm giving you and your family space so your parents don't break up! I'm giving you your life back!"

By this time everyone heading to lunch was staring. Pete and Nancy could feel eyes on them, but they didn't care.

Pete's jaw tightened, and he grabbed her arm again, "Lets go to the car," he ordered.

"Let go of me," she hissed and yanked her arm away.

Nancy shut her locker, making sure to grab her car keys and led the way to the parking lot. Senior students were allowed off campus for lunch; Pete took the keys from her and climbed in the driver side. Nancy sighed and got in the passenger side, placing her bag on her lap.

Pete started the car, "I'm starving and I bet you are too."

Nancy rolled her eyes, holding in a retort. Pete could feel the annoyance radiating off of her, he hated the way this was turning out. He started to head towards a fast food place nearby, his mind filling with things to say and curiosity was probing him.

"What do you mean you're giving me my life back?" He finally asked when they pulled into the parking lot of a McDonald's.

Nancy crossed her arms over her chest, "You're gonna go to Columbia. By yourself."

Pete parked and shut the car off, "What the hell is that suppose to mean?"

Nancy stared straight ahead as Pete turned in his seat to look at her, "It means just the way I said it. You're going to Columbia by yourself, with your scholarship. You're gonna go to school, do whatever the hell you wanna do."

"And you think I want that?"

Nancy looked at him, "Of course you do! That's what you're supposed to want!"

"That's not what I want."

She rolled her eyes, "Don't give me a sappy speech about how you want me and the baby there, because that's a lie. No guy wants a kid to tie them down, and I'm giving you a chance to have your life back."

Pete felt angry. He couldn't think of a single thing to say, so many things were rushing through his mind.

"I'm gonna stay here," Nancy continued, "I'm going to get a job, have the baby...maybe if I can manage, I'll keep it--"

"What do you mean?" He found himself asking.

Nancy finally looked at him, "I think it'll be a lot easier if I gave it up for adoption."

Pete's jaw slacked, "No."

Nancy looked away, "I already decided. I don't want to burden you...I don't like how much your dad hates the mistake you made and I don't want--"

Pete cut her off, "What about what I want? You're being selfish!"

Nancy shot her eyes back over at him, "I am not being selfish! I told you I'm giving you--"

"I don't want that!" Pete snapped at her. "I don't want my life back! I want that life!" He pointed to her stomach. "I want my baby!"

Nancy diverted her eyes again, her throat catching and her eyes burning. She continued to deny everything Pete was saying; "Don't be stupid."

Pete shook his head, "I'm already stupid, Cy. I got you pregnant and you know what? That's not the worst thing that's happened to me, okay? I love the baby and I love you and I love that I'm gonna be a dad."

"You're being dumb," tears rolled down her cheeks, "you're being an idiot."

"So what?"

"I already decided," she spat, "I don't want it. I don't want you. I don't want anything."

"You're lying," Pete muttered, "and I don't know why."

"I'm not lying. I'm tired of everyone thinking I'm a slut! I just want my life back!" She started to cry, "I want my parents back and I want my grandma back. I want Darla to love me again. I'm tired of carrying around this constant reminder of how badly I messed up my life, under my coat!"

Pete could only look at her, feeling sorry for her; "Cy..."

She looked at him, "Why won't you just take what I'm offering you? You and your family can pretend like this never happened and you can go to college, play soccer, and graduate and meet someone else and have babies you can plan and want."

"I want our baby," he told her. "Ever since I found out, I've wanted them, and you."

She shook her head, "You shouldn't."

"I don't care what my dad thinks or what he says. He doesn't understand. My mom loves the baby too, you think she'd let you just give the baby away?"

"I wasn't gonna tell her," Nancy sniffed. "I just wanted to get my stuff and leave you guys alone."

"That's not gonna work on my mom."

Nancy shook her head and sniffed again, "I'm still leaving. I can't be there."

"Then I'm coming with you," Pete said.

Nancy exhaled, feeling defeated.