The Fast Times

Thirty *

The next few weeks were the same as the last; Pete and Nancy went to school, went to work, came home and did homework before crashing. Nancy pushed herself to keep her mind busy; she wanted to make sure she never stopped to hear what everyone had to say about her and Pete. Pete was the same, but he missed having just a little moment of intimacy with Nancy; she was either working or sleeping; in between she was either doing her homework or eating. He was a little frustrated he never got any time alone with her. The alone time they got was them sleeping beside each other or in the car to school and work.

Pete had to let that go, because he knew that in the end they'd have some time sooner or later. He made sure to get his housing and classes ready for college. He and his mother looked at apartments off campus and made a few arrangements to visit in April.

It was in March that Pete and Nancy were finally alone. Andrew and Hilary were off at friends for spring break, Dale was visiting her friends as well and of course Peter was out. Nancy was lying on the bed with envelopes addressed to her, letting out sighs here and there, while Pete was across the room, rolling a joint.

"Why do you keep sighing?" Pete asked absentmindedly.

Nancy shot a glare at him, "I have lots of bills," she snapped, growling as she spoke, "I've got to pay doctors visits and for my vitamins and prenatal pills, that's why I'm sighing, Pete."

Pete looked up at her, shocked, "Sorry, I was just--"

"And do you really need to be smoking that crap?" She barked, "Do you wanna go to jail? Or do you wanna just be a pothead in and out of jail for the rest of your life? You know that shit is illegal, don't you? Are you stupid?"

Pete's brows furrowed, "What's up your ass?"

"Up my ass?" She struggled to get off the bed, but did so successfully, "I'm 5 months pregnant, living in a basement with a pothead and a water heater, paying for stupid doctor visits because I don't have insurance! That's what's up my ass, Pete!"

Pete knew she wasn't mad at him, it was her wild mood swings. He hadn't seen them in full swing, but every now and then they came out. Now, he was regretting wanting to be alone with Nancy, because of the way she was acting.

"I'm stressed out!" She went on, "My feet hurt, my back hurts, I'm hungry, I'm gassy, I'm tired and I have to work all the frickin' time! God, all I want is a break and you come down here, smelling like fuckin' Cheech and Chong, asking me what's up my ass! You're so annoying!"

Pete let her shout and belittle him, because he knew she was just mad. He was actually enjoying her outburst, he thought she looked cute when she got mad. Her lips curled and her brows creased in a way that made him smile.

"You think this is funny?!" Nancy growled when she noticed him smiling. "You try and be pregnant! You try and have this stomach and eat and have people staring at you all the time! It's not funny, Pete!"

Her voice cracked, to which Pete stood up and walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her. Nancy immediately broke down and started to cry. She buried her face into his shoulder and cried; her fists balled his shirt.

Pete rubbed her back, pulling her closer to him, encouraging her to let it all out. He kissed the top of her head and made her feel love and comfort. He murmured apologies to her, making sure she heard how sorry he was for getting her pregnant and for saying whatever he said to tick her off. Nancy sniffed and rubbed her eyes against his shirt, smearing what little makeup she had, had on. Pete didn't move or recoil, he let her destroy his shirt.

Nancy pulled back, gently, "I'm sorry."

Pete shook his head, "It's cool, Cy, I know it's hard for you right now. We're almost finished; 4 more months."

Nancy sniffed again, "I can't help it, I just wanna rage. I wanna cry and then I wanna set things on fire! I feel like I'm goin' crazy."

Pete kissed her forehead, "Then go crazy."

"I'm such a bitch."

He laughed, rubbing her back, "Yeah, but so what? I love that you're a bitch."

Nancy laughed and slugged his shoulder gently, "Shut up."

Pete smiled and kissed her head again, "Do you feel better?"

She nodded slowly, "A little, yeah."

"I won't go out and smoke," Pete sat her back on the bed and sat with her, "I only smoke to clear my head, ya'know. I've been stressed about school and work too...how come you don't have insurance?"

"I was on Gram's...since she died, I'm not covered. My jobs don't have all those benefits because I'm just a kid; I've got to pay out of pocket, and then the hospital stay is gonna cost so much," Nancy mumbled the last bit, "I'm using all the money Norman sent me."

Pete bit at his lip, thinking, "I'm covered with my job at the recycling place, maybe I can get you on it until we have the baby."

Nancy sighed, "Pete, you don't have to--"

"Yeah, I do," he said, "we need the money for the baby."

"It is for the baby; I'm paying for the check ups and birth."

"Lemme just talk to my boss, okay?"

Nancy knew Pete wasn't gonna let it go, so she agreed, "Okay."

"I'll talk to Mr. Logan and see what we can do," Pete continued, "he said they'd help us. We don't have to struggle, Cy, if we don't have to."

Nancy nodded, agreeing with Pete, "Okay. Not unless it's any trouble...I don't wanna force anyone to do anything for me."

"It won't be trouble," Pete affirmed, "and we need all the help we can get."

Nancy exhaled, "Yeah, we do."

"Lemme take care of it, lemme see what we can do."

Nancy finally let her reign go.

"Alright, Pete."

Pete kissed her lips, "I love you, Cy."

"I love you too, Pete."


That night, after everyone had come home, had dinner and went to bed, Pete stayed up thinking about everything. He was constantly thinking, thinking about his future and his child, but now the thoughts were more intense. When he thought about his son, intently, his stomach knotted almost viciously, to the point he would double over and grin.

Now, he lay on his back and saying his son's name in his head, over and over again. Nathaniel Tyler Wentz. He grinned at the fact that he was having a son, and the thought both excited him and terrified him.

He rolled onto his side and wrapped his arm around Nancy's pregnant stomach. He felt adrenaline and love; Nancy was barely asleep, having eaten until she was about to puke, but it settled and now she was fatigued and sleepy. She felt Pete close to her, she scooted in toward him, "You okay?"

Pete hummed, "Yeah."

He leaned over and kissed her; it was a quick kiss, he lingered against her face, moving his lips against hers. Nancy hummed, "What're you doin'?" Her voice muffled against his mouth.

Pete didn't answer, he kissed her harder, pulling her closer to him, slipping his hand under her shirt. She let out a sigh, "Slow down," she murmured.

Pete pulled away, "Can we...?"

Nancy nodded in the dim lighting, "We have to be quiet."

"The basement is sound proof."

Nancy kissed him again, letting his hand roam up her shirt and against her bare breast. She sighed again, his hand groping her breast gently, but urgently. Pete yanked at her shorts, trying to feel any part of her; butterflies erupted in his gut when his hand skimmed over her belly.

Just as their bottoms disappeared, Nancy stopped him; "How do we do this?"

Pete thought for a moment, "You wanna be on top?"

Nancy blushed and shook her head, "No."

Pete bit at his lip, thinking hard before he lost his erection; "Uh...on your knees?"

Nancy shook her head, "No...what if I lay on my side? Like we're...like this," she rolled onto her left side, and led Pete's hand over her hip to her core.

Pete touched her, not saying a word; he obviously agreed, rearing up behind her and kissing the back of her neck. Nancy sighed, feeling his hardness rubbing against her bottom; Pete lifted her thigh just a little, and guided his cock into her, groaning softly at how wet she already was; Nancy whimpered, "Oh my, God..."

Pete kissed her shoulder repeatedly, fighting the urge to thrust, "Am I hurting you?"

She shook her head, "Not really...it's just...it kinda hurts."

Pete kissed behind her ear, causing her to groan pleasurably and shiver. He grinned, "I'll go slow."

"Please."

Pete bit down on his bottom lip, slowly pushing into Nancy, feeling her clamp down around him. He could barely control his actions; he started slow, holding back as he did so. She whimpered more, grabbing his hand to hold while her arousal bubbled so quickly. Pete buried his face into the back of her neck as he began to speed up, grunting wantonly, "Faster?"

Nancy moaned, unable to form words; she nodded vigorously. Pete sped up, pulling her bottom closer to her, one hand gripping her breasts and his fingers running over her nipples. He was too excited to think or do much else but rock his hips against her fast.

Nancy whimpered, feeling her peak hit like a wave; her back arched and she cried his name against the pillow. Pete grabbed her hip and continued, thrusting deeper into her until his stomach cramped and his orgasm crashed through him. He emptied his seed into her, his face buried into her neck this time; his mouth attaching to available skin.

Pete nuzzled his face into her neck once his body relaxed and he slipped out of her. Nancy leaned her body back and lifted Pete's hand to rest on her belly.

"Love you," Pete murmured against her ear.

Nancy sighed contently, "I love you too."

Pete lay there, contently, holding Nancy comfortably. His head was all fuzzy from his feelings about her; he felt overwhelmingly overcome with happiness and protectiveness. He wanted nothing more than to take care of Nancy, even if she didn't want him to.

•••

The following week, when the two arrived at school, Pete went straight to the office, wanting to speak to Mr. Logan first before he would forget all the things he and Nancy had spoken about. They both needed insurance for their baby until Pete would attend Columbia in September, where everything would be paid for; they would be able to work and pay for their baby's needs on their own then. They didn't want to collect debt already, before they even started their lives on their own.

"Hello, Pete," Mr. Logan greeted, fixing his tie as he and Pete sat. "How are you, how is Nancy?"

"We're okay," Pete cleared his throat, "uh, the baby is okay too. But, uh, you said if we needed anything that you'd help."

Logan nodded, "I did, and I'm happy to help. What's up?"

Pete adjusted in his seat, "We--well, Cy and the baby need insurance. I just found out that she's paying out of pocket for doctor appointments and we'll have to pay for the delivery."

"I see..." He paused, "I knew this would be a problem, since Nancy is now an emancipated minor; her custody was given up be her aunt," Pete nodded to Logan's words. "I looked into this and I found the only way that Nancy would be covered through you is if you two were married."

Pete frowned, "Really? But, the baby is mine, isn't it--"

Logan cut him off, "The baby is, but not until he or she is born."

Pete sighed, "Shit."

"And if Nancy was on welfare, she could be covered, after she goes through--"

"No, she's not gonna go on welfare," Pete stomped the idea out immediately. "So, we have to be married? Have to?"

Logan nodded regrettably, "Unfortunately. Unless you all have thought of it?"

"We didn't want to...I mean, we didn't really talk about it, but Cy doesn't want to."

Logan tweaked his lips, "I'm sorry, Pete, I wish there was another way."

Pete nodded, stood and grabbed his backpack, "Thanks anyway...I'll talk to Nancy...see ya, Mr. Logan."

"Good luck, Pete."
♠ ♠ ♠
I made it uncomfortable on purpose. That's life, guys.