The Fast Times

Thirty Two

Rae embraced Nancy as soon as the girl stepped into her home. Rae was frequently left home alone, with her parents off working at their international shipping jobs, that Rae had little knowledge of, she decided to let Nancy stay until she was ready to go. Rae was hoping she wouldn't go for awhile, she was always home alone and Andy had multiple jobs so he couldn't come over a lot.

"Now," Rae led Nancy up to her large bedroom, "tell me what happened."

Nancy sat on her blood red plush bed, had set her things on the floor near the door, "I lied to him," she mumbled; her tears were gone, her throat was sore, "I had to lie to him."

"To Pete?" Rae questioned.

She nodded, "His dad threatened me."

Nancy began to tell her everything, speaking only the truth. Rae wrapped an arm around her shoulders and let her vent and cry. Nancy finally stopped crying, sniffled and rested her head on Rae's shoulder.

"I'm sorry his dad's a dick," Rae murmured, "but I don't think lying to him was such a good idea."

"There wasn't any way his dad was gonna let me continue to stay there and keep the baby in Pete's life."

"Cy, you didn't have to say the baby is someone else's," Rae said, rubbing her arm, "I think you should go back and tell him the truth."

"I can't," she sobbed, "he hates me. He's better off anyway, Pete doesn't need me to tie him down. He wanted to marry me."

"To take care of you, and your baby," Rae added, "he cares, and it's your guys' baby, not his dad's. You can't keep it from him forever."

"I just want him to be happy," Nancy stood suddenly, "I don't...I barely know Pete and even though I've spent the last 6 months with him, it doesn't mean that I should just mess up his life. This was my mistake, I got drunk and I decided to keep him."

Rae nodded in agreement, "I get where you're coming from, but you can't not let him go through the rest of his life without knowing that the baby is his."

"I won't," Nancy swallowed, "I just need to get my life together...I needed to get away from them...I feel so bad for doing this to his mom though; his mom stuck up for me and took me in, I couldn't repay her back if I was a millionaire."

"You don't need to stress, okay?" Rae stood too, made her way to Nancy and grabbed her shoulders, "Just calm down, I'll call Homers, get a delivery and then we'll watch a movie, alright?"

Nancy agreed; "Don't tell anyone I'm here, okay?"

"Yeah, sure."

Nancy pulled Rae into a hug, "Thank you so much for being here for me."

"Hey, it's no problem at all, Cy."


"I don't believe you," was the first thing Dale said when Pete relayed last nights events that morning.

Coincidently, Peter was finally home, pouring himself a cup of coffee, feeling proud of himself. He heard the whole story, and felt triumphant, hiding his smug smile. He had slept off in the living room and woke up to his wife surprised he was home. When Nancy was brought up, Pete had come in and began to tell his mother everything. Dale did not believe him.

"Everyone was right," Pete muttered, "she is a slut."

Dale almost smacked him, "You take that back! That's your child's mother!"

"That's not my kid," Pete spat, "she lied to me, ma! We dodged a bullet; you should be happy she's gone."

"I'm not, because I believe that baby is ours. Nancy can't just leave," Dale was growing frantic. "Where did she go? I want to go find her--"

"I dunno," Pete said shortly, "she said Norman sent her some money and she went away. Good riddance."

Dale's jaw slacked, "No, no. Nancy can't just leave. What if she gets hurt? She has nowhere to go--"

"She's probably with her baby's daddy," Pete grumbled.

Dale was on the verge of tears, "This can't happen, I have to--"

"Dale," Peter began, "calm down. This is probably a good thing...maybe this wasn't supposed to happen."

Dale shook her head, "No, no, no! Nancy needs us, that baby needs us! That's our grandson!"

"No it's not," Peter placed his hand lovingly on his wife's shoulder, "just relax, okay? You did all you could do, and what does this girl do? She runs off after getting a little money. She was using us."

Dale's eyes burned with tears; they slipped down her cheeks, she quickly wiped them away, "I refuse to believe that. I'm going to find her, and when I do, I'm getting to the bottom of this."

She stomped away, grabbing her purse and coat before heading out the door. Peter sighed, holding in his evil laughter; he looked to his son, seeing him frown as he swirled soggy Trix cereal with his spoon; "You okay, son?"

Pete nodded, "I feel bad for mom, but I'm okay. I'm sorry for choosing her over school."

Peter smiled, only slightly, "Its okay, everything's going to be right again. You shouldn't detour from school anymore."

"Yeah, I know dad. I'm gonna go to Columbia and put this shit out of my mind."

Peter patted his son's shoulder, "Good, that's all you need to do."

•••

It was over 2 weeks since Nancy had left the Wentz household and was staying with Rae, whose parents didn't notice her staying in their guest room. Most nights, Nancy got so lonely, she slept in Rae's room with her.

By that time everyone had heard about Nancy and Pete. Pete had been the one to say; "She's a slut and I never want to see her again," when asked about her. Nancy didn't return to school, she drove to an alternative school all the way in Glenview. She took jobs in Glenview so she wouldn't see anyone in Rogers Park, but she did occasionally see people from school when she was out. The only people who knew where she was staying were Rae, Sabrina, Andy and Patrick; they didn't hang out with her because she didn't want to hang out and she was constantly working, taking any and all jobs that would have her.

Nancy put money aside, making sure she didn't spend all of Peter's money; she planned to pay him back. All the while, Rae promised to help her with her baby, encouraging her to just tell Pete, but she wouldn't. Rae had also promised not to say anything to Pete, but was on the verge when she heard him call Nancy a slut.

"I have to say something," Rae had said to Andy, "I hate that she's crying all the time, it can't be good for her baby, right?"

Andy had shrugged; he had listened to Rae rant about Pete and Nancy's behavior. Rae couldn't hold it in any longer, and Andy was right there to listen. He wasn't sure what to do either, he just didn't want animosity between his friend and girlfriend.

"You should stay out of it," Andy advised, "it's between Cy and Pete."

"Cy is my best friend, I want to help her--I am, and I don't want that prick talking shit."

"He isn't!" Andy exclaimed, "We all hang out, you know he doesn't say anything unless she's brought up, and we don't being her up."

"That baby boy is my god child, I just want the best for him, and what's best is both parents. You see, I don't have my parents here all the time, it gets lonely...things aren't so peachy when you're by yourself."

Andy sighed, "Rae, just let Cy handle it. I know you wanna help, but forcing your way in won't help."

Rae shook her head, "God, I just feel so bad."

"Just be a good friend and help her, that's all ya need to do."

Rae took that advice and sighed softly. She knew Andy was right to some extent.

After another few weeks passed; Nancy had stopped at a fast food place to get lunch after school. She went through the drive thru to avoid the kids from New Trier that she had seen. She sat in her car, after ordering, and began to eat; lately she ate and didn't think, played her music loud so she wouldn't cry and tried to avoid the kicking going on caused by her baby.

As she sucked down her strawberry milkshake, someone knocked on the passenger side window. Nancy had jumped, but looked over and saw Chip there. She didn't know how to feel seeing him there; he motioned for her to unlock the door, so she did without a second thought. Chip slid in, letting out a breathy exhale, "Can't wait till it stops raining! How are you Cy? I haven't seen you in a month."

Nancy shrugged to herself, "I've been okay...I got 3 jobs in Glenview, I'm only a few credits away from actually graduating...I'll have my diploma by December."

Chip's brows shot up, "Oh, wow, really?"

"Yeah. My son is due July 25th...I haven't really picked out a name, probably Tyler after my dad."

"I've been hearing some stuff about you and Wentz..." He trailed, "where you stayin'?"

"With a friend," she answered, reaching into her fast food bag and grabbing an union ring. "I'm gonna go on welfare soon and they're gonna help me with daycare and housing...food stamps, and they're gonna send me to this job training thing so I can have a job in the summer, then I'm gonna take online courses, if I can afford a laptop...I don't think I'll have time to actually go to classes with my baby and all."

"Cy," Chip murmured, "you don't need to go on welfare. I'll help you and your son. I told ya I would help get you an apartment--a condo in the city. We can live together, I'm gonna go to UC, and you can come with me. You can just pay for daycare, I'll take care of everything else."

"I hate mooching off of everyone," she said, "I just wanna do this by myself so I won't have to owe anybody anything."

"You won't owe me anything, Cy," Chip stressed, "I swear, just me and you, and maybe one of my buddies...Austin, maybe, we're not sure. We're gonna move in during summer, and you're more than welcomed, Cy."

Nancy ate mindlessly, "Maybe."

"Who're you stayin' with?"

"Rae...Rae Hunt," she murmured.

"I know her," Chip nodded to himself, "I'm not gonna pressure you or anythin', I just want you to know I'll help you with anything you need. No need to pay me back, I'll help you raise that kid...you really don't know who the dad is?"

Nancy just went along with the lie, "...No," she spoke just above a whisper.

"It's a boy right?"

Nancy licked the salt from her lips, her eyes cast down on her pregnant stomach, "Yeah. It's a boy," she answered.

"Your kid doesn't need to grow up not thinkin' a guy didn't want him, especially the one who made him. You don't needa tell 'im that you didn't know him. I'll be his uncle, ya'know, I'll be there for you, Cy. Whatever you need, I'll help. You look like you could use some new clothes."

She shook her head, "I'm okay. I'm not gonna be big forever...I got a couple of shirts from Rae from when her mom was pregnant...some sweatpants, I'm okay. I'm only getting stuff for my son."

"Nancy, will ya look at me?"

Nancy looked at Chip, "Yeah?"

"I'll give you one of my credit cards so you can get stuff you need and fill up your tank."

"No, Chip, I'm okay. Please, I don't want to be in debt to you."

"I wanna help," he said, "what if I give you $200 so you can get some clothes for you and for your kid? I don't need the money, my dad is loaded, you know that. Money isn't an object."

"I'll feel bad," she said.

"Look," he started again, "I give you $300 and you just move in with me, you help with groceries and cooking and stuff, and teach me how to use a vacuum and we'll call it even, okay?"

Nancy smiled, "You're sweeter than sugar, Chipper. I...I want to stay with Rae...she's a girl, and her parents are always gone...she doesn't want to go to school, she's working and she likes having me around. I don't wanna just leave her."

"What if you both move in with me then? My dad will give me any size condo I want," Chip gave the smile that made knees weak, even Nancy had to swoon.

"I'll ask her, okay?"

Chip nodded and reached into his back pocket, "Here, just get something comfy and kinda stylish, cuz you look like you've been wearing this outfit for ages."

Nancy laughed, "Chipper--"

Chip stopped her, handing her three folded $100 bills, "Please? For me?"

Nancy relented, "Okay, but I am going to pay you back."

"No you're not," Chip smiled and then leaned over to kiss her cheek, "call me, Cy, my number is still the same. I'll be waiting for your call."

Nancy smiled and nodded, watching Chip hop out her car. She sat there for a moment with her milkshake in one hand and $300 in the other. She looked down at herself and noted she did need some new clothes, but she wasn't going to go crazy; she planned to buy a few things, for herself and the baby and give $150 to Rae for her hospitality.

Nancy finished her food and pulled out of the parking lot and headed to the local children and maternity store. She was mentally praying no one she knew would be inside; even if she did, she would keep the hood of her grey hoodie up to hide away. Nancy took a few minutes to exit her car and go inside; she was happy to find the store was nearly empty; the clerk at the front smiled and was unfamiliar to her, so she smiled back and continued on towards the aisles.

Nancy cooed at all the baby clothes she saw; lots of teddy bears and decided on getting a yellow one that had #1 on it's tummy. Her heart skipped as she saw all the cute little things she wanted to get her little baby, wanting to shower him in gifts. She picked out a few onesies, and another stuffed animal that was a purple octopus. She corned around towards the cribs, heading towards the women's clothing and saw a familiar woman looking at a baby blue crib. Nancy had seen the back of her before, but couldn't place it; she nearly jumped 10 feet in the air when the woman turned to the side, revealing herself.

It was none other than Dale Wentz, and she was with her sister. Nancy hadn't met her before, but she had seen her pictures, her name is Danielle. She was a few years older than Dale, and the two were almost identical.

Nancy walked away from her sight, hearing her say something to her sister; "How come you keep torturing yourself Dale?"

Nancy hid behind a changing table, listening; "Because I really think that that baby is my grandson."

"You heard Pete, she lied. I don't think a girl would just make it up, especially after everything you've done for her."

"But why now?" Dale asked shortly. "After her uncle gives her money?"

"Maybe it was enough for her to go away," Danielle offered.

"There's something more to it, I just wish I could catch her. When I'm done with work she's already out of school, or she's off campus doing research. Pete doesn't know where she's staying and I feel lost. I just want to get to the bottom of this."

"Dale, listen to me, Peter was right. That ass was right, and it pains me to say it. That girl probably couldn't take the heat and hopped out the pan, this is a good thing; Pete can go to college without any distraction, he'll go places and won't be tied down. You can't say that this girl leaving isn't a blessing."

Dale sighed, "It's not. I still think that baby is ours, Danielle."

"I think you grew too attached to that conniving girl. You need to focus on Hilary and Andrew...let's get out of here, huh? Pick up Hilly and do a little shopping at the mall."

Dale relented and nodded, "Okay. That sounds better than moping."

Nancy didn't watch them go; she just turned and shut her eyes for a moment. The guilt ate at her continuously.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmm...return to Pete or move in with Chip??
So conflicted!