The Fast Times

Thirty Four

Pete was lying in his bed, up in his bedroom now, thinking about the phone call he received from Rae. It had been hours since, he can't sleep and thinking about Nancy...despite the anger, he feels upset and a little sad. He feels the need to get up, get dressed and go to the hospital, but he doesn't. He continues to lie in bed, wondering about Nancy, wondering if she and her baby were okay. He shut his eyes, trying to shut his mind off and sleep, but his thoughts were almost too much.

After he finally gets some sleep, he headed downstairs where his mother was making breakfast. Dale hadn't been the same since Nancy left, and that added to Pete's sadness; he never wanted his mom to feel bad about this. His father looked unfazed, actually happier since he returned home. His parents were sleeping in the same bed again. Pete hadn't noticed the coincidence.

"You gotta eat before we leave, Pete," Dale said, sliding a plate of eggs, toast and sausage to him, "do you have everything packed?"

Pete gave a nod; he was moving into his off campus student housing at Columbia. He decided to go early to get his mind off Nancy. He already met his roommate and had hit it off with him immediately. Pete was somewhat happy that he was going to New York on his own, and living by himself. Sure, he was nervous, and he let those thoughts consume him so he wouldn't think of Nancy and the baby.

"What time are we leaving?" He asked, picking up his plate and sitting at the table with his brother and sister.

"Uh," Dale looked at her watch, "it's 9, how's 11?"

"Fine with me," he murmured.

Pete ate his food slowly, wondering if he should tell his family about Nancy having her baby. He decided against it, not wanting to upset everyone so early in the morning. He ate until he couldn't anymore, and then put his plate in the sink, avoiding his mother's sadden glances.


Rae and Andy entered Nancy's recovery room, carrying her small overnight bag, their eyes falling on the baby in her one arm. Rae cooed, "Aw, he's--" she paused as soon as she got close to notice the pink blanket and pink hat, "he's a girl?"

Andy laughed to himself, as did Nancy, "The doctor was wrong, little Tyler turned out to be a girl."

Rae smiled again, "Wow. She's a cutie."

"She looks like Pete," Andy said absentmindedly.

Nancy sighed, "Yeah, I know."

Rae decided to not tell Nancy she called Pete, not wanting to upset her, "So, what's her name?"

Nancy shrugged, "I dunno...I had my day nurse bring me a baby naming book."

"Well, we brought you your stuff," Rae set the bag on the floor, "do you know how long you're gonna be here?"

"Til tonight, I think," Nancy said, "I need to go home and call my bosses. You wanna hold her?"

Rae smiled again, "Yeah, of course."

Nancy gently handed over her baby girl; Rae held her gingerly, awing at the fact she looked just like her father. Andy had leaned over, too in shock at how much she resembled Pete, and with subtle looks she had gained from Nancy. Rae held the baby for a minute or so until Mary popped in with the baby's incubator and ice chips with pop.

"Oh, hello," Mary greeted, setting the drink on the side table, "I'm here to take baby girl down to the nursery."

Rae handed over the baby, "Do you know when Nancy and her baby will be able to go home?"

"Most likely tomorrow morning. Her doctor will be coming in the after noon and check her over, and we still gotta find this little cutie a name so we can fill out her birth certificate," Mary placed the baby in her incubator, "you rest up, Nancy."

"I will," Nancy murmured, her fingers waving to her baby as Mary wheeled her out of the room. "I miss her already."

Rae rubbed her shoulder, "You feeling okay?"

Nancy gave a nod, "Yeah...thanks for coming by the way, how'd you know I was here?"

"Sabrina saw you come in," Rae explained, "Patrick chugged an entire bottle of Tabasco sauce and had to be admitted."

Andy and Nancy both laughed; "Oh god."

"I bet he's fine now," Rae waved her hand in the air. "Why didn't you call me?"

"I dunno...I didn't want to bother you."

"Cy, I've been waiting for this moment for awhile now!" Rae exclaimed.

Andy nodded in point, "She has."

Rae handed Nancy her pop can, "Sabrina tried to see you, but they told her you were in delivery and only family could be present."

"How'd you get in?"

"Told 'em I'm your sister," Rae answered, "which I am, since we take care of each other."

Nancy didn't feel that gaping hole of loneliness in the pit of her stomach. She was on the verge of tears, but held them in, "Thanks, Rae."

"Don't mention it," Rae leaned over and kissed the top of her head, "you should get some rest, it's early and I have to drop Andy off, but I'll be back."

"Okay."

Andy patted Nancy's knee, "Congrats."

Nancy smiled, "Thanks, Andy."

With that, Andy and Rae were gone. Nancy laid back in her hospital bed, feeling a lot better than she had. She grabbed the bedside remote and turned on the TV, flipping the channels till she found something she liked. She watched a little before growing tired and still wondering what she'd name her baby girl; so she grabbed the baby naming book and flipped through the pages until her eyes landed on a name that was perfect to her.


Dale flatten the sheets on Pete's double bed in his dorm. She was stalling, not wanting to leave her son just yet. His father was looking around the room, impressed with how clean the house was, and the fact that his son was doing what he wanted him to do.

"Ma, I can make my own bed," Pete griped, "you guys can go now, I'll be fine."

Dale sighed, "You don't think moving in now is too early?"

Pete shook his head, "Nah, I need time to myself, ya'know?"

"Yeah," she frowned slightly, "you take care yourself, Pete. You call me if you're in any trouble."

"I will," Pete gave his mother a reassuring smile. "But I'll be fine here, ma, don't worry."

Dale placed her hands on his shoulders, of course wanting to bring up Nancy, but didn't. She kissed his cheek, rubbing his shoulders lovingly with her palms and let a stray tear fall.

Pete pulled her into an embrace, "I love you."

Dale laughed softly, "Oh, I love you too, Pete."

Peter walked over, patting his son's shoulder when they parted, "Take care of yourself. No funny business."

The underlining tone of that ending sentence had various meanings, and Pete got them. He hummed, wanting to say "I have condoms," but didn't, afraid to tick his dad off. He just reassured his folks that he'd be okay on his own, and guided them out the small 2 bedroom home before going to the kitchen and making himself a sandwich.

All the while, his mind fell back to what Nancy could be doing. He cursed himself angrily, wishing to get his mind off of her. He hated himself for it, but there was a part of him that she had a tight hold of.


"Holliday," Rae said to herself, "how'd you come up with Holliday?"

Nancy gave a shrug as she cradled her baby girl, Holliday, "I just thought it was cute because having her is like my own little holiday, despite how crappy and scary it was."

"What's her middle name?"

"Melody."

Rae smiled, "Sounds like such a cheery...Christmas-y name."

"I like them," she murmured, then looked down at her baby girl, "you like your name, Holly?"

Rae smiled, shaking her head at the cuteness; she noticed Holliday pouting and stirring, "I'm not sure what that means, but it doesn't look good."

Nancy smiled too, still her eyes focused on her baby, "Aw, it'll grow on you, baby girl, I promise."

"So," Rae began, "I've been thinking, since my house is so big and quiet most of the time, and I've been saving up, how about we move into an apartment in the city?"

Nancy's brows rose, "Really?"

"Yes, really," Rae nodded happily, "my parents have been giving me money, and I thought, you know, why not move out on our own? You wanted to go to school, right? And me and Andy work at the tattoo shop, and it's near by...you want to?"

"I don't wanna bother you guys."

"Andy's not gonna live with us," Rae chuckled, "he likes his man cave with his mom."

Nancy smiled, "Okay. You sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure! I'll pay the rent, you know how many kids come into our shop and get pierced? I can handle $450 a month."

Nancy agreed, "Okay, but I can't be much help moving for awhile."

"No sweat! Andy loves heavy lifting."

Nancy giggled, "Well, I guess it would be okay."

"Good, because I've already called and got us a 2 bedroom apartment on the 3rd floor."

Nancy shook her head, laughing, "Well I would've had to say yes."

"Exactly," Rae stated proudly. "Would you like that, little Holly? You wanna live in the big city where you can see the Bean every night?"

Nancy smiled warmly and let Rae take a hold of Holliday. She listened to Rae coo and baby talk to Holliday, feeling warmth and happy inside.
♠ ♠ ♠
There may or may not be a time skip...
What do you think?