The Fast Times

Thirty Five

July 10th, 2000

"Are you ready?"

"Yes!"

"Okay...shut the lights Patrick."

"Happy Birthday to you," the adults in the room began to sing as Nancy carried the small princess cake in.

Holliday sat excited at the table, hopping up and down in her chair, watching her mother bring in the cake. With the candles lit, in her eyes, Holliday thought it was magical. Bit down softly on her bottom lip, seeing her mommy's face glow behind the candles beautifully as her little family sang.

Nancy set the cake down in front of Holliday, singing, "Happy birthday to you! Make a wish, Holly Dolly!"

Holliday inhaled deeply and blew out the 3 candles, causing everyone to clap happily for her. The 3 year old grinned, shaking her dark hair back; Patrick flipped on the lights, "Ready for cake and ice cream, or presents?"

"Um..." Holliday hummed dramatically like it was the biggest decision of her short life, "Both!"

"I'll cut the cake," Sabrina offered.

"I'll get the ice cream," Rae said next, heading to the kitchen.

"Alright," Nancy leaned across the table where the small pile of presents were, "the first one is from Andy."

Andy smiled at Holliday, "I got you something really nice, Smelly Melly."

Holliday made a face at the silly nickname Andy had given her, stemming from her middle name, "What is it?"

"You'll see," Andy nodded towards it, "open it."

Nancy handed her little girl her present and let her rip the shiny purple gift wrapping open. She sat beside her, watching her get excited for the gold bracelets Andy had bought her; she exclaimed, "Thank you, Andy! You're the bestest!"

Nancy bit at her lip, feeling sadden that her little girl didn't have more than the 6 gifts. Things weren't so bad anymore, but money was tight; Nancy had finally saved $10,600, and had to give the 10,000 to Peter. She felt sick writing the check and almost didn't put the stamp on the letter, and had to force herself to stuff it into the mail box.

Since Holliday had been born, Nancy had tried to save every single penny she got. But, when Rae's parents cut her off, the two of them had to share paying rent and find jobs. They were lucky to have Sabrina and Patrick, who recently moved to the 4th floor of their building and agreed to watch Holliday while they had to work. Patrick and Sabrina were both in school, only 2 years left; they love to watch Holliday because she was a great big ball of energy, she was a jokester and loves to laugh; it was rare to ever find her crying. Patrick had grown attached to her, never wanting little Holliday to feel upset about not having a father, but it wasn't a factor to her, she never noticed that she was missing him in her life.

Nancy had contacted Pete once, on Holliday's first birthday, after getting his number from Chris, but all she got was cursed out and told to leave him alone. Then on, Nancy figured it would be a waste to forced Pete to see their daughter. After another 2 years, and telling mutual friends not to bring Pete up, and not to bring Holliday up to Pete, Nancy had gotten over Pete, but holidays were hard, wanting her baby girl to experience all the things she had growing up.

Especially on her birthday, the things Pete had said made Nancy sad and it replayed in her head over and over again. She tried not to, focusing on her daughter's wide grin that was identical to her father's. Holliday's looks grew more similar to Nancy's, with her dark brown hair, her nose and lips, but her hazel eyes were just like Pete's.

"Mama!" Holliday shook Nancy's arm, shaking her thoughts away, "Lookie what Sab'ina buyed me!"

Nancy looked over at the cute blue dress identical to Cinderella's; "That's beautiful, did you thank Sabrina?"

"Thank you, Sab'ina!"

Sabrina kissed her cheek, "You're welcome, Holly Dolly. It goes with Patrick's present to you."

Patrick handed Holliday a gift box with red wrapping, then helped her open it up. Inside was a plastic and rhinestone tiara with a matching jewelry set and star wand. Holliday gasped dramatically, her response to nearly everything exciting to her little life; "Thanks you! Thank you! Ooh, thank you Patrick! I love it so, so, so much!"

Nancy giggled, "That's awesome. You're gonna be a real princess now!"

"Uh-huh! C'n I put it on?"

"After cake," Rae told her, "don't wanna mess it up, do you?"

"Okay."

As everyone got cake and ice cream, they chit-chatted. In the middle of feeding Holliday, Nancy gave her the 2 presents she could afford to give her. They were a little different to the girly presents everyone had gotten her; "You gots me an envelope, mama?" Holliday asked when Nancy gave her a little blue envelope.

"No, you have to open it, baby girl."

Holliday licked chocolate frosting from her lips and then opened the envelope with Nancy's help. Inside was a card with Clifford the Big Red Dog and Emily Elizabeth, that read, "Happy Birthday!" Holliday cooed, "I love Clifford!"

"I know, open it up."

Holliday opened the card, a little musical chip played the instrumental to the birthday song, and $10 fell out. Holliday, again, gasped, "Ooh! Mama can we put this in my fun jar?"

"Yeah, but let me read the card to you, okay?"

Holliday calmed herself in her mama's lap and looked at the inside of the card that had Nancy's smooth handwriting, "Happy birthday my little Holliday. I hope all your dreams come true, no matter how big or small they are. I love you so much, more than you'll ever know; you're the best thing that I've ever made. Love mommy."

Rae and Sabrina awed, Patrick and Andy looked at each other, knowing something they didn't.


Pete was finally coming home after not visiting for over a year. He hadn't found the need to return to Chicago; he was busy with school and hanging out with his new friends. He had a new girlfriend, Crystal, who he hadn't really had a connection with, but being with her passed the time. He wanted to feel something more than just sexual attraction to her. He had successfully gotten Nancy out of his heart and head, but thought of her every now and then, but Crystal always got him to think of something else.

His parents were happy to finally have him back. They hated driving up to New York to see him, and suggested that he spend the summer at home; he only agreed because he was a little homesick. He took a train home, by himself, Crystal agreed to come down with a few weeks. Pete read to keep him mind busy from the long train ride. For just a moment, Nancy crossed his mind.

He thought about the last time he spoke to her; 2 years ago. He had been high and didn't really remember saying much to her, but he knew he had yelled. He couldn't remember what she had said, but he didn't really care...so he tried to force himself to think. He hoped that he wouldn't run into her, he didn't want to see her or see her kid. He was afraid he would see the resemblance of someone else in the child's features, of someone he possible knew. Or, he was more than scared he'd see himself in the child; he still believed it was a little boy, and that frightened him, that he had a son and he didn't even the care of him for the last 3 years. He cursed under his breath, not wanting to think about it, his heart sank at the thought. He shut his eyes momentarily, wanting to block it all out.

Once his stop arrived, he climbed off the train and entered the station where he saw his father waiting. Pete met up with him, dropping his bag to hug his dad, "Hey."

Peter patted his son back, "Hey son. How was the ride?"

"Tiring, and I'm starving."

"We're going out tonight, you can sleep till then."

"Awesome," Pete grabbed his bag and followed his dad out of the station and to the car.

The car ride was quick; they exited the car and went up to the house. Peter grabbed the mail, setting it on the counter as they went in. Dale was waiting, grinning when she saw her son, "I've missed you!"

Pete chuckled as his mother engulfed him in a tight embrace, "I missed you too, ma. Where's Hil and Andrew?"

"They're with friends but they'll be here tonight when we go out for dinner. You hungry?"

"Yeah, I am. What's there to eat?"

"Go unpack and I'll bring up a snack."

"Thanks."

Dale kissed his cheek and headed off to the kitchen. Pete said see you later to his father before jogging upstairs to his bedroom, where he tossed his bag onto the first double bed and then fell in the second, yawning tiredly.

School had gotten to him; he had insomnia and took some prescription drugs to concentrate; scripts that weren't prescribed to him. He was a year away from becoming a lawyer, and only made it through with the drugs, if he was being truly honest. He didn't look much like a typical lawyer with his semi-new tattoos; his father agreed to hire him at his firm till he was more experienced to go out on his own, find his own firm to become partner. Pete was surprised his father hadn't raked him over the coals for the tattoos. He did get yelled at for using food money to buy drugs (which he didn't tell his parents) and to pierce various body parts on a dare.

Aside from all that, Pete hated the thought of having a mundane job. He loves adventure, and thinking about it, he would be so fulfilled if Nancy hadn't of said anything. He thought he would be a lot happier than he was now; the Adderall he had swallowed on the train was making his thought stack and focus, all of it's purposes kicking in.

His moment of peaceful sleep was interrupted by his mother knocking. He sat up, rubbed his eyes and watching her come in, "I brought a sandwich."

"Thank mom," Pete murmured.

"We're going to this nice restaurant tonight to celebrate," she handed him his plate.

"Just cuz I'm home?"

"Yep," Dale nodded, "we haven't seen you since December."

"Sorry, I'm just too lazy to leave."

"It's okay. Next year you'll be home."

"Yeah...I'll find my own place."

Dale exhaled softly, wanting to say more, but didn't; "Eat up and take a nap. I'll wake you when we get ready to go."

"Sure," Pete agreed.

Dale left the room; Pete began to devour the sandwich she had made, thinking. But his mind was now fuzzy and still, he was tired and let his heavy eyes shut as he are. After finishing, he set the plate aside, laid back and his breathing sing to him like a melody. The last thought he had was of course about Nancy.


"I have to go," Nancy mumbled aloud as she began to look for her things, "anyone have change for the subway?"

"You can have my subway card," Patrick said, "my dad is giving me his old honda."

Nancy smiled gratefully, taking the card Patrick fished out of his wallet for her, "Thank you."

"What time are you getting off tonight?" Sabrina asked.

Nancy looked at her watch, "I'm working the 3 to closing, so around midnight-ish."

"You want us to keep Holly over at our place?"

Nancy hummed, "Uh, if Rae doesn't come home tonight. I think she's staying late at the shop."

"Okay, we'll get some pajamas for her ready, and leave your key under the door."

"Thanks again," Nancy went around the apartment, looking for her purse, "I get paid tomorrow afternoon--"

"You aren't supposed to pay us!" Patrick called to her as she rushed to her bedroom for her sneakers.

"I feel bad."

"Then just buy us lunch!"

Nancy laughed and began to shove her shoes on, "Sure thing!"

Just as Nancy finished, Holliday came in, clutching her teddy bear, Prince Charming, "Mama, c'n you put my money in our fun jar?"

Nancy hummed, smiling, "Yeah, but I can't chit chat."

Holly giggled, "I know!"

Nancy followed Holly to her side of the bedroom, to her little chest drawer where she kept her most favorite things. Inside was a mason jar full of bills and coins. Holliday put her bear down and picked up the heavy jar, "Ooh! 'S heavy, mama! I think we have a ba-jillion dollars."

Nancy giggled, "I think so."

"C'n we spend it?"

"Sure, what do you wanna do?"

"I wanna puppy," Holliday announced; she stuff her $10 into the jar.

Nancy frowned slightly, "We can't, baby. You know that we aren't allowed to have pets in our apartment."

"But, how come?" Holliday frowned back.

"I don't know," Nancy shrugged, her eyes catching her watch, "oh, shoot, I'm gonna be late. I'm sorry, baby girl," she kissed her daughter's head and stood, "be good for Sabrina and Patrick, okay? You might spend the night with them."

Holliday pouted, shutting her chest drawer, "Okay."

Nancy sighed, a bit of guilt filled her; she picked up Holliday and kissed her cheeks, "I promise you, one day, you'll get a puppy. One day...for now Mommy has to work her butt off, but I'm gonna get you a nice house, with your own room, and a puppy. I promise you."

Holliday smiled, hugging Nancy around her neck, "'Kay, mama. I love you."

Nancy carried her to the living room, "I love you more. Be good," she set her down on the couch next to Patrick, "She can have one more piece of cake, but that's it."

Patrick saluted Nancy, "Aye, aye captain!"

She rolled her eyes as Holliday burst into a fit of giggles; "I'll see you later."

Nancy hurried out the door, jogged down the stairway to the street.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmm...what do you think'll go down with Pete in the same town as Nancy?