The Fast Times

Thirty Eight (*-ish)

The next morning, little Holliday sat up in the bed she shared with her mommy, and found her gone. She would usually find her sleeping beside her, her arm around her small waist, keeping her close, but Holliday was all alone. She rubbed her eyes and looked around, yawning before pushing the blankets away with a cute little grunt and then climbed out the bed. Holliday rubbed her eyes again, "Mommy?" She called as she left the bedroom, "Aun'ie Rae?"

"Good morning, beautiful!" Nancy said as she came out of the bathroom.

Holliday smiled, "Mornin', mama."

"You want waffles or cereal?"

"Waffles," she said.

Nancy lent out her hand, "Okay, let's go make waffles."

In the kitchen, Nancy sat Holliday down in her booster chair, a gift from Patricia, and let her color while she made waffles batter and then used the waffle iron. Holliday spoke animatedly about what she and Patrick did the night before; "He don't play a good Prince Charmin', mama, not like Andy."

Nancy giggled, "Aw, Patrick's just not used to it like Andy is."

"C'n I wear muh new dressy? And tights?"

"Yeah, sure," Nancy answered. "I made a list of stuff we need to get, is there anything you need to remind me of?"

"Um..." Holliday hummed, "Shampoo!"

"Right, I almost forgot."

"N' lotion."

"Got that."

"I think that's it, mama."

Nancy served up waffles, cutting them and pouring syrup for Holliday. Nancy had one herself, not feeling too hungry, especially since she felt nervous about talking about Pete to Holliday. She didn't want to hurt her baby girl's feelings, she only wanted to ask her if she felt like she was missing him.

"Hey, baby doll, can I ask you somethin'?"

Holliday nodded, placing a piece of warm waffle in her mouth, "Mm-hm."

"Do you...do you feel bad because you don't have a daddy?"

Holliday looked at her, frowning slightly, "But I do have a daddy! I have 2!"

Nancy small faintly, "Andy and Patrick?"

Holliday nodded, "They's my daddies, cuz they watch me! They take me places, 'n' Andy kisses my owies...Patrick sings me a song so I sleep."

Nancy exhaled, not wanting to burst her little bubble. She bit at her bottom lip, watching Holliday continue to color and eat.

"You know, baby, that Patrick and Andy aren't your real daddies, don't you?"

Holliday frowned deeply, causing Nancy to regret saying those words. She wasn't sure how to retract them, but before she could, Holliday said, "Cuz I don't call 'em daddy?"

Nancy licked over her lips, "Uh, yeah, but you're not supposed to. Andy and Patrick are like your uncles...like on TV?" Holliday nodded; "Okay, and your daddy is someone who helped me make you."

She made a face, "Make me?"

Nancy nodded slowly, "Yeah. Only, he...he isn't around because...because...he had a lot of important stuff to do somewhere else and we couldn't come along. But I want you to know that he loves you and he doesn't hate you and him leaving wasn't your fault."

Holliday tilted her head, "Where'd he go?"

"He had to go to another state to go to school, like how me, Patrick and Sabrina go to school, like that, only somewhere else."

Holliday hummed and ate, "When's he comin' back?"

Nancy shrugged, "I dunno, but he'll be back."

"He don't have a phone?"

Nancy shook her head sadly, "Nope."

"Do ya miss 'im?"

"No--I mean, I miss him because he can't be here to meet you. But he knows you're alive, and he loves you, and one day he'll be back."

"Okay," was all Holliday replied, continuing to eat.

Nancy was in a slight shock, because she expected more questions. Holliday asked more than 100 questions within 2 hours, and Nancy expected nothing less telling her daughter about her daddy. But, Holliday didn't seem to fret, she just ate and drank milk before announcing she was done.

Nancy got up and picked her daughter up and set her on her feet, "Let's go brush out teeth and get dressed, okay?"

"'Kay!"


Pete woke up to the burning pain across his back. He groaned deeply, immediately placing his hand to his shoulder, forgetting for a split moment that he had been tattooed the night before. He got up, wincing at the burning pain, like an untreated sunburn rubbing against the fabric of his t-shirt.

He ripped his shirt off, and stumbled tiredly to the bathroom, searching for the light switch, then squinting once the lights illuminated the room. Pete inched his eyes open until they adjusted to the the bright light and then tired to check his back. There was dry blood mixed with black ink and sweat falling down his back. He inhaled sharply and walked over to the shower, turning on and adjusting the water before taking his boxers off and hopping in.

As the warm, cool water washed away the blood and ink, his mind replayed last night's events. The main thing that stuck out was Rae saying it was his daughter's birthday the day before. He didn't know her birthday, he couldn't remember the last time he had ever acknowledge the thought of Nancy's kid actually having a birthday. This thought was heavy on him; he hated himself for trying to deny her even more, but wouldn't admit that that was his daughter. He didn't want to, he didn't want to admit that he had let her walk away, that he didn't fight for her to stay all those years ago.

He growled as he thought and washed his burning back; he couldn't handle the mental and physical pain. He could only deal with one; he decided on the burning pain rather than think about his daughter. Pete climbed out of the shower, drying himself off, cleaning his tattooed back gently before going to the medicine cabinet for ointment and slathering it across his shoulders, deciding to go shirtless for the rest of the day.

Downstairs, he found his mother heading out for work; she had said something about cleaning, to which Pete grunted before heading to the kitchen. In pain and starving, Pete took out cold pizza from who knows how long and heated it up. The house was quiet, he wondered if any of his family was home; he looked at the clock on the stove and saw it was only 9; "I should call Crystal," he said to himself.

Crystal's the only thing that could take his mind off of things. Even if he didn't love her, he liked her, she was a great distraction.

He grabbed his good and headed back upstairs, eating his pizza along the way. Once in, he set his pizza down and found the cordless phone, dialing Crystal's number. As he listened to the ringing on the other end, he saw the letter that he received from someone; Pete didn't open it, he just fingered it.

"Hey, you reached Mya and Crystal and Kendra! Leave a message after the beep!"

Pete sighed and hung up; he was suddenly missing his great distraction. The girl with bright red hair; dyed from the blood of Virgin Mary, as she said jokingly. She was a sweet girl, but labeled herself goth; she wore a lot of black, with black boots or black high heels. Her makeup was done immaculately, like a professional had done it. Pete was smitten from the moment he met her, in his psych class.

Two years ago, he hooked up with Crystal, and kept on until seven months ago when she said she wanted more, and Pete didn't seem to think it wasn't that big a deal. She was the only girl he was sleeping with consistently, having other girls on the side, but dumped them once Crystal became his girlfriend. She was the one who supplied him with the drugs he needed to finish his deadlines and tests. Even though she was his drug dealer, Crystal cared more about Pete than Pete wanted to admit; he didn't want to love another girl, the last girl he loved screwed him over -so he thinks. Pete thought he'd grow to love again, he just didn't want to force it like he had with Nancy.

Deep down, he didn't want to admit this either, but he still had some love left for her.


Nancy picked up items after getting Holliday a bag of fresh popcorn. Holliday hated to ride in the cart so she hummed and danced as she walked beside Nancy, making sure to keep within reach. Holliday would stop dancing and then walk, holding Nancy's hand.

"Babe," Nancy looked down at Holliday, "I think you should sit in the cart."

Holliday shook her head, "It hurts muh butt!"

Nancy smiled, "Just for a little while."

Holliday pouted, "'Kay."

Nancy picked her up and set her in the toddler seat; "I don't wanna lose you, you're my favorite little person in the world."

Holliday giggled, "I won't get los', silly mama."

Nancy kissed her forehead, over her bangs, "I know, but better safe than sorry."

Holliday shrugged and continued to eat her popcorn, making little jokes as they walked throughout the store, picking up necessities. At the checkout line, Nancy took Holliday out of the cart and told her to hold her hand, to which she did. Another successful trip to the store was behind them, all that was left was to pay and head to Georgio's.

Holliday skipped beside Nancy as she pushed the cart towards her car; her car hadn't changed since she left the Wentz's. It had barely been driven in the past 3 years; it was a technique Nancy had used to save money and to keep from being recognized around Chicago.

Nancy out away her purchases and then buckled Holliday into her car seat; the little girl continued to hum. As they drove away, Nancy fiddled with the radio to find something for Holliday to pretend to sing to; she loves to sing because of Patrick. She settled on a station that was playing a familiar tune; she sang along until she realized what song it was.

"Ooh! I like this mama!" Holliday said excitedly, "Who dis?"

Nancy swallowed, listening to the lyrics I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar / I am the son and heir of nothing in particular. She cleared her throat, memories of Pete filled her thoughts, "It's uh...uh, the Smiths. They're an old band."

"I like 'em!" Holliday exclaimed.

"Yeah, me too, baby."

Nancy's mind drifted as she drove, singing along to How Soon Is Now.

The song long ended by the time they arrived at Georgio's. Holliday held Nancy's hand as they went in, maneuvering around the guest as cautiously as they could. Nancy went to her boss's office, beside the kitchen and knocked. Dave called out, "Come in!"

Nancy opened the door and led Holliday in, "Hey Dave, I'm here to pick up my check."

"Hey," Dave smiled; he was an older black man with a bald head; "I heard it was your birthday yesterday, miss Holly."

Holliday nodded, smiling back, "Uh-huh! I'm 3!"

"Congratulations," Dave chuckled; he looked at Nancy, "here's your check, the new schedule's will be up on Sunday, that's when you come in at 12."

Nancy nodded, "Yep."

Dave handed her her check, "Have a good one. Next time your little girl has dinner here, dessert is on us."

Nancy smiled, "That's so nice of you! Thanks Dave."

"No problem. I'll see you Sunday."

"Yeah," Nancy murmured, "see ya. Say bye, Holly."

Holliday waved to Dave, "Bye, bye Mr. Dave."

He smiled again, "Bye, bye miss Holly."

Nancy led the way out, shutting the door, and then picking up Holliday, "Free dessert, sounds awesome, huh?"

Holliday hummed, "Yeah...c'n we get a movie?"

Nancy smiled and kissed her cheek, "Yeah, we can get a movie."


Pete was sitting at home by himself, bored out of his mind. He watched TV, his mind not actively thinking of anything. As he flipped the channels, there came a knock on the front door. Pete looked over and sighed, getting up and heading over. He opened the door, and came face to face with his favorite distraction.

Crystal jumped into Pete's arms, "Hey love!"

Pete felt pain in his shoulders, "Oh, babe! Let go for a second!"

Crystal let him go and looked at him worriedly, "What happened? Did I hurt you?"

Pete hissed softly, running his hand over the moist ointment slathered across his shoulders, "Nah, I just got tattooed last night," he turned to show her.

Crystal cooed, noticing the slickness of ointment on her hands, "I'm sorry...it looks nice. Who did it?"

"An old friend, Andy," he said turning back; "why--how come you're here? I thought you weren't coming for another two weeks?"

Crystal grabbed her bags and came into the house; Pete shut the door; "I wanted to surprise you! Plus, the summer sucks in New York without my lover," she gave him a lustful wink.

Pete smirked slightly, "Oh yeah?"

She bit down on her bottom lip, "Oh, yeah."

Pete grabbed her hand and led her upstairs without another word. He knew his family wouldn't be back for at least another few hours; Andrew was off hanging out at his friends and Hilary was with her own, shopping and hanging out at the mall. Pete had the house to himself and wanted to take advantage of it while he had his greatest distraction with him.

It wasn't long before the couple had she'd clothes in his bedroom and stumbled to his bed. It was small compared to the one back in New York, but they weren't complaining. Crystal climbed on top of Pete, kissing him as he laid down, even with the pain in his back, he let it course and heat through him, ignoring it because he had something to stop it. He placed his hands on Crystal's bare hips, feeling her pale and hot skin, thinking deeply about what he was about to do.

"You got condoms?" She asked, breaking away from their heated kiss.

Pete grunted and pointed to the dresser beside his bed, "Bottom drawer."

He rubbed her thighs as she reached over and found the condoms. As she ripped it open, in Pete's mind, Crystal suddenly morphed into Nancy. He jumped, causing Crystal to looked at him with a tilted head; she had Nancy's face, Pete was more aroused now, but in shock at how his mind was playing tricks on him without being intoxicated.

"Are you okay?" Crystal asked.

Pete shook his head to rid her face out of his mind; it worked, "I'm fine. Put it on me," he ordered shortly.

Crystal smirked and slipped the condom over his erection, stroking after, working him harder beneath her. Pete bit down on his bottom lip with a deep sigh, "Fuck me, Cy."

He couldn't believe her nickname fell from his lips, but Crystal didn't seem to notice. She assumed it was C for her name. She went with the flow, appeasing Pete, stroking him harder for a moment before slipping him inside of her.

Pete grunted, his head fell back with his hands holding her hips tightly. With eyes shut tight, he thought of Nancy and the last time they had sex. It was the best he had ever had, he didn't want to admit this, but he knew it. This time around, he was just letting his animal side take over, fucking Crystal like it was Nancy, keeping her name on the back of his tongue.

Crystal rocked on top of Pete, rubbing his chest before leaning down and kissing him. She was falling in love with Pete and told him so, but he didn't seem to hear whenever she said it. She knew nothing of his past, but was curious as to why he never went home and why he never bragged about girls he fucked like his friends at school did. This only attracted her to Pete even more, he was different and that turned her on. She rolled her hips hard, breaking away to cry out, "I love you!"

Pete grunted, "I love you too, Cy," not even thinking twice about it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Do you think Crystal will find out who the real Cy is?