The Fast Times

Thirty Nine

Nancy and Holliday arrived home with their shopping bags; Holliday carried one, along with her little black purse Rae had bought her for her birthday, in which Holliday put her crown and bracelets Andy had bought her. She walked up the stairs like she owned the place, causing Nancy to giggle. They walked into the apartment, seeing Rae carrying a laundry basket from the kitchen; "Oh, Cy, your boss from Starbucks called, you have to go in half an hour."

Nancy frowned, "Are you serious?"

"Yeah she just called, that's why I was in the kitchen."

Nancy cursed under her breath, "Okay, lemme put this stuff away. Are you able to watch Holly?"

"I can take her to the shop with me," Rae said, "I'm only gonna be there for a bit."

"Thanks," Nancy murmured, "I'm sorry about always dumping her with you."

Rae shook her head, "It's fine, I love little Smell Melly."

Holliday frowned at Rae, "Hey! Only Andy c'n call me dat!"

Rae giggled, "Oh, I'm so sorry."

Holliday smiled, "'S okay, Aun'ie Rae."

"I'm gonna go out my clothes away," Rae said, "then me and Holly Dolly are gonna go cause a ruckus with Andy! Right, Holly?"

"Right!" Holliday exclaimed.

Rae, Nancy and Holliday went about putting things away. Once Nancy had finished, she went to the bathroom and began to do her hair and makeup while Holliday helped put away her own clothes with Rae.

Nancy kept glancing at her watch, hoping she wouldn't be late; she could've sworn she had the day off, but knew that they were often short staffed and called her in unannounced. She finished getting ready and grabbed her sweater and keys, "Okay, I'm out. Come gimme a kiss, Holly."

Holliday came running from the bedroom and hopped into Nancy's arms, "When will ya be back?"

"I'm not sure, but I'll call. You be a good girl for Rae, and if Andy tries to give you a tattoo, you say no."

Holliday smiled, "I will."

Nancy kissed her forehead, "I love you, baby girl."

Holliday kissed her cheek, "I love you, mama."


Crystal had begged Pete to show her around Chicago. Even with the pain, Pete had agreed, wanting to get out the house as well. Pete took his old car and took Crystal into the city, to get coffee at her urging.

"I got some pills," she said, gaining his attention. "Mostly downers. I couldn't refill my Ritalin."

Pete just shrugged, "It's okay."

Crystal wanted all of Pete's attention, since he "professed" his love for her. She was head over heels in love and it was blinding to common sense. She was set in pleasing Pete so he'd give her more.

Pete wasn't thinking straight. He just wanted his mind off of things, so he held out his hand. Crystal dropped half a bar of Xanax in his hand, "There."

Pete popped it, swallowing it without another thought. He drove continuously, feeling the effects come within a few minutes. On Xanax, he felt drunk and it made him feel warm inside; it didn't help him get work done, not like the Adderall, but it helped him relax some.

Pete pulled up at a Starbucks just under the L; he parked in the back and when he got out, he let Crystal take a hold of his hand and lead the way inside. Inside, Pete smiled lazily as the sweet smell of coffee and whipped cream filled his senses.

"What do you want?" Crystal asked him.

"I want a hot chocolate," he said, "I don't wanna kill my buzz."

Crystal giggled and tugged him to the register. The girl behind the counter smiled, "Welcome to Starbucks, I'm Gemma, what can I get you?"

"One mocha frap, and one hot chocolate, extra whipped cream," Crystal answered.

"And your names?"

"Crystal and Pete," she giggled then.

Crystal paid after the barista rang up her order and the couple went and sat at a empty table.

Nancy couldn't believe how small Chicago seemed to be. Seeing Pete at her jobs couldn't be a coincidence. She suspected he could be following her.

"Cy?" Gemma tapped her arm, "Did you get the order?"

Nancy looked away from where Pete and Crystal were sitting and hummed, "Y-yeah, sorry."

Gemma patted her shoulder, "It's cool. So, how's the little one?"

Nancy began to grind ice before answering, then pouring Crystal's drink and adding whipped cream, "She's good, you know. I was hoping to spend today with her."

"Yeah," Gemma scoffed, "Francine took the day off. Some manager."

Nancy just shook her head, "I need the money anyway. I wanna get out that apartment."

Nancy and Gemma made small talk; Nancy had almost forgotten that Pete was there with his girlfriend. She didn't even think about him until his name left her lips, "Uh, Pete--" she stopped short, then went on, "'Nd Crystal."

Nancy tried to turn before he saw her, but it was too late. Pete stared at her like she wasn't real. He rubbed his eyes animatedly, squinting at her; "Nancy?"

Nancy just waved and forced a weak smile, "Hi."

Pete swallowed and turned around, taking his drink with him. Crystal was confused as she watched him march out the store. She looked at Nancy and didn't say anything; she turned back and followed after Pete.

Nancy sighed, relieved. She leaned against the counter and shut her eyes, feeling her chest grow heavy.

"Who was that?" Gemma asked with a cocked brow once Nancy opened her eyes.

"This guy I went to school with," she answered softly, "haven't seen him in awhile."

"He's kinda hot, in an emo sorta way..." Gemma kidded.

Nancy shook her head, "Sure, whatever you say."

Outside, Pete sat in the driver seat just looking out the window. Crystal was confused still and looking at Pete, "Babe?"

Pete looked over at her, meeting her deep blue eyes, "Yeah?"

"Who was that girl?"

Pete exhaled, "This girl I used to date."

Crystal hummed, highly intrigued, "Did she cheat on you?"

Pete frowned, "No..."

"Then what is it?"

Pete just wavered his head, looking forward, "She dumped me."

Crystal rolled her eyes at the thought, "Her loss."

Pete was set to explain, the drunken feeling from the drugs made his mind want to say all that was held up in his heart and head, but he didn't. He just kept his mouth shut and drove away.

Her green eyes were haunting him; his mind fogging. His chest was growing tight and he was set to be sick. Pete wanted to turn around and talk to Nancy and apologize, but the anger in him wouldn't allow that. It was her loss, as Crystal had said, and Pete didn't want to relent his anguish and just forgive her. Even if it meant not knowing his daughter, he wouldn't apologize, and this part of him hated how conflicted he was.

At home, he found his little brother home with his friends. They were loud and they were rushing through the house to get to the backyard to swim. Pete let Andrew and his friends pass before jetting up the stairs with Crystal; Pete was all over her this time, trying to combat the overwhelming feelings surging through him.


Nancy got off of work at 6:30PM; the nightly rush from teenagers had made her and Gemma work twice as hard as they usually did. Three other employees came in for their shifts, so Nancy and Gemma were free to clock out. Nancy went straight home, wanting to eat and watch the Home Alone movie Holliday had begged for.

She walked into her apartment, it was quiet, to which Nancy wondered if Rae and Holliday were there or not; "Rae? Holly?"

Instead of either, Sabrina came out from the kitchen, "Hey, Rae asked me to watch Holly, she had to go into the shop."

Nancy exhaled tiredly, "Okay. Uh, here," she dug into her pocket, pulling out some cash, "these are my tips, thanks."

Sabrina took the money, "You don't have to, ya'know."

"I want to. You guys are amazing for watching Holly as much as you do for me."

Sabrina shrugged, "I want to, Cy, she's fun to watch."

"I'm sorry...were you just getting home from your extra tutoring classes?"

Sabrina shook her head, "No, I actually got a job at this fabulous retail store right around the corner and I finished up some paper work there. I dropped my summer classes, I need money more than I need to tutor kids for free."

"That's great, Sabrina," Nancy coursed her hair back, "I won't keep you. Where's my munchkin?"

Sabrina smiled, "Well I fed her, then we played Barbies before she got tired and went to sleep. She literally went to sleep about 10 minutes ago, I put her juice away."

"Thanks. I owe you."

"Don't worry about it. I'm gonna head out and cook for Patrick."

"Alright, I'll see you later."

Nancy showed Sabrina out, and then locked the door behind her before heading to her bedroom. Just as Sabrina had said, Holliday was sleeping in their bed with her favorite blanket and Prince Charming. Nancy kissed her forehead before she began to take off her uniform and pulling on pajama shorts and a shirt.

Nancy's hunger had gone away, the need to sleep next to her baby was overwhelming. She didn't think twice about climbing into bed, then pulling the small throw at the end of bed over herself and Holliday. Nancy wrapped her arms around her, feeling Holliday murmur sleepily and snuggle close to her. Kissing the back of her head, Nancy murmured, "I love you, baby doll," before shutting her eyes and waiting for sleep to take over.

Her only thoughts before she feel into a deep sleep was how much Pete was missing.